How would you have handled Reconstruction?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Hewhoknowsall
Like, as in the Reconstruction era after the Civil War.

Shakyamunison
I would do it well.

King Kandy
Declare martial law and F the KKK up.

Rogue Jedi
As a citizen, or as the one in charge?

Symmetric Chaos
I wouldn't. They have to learn to stand on their own.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I wouldn't. They have to learn to stand on their own. Say hello to slavery part II!

Hewhoknowsall
Personally, I'd send Federal troops into the South, forbid former Confederates from voting, and set up massive programs for helping minority races while taxing the plantation owners for it.

Bicnarok

botankus
I would have outlawed humidity.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
Personally, I'd send Federal troops into the South, forbid former Confederates from voting, and set up massive programs for helping minority races while taxing the plantation owners for it.
That's close to what the government did at the beginning, they just didn't keep it up.

RocasAtoll
I would have confiscated all land owned by slave owners and distributed it to the slaves they owned. I would also not allow states to discriminate based on race in government issues.

King Kandy
It wasn't the state governments that posed the big problem at that time, it was groups like the white league and KKK that worked outside the law.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
I would have confiscated all land owned by slave owners and distributed it to the slaves they owned. I would also not allow states to discriminate based on race in government issues.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by King Kandy
It wasn't the state governments that posed the big problem at that time, it was groups like the white league and KKK that worked outside the law.
They became the problem with black codes and Jim Crow laws. But yeah, private organizations like those who committed violence should have been put down by government soldiers at the start of hostilities.

King Kandy
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
They became the problem with black codes and Jim Crow laws. But yeah, private organizations like those who committed violence should have been put down by government soldiers at the start of hostilities.
They were a problem before that. One needs only to look at the voting statistics immediately after blacks got voting rights, and you could see how violence caused an immediate and severe drop even before there were any "legal" measures passed to deny the vote.

Grant sent troops to combat it, too little too late, and he should have declared them as enemy combatants as well, which would have meant they wouldn't have had to go through hung southern civilian courts but military court instead.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.