TPM Maul vs AOTC Obi Wan and AOTC Anakin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
Setting: Where Maul fought Qui Gon and Obi Wan in TPM, aka that palace in Naboo.

1. Sabers
2. Force
3. All out

DarthDaniel1001
Maul. Obi-Wan only beat him because of a lucky move, and after Maul had taken down a Jedi far superior to Episode 2 Anakin. Also, none of the three combatants are shown to have a particularly high mastery over the force, so I'd just have an all-out fight and not bother with the first two rounds.

Darth Martin
Maul.

Neither Anakin or Kenobi are as good as Qui Gon was. Overall, they're a more powerful group of Jedi, but not nearly as cohesive a team as the TPM duo were. Based on Kenobi's showing against Dooku, he isn't impressive at all. Anakin couldn't dream of taking Maul.

Lord Lucien
Anakin's got the youth and stamina to keep up with Maul. But not the experience. And double-blades aren't exactly coming facings in the Order those days. They MAY win if Obi-Wan plays it smart enough. But in all likelihood, Maul would kill them.

Darth Martin
Kenobi's bladework is a joke at this point. He got tooled by Dooku who was going easy on him. Maul is no Dooku but he's awful close, they use disimilar styles.

axel_jovan
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Kenobi's bladework is a joke at this point.

I wouldn't say a joke, but yes, Kenobi is not as good as his uber Soresu self.

Maul takes it, but not easily. Unless he has prep time like in TPM.

truejedi
I think Maul wins, but not ridiculously easily. Kenobi didn't fair too badly blade to blade with Maul in TPM. He got beaten, but he managed to cut Maul's lightsaber in half, and came within a hair of slicing maul in half at one point.

Galan007
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Maul is no Dooku but he's awful close srsly

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Galan007
srsly Seconded. srslysrsly

BruceSkywalker
Maul times 3 ftw

Hewhoknowsall
I also made a ROTS Obi Wan vs AOTC Obi Wan and AOTC Anakin thread, and most people supported the duo. I ALSO made a ROTS Obi Wan vs TPM Maul thread and most supported Obi Wan. In this thread, most people support Maul.

confused

Shoes
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Anakin's got the youth and stamina to keep up with Maul. But not the experience. And double-blades aren't exactly coming facings in the Order those days. They MAY win if Obi-Wan plays it smart enough. But in all likelihood, Maul would kill them.

Just like he had the youth and stamina to keep up with Dooku?

truejedi
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
I also made a ROTS Obi Wan vs AOTC Obi Wan and AOTC Anakin thread, and most people supported the duo. I ALSO made a ROTS Obi Wan vs TPM Maul thread and most supported Obi Wan. In this thread, most people support Maul.

confused

The lesson you should take from this is that you make too many threads.

Anyway, ROTS kenobi has that duo. And yes, ROTS Kenobi also can beat maul.

However, Maul can also beat the duo. Not that hard.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Shoes
Just like he had the youth and stamina to keep up with Dooku? Yes, he did have the youth and stamina to keep up with Dooku.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by truejedi
The lesson you should take from this is that you make too many threads.

Another unjustified and inaccurate insult. The threads I mentioned are months apart from eachother.

Perhaps. Maul with a hurt/broken ankle pretty much defeated Qui Gon + Obi Wan and only lost because of his arrogance (although he may act like that in this fight as well). Qui Gon > AOTC Obi Wan, although AOTC Anakin is probably > AOTC Obi Wan. Since the setting is the same for this fight as that one, Maul can use the same seperation tactics, although Obi Wan probably wouldn't fall for being lead into that bad-for-Ataru place like Qui Gon did, assuming that he learned from that fight.

Shoes
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yes, he did have the youth and stamina to keep up with Dooku.

He was manhandled by Dooku, without any force powers, a man decades older and much less agressive than Maul.

Lord Lucien
He was manhandled by Dooku, without any force powers, a man decades older and much less agressive than Maul. Anakin had the stamina to keep up with Dooku because of his age. Anakin got manhandled by Dooku because of his comparative lack of skill.

Stamina and energy=/=power and skill.

Shoes
Which is completely irrelevant because Maul outclasses him in both areas.

