Will you go to hell for worshipping a different god?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omnislash Kid
Ok so I didn't want to make the title long-winded so I'm just going to elaborate here (which is usually the norm in such threads).
So my question is if you practice another religion that has a deity that is the equivalent of the Christian God, will you be judged and sentenced to hell?

Also, this is a question irrelevant to my original question. But if you worship Jesus more than God even though God want's people to worship only him and love him above anything else, doesn't it contradict him wanting you to love Jesus above him?
I'm not sure if what I'm saying it actually true since I have not read the Bible because I'm an Atheist.

Alsoooo, if man is created in God's image, is that in terms of physical appearance or psychological and emotional sameness?
And if it is both or psychological and emotional sameness, does that mean that our sins are justified since we in that sense are the same as God and that he's an unjustified hypocrite?
It would be like a man owning a slave who sins but since he is the master it is justified whereas if the slave did it because he is a slave he will be punished.
I'm not sure if that really made any sense from your perspective but I think the analogy made sense.

Sorry if this is all to long-winded and is irrelevant to my original question. But for the sake of curiosity and so I am no longer incorrect about my understanding of the Christian religion please try not to flame to hard. As I've seen that's been an issue with many Christian's when it comes to an Atheist asking questions that oppose their belief and usually give bias answers that dont amount to anything since they are bias. These questions are more meant to be answered in an interpretation of the Bible and the religion itself.
Sorry if this offends any Christian users who view or comment on this thread since that was not my intention. Just merely wondering.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Omnislash Kid
Ok so I didn't want to make the title long-winded so I'm just going to elaborate here (which is usually the norm in such threads).
So my question is if you practice another religion that has a deity that is the equivalent of the Christian God, will you be judged and sentenced to hell?

This would depend on what God is like or, if you want a more down to Earth answer, would vary between forms of Christianity. I suspect many/most of them would say yes.

Rogue Jedi
This reminds me of an episode of south park.

lil bitchiness
No. You will not. I am as much qualified to tell you that as any imam, priest or rabbi.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
No. You will not. I am as much qualified to tell you that as any imam, priest or rabbi.

What about a Shaman or Medicine Woman?

Mindship
No one goes to hell. Hell comes to us.

Red Nemesis
That may be so, but the question is usually intended as, "under the belief system of Islam (or Christianity or Judaism, respectively) will I go to hell for worshipping sic] a different god," which is a question that you are not equally well "qualified" to answer.

Wild Shadow
No. You will not. I am as much qualified to tell you that as any imam, priest or rabbi. your jewish arent you? sad

say it aint so, say it aint so..

anyways to the question a lot of christian belief systems would say yes, you will be judged for worshiping other gods and point out the old testament thou shall have no other god b4 me!!! thank you charlton heston..

i am not sure how modern jews would answer that or an agnostic christian since some would say god has many names and in different tongues it really comes down to what each person believes personally even if they are christian..

pretty sure Emmanuel said not to worship him but love thy father and some such..

King Kandy
Modern jews would say nobody goes to hell, because there's nothing in the Torah hinting at such a concept.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Mindship
No one goes to hell. Hell comes to us. In the form of reality television.

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by King Kandy
Modern jews would say nobody goes to hell, because there's nothing in the Torah hinting at such a concept. true. thumb up

Bicnarok
Hell exists as much as wunderland.

Wake up from these fairy stories.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
your jewish arent you? sad

say it aint so, say it aint so..

anyways to the question a lot of christian belief systems would say yes, you will be judged for worshiping other gods and point out the old testament thou shall have no other god b4 me!!! thank you charlton heston..

i am not sure how modern jews would answer that or an agnostic christian since some would say god has many names and in different tongues it really comes down to what each person believes personally even if they are christian..

pretty sure Emmanuel said not to worship him but love thy father and some such..

I don't practice Jewish religion, so I'm not a Jew. I REJECT being Jewish by ancestry.
Obviously, I respect others who may feel differently.

