nun excommunicated by the catholic church

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

super pr*xy
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/church-excommunicates-nun-authorized-emergency-abortion-save-mothers/story?id=10799745&page=1

for those who can't be bothered to click the link.. a nun, who was an administrator for a hospital, was forced to make a choice between a 27 year-old mother of 4 or an 11 week pregnancy.. she chose the mother, meaning she supported the abortion of the child.. phoenix bishop thomas olmsted quickly handed down a judgement and excommunicated the nun from the catholic church for making such a decision.. critics are at an uproar for the swift and severe actions saying that child molestation cases against pedophile priests are handled more delicately, and even then, the offenders aren't even excommunicated..

the hypocrisy of it all.. lets excommunicate the life-saving nun and keep the pedophiles around..

it is indeed a hard choice to make.. i would've done the same thing seeing as how the mother already has 4 children to take care of and it would've meant the death of the mother AND the unborn child if the pregnancy continued..

lil bitchiness
Almost every doctor would make such the same choice. In Europe it is a common practice to save the mother over child if her life is in danger.

Why don't these people just get together and go live on an island somewhere - let their whole life be reminiscent of Biblical times. Christians, Jews and Muslims have three separate islands and they can all live in their perfect centuries.
Amish have the right idea...

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

Why don't these people just get together and go live on an island somewhere - let their whole life be reminiscent of Biblical times. Christians, Jews and Muslims have three separate islands and they can all live in their perfect centuries.
Amish have the right idea...

Or how about might makes right? Let one religion take over the world, regardless of which it may be--to the victor goes the spoils.

Christianity: 2.2 Billion
Islam: 1.5 Billion
....Its still anyone's game.

(Hindus have over a billion but they don't count, because they're not expansionist.They're almost entirely confined to one country.)

Bouboumaster
That's so retard. Someone should say to the Catholic Church that we are in friggin 2010.

BackFire
The life of the mother must always come first.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Or how about might makes right? Let one religion take over the world, regardless of which it may be--to the victor goes the spoils.

Christianity: 2.2 Billion
Islam: 1.5 Billion
....Its still anyone's game.

(Hindus have over a billion but they don't count, because they're not expansionist.They're almost entirely confined to one country.)

You know, I'm thinking other religions and even atheists may join in the fight - I'm thinking some burnt Hindus may go all pro-Christian, and I think Jews may pitch in, some will go for the Christians and other for Jews - or there may be a committee?....hmmm...hard one.

Digi
This is the problem created when a religious body espouses absolute morals. They end up looking silly at some point, because the variations of moral nuance in the world are endless.

Also, that war sounds awesome. Here are the rules: religions get to pray, atheists get science. I'll see you after the apocalypse.

Liberator
Reasons why this like religion, as put by George Carlin put it, "Is bullshit!"

Mindship
Originally posted by super pr*xy
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/church-excommunicates-nun-authorized-emergency-abortion-save-mothers/story?id=10799745&page=1
Bishop Olmsted is overcompensating.

Quiero Mota
even atheists may join in the fight

And why not? They actually have the potential to be a force to be reckoned with. The world population of Atheists/Agnostics/Apatheists/Secularists/Humanists/Skeptics/"Free Thinkers" is about 17-20%. That's a decent chunk of humanity. The unbelievers' only "problem" (in this sense) is that they lack cohesion. They have no We-ism or any sense of unity. Except the American Atheists; they're a good start. If Am-At sent "missionaries" to Third World jungles and convinced the locals to disbelieve in everything, that could work for a worldwide Atheist movement.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
And why not? They actually have the potential to be a force to be reckoned with. The world population of Atheists/Agnostics/Apatheists/Secularists/Humanists/Skeptics/"Free Thinkers" is about 17-20%. That's a decent chunk of humanity. The unbelievers' only "problem" (in this sense) is that they lack cohesion. They have no We-ism or any sense of unity. Except the American Atheists; they're a good start. If Am-At sent "missionaries" to Third World jungles and convinced the locals to disbelieve in everything, that could work for a worldwide Atheist movement.

I'm joining whichever fight Buddhists, Taoists and Confucianists are going for...unless it's against each other.

Red Nemesis
You know, I'm thinking other religions and even atheists may join in the fight - I'm thinking some burnt Hindus may go all pro-Christian, and I think Jews may pitch in, some will go for the Christians and other for Jews - or there may be a committee?....hmmm...hard one.
As it stands now Christianity is a much more attractive overlord than Islam. Christians have been tempered by the Enlightenment.

Enlightenment.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
As it stands now Christianity is a much more attractive overlord than Islam. Christians have been tempered by the Enlightenment.

Enlightenment.
Islam was already enlightened, it had to go through a de-enlightenment to be where it is now.

Mindship
Originally posted by King Kandy
Islam was already enlightened, it had to go through a de-enlightenment to be where it is now. Endarkment?

I'm still trying to grasp Good Bishop Olmstead's position. "... the end does not justify the means."

Forget how the excommunication response compares to how the child-molesting priests are treated. Taken on its own, Olmstead is saying it would've been better to let both mother and child die and leave four other children motherless? Is this what he actually advised that McBride should've done? Has anyone actually asked him what he would've done?

That must be one helluva skeleton in his closet.

Shakyamunison
I think that the Catholics see molesting a child as less of an offense then killing a child.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.