Swordmanship Rankings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
Rank the following based on their skill with a sword. I realize that the different character prefer different kinds of swords. This isn't putting them against each other. I just want them ranked as far as technical skill with them wielding their preferred weapon.

Batman
Black Panther
Blade
Captain America
Deadpool
Deathstroke
Doctor Doom
Green Arrow
Nightcrawler
Psylocke
Ra's Al Ghul
Wolverine
Wonder Woman

Q99
This probably'll get closed down due to being in the wrong forum.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/ is the place for rankings.

Originally posted by Darth Martin
Rank the following based on their skill with a sword. I realize that the different character prefer different kinds of swords. This isn't putting them against each other. I just want them ranked as far as technical skill with them wielding their preferred weapon.

Batman
Black Panther
Blade
Captain America
Deadpool
Deathstroke
Doctor Doom
Green Arrow
Nightcrawler
Psylocke
Ra's Al Ghul
Wolverine
Wonder Woman

1. Ra's al Ghul

Everybody else is irrelevant.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by 753
1. Ra's al Ghul

Currently, Wolverine is significantly better in swordsmanship than even Silver Samurai thanks to a refresher course. Logan is far and away the top of this list at the moment. evil face

Darth Martin
No one knows what rank means?

No one knows what rank means? No one cares what rank means.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Currently, Wolverine is significantly better in swordsmanship than even Silver Samurai thanks to a refresher course. Logan is far and away the top of this list at the moment. evil face He beat him in training, but I dont take that as meaning he's really better than SS. It's that inevitable moment where student defeats the master to show how good he is. I would say they are peers though. Still go with Ras as top dg.

batdude123
Originally posted by 753
1. Ra's al Ghul

Batman's better.

marwash22
does the lack of rankings dictate that no one has a clue and no one wants to have their list shredded, or is it just laziness?

I don't actually know for sure, but i'll just rank them based on what i have seen in terms of actual swordsmanship ability and not just based on damage they do with a sword.

1. Ra's Al Ghul
2. Wolverine
3. Batman
4. Blade
5. Deathstroke
6. Nightcrawler
7. Black Panther
8. Deadpool
9. Wonder Woman
10. Psylocke
11. Doctor Doom
12. Green Arrow
13. Captain America

Trackz
batman beat ra's al ghul in a sword fight in superman/batman

marwash22
in straight up swordfight?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Trackz

Nightwing has beaten Ra's in a sword fight as well. cool

marwash22
i guess i'll bump Ras to third. How healhty was Ras during his losses to Batman and Nightwing?

Darth Martin
batman beat ra's al ghul in a sword fight in superman/batman Are you referring to Hush? He defeated him in the desert.

Originally posted by marwash22
1. Ra's Al Ghul
2. Wolverine
3. Batman
4. Blade
5. Deathstroke
6. Nightcrawler
7. Black Panther
8. Deadpool
9. Wonder Woman
10. Psylocke
11. Doctor Doom
12. Green Arrow
13. Captain America Looks fair to me. I might have put Arrow and Cap over Doom though. They're close though. You'd think Diana would be higher with all her battle experience. Lack of feats?

marwash22
yeah, i haven't seen much of Diana's sword fighting ability. I did think about putting her at 7 or 8 based on reputation but then Deadpool has tons more showings... even though his actual skill level may be questionable. Black Panther was a tough one to gauge as well, it's said that he is a master of pretty much everything, but i haven't seen much (if any) swordplay against other skilled swordsman.

Darth Martin
Cap is another one who is said to have mastered every weapon known to man. Not too many sword feats though. He did use it in his fight against Wolverine.

Q99
yeah, i haven't seen much of Diana's sword fighting ability.

Diana's something of an all-around weapons master, but yea, she doesn't get into a buncha duels with the sword specifically. She spars with staff more often than sword. I think she spars with Amazons with sword, but again, mostly off-screen.