Judaism is a religion, much like Christianity, Islam or whatever. I don't believe one is a Jew just because his ancestors were Jews, same as I don't believe one is a Christian or a Muslim just because his ancestors were so. (if we keep going based on ansestry all end up Pagans in the end anyway)

As for God - religious books, made God to be like humans - he gets angry, he loves, he's sad, he's vengeful, he wants praise....then again, if he made us in his image, maybe we are like that because he is like that...I don't know. I don't take everything to heart - those books that are there, one must examine who has written them and WHY.

Can I also divert your attention to Genesis, Exodus, Levictus, Numbers and Deuteronomy - this is Torah and correspond exactly to Christian old Testament - ie they're the same (I believe - just those parts).

Can we just all agree to worship something without being damned for not doing it a particular way?
Nobody is chosen by God - we're all here together, probably part of some oneness, and until we release how similar and connected we are, we will remain divided and backward...and dare I say...uncivilized.

P.S I drunk and kept some Zamzam water in my house, does that make me a Muslim? Of course not.
I keep it there to bamboozle Allah.

One Free Man
According to Christianity if your repent from your wrong-doing and follow the right god, you will be saved.

If you follow in infidelity to the christian god, you will go to hell. However, most religions will say the same thing about other religions.

If you're looking for religious council, however, this is not the place to go, as this is a forum used in the mockery of religion, not the discussion of it.

This answers your question briefly and effectively.

One Free Man

Also, this is a question irrelevant to my original question. But if you worship Jesus more than God even though God want's people to worship only him and love him above anything else, doesn't it contradict him wanting you to love Jesus above him?
I'm not sure if what I'm saying it actually true since I have not read the Bible because I'm an Atheist. Jesus and god are the same person, according to the consensus.

In all aspects, we are an imitation, and no, just because you look the same and thing the same as someone, doesn't mean you make the same choices. We chose to do wrong, forcing ourselves out of the garden on our own. We're not the "same" either. In his image means basically similar. we all have variations.
Doesn't fit. psychological sameness =/= linked responsibility.

Jack Daniels
mmm your worshipping a different god...well not sure who the god you mean but Im sure he she it etc would be pissed you worshipped another....so yeah u might burn if your god exists..lol

chomperx9
if you go to hell for worshipping a different god than that means everyone is going to hell because not everyone believes in the same god.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by chomperx9
if you go to hell for worshipping a different god than that means everyone is going to hell because not everyone believes in the same god.
This is not so. In fact, it is downright silly.

Omnislash Kid
I'm not actually religoous guys. I'm Atheist. These questions were simply out of curiosity

Amazing Vrayo!!
No. You will not. I am as much qualified to tell you that as any imam, priest or rabbi. Have you really meditated on the subject for as long as they have?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Amazing Vrayo!!
Have you really meditated on the subject for as long as they have?

Hilarious.
I'm sure a lot of ''thought'' goes into ''only Jesus will save you'', ''we are the God's chosen people'' and ''Islam is the only true religion and non-Muslims are dirty''.

Robtard
Modern jews would say nobody goes to hell, because there's nothing in the Torah hinting at such a concept.

Can't be so, otherwise that would mean no one went to hell before Jesus/Christianity and it's a made-up concept. Na.

lil bitchiness
Besides, Jesus was a Jew, and followed traditions of Judaism, and I doubt he wanted to make up a religion, so Christians are technically Messianic Jews.
Hah.

(no offence meant to Christians)

chomperx9
so how do jesus and god get along ?

the christians beleive in god and he is supposed to be christian but his son is a jew.

Robtard

the christians beleive in god and he is supposed to be christian but his son is a jew.

According to Christian mythology, Jesus is the son of God and the human embodiment (aka Avatar) of God. They're one and the same being, just two facets. The Holy Ghost being the 3rd facet of the same entity.

God - Wrathful; jealous supreme being who flooded mankind, burned Sodom and turned Lot's wife to salt. This is a God you don't **** with. As written,"Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God", because God will definitely **** your shit up.

