Avengers (classic)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bro SMASH
I hadn't seen a thread about the classic Avengers.

Unfortunately, I'm no Marvel expert and I'm really trying to know more about the important things about the Marvel Universe.

I do know about the X-Men so that's no concern but the Avengers is a different story. Okay here are some things I want to know about:

1. What do the Avengers use to communicate when they're separated?

2. What does their headquarters (Stark's Tower) consist of?

3. How good is their relationship with S.H.E.I.L.D. ? And how good is it?

4. Since Wolverine is also a member of the Avengers, how often does he visits the X-Men? And usually, what for?

5. What role or job does each member play as as a member of the Avengers?

As of now, that's all what I want to know about.

Disappear
4. Wolverine's ability to exist on multiple teams consistently throughout concurrent storylines is very nearly a superpower. Very rarely, usually at the writer's discretion, if Wolverine is absent from either/any of the teams, a brief "he's in san francisco/utopia/new york" is used to explain away his lack of appearance.

Bentley
Originally posted by Bro SMASH

Different iterations of the team use different techs, I know there are wrist watches with hologram screens which they used back in the Busiek run.

I don't know about this base, I've only seen the hall in there.

I think S.H.I.E.L.D. has backed most Avengers teams, not those outlawed like New Avengers after Civil War, but the relationship depends on who's the S.H.I.E.L.D. leader.

4. Since Wolverine is also a member of the Avengers, how often does he visits the X-Men? And usually, what for?

Logan is more engaged with the X-men than with the Avengers, he is an on and off agent in certain Avengers missions.

As far as I can tell "classic" Avengers consist of a leader (Captain America is the de facto leader most of the time), several scientists who back the team with their tech, there or there was a chairman position which rotated (team leadership seemed to change with each rooster, the chairman switched among the same team members). There are active and non-active recruits, the second can be called in time of need or when their expertise is needed (Reed is particularly useful here, but cosmic Avengers are also practical) and the first one are sent on missions to do heroics.

Bro SMASH
Okay, thanks Bentley and Disappear. That clears up most of my problems. I still want to know more about Stark's Tower but everything else is clear to me.

willRules

They have communication devices that vary in nature depending on the decade the comic is written in/the discretion of the writer. Usually it's on their Avengers I.D cards or an earpiece. There may have been occasions where a telepath provided communication, like the X-men.

Stark Tower was a massive building that was ridiculously big, containing gyms, meeting rooms, lounge area and other facilities necessary for a peacekeeping group. As of the second storyline in New Avengers, Sentry's watchtower appeared above the building, Sentry's headquarters.
Prior to this Stark Mansion was the main base. It was basically the Avengers answer to the X-mansion, run by Jarvis. Nowadays an Asgardian tower sits on top of Stark Tower.

This varies over time. The first time the Avengers are shown to have a relationship with SHIELD was when Nick Fury was in charge. They would often aid each other, especially since Cap and Fury already had known each other since WW2.
In Secret War, Fury is replaced by Maria Hill and in the first storyline the New Avengers relationship with SHIELD is severely strained as something rotten is found in SHIELD. By the time of Civil War, the Avengers are divided in two, either (effectively) agents of SHIELD or fugitives. Civil War puts Stark in charge of SHIELD, the founder of the Avengers leading SHIELD against the anti-reg. Secret Invasion sees the dissolution of SHIELD and Norman Osborn in charge of HAMMER, with his own mock version of the Avengers and now post Siege, Steve Rogers is in charge with no word as to if SHIELD has been reinstated or not yet.

Wolverine manages to fit on any team the writers want him to be on, so much so it's become a running joke in the MU itself.

Again this varies, depending on the Avenger and how long they've been a member. Usually Cap is recognised as the leader, with Iron-man as the founder. Thor makes up the final piece of the Marvel Trinity/Big Three, the heart of the Avengers and in recent years, the MU itself.

Honourable mentions go to Giant Man/Ant man and the Wasp who are often seen as the emotional core of the team. But ever since Civil War, the number of Avengers teams have increased so much so that the Avengers are a massive organisation within the MU, ranging from the main team through to up and coming cadet teams. Nowadays it's not a case of which role each character plays on the team, rather what the role of each Avengers team is within the MU.

Bro SMASH
Sounds like good answers again. You guys sure know your stuff.

Bro SMASH
I got another question; does the Avengers use any kind of device to track down people (like a computer or something)?

Darth Martin
Nothing specific that I know of. They have state of the art computer systems to aid them thanks to Stark. This is the part where S.H.I.E.L.D.'s partnership with them comes in handy.

Bro SMASH
Who is considered the more iconic female member of the Avengers (like how Wonder Woman is for the JLA)?

Warlord
I guess that would be Jannet...
possibly seconds...Monica Rambeu and Ms Marvel

Martian_mind
Either Wasp, Ms Marvel, She-Hulk or Scarlet Witch.

Blanket
Who is considered the more iconic female member of the Avengers (like how Wonder Woman is for the JLA)? Thor

Warlord
Yeah SW is my favorite female character but I don't see her so much as a symbol.

A vital part of avengers teams yes but as a symbol, well...Janet was founder, Monica has been team leader before for quite some time while Carol is like a female captain america in the battlefield

Warlord
Originally posted by Blanket
Thor

you mean beardless Thor

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Warlord
Yeah SW is my favorite female character but I don't see her so much as a symbol.

A vital part of avengers teams yes but as a symbol, well...Janet was founder, Monica has been team leader before for quite some time while Carol is like a female captain america in the battlefield

Well, the avengers don't really have an iconic female to the general public, so I was going with comic fans and SW is the female most comic fans would associate with the Avengers IMO.

Warlord
understandable

willRules
Ms Marvel or Wasp IMO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.