Eli versus The Road Warrior...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
Eli is, as in "The Book of Eli", carrying the last King James Bible on him in the apocolyptic future. However, instead of the land he was wandering in "The Book of Eli", he is wandering Australia, the same land where "The Road Warrior" is set. He is heading west, and everyone is after the book. The Humungus, Wez, hell, even Max, Pappagallo and his people.

Can Eli keep the book safe from them? He has the following weapons: Pistol with one 17 round mag. Shotgun with seven rounds. His blade. Any other weapons he used on screen.

Rogue Jedi
You guys suck.

Rogue Jedi
Bump. Eli protects the book.

Placidity
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Eli is, as in "The Book of Eli", carrying the last King James Bible on him in the apocolyptic future. However, instead of the land he was wandering in "The Book of Eli", he is wandering Australia, the same land where "The Road Warrior" is set. He is heading west, and everyone is after the book. The Humungus, Wez, hell, even Max, Pappagallo and his people.

Can Eli keep the book safe from them? He has the following weapons: Pistol with one 17 round mag. Shotgun with seven rounds. His blade. Any other weapons he used on screen.

God was protecting Eli so he could reach his destination and deliver the Bible/Himself.

Nothing could have stopped him.

Rogue Jedi
I'm talking about Eli and his skills alone, no protection.

Placidity
I'm talking about Eli and his skills alone, no protection.

No thats the point, he has no skills. Everything he did was an act of God. The man was blind in case you didn't know.

the ninjak
It's the Blues Bros vs Hogwarts all over again.

Darth Martin
Eli is much better than Max.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Placidity
No thats the point, he has no skills. Everything he did was an act of God. The man was blind in case you didn't know. In the movie he was blind? You sure?

Darth Martin
No thats the point, he has no skills. Everything he did was an act of God. The man was blind in case you didn't know. God or not, skills or not; his feats are better than Max'. By alot.

the ninjak
In the movie he was blind? You sure?

confused mad eek!

Spoiler Fricken Alert!

Max doesn't deserve this punishment....as a matter of fact if they ever crossed paths Max would pick him up and they would get along like a house on fire.

Stalemate....

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by the ninjak
confused mad eek!

Spoiler Fricken Alert!

Max doesn't deserve this punishment....as a matter of fact if they ever crossed paths Max would pick him up and they would get along like a house on fire.

Stalemate.... It's not just Max, dude.

Rogue Jedi
I googled this answer as to whether or not Eli was blind:

Yes he is blind. Since the movie is semi-biblical you should know there was an Eli in the Bible and he was blind. He was also somewhat of a fighter I believe.
Halfway through the movie Eli could hear Carnegie's (the main bad guys) cars start up. Later he heard them coming long before they got there. Like most blind people his other senses were hightened because he didn't have any sight. He also could smell the cannibals at the beginning. He did not shoot the wild cat until it meowed. He heard the bird flying through the air before he shot it. Go see the movie again if you want. You might see some stuff that's hard to explain, but you'll be amazed at the things you'll notice if you start it knowing he's blind. One of the coolest things I remembered is that during the gunfight he didn't shoot the snipers until they shot at him. After he shot all the men he walked out and didnt' shoot the man standing in the road.
Why? I think it's because the man didn't shoot at Eli and Eli didn't know the man was there because Eli couldn't see him. After the fight in the older couple's house Eli waved his knife around, but didn't fight because he couldn't tell where the men were. They weren't shooting or talking or moving even so he had no idea how to fight them.
There is a lot of other evidence throughout the movie. During the fight at the beginning he could hear the fighters because they were cannibals. Later it explains that cannibals shake because they have had too much human meat. The men he fought, all shook their weapons. The chainsaw guy was obvious.
Apparently he shouldn't have known that there were the connectors to his radio. Well the scene entered in after he had gotten it back. Who knows but I say he had felt them.
I don't agree he had the hand of god in battle because he got shot later. Its just that when the man shot at him in the street he had bad aim. The second bullet flicked the top of Eli's coat. That is my answer. I may have misinterpreted things because I have only seen it once, but it was a great movie and I may see it again.

Coupla things wrong here.

1. After the fight in the older couple's house Eli waved his knife around, but didn't fight because he couldn't tell where the men were. They weren't shooting or talking or moving even so he had no idea how to fight them. ......Eli didn't fight because he had a bullet through the torso, he was spent. The men were standing there, their feet were shuffling, their weapons making noises as they brought them to bear. He heard them.

2. After he shot all the men he walked out and didnt' shoot the man standing in the road.
Why? I think it's because the man didn't shoot at Eli and Eli didn't know the man was there because Eli couldn't see him. .....Eli knew right where he was, he was looking right at him.

There's way too much evidence that he is NOT blind, but according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Eli

He is indeed blind. And the whole "Walk by faith, not by sight" proves it. Damn, I've seen Eli half a dozen times and never imagined him as blind.