Jesus - Kind; loving teacher who died for man's sins and accepting this "fact" grants you a place in heaven, where unicorns frolick among golden-chocolate rainbows.

Holy Ghost - The expression of Jesus-God's love. This one seems a bit kinky if you ask me.

lil bitchiness

The son of God thing...didn't that go into the bible a bit later? Also, if Jesus said we're all God's children, maybe that implies Jesus wasn't putting himself as literaly that. Maybe. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there....noone take offence please!

Also, if we look at the Jewish texts, it doesn't actually say anywhere that the mother of messiah will be a virgin - if I recall that correctly...rabbi once said that the translation of that got lost between Greek and Hebrew....

Again, I don't know, I'm just opening a debate here..

Robtard
The son of God thing...didn't that go into the bible a bit later? Also, if Jesus said we're all God's children, maybe that implies Jesus wasn't putting himself as literaly that. Maybe. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there....noone take offence please!

Also, if we look at the Jewish texts, it doesn't actually say anywhere that the mother of messiah will be a virgin - if I recall that correctly...rabbi once said that the translation of that got lost between Greek and Hebrew....

Again, I don't know, I'm just opening a debate here..

IMO, Jesus was like David Koresh, Sun Myung Moon or any other of the would be profits who claim(ed) that God speaks through them or they're in fact the embodied of God. Jesus just happened to be extremely successful, especially after death.

That or Jesus was just a dude who had a kinder and gentler view of God, he gathered many supporters and they elevated him into deity status after death.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard

That or Jesus was just a dude who had a kinder and gentler view of God, he gathered many supporters and they elevated him into deity status after death.

Indeed, I believe so as well. Also, there are arguments and also writings from the time which indicate that events leading to the Jesus' death were not as grand as they appear in the Roman revised version of the Bible - meaning his described, taunting and humiliation (with the ultimate consequence of humiliating death) could be the reflection of early Christians' persecution that they experienced at the hands of the Romans - the divineness could have well been attributed to him as a sign of respect.

chomperx9
This is a God you don't **** with. As written,"Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God", because God will definitely **** your shit up.

is that in the bible ?

Robtard
is that in the bible ?

In various was, yes. Luke, iirc.

lil bitchiness
According to Christian mythology, Jesus is the son of God and the human embodiment (aka Avatar) of God. They're one and the same being, just two facets. The Holy Ghost being the 3rd facet of the same entity.

God - Wrathful; jealous supreme being who flooded mankind, burned Sodom and turned Lot's wife to salt. This is a God you don't **** with. As written,"Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God", because God will definitely **** your shit up.

Jesus - Kind; loving teacher who died for man's sins and accepting this "fact" grants you a place in heaven, where unicorns frolick among golden-chocolate rainbows.

Holy Ghost - The expression of Jesus-God's love. This one seems a bit kinky if you ask me.

This reminds me - a Rabbi had explained to me some things in the Torah, not so long ago, such as Lot and Sodom (people may verify this themselves)

As far as Sodom is concerned - the reason for God's destruction is never actually properly stated - people say (interpret) that it is because of homosexuality, but it lists numerous reasons, non which are homosexual. The word of any such kind is never used - some say it was because of the violence, rather than sex.
When the men got to Lot's house asking for the ''angels'' they wanted to violate them, given, probably sexually, but still commit violence. One does not have to be homosexual to rape another man - as evident in prisons today.

Lot was spared in the destruction, but was indeed punished in the cave - he was punished because he offered his two virgin daughters to the mob of men who wanted to have their violent ways with the two 'angels'.
Lot's punishment came in the form of their daughters , thinking they're the only ones left on earth, taking upon themselves to continue the human race.

I feel so Bible knowledgeable now.