She's probably quite skilled, but there isn't much to see on the specific sword front, most of the time she uses it it is not at another sword-using being that lets her show off her skill.

Hm, come to think of it, she held her own against Beowulf while depowered.

Trackz
Are you referring to Hush? He defeated him in the desert.

Looks fair to me. I might have put Arrow and Cap over Doom though. They're close though. You'd think Diana would be higher with all her battle experience. Lack of feats? no, it was in an alternate reality though...and come to think of it, ra's was about to kill him, superman intervened, which gave batman the time to recover and make the kill strike

batdude123

More definitively in Batman #616.

And as you mentioned before, it was an alternate reality (Superman/Batman issue).

Ras is an antagonist. He can't be expected to win in the end of a storyline. Batman has defeated lady shiva and she is better than him in h2h too.

batdude123
Originally posted by 753
Ras is an antagonist. He can't be expected to win in the end of a storyline. Batman has defeated lady shiva and she is better than him in h2h too.

I'm not buying that excuse. It's too dismissive, and has no merit.

Batman flat-out beat Ra's in a sword fight as definitively as possible. Period. No excuses.

Martian_mind
Originally posted by batdude123
I'm not buying that excuse. It's too dismissive, and has no merit.

Batman flat-out beat Ra's in a sword fight as definitively as possible. Period. No excuses.

It was stated in a later issue that Ra's was holding back.

amnesia
Batman>>>>Ras>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wolverine

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by amnesia
Batman>>>>Ras>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wolverine

roll eyes (sarcastic)

batdude123
Originally posted by Martian_mind
It was stated in a later issue that Ra's was holding back.

Which is funny, because in Action Comics 840, while Batman is tooling Ra's in h2h, he has to pull out a sword to even the playing field, and Batman still owns him.

baka

marwash22
Which is funny, because in Action Comics 840, while Batman is tooling Ra's in h2h, he has to pull out a sword to even the playing field, and Batman still owns him.

baka I don't think anyone is arguing h2h.

marwash22
Originally posted by amnesia
Batman>>>>Ras>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>wolverine in sword fighting? erm

batdude123
I don't think anyone is arguing h2h.

Thanks, but that wasn't the point.

dev10n
blade is too underrated he is easily the best being that him and wolverine are over 70 and blade has fought since childhood

godking
Where is taskmaster on the list ? he is top 5 minimum

JakeTheBank
He-Man.

/thread

Darth Martin
Originally posted by dev10n
blade is too underrated he is easily the best being that him and wolverine are over 70 and blade has fought since childhood Wonder Woman has centuries of experience. So does Ra's Al Ghul.

dev10n
Wonder Woman has centuries of experience. So does Ra's Al Ghul. Ra's Al Ghul gets his ass handed to him by batman not to mention blade sees the world in slow motion

batdude123
Ra's Al Ghul gets his ass handed to him by batman not to mention blade sees the world in slow motion

Oh boy...

dev10n
Oh boy... oh boy what so your saying thats a lie

YFZ 350
blade is too underrated he is easily the best being that him and wolverine are over 70 and blade has fought since childhood Actually he's 100 years old.

Darth Martin
Ra's Al Ghul gets his ass handed to him by batman That's precisely my point. Experience isn't everything.

Deadline
Thanks, but that wasn't the point.

Nah I think you missed the point. As usual. Swordsman thread....Batman beat him in h2h...not sword...therefore it doesn't prove that Batman is better with a sword. duryes

batdude123
Originally posted by Deadline
Nah I think you missed the point. As usual. Swordsman thread....Batman beat him in h2h...not sword...yes. duryes

And once again, another failed attempt to troll me. Are you really this butthurt? laughing out loud

I see you've ignored the context. It wasn't just a "h2h" fight. Keep quiet about instances you have absolutely no clue about.

smile

srankmissingnin
Ra's Al Ghul gets his ass handed to him by batman not to mention blade sees the world in slow motion

There is a difference between getting beaten by Batman after a hard fought battle like Ra's, and getting punked in a couple of panels by a nobody vampire, like Blade has. Ra's Al Ghul is so far above Blade in sword skill it's overkill.