Lord Lucien
Which is completely irrelevant because Maul outclasses him in both areas. I know, Maul will win.

Red Nemesis
=/=

Try again

Hewhoknowsall
Which is completely irrelevant because Maul outclasses him in both areas.

"him" as in Anakin or Dooku?

Dooku totally outclasses Maul in skill.

Anakin likely outclasses Maul in skill and is close in stamina (adding Anakin's Force prowess into the mix, Anakin is superior in stamina).

Anakin4Ever
AOTC Anakin is basically a rasher version of TPM Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan is not nearly as experienced as Qui-Gon, but he was still a brilliant tactician. I'm sure the duo could hold Maul off long enough to think of something.

KuRuPT Thanosi
It's hilarious how a less experienced TPM Obi beats TPM Maul one v one and yet a more experienced Obi and plus Anakin get wtf pwnd by Maul in this thread. The wonderful reasoning... Ooo Obi got lucky because of Maul arrogance.... Ummmmm and this same arrogance is certain to not appear again in this fight? Let alone adding a more experienced Obi and adding Anakin? Interesting....

Red Nemesis
Well it is clear that (in both the novel as well as the film) Kenobi is not nearly as powerful as Maul. His victory does not indicate superiority.

From there everything else becomes clear. Being flippant about that one fact doesn't mean that it no longer applies.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Well it is clear that (in both the novel as well as the film) Kenobi is not nearly as powerful as Maul. His victory does not indicate superiority.

From there everything else becomes clear. Being flippant about that one fact doesn't mean that it no longer applies.

So I say again... is arrogance is certain to not appear yet again in this fight just as it did with a less experienced Kenobi already?

ares834
I'd give it to the duo as long as Anakin doesn't recklessly charge himlike an idiot. Yes Dooku did defeat them but he fought them one at a time and Anakin actually faired well against him.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
So I say again... is arrogance is certain to not appear yet again in this fight just as it did with a less experienced Kenobi already?
I haven't said anything about arrogance.

I hadn't even used the phrase PIS yet, but I will now:
It was PIS.

KuRuPT Thanosi

Eminence
KuRuPT Thanosi
It's hilarious how a less experienced TPM Obi beats TPM Maul one v one and yet a more experienced Obi and plus Anakin get wtf pwnd by Maul in this thread. The wonderful reasoning... Ooo Obi got lucky because of Maul arrogance.... Ummmmm and this same arrogance is certain to not appear again in this fight? Let alone adding a more experienced Obi and adding Anakin? Interesting.... If we factored CIS into every single versus match, they'd all end the same. So we don't.

Deal with it.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Eminence
If we factored CIS into every single versus match, they'd all end the same. So we don't.

Deal with it.

Yet they still have to fight In Character correct?

Eminence
I don't know what that means.

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Eminence
I don't know what that means.

That is that they fight with the mindset that a character generally fights in, so Yoda won't use Force lightning.

Zack Skywalker
Id say Maul. Dooku took down Anakin and Obi Wan at this point and I'd say Maul is supereor witht the blade to Dooku.

Galan007
Going with the duo.

The AotC novelization depicts Anakin doing pretty damn well against Dooku (especially for a Padawan.) I believe the novel said something like: "Dooku had to work furiously to keep Anakin's blade at bay." So if AotC Anakin made Dooku work for his victory, then Maul would have to work damn hard to gain any kind of headway, imo... Then tack on the fact that AotC Obi-Wan will also be present.

...I dunno, it's just hard for me to imagine Maul winning. /shrug

Zack Skywalker
Again, i think maul is supereor to Dooku with the lightsaber. Heres why:
Maul beat Qui Gonn, wo was supposed to be equal to Windu, who was equal to Dooku.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zack Skywalker
Again, i think maul is supereor to Dooku with the lightsaber. Heres why:
Maul beat Qui Gonn, wo was supposed to be equal to Windu, who was equal to Dooku. Love the logic. thumb up

Oh and just so you know: despite what Wookie says, the whole "Qui-Gon=Mace" thing has yet to be confirmed by any canonical sources. So yeah...