Wild Shadow
so we all agree that there was and is no hell in the old testament(jewish bible) and that emmannuel simply went into man's common grave yard to raise them all into heaven and to close sheol once and for all, right?

so even if we are willing to mistranslate and substitute hell into the bible no one is really suppose to go to hell... although a lot of the purposely mistranslated words that were replaced by the word hell was used to cover up such words as punishment and even indeterminate time or scale...

so, at worst and at its most honest translation i would hazard to guess "if" Yawhew was real he would send me to my room(void room, or room with no doors) have me study and reflect with what i had done till i understood my mistake and repented.. if that is hell then sure, i dont mind....

lil bitchiness
so we all agree that there was and is no hell in the old testament(jewish bible) and that emmannuel simply went into man's common grave yard to raise them all into heaven and to close sheol once and for all, right?

so even if we are willing to mistranslate and substitute hell into the bible no one is really suppose to go to hell... although a lot of the purposely mistranslated words that were replaced by the word hell was used to cover up such words as punishment and even indeterminate time or scale...

so, at worst and at its most honest translation i would hazard to guess "if" Yawhew was real he would send me to my room(void room, or room with no doors) have me study and reflect with what i had done till i understood my mistake and repented.. if that is hell then sure, i dont mind....

Personally, my view is very non-Abrahamic. If there is Hell, I believe we're all in it and we will continue this cycle of being born here, uncertain of why we are here, having to go through birth, death, life, pain, experience loss and uncertainty...etc. Maybe until we break that cycle or maybe never.
Obviously I am open to ideas and such as I simply do not know...
I don't think ''laws'' of the Bibles are absolute or true. For me, none of the three Abrahamic religions offer complete satisfactory explanation - and I don't think they're able or meant to.

I think it's good we're discussing ideas about this as opposed to simply slating religions.

I don't think that the same God who gave us brain and reason wanted us to forgo their use.

King Kandy
Besides, Jesus was a Jew, and followed traditions of Judaism, and I doubt he wanted to make up a religion, so Christians are technically Messianic Jews.
Hah.

(no offence meant to Christians)
The early christians could be messianic jews, absolutely, but not most christians now because they have no hebrew ancestry...

Robtard
This reminds me - a Rabbi had explained to me some things in the Torah, not so long ago, such as Lot and Sodom (people may verify this themselves)

As far as Sodom is concerned - the reason for God's destruction is never actually properly stated - people say (interpret) that it is because of homosexuality, but it lists numerous reasons, non which are homosexual. The word of any such kind is never used - some say it was because of the violence, rather than sex.
When the men got to Lot's house asking for the ''angels'' they wanted to violate them, given, probably sexually, but still commit violence. One does not have to be homosexual to rape another man - as evident in prisons today.

Lot was spared in the destruction, but was indeed punished in the cave - he was punished because he offered his two virgin daughters to the mob of men who wanted to have their violent ways with the two 'angels'.
Lot's punishment came in the form of their daughters , thinking they're the only ones left on earth, taking upon themselves to continue the human race.

I feel so Bible knowledgeable now.

I've heard other theories/interpretations using much older scriptures from the Torah that Sodom's sin was greed, where they had plenty and refused to share with their famine ridden neighboring cities. This is why God destroyed them.

lil bitchiness
I've heard other theories/interpretations using much older scriptures from the Torah that Sodom's sin was greed, where they had plenty and refused to share with their famine ridden neighboring cities. This is why God destroyed them.

To be honest, I can't verify anything. I remember he said violence may have been one of the reasons, but I'm sure he said that it was never clearly stated. I cannot read Hibrew (or speak), so I accept what I'm told.
Isn't that ironic? I'm sure it's how majority of religious folk work.

The question still remains when did the homosexual thing come in?

EDIT: Also, there was something else about masturbation - Onan was punished for not obeying not for spilling his seed (I think) as he never masturbated to begin with - he refused to impregnate his sister in law.

But from all that homosexuality and masturbation came as sins...????

Anyway, Sumerians said we were genetically engineered by aliens, so...I'll go with that for now.

King Kandy
Homosexuality is bad in Judaism because it's prohibited by the law listings... as for how homosexuality is the thing people think Sodom was punished for, that's just people's guesswork and isn't stated at all.

lil bitchiness
Homosexuality is bad in Judaism because it's prohibited by the law listings... as for how homosexuality is the thing people think Sodom was punished for, that's just people's guesswork and isn't stated at all.