Placidity

2. After he shot all the men he walked out and didnt' shoot the man standing in the road.
Why? I think it's because the man didn't shoot at Eli and Eli didn't know the man was there because Eli couldn't see him. .....Eli knew right where he was, he was looking right at him.

Well, he wasn't looking at anyone, cause he was blind. He just happened to be facing him. wink

There's way too much evidence that he is NOT blind, but according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Eli

He is indeed blind. And the whole "Walk by faith, not by sight" proves it. Damn, I've seen Eli half a dozen times and never imagined him as blind.

Theres no evidence at all, only movie mistakes, or that God helped him.

How did you watch the ending and not know he was blind?

confused

BTW: Quoted by the scriptwriter

Off-topic, but Gary Oldman is such a good actor. I never knew he had this level of range before this. For example I had no idea he played Dracula.

Rogue Jedi
This is the part where you shut it. You not knowing he played Drake is worse than me not seeing that Eli was blind yes

God's "protection", I assumed it kept him from physical harm. Gave him an edge in combat, made him faster and shit. I never thought that he was blind and that God helped him see things. That's what was shown, you know. There were a shitload of scenes where there were no signs at all of Eli being blind.

Remember the scene where he shoots the cat with his bow? He walks over, picks it up, and examines it, man. It literally shows him poking it and looking at it. And the scene where the elderly couple show him the graves, he knew what they were showing him.

The brail Bible? Well, Eli had memorized it, he obviously was smart as hell, I thought they threw that in there (him reading brail) to drive that fact home. Also to protect the Bible should it fall into the wrong hands.

Hell Yeah, Oldman totally stole that movie.

Rogue Jedi
Fun fact: The movie took place 30 years after the devastation and it took 3 years for him to dictate totaling 33 years which was the age that Christ died.

Also, here's more evidence that Eli was not blind:

1. He sees the car on the side of the road at the beginning and goes over to it to check for something (the radio i assume)
2. When he shoots the cat, he walks over to it, picks it up, looks it up and down and also glances at his arrow to make sure its ok..
3. After falling asleep with the ipod in he looks at it when he wakes up and sees that the battery is dead..
4. Also when hes leaving after spending the night in the town, he is going to pick up his radio that was charging, when he gets there the guy has it plugged up still and Eli points to the 2 cables, and tells the store man to take them off that he has to go now.
5. When he and Solara are walking and he says "Walk by faith, not by sight", he is looking at the ground as he walks, watching where he walks.
6. When Solara asks him to read some of the book to her, he looks at her, then over his shoulder, making sure there was no one around.
7. Finally, as he approaches the edge of that overpass, he stops and hides behind the rock, and several times peeks over it to see the hijackers killing those 2 people, then remembers the guy in the bar when he comes up to him for shooing the cat..

These are just seven of many examples.

There you have it, folks. Eli was not blind. The Bible being braile was to protect it should it fall into the wrong hands, that's all. Not many sighted people can read braile, but if someone can memorize the entire King James Bible, then they can certainly teach themselves how to read braile. IF he was in fact sight impaired, then God enabled him to see, despite his handicap.

Placidity

There you have it, folks. Eli was not blind. The Bible being braile was to protect it should it fall into the wrong hands, that's all. Not many sighted people can read braile, but if someone can memorize the entire King James Bible, then they can certainly teach themselves how to read braile. IF he was in fact sight impaired, then God enabled him to see, despite his handicap.

Well, yeah, except that part where the film ending reveals he is blind, and also the writer discussed how he was blind. So you decided to argue anyway despite that. Makes sense to me.

You kinda did a 180 there, a few times in fact.

Rogue Jedi
Well, yeah, except that part where the film ending reveals he is blind, and also the writer discussed how he was blind. So you decided to argue anyway despite that. Makes sense to me.

You kinda did a 180 there, a few times in fact. Got a link where the writer said that?

And how do you explain this:

1. He sees the car on the side of the road at the beginning and goes over to it to check for something (the radio i assume)
2. When he shoots the cat, he walks over to it, picks it up, looks it up and down and also glances at his arrow to make sure its ok..
3. After falling asleep with the ipod in he looks at it when he wakes up and sees that the battery is dead..
4. Also when hes leaving after spending the night in the town, he is going to pick up his radio that was charging, when he gets there the guy has it plugged up still and Eli points to the 2 cables, and tells the store man to take them off that he has to go now.
5. When he and Solara are walking and he says "Walk by faith, not by sight", he is looking at the ground as he walks, watching where he walks.
6. When Solara asks him to read some of the book to her, he looks at her, then over his shoulder, making sure there was no one around.
7. Finally, as he approaches the edge of that overpass, he stops and hides behind the rock, and several times peeks over it to see the hijackers killing those 2 people, then remembers the guy in the bar when he comes up to him for shooing the cat..

I also said this:

IF he was in fact sight impaired, then God enabled him to see, despite his handicap.