Zack Skywalker
It has a source, The New essental Guide to Characters. I might even sya TPM Obi Wan could beat AOTC Obi Wan since he switched to a new form. Maul>Dooku with the lightsaber

But if this is with the force Dooku>Maul. So, the fight would be pretty even

Pwned
Im pretty sure that Obi-Wans real form even inTPM was Soresu........

Anyways how is Qui-Gon=Mace when Mace holds a title saying he is the best fighter in the Jedi Order? (my source on that is the Star Wars Dictionary,not sure if its canon but if it aint oh well)

Zack Skywalker
Originally posted by Pwned
Im pretty sure that Obi-Wans real form even inTPM was Soresu........

Anyways how is Qui-Gon=Mace when Mace holds a title saying he is the best fighter in the Jedi Order? (my source on that is the Star Wars Dictionary,not sure if its canon but if it aint oh well)

My source(New Essental Guide to characters) says they are equal. Qui Gonn was a amazing duelist as well as Windu, but this is at the time of TPM when Qui Gonn, Windu, and Dooku were equal. And Windu was not the best duelist in the order. Yoda and probally Anakin are supereor to him. And Obi wan's form was Ataru in TPM

Galan007
It has a source, The New essental Guide to Characters.
I'm aware. But I have looked through Mace's and Qui-Gon's bios from TNEGTC and nowhere does it say they were equal in any way/shape/form (I can post said bios if necessary)... Hence my previous statement.

Zack Skywalker
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, I haven't read them. But I am pretty sure Maul could take down Dooku in a lightsbaer fight.I think it would be close.

Galan007
Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, I haven't read them. It doesn't.

Here are the bios of Qui-Gon and Mace from The New Essential Guide to Characters:
http://img522.imageshack.us/i/quigon1.jpg/
http://img192.imageshack.us/i/quigon2.jpg/

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/mace1h.jpg/
http://img37.imageshack.us/i/mace2.jpg/

As you can see, neither bio mentions Qui-Gon being Mace's equal in any area(s).

Zack Skywalker
Strange, I wonder why wookie says that. I still think Maul>Dooku with the lightsaber.

Galan007
Strange, I wonder why wookie says that. Not sure.

I still think Maul>Dooku with the lightsaber. I completely disagree.

Xiraphen
Dooku's become vastly overrated. Maul's quite easily demonstrated greater ability with a lightsaber.

Galan007
^ srsly The TPM novelization makes it clear that Maul was not only hard-pressed to beat Qui-Gon, but also hard-pressed to beat Padawn Obi-Wan (excerpts can be posted if need be.) Dooku, on the other hand, owned AotC Anakin/Obi-Wan, and was still able to give Yoda a good fight afterward (Dooku also gave Yoda yet another good fight during Dark Rendezvous.)

Anywho... If you really think Maul would be able to compete with Yoda, then we may as well stop this debate right here.

Gideon
^ I'll give you thirty minutes to correct that post. Don't test me, lover.

Galan007
^ bashful

You don't think Maul could have done near as well as Dooku did vs. Yoda... Do you?

Zack Skywalker
Originally posted by Galan007
^ srsly The TPM novelization makes it clear that Maul was not only hard-pressed to beat Qui-Gon, but also hard-pressed to beat Padawn Obi-Wan (excerpts can be posted if need be.) Dooku, on the other hand, owned AotC Anakin/Obi-Wan as though they were nothing, and was still able to give Yoda a good fight afterward (Dooku also gave Yoda yet another good fight during Dark Rendezvous.)

Anywho... If you really think Maul would be able to compete with Yoda, then we may as well stop this debate right here.

Ok,Maul had a decently hard time vs. Qui Gon, but the main reason for that was trying to get him alone and Qui Gonn was an amazing swordsman. Obi Wan had an advantage against Maul for a few seconds before he chopped the saber because of his rage, then lost the advanage.Maul was beating both at once for the majority of the duel.

Dooku toyed with Obi Wan because Obi Wan was inexperienced in Soresou, but when he faced Maul, he had used Ataru for a while and was probally better in TPM. Anakin was pretty equal to Dooku in AOTC, and then Dooku was pwned by Yoda, not competing with him.