And Christianity? Didn't Paul say something about it or something?

King Kandy
And Christianity? Didn't Paul say something about it or something?
Yeah, something about it. That it's bad. And he was jewish, so he thought it was bad because of the already present jewish bias against it.

Jack Daniels
dont meditate while drinking ..you pass out OR the worse you wont like it..lol...serious....on the lighter side Im innocent

Robtard

Again, more on those older text (which I personally think hold more truth as they're likely to have less re-workings), Leviticus added "in the bed of the woman", at the end of "man shall not lay with man as he would a woman", leading to believe that homosexuality wasn't bad in the general sense, just that a married man shouldn't bring it home. But it's still ambigous in it's true meaning.

lil bitchiness
So, many of us here can agree we won't be cast down to Hell for worshipping different God(s).

chomperx9
what if you dont believe in any god ? do you go to hell for that ?

Shakyamunison
what if you dont believe in any god ? do you go to hell for that ?

You would have to believe in Hell.

Hell is a state of mind and not a place you go after death.

It seems to me, if you believe in Hell, and are not following the "correct" belief (whatever that is), then you will live in hell.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You would have to believe in Hell.

Hell is a state of mind and not a place you go after death.

It seems to me, if you believe in Hell, and are not following the "correct" belief (whatever that is), then you will live in hell.
If reincarnation is true, couldn't you still technically go to hell after your death, even by that definition?

Shakyamunison
If reincarnation is true, couldn't you still technically go to hell after your death, even by that definition?

It depends on your definition of Hell. Please define Hell for me, and then I will be able to answer your question. big grin

King Kandy
Again, more on those older text (which I personally think hold more truth as they're likely to have less re-workings), Leviticus added "in the bed of the woman", at the end of "man shall not lay with man as he would a woman", leading to believe that homosexuality wasn't bad in the general sense, just that a married man shouldn't bring it home. But it's still ambigous in it's true meaning.
Leviticus mentions it twice, with different wordings... were they both different in those texts? (I mean, you could definitely be right, but I don't really have the needed info. Can you tell me which texts worded it that way?)

Also, even in current Torah, homosexuality isn't bad-- just homosexual sex. If you're abstinent, you're still not breaking the rules.

Also, you're only obligated to follow those rules in the first place if you're jewish (by ancestry).

King Kandy
It depends on your definition of Hell. Please define Hell for me, and then I will be able to answer your question. big grin
Hell as you defined it (state of mind).

Wild Shadow
hell is the not being in the presence of god and his light... erm

Shakyamunison
Hell as you defined it (state of mind).

You can be in the world of Hell because of Karma from other lives. There are people who seem to live in the world of Hell, naturally, with no obvious connection to this life. It maybe that Karma from their past lives is manifesting its self in this current life.

Symmetric Chaos
hell is the not being in the presence of god and his light... erm

So then pretty much everywhere would be Hell.

Wild Shadow
some would argue that his presence is inside all his creations like earth, ppl animals and whatnot...

sheol in the new testament described it as the dead souls resting or sleeping inside man's common grave with no after life or sense of self..

Immanuel went into sheol to roust them from their slumber awaken them and take them to heaven.. it was bleak, cold and dark at least that is the sense i got from what i can recall but it wasnt torment or even being self aware just no life.

King Kandy
You can be in the world of Hell because of Karma from other lives. There are people who seem to live in the world of Hell, naturally, with no obvious connection to this life. It maybe that Karma from their past lives is manifesting its self in this current life.
So technically, some people do go to hell after they die.

Shakyamunison
So technically, some people do go to hell after they die.

Yes, however, Hell is not a permanent state of mind. It is possible to overcomes one's Karma, and "leave Hell".