In context Blade "seeing the world in slow motion" was a verse in a poem by a zombie bard who was narrating the story. It's not exactly the most concrete of evidence.

dev10n
There is a difference between getting beaten by Batman after a hard fought battle like Ra's, and getting punked in a couple of panels by a nobody vampire, like Blade has. Ra's Al Ghul is so far above Blade in sword skill it's overkill.

In context Blade "seeing the world in slow motion" was a verse in a poem by a zombie bard who was narrating the story. It's not exactly the most concrete of evidence. as it has been said before ra's al ghul gets his ass handed to him by batman he always ends up killing these nobody vampires you speak of the exact reason they are nobodies

Blanket
In context Blade "seeing the world in slow motion" was a verse in a poem by a zombie bard who was narrating the story. It's not exactly the most concrete of evidence. Yes it is.

And

Batman wins the thread.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Blanket
Yes it is.

And

Batman wins the thread.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah, no, it was a line from a poem. It holds about as much water as the narrative caption stating Captain America "moves with the swiftness of light," or that his punches have the strength of Atom Bombs.

Blanket
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Yeah, no, it was a line from a poem. It holds about as much water as the narrative caption stating Captain America "moves with the swiftness of light," or that his punches have the strength of Atom Bombs. The poem was written for one purpose and one purpose only, to describe Blade.

srankmissingnin
The poem was written for one purpose and one purpose only, to describe Blade.

I hope that tiger is alright, the one I read about in high school. It was freaking on fire! You know the one? It was burning bright! In the forests of the night!! His eyes were made of fire!!!! Stars threw freaking spears at him! ZOMG dur

Poetry as evidence citation? /slowclap

Blanket
Poetry as evidence citation? Yes, in Blade's case.

No need to thank me for clearing this up.

srankmissingnin
Yes, in Blade's case.

No need to thank me for clearing this up.

How about inn no case. Poetry is exaggeration. It is ambiguous. It is metaphoric. It is stylistic. It isn't concrete evidence of anything, other than the inherit implication that Blade moves fast.

Blanket
other than the inherit implication that Blade moves fast. Fast enough to see the world in slow motion.

I'm impressed too.

batdude123
How about inn no case. Poetry is exaggeration. It is ambiguous. It is metaphoric. It is stylistic. It isn't concrete evidence of anything, other than the inherit implication that Blade moves fast.

And the fact that he can see the world in slow-motion. 313

srankmissingnin
Fast enough to see the world in slow motion.

I'm impressed too.

I hope that tiger is alright, the one I read about in high school. It was freaking on fire! You know the one? It was burning bright! In the forests of the night!! His eyes were made of fire!!!! Stars threw freaking spears at him! ZOMG dur

You are either trolling right now, or you're an idiot... which is it?

batdude123
Only trolls discount on-panel poetry.

Blanket
You are either trolling right now, or you're an idiot... which is it? Woah woah woah. I didn't insult you. I suggest you keep the same level of appreciation in this gentlemanly debate.

srankmissingnin
Woah woah woah. I didn't insult you. I suggest you keep the same level of appreciation in this gentlemanly debate.

Technically it's only an insult if you aren't trolling. cool

batdude123
I see no trolling in this thread.

Blanket
Technically it's only an insult if you aren't trolling. cool Good sir, I can assure you that I'm not an idiot, and I'm not a troll.

I can assure you however, that Blade sees the world in slow motion, and I suggest you accept it against a friendly opponent.

srankmissingnin
Good sir, I can assure you that I'm not an idiot, and I'm not a troll.

I can assure you however, that Blade sees the world in slow motion, and I suggest you accept it against a friendly opponent.