They'de be in the same teir, but Maul would beat Dooku. Heres a few of my teirs:

Teir 1:Yoda, Anakin,Sidious
Teir 2:Maul,Windu,Dooku,Obi wan, Qui Gonn
Teir 3:Ventress,Luke,Kit Fisto,Grievus

Gideon
Galan007
^ bashful

You don't think Maul could have done near as well as Dooku did vs. Yoda... Do you?

And if that was all you said, I wouldn't be tempted to unleash my omnipotent wrath against you. Maul struggled with Obi-Wan when Kenobi summoned aggression against him, similar to what Skywalker did against Dooku in Revenge of the Sith; in technique and skill, Maul was far beyond Kenobi. Likewise, though Dooku was more skilled than Skywalker, he still struggled with him as per the novelization.

Galan007
Ok,Maul had a decently hard time vs. Qui Gon, but the main reason for that was trying to get him alone and Qui Gonn was an amazing swordsman. Obi Wan had an advantage against Maul for a few seconds before he chopped the saber because of his rage, then lost the advanage.Maul was beating both at once for the majority of the duel. Again, the novelization made it clear that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were each capable of giving Maul one hell of a good fight. That is not to say that they were > Maul, though.

Dooku toyed with Obi Wan because Obi Wan was inexperienced in Soresou, but when he faced Maul, he had used Ataru for a while and was probally better in TPM. You're suggesting that Obi-Wan's skills worsened as his training increased? Gimmie a break.

Anakin was pretty equal to Dooku in AOTC, and then Dooku was pwned by Yoda, not competing with him.Dooku was surprised by Anakin's power, yes, but Dooku was still superior.

They'de be in the same teir, but Maul would beat Dooku. facepalm-worthy.

Galan007
Originally posted by Gideon
Maul struggled with Obi-Wan when Kenobi summoned aggression against him, similar to what Skywalker did against Dooku in Revenge of the Sith; in technique and skill, Maul was far beyond Kenobi. And how far do you think Obi-Wan's little outburst would have gotten him with Dooku? Not very far, imo. Obi-Wan is no Skywalker.

Originally posted by Gideon
Likewise, though Dooku was more skilled than Skywalker, he still struggled with him as per the novelization. Anakin did give Dooku a good fight (mainly when he had dual blades) -- like I said above, that kind of power from a Padawan isn't something the Count expected. However, Dooku was still the definitive superior in the end, and the fact that he went on to combat Yoda quite well, despite the energy he spent owning Obi/Anakin, is pretty impressive.

Zack Skywalker
Obi Wan's skills might have gotten worse because he switched forms, and hadn't gotten too good at his form yet. Anakin and Dooku were decently even in AOTC, but Dooku did some wierd move to make Anakin stop in the movie. And in TPM the movie, Maul seemed dominatant in the duel. In the Movies, Maul>Dooku. I never read the novels, so I don't know what they say.And one last thing, Anakin was supereor to Dooku in ROTS

Galan007
In the Movies, Maul>Dooku. I never read the novels, so I don't know what they say.And one last thing, Anakin was supereor to Dooku in ROTS Even from a movie-standpoint, I'm still not quite sure how you came to this conclusion..?

Regardless, there's obviously no changing your mind, so I bid thee good day. smile

Zack Skywalker
We'll have to agree to disagree. Maybe if i read te novels i MIGHT see from your point, but i dont see that happening soon

Zack Skywalker
One more thing. From what I've seen in the movies and read online, I think Maul would put up a good fight vs Yoda since of his agility if he was using one lightsaber. He seemed to be better with one saber than two in one on one, since it increased his agility

Lord Lucien
And the double-blade increased his deadliness and unpredictability.

Zack Skywalker
I think he only used it since he was fighting two at once.

Lord Lucien
And he was very, very good at it. Regardless, Yoda would clean his clock.

Zack Skywalker
Not as quick as he owned Dooku. Maul is super agile and would be jumping around like Yoda, but would be defeated in a few minutes

Letum Lettow
Anakin charges, Maul, instead of ****ing around and leaving him alive, kills him, then Obi.

They lose mostly due to Anakin's inability to use taktix.

Lord Lucien
Or hatrix.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.