Wild Shadow
Yes, however, Hell is not a permanent state of mind. It is possible to overcomes one's Karma, and "leave Hell". i am sooo enlighten that i can see hell for what it is in the afterlife if there is such a place..

i would ascend the moment i was placed there.. i go all deductive reasoning and my subconscious mind would sense that there is something wrong with the world around me..

then in a snap of a finger i go all matrix neo and leave it and ascend to a higher plane cool

Shakyamunison
i am sooo enlighten that i can see hell for what it is in the afterlife if there is such a place..

i would ascend the moment i was placed there.. i go all deductive reasoning and my subconscious mind would sense that there is something wrong with the world around me..

then in a snap of a finger i go all matrix neo and leave it and ascend to a higher plane cool

When you die, you are disconnected from your Karma, and all your non-malleable Karma becomes malleable. This means you have no control, and do not experience reality as we do. You cannot create Karma while you are dead. Of course, this is from the Buddhist point of view.

Wild Shadow
sigh.. why are you trying to get all transcended knowledgeable on me? let me have my fantasy.

anyways control is an illusion i am not trying to control that around me but simply understand my connection to all things around me being one and the same not on a conscious lvl but on a more subconscious transcended spiritual lvl..

i simply am.

Shakyamunison
sigh.. why are you trying to get all transcended knowledgeable on me? let me have my fantasy.

anyways control is an illusion i am not trying to control that around me but simply understand my connection to all things around me being one and the same not on a conscious lvl but on a more subconscious transcended spiritual lvl..

i simply am.

Then how do you know you are not dead right now?

Wild Shadow
i was thinking that long b4 you typed it i am that deep.. messed

i know i am not in the after life stuck inside some loop that some would consider a form of hell.

i know b/c i use to meditate and think deep thoughts and not once did i get an inkling that i was inside some endless cycle while meditating and going all Zen Buddhist and what not.. i figure back then i was a perfect candidate to figure it out and go all Buddha and whatnot.

Shakyamunison
i was thinking that long b4 you typed it i am that deep.. messed

i know i am not in the after life stuck inside some loop that some would consider a form of hell.

i know b/c i use to meditate and think deep thoughts and not once did i get an inkling that i was inside some endless cycle while meditating and going all Zen Buddhist and what not.. i figure back then i was a perfect candidate to figure it out and go all Buddha and whatnot.

In other words, you can see Karma (cause and effect) being manifest in your life.

BTW, it was I who was reading your thoughts. laughing out loud

Wild Shadow
cause and effect is just too simplified for my taste... i simply exist and do what is my purpose nothing good or bad about it.

bad things happen to me and other ppl partly b/c of our actions and sometimes by chance.

i dont believe my actions in a previous life effects the outcome of this one nor do i believe in full reincarnation..

i look at it as simply what i am made up of like atoms and what not will simply be used up and added to other things like: rocks, grass animals and even other ppl...

i will continue to exist and be part of life but not fully aware nor will my actions carry over to my next lvl of reincarnation.

Jack Daniels
I want to be reincarnated to be a jack daniels warehouse manager....I want my own barrell too

AsbestosFlaygon
Your question makes me want to spam this thread with a 'Soviet Russia' joke.

lil bitchiness
cause and effect is just too simplified for my taste... i simply exist and do what is my purpose nothing good or bad about it.

bad things happen to me and other ppl partly b/c of our actions and sometimes by chance.

i dont believe my actions in a previous life effects the outcome of this one nor do i believe in full reincarnation..

i look at it as simply what i am made up of like atoms and what not will simply be used up and added to other things like: rocks, grass animals and even other ppl...

i will continue to exist and be part of life but not fully aware nor will my actions carry over to my next lvl of reincarnation.

Interesting view. thumb up
You seem to be more of a believer in rebirth, rather than reincarnation.

I am very much inclined to believe in rebirth, although reincarnation seems plausible as well.
I take both of them as a possibility, just as I take existence of God as a possibility - I am such a hopeless agnostic.

Omnislash Kid
What if you were born into a society that doesn't expose you to Christianity? Will you still go to hell despite the fact that the situation was out of your control?

Wild Shadow
nah your forgiven if you sin out of ignorance...

