Rockstar calls out terrible parents

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Scythe
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100833-Rockstar-Only-Terrible-Parents-Buy-Our-Games-for-Their-Kids

'bout time.

quanchi112
Interesting.

Rogue Jedi
Nice, I've been preaching this ever since I played GTA.

However, dude is full of shit. I highly doubt he has any moral qualms on kids playing the games. Publicity stunt.

Scythe
Publicity stunt? Well, obviously.

Rogue Jedi
If somehow he could literally prevent said parents from buying the games for their kids, from keeping all people under the age 17-18 from buying the games, I wonder how much money Rockstar games would lose.

Peach
Considering how much their games sell, probably would hardly make a dent.

Also I don't necessarily think they mean no one under 18 should play their games. However, when you see a parent buying GTA or Red Dead for a 10 year old...that is a problem, in my opinion.

inimalist
most interesting part of the article:

for as artsy as GTA4 was, the gameplay did not fit the story. The troubled immagrant with a sorded past didn't really go too well with mowing down 40 mafia guys with an RPG and constant murder. Its like their own surreal gameplay prevented the realism in the story from being effective.

Anyways, its not news that children shouldn't play this. Its more telling that the Sopranos is considered as a form of high art and Roger Ebert can come out and say, I've never played video games, but they aren't art.

Liberator
Took them long enough to be honest.

Robtard
Take that Hillary Clinton!

But as someone said above, this is nothing more than a stunt to spread awareness of their games and up their sales. Clever marketing, that.

siriuswriter
so if parents are terrible for buying... aren't the people who make them like... "evil" terrible?

Scythe
Originally posted by siriuswriter
so if parents are terrible for buying... aren't the people who make them like... "evil" terrible?

More like chaotic evil, or neutral evil, it all depends how you look at it.

The Nuul
Regardless of their little stunt, they are right.

Ordo
Amen.

Peach

No, because they're not making them for kids, they're making them for adults.

chomperx9
Originally posted by Peach
No, because they're not making them for kids, they're making them for adults. i had a parent buy her 12 year old son GTA san andres on PS2. i explained to her what the game was about and its M rated but she didnt mind.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Scythe
Publicity stunt? Well, obviously.

Yeah, but one that has a message of a thousand voices.
Obviously Rockstar is trying gain some notoriety but as long as they keep producing games that are more artistic and intellectual than profane they have a pedestal that is supported by more than just large sales. They have integrity.

Rockstar has two legs to stand on, so they took a risk and made a public statement which fires back against censorship and political correctness. It's a gamble that will see them winnings in either outcome. I think it's a classy move...,all things considered. I doubt EA or Capcom would have had the balls to do something like that. They usually go out of their way to avoid negativity like that.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by Peach
No, because they're not making them for kids, they're making them for adults.

which is still an epic fail. kids get allowances. they have been known to save up for the games...

"We were only making the games for adults!" = The Nuremberg Defense of the video game industry

inimalist
which is still an epic fail. kids get allowances. they have been known to save up for the games...

"We were only making the games for adults!" = The Nuremberg Defense of the video game industry

how silly

apply that to movies and tv

do you think all media should be inoffensive to everyone?

/sigh

Symmetric Chaos

At which point it is the responsibility of retailers to not sell M rated games to kids, most of them have adopted this policy. By law in the US games that have an AO rating can't be sold to kids.

inimalist
and in practice, no major retailers will carry AO games

The Nuul
Ratings or not, parents should be doing their jobs.

inimalist

wow, actually, deconstructing this, you look rather foolish

The Nuremburg defense is: Individual actors are not responsible for their actions because they were ordered to.

For Rockstar's position to even come close to this, individual Rockstar employees would have to be saying they aren't personally responsible for the content of their games, they were forced to create it and sell it.

And the article shows this to be undeniably false. Individual Rockstar employees did the specific opposite. They took full individual responsibility for the content of the game, and said that there was a problem in the way these were distributed (parents, retailers, etc). They are not attempting to pass responsibility off for their actions, they are expecting those who society has deemed the caretakers of children to use proper, industry designed, content warnings which are in practice identical to those that exist in music and movies.

so ya, you can try to paint this however you want, your position is fairly limited, and inappropriate appeals to nazis shows you probably aren't taking this too seriously anyways

EDIT: you are also in the rather ridiculous position of comparing human produced media made for a mature audience that demands it in a totally consentual context to the imposition of genocide on a race of people. The former requiring no justification, because it is simply the market and nobody is getting hurt, the latter caused the death of 6+ million people in the most terrible of ways.

do you work for PETA by chance?

BackFire
I don't really agree with the premise that all parents who buy these games for their kids are bad. In some cases, they may be very good parents. And they buy them for their kids because they know their children are educated and smart enough to know the difference between a video game and real life.

The ones who just lazily buy their kids whatever they want without any knowledge of the product, and then get upset when little Jimmy kills a hooker - yeah, bad parents.

chomperx9
Originally posted by inimalist
and in practice, no major retailers will carry AO games i havent seen an A rated game in along time.

§P0oONY
Rockstar hasn't said anything... It was Lazlow, a man who I highly doubt has the authority to speak for the company.

siriuswriter
I don't work for PETA, and I meant the comment more as humor.

inimalist
mine to, if you can believe it

siriuswriter
if i could hear the tone of voice you would say that it in, yeah, i probably woulda caught the joke. sarcasm isn't easy over the web.

inimalist
it wasn't sarcasm per se, just that deconstructionism is fun.

A sufficent amount of words is all that is required to make anything mean anything.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.