Rogue Jedi
There are two possible explanations for this:

1. Eli was not blind.

or

2. Eli was blind, but God enabled him to see/sense his surroundings. IF he was blind, he somehow knew what was around him at all times. And no, enhanced hearing/smell due to his loss of vision would not enable him to do the things he did.

The seven scenes I listed prove this.

Make that eight: When Eli enters the old shack in the beginning and takes the dead mans boots, he opens the door where the man is hanging, looks him up and down, looks at the boots, cocks his head like "oh snap", then, as he is putting them on, he is looking at them, admiring them. And when he is walking around the shack, bobbing up and down, happy with his new boots, he is looking right at them.

Menetnashté
He was definitely blind Rogue, the Bible being Braille was a clear pointer to it, that's the conclusion everyone came to, you were supposed to be astonished that he could do all of these things despite him being blind, because God helped him through it.

And what does the Mad Max crew have in their arsenal?

Placidity
Got a link where the writer said that?

And how do you explain this:

You think because you (and google no doubt) noticed a few inconsistencies/movie mistakes you have "proof"? Everyone else who has seen the film knows he was clearly blind, that was the 'twist' of the movie. Not only that, I've provided you with the writer discussing that Eli was blind too.

Quit being an ass. If you're still going to be adamant, then I'm not going to bother anymore. Don't let me stop you from giving yourself a pat on the back.

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/01/18/interview-part-1-gary-whitta-on-the-book-of-eli/

Rogue Jedi
So you're going with this:

2. Eli was blind, but God enabled him to see/sense his surroundings. IF he was blind, he somehow knew what was around him at all times. And no, enhanced hearing/smell due to his loss of vision would not enable him to do the things he did.

]

K.

marwash22
hmmmm. bunch of dudes with mopeds and guns vs. the hand of God.

rape.

Rogue Jedi
roll eyes (sarcastic)

jinXed by JaNx

It all depends on whether or not God decides to keep, Eli unharmed through his entire journey. When, God wasn't looking, Eli took a bullet to the gut just like any other schlub. stick out tongue

Robtard

@sshole, that's the whole point of the movie. He's just a blind man, who God empowered with gifts (sight being one of them) to complete a task.

There were small clues throughout the movie, but when he reaches Alcatraz (no longer needs vision for the remainder of his task), you can clearly see he's blind, as his eyes glaze over and take on the appearance of a blind-man's eyes. @sshole.

So God > Australia

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Robtard
@sshole, that's the whole point of the movie. He's just a blind man, who God empowered with gifts (sight being one of them) to complete a task.

There were small clues throughout the movie, but when he reaches Alcatraz (no longer needs vision for the remainder of his task), you can clearly see he's blind, as his eyes glaze over and take on the appearance of a blind-man's eyes. @sshole.

Yet this:

Fun fact: The movie took place 30 years after the devastation and it took 3 years for him to dictate totaling 33 years which was the age that Christ died.

Also, here's more evidence that Eli was not blind:

Rogue Jedi
FFS, it's not like God, during the shootout scene where he shoots Carnegie, is oVer his shoulder screaming "TOP LEFT!!!"

Robtard
Yet he's still a blind man empowered by God to carry out a task.

Like I said, God > Australia /end (no offense meant towards any Australian members/viewers)

SpadeKing

He does do some un-explainable things for a blind guy but...

1. He wasn't even glancing at the car, he more than likely smelt the dead body in the car when he walked next to it, then he finally turned to look at it, and he also used swung his bag at the car before touching it, then only felt around the gas and brake pedal area, where the person's feet were at.

2. He was also wipe his hand across the area and was feeling around the cat , it shouldn't be too hard for someone to figure out where their arrow flew straight at and where a dying cat noise came from.

3. You don't have to see to know an Ipod has died especially when he wasn't just looking at it, he was pressed the buttons 8 times, otherwise he would've known it was dead from the start. ermm
Not only that when he woke up he stared out the window into the sky where the sun was shining without blinking, which is more than likely how he was able to tell which direction to head.

4. This is one of those unexplainable things.

5. I'm pretty sure "Walk by faith, not by sight" was the story premise.

6. Not exactly over his shoulder, he stared towards her for about 3 seconds then turned his head for 1 and got up and recited the part of psalm 23. It was more of a thinking type of head turn. I doubt he would need to check on someone coming up on them if he can sense a bird flying from behind him.

7. He remembers hearing the motorcycles, I doubt even someone who could see, could remember them by their faces from that distance let alone see the people clearly.

I don't think having the memory capacity to memorize the entire Bible would've helped him learn braille. I knew two people who used to live next door to me who were both blind and both, as far as I know, memorized the entire Bible, I believe only one of them actually could read braille but, I do remember them having other people read to them.
So I'm going with he was originally blind to begin with, or was going blind by the time he found the book and eventually found someone to teach him, cause he isn't going to learn braille on his own without some sort of guide.

Rogue Jedi
So you're going with this:

K.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.