@ lil bitchiness

i could go into further detail i just wanted to sum up the main point and idea.

i'm with you on the possibility of anyone of your examples, i am not married or stuck with my concepts just how i am willing to view things but i can accept yours and anyones elses idea's as well as being just as likely.

my problem is when ppl try to present it as a fact and they cannot be wrong and use re interpreted books as their gospel truth even when you know for a fact that their books have bn edited and purposely mistranslated for centuries and it is only one view.

yell you what would be interesting to be fully re incarnated as a cow.. i be all now what? seriously the decine universe sees fit that this is the highest peaceful lvl? damn i could sure go for a beer other then munching on grass and why are these skinny @$$ ppl worshipping me?

ADarksideJedi
According to the bible you will being that it is one of the ten Comentments

Robtard
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
According to the bible you will being that it is one of the ten Comentments

Moses smashed the Commandments over the side of Mount Sinai, thereby rendering them null and void.

Shakyamunison
Moses smashed the Commandments over the side of Mount Sinai, thereby rendering them null and void.

That was the first set. I wonder what it said?

Robtard

What would a man who thought a burning bush was talking to him write down?

RE: Blaxican
Smoke that shit.

Shakyamunison

Hmmmm... The constitution? big grin

siriuswriter
... any answer to this question is FAIL to somebody out there.

siriuswriter

"and so from god i bring forth to you ELEVEN... *CRASH*. ... ten, TEN commandments."

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by siriuswriter
"and so from god i bring forth to you ELEVEN... *CRASH*. ... ten, TEN commandments."

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

I bet the 11th commandment was: Thou shalt not make war.

King Kandy
You know the bible actually has all laws being equally important... meaning it's just as bad to eat shellfish as to murder someone.

Wild Shadow
What if you were born into a society that doesn't expose you to Christianity? Will you still go to hell despite the fact that the situation was out of your control? sigh...

in the bible there are plenty of examples where it says you are forgiven if you sin out of ignorance and even the new testament says that jesus took all of man's sins into himself so that you and everyone else can go to heaven...

jesus said: "forgive them father for they know not what they do"
he was talking about everyone jews and gentiles alike like the Romans

here is an old testament quote
King James Bible

And he shall bring a ram without blemish out of the flock, with thy estimation, for a trespass offering, unto the priest: and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his ignorance wherein he erred and wist it not, and it shall be forgiven him.

iirc an old testament passage also said that those who have access to the bible put refuse to believe will be judged but those who do not will be forgiven for they sin in ignorance or some such... its bn a while.

a lot of the religious ppl forget some of the important things just to scare you into following their belief structure and ignorantly spout crap like hell and what not and forget or omit important stuff like though shall be judged as you judge others or those who have not heard of god will be judge by their laws and the laws of the heart that god has placed within you which means you know what you did wrong and your guilt and morality will be your judge.. think of it as you judging yourself you know what you did wrong and what you deserve. it doesnt matter if your a jew/christian or a hindi monk..

here are some of those examples with pages and quotes

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/neverheard.html

ADarksideJedi

God was talking through the bush and I am sure it was ideas of what the ten comandments should be. cool

ADarksideJedi
I don't eat shellfish anyway.

siriuswriter
I don't eat shellfish anyway.

This was actually one of the "Jewish" laws, laid out in Deuteronomy. Among such laws was how to make food kosher... shellfish aren't kosher.

but i know most people know this - it's just so much fun to point these things out to uber-christians. big grin

ADarksideJedi
yea a long time ago that was the law it never said it in the bible about selling your daughter if it does please tell me what verse it is in,

Bardock42
yea a long time ago that was the law it never said it in the bible about selling your daughter if it does please tell me what verse it is in,

Exodus 21:7-11

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
Exodus 21:7-11

Ok I will check it out. cool

MRasheed
Will you go to hell for worshipping a different god?

Definitely.

Alsoooo, if man is created in God's image, is that in terms of physical appearance or psychological and emotional sameness?

God is spirit and our true forms are spirit. I think it is no more complex than that assuming the "made in His image" quote is even legitimately from god in the first place, of which I have my doubts.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.