That sounds like what a troll might say if he was called out on his trolling... now I don't know what to think!!! confused

Blade can't see the world in slow motion. Excepting a verse of poetry as concrete narrative fact is a foolish endeavor. cool

Blanket
That sounds like what a troll might say if he was called out on his trolling... now I don't know what to think!!! confused

Blade can't see the world in slow motion. Excepting a verse of poetry as concrete narrative fact is a foolish endeavor. cool Troll accusations are generally thrown around when one is soundly defeated.

Maybe so, but accepting a verse as proof is a beautiful idea.

srankmissingnin
Troll accusations are generally thrown around when one is soundly defeated.

Maybe so, but accepting a verse as proof is a beautiful idea.

I'm still not sure if you are trolling or not... embarrasment

Accepting a verse of poetry as proof of anything is absurd.

Blanket
I'm still not sure if you are trolling or not... embarrasment

Accepting a verse of poetry as proof of anything is absurd. You're not sure of something? Yet, we're to trust your ideas on poetry in comics?

There are two other good fellows that would disagree:
Only trolls discount on-panel poetry.

I can see discounting me, as I'm only one man, but how can you argue with 'new guy', and fatnude? It is not an argument you can win. Many have tried, failed, and quanchi ran away from one.

You have been soundly trounced.

srankmissingnin
You're not sure of something? Yet, we're to trust your ideas on poetry in comics?

There are two other good fellows that would disagree:

I can see discounting me, as I'm only one man, but how can you argue with 'new guy', and fatnude? It is not an argument you can win. Many have tried, failed, and quanchi ran away from one.

You have been soundly trounced.

My ideas on poetry? It's the very nature of poetry that makes it inherently unreliable. The suggestion that a verse of poetry should or could be taken at face value ridiculous. I think your messing with me, I don't believe you actually think a verse of poetry is an indication of anything... no way you actually believe that.

I'm fairly certain Batdude was be sarcastic and the other guy seems like someone who's entire Blade experience was gleaned from the respect thread.

It's an arguement I've already won anyway. The narration was a verse of poetry and as such is incredible suspect. You don't really have a counter point other than "well... I think it should count." which doesn't really hold all that much water.

Blanket
My ideas on poetry? It's the very nature of poetry that makes it inherently unreliable. The suggestion that a verse of poetry should or could be taken at face value ridiculous. I think your messing with me, I don't believe you actually think a verse of poetry is an indication of anything... no way you actually believe that.

I'm fairly certain Batdude was be sarcastic and the other guy seems like someone who's entire Blade experience was gleaned from the respect thread.

It's an arguement I've already won anyway. The narration was a verse of poetry and as such is incredible suspect. You don't really have a counter point other than "well... I think it should count." which doesn't really hold all that much water. I think you're messing with me. Disregarding on panel statements just because of other poetry out there that hasn't been used in comics.

He wasn't. With a respect thread on Blade like we have, who wouldn't be an expert?

Better than "I think it shouldn't count, because I read a stupid poem a while ago", also racism against Blade.

batdude123
Indeed.

I smell racism at work here.

Blanket
It makes more sense the more I think of it.

srankmissingnin
I think you're messing with me. Disregarding on panel statements just because of other poetry out there that hasn't been used in comics.

He wasn't. With a respect thread on Blade like we have, who wouldn't be an expert?

Better than "I think it shouldn't count, because I read a stupid poem a while ago", also racism against Blade.

laughing

You're ridiculous. It's a poem, a verse of exaggerated exposition. Take an English lit class or something.

Apparently I'm racist now, because I know that a verse of poetry isn't a concrete statement? Guess what (spoilers btw) Blade isn't death either, and Spider-man isn't a demon... all things said in the bards narrative poetry. eek!

Blanket
Concession accepted

batdude123
Concession accepted

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8894/kaneklapqo6.gif

srankmissingnin
Concession accepted

I concede to nothing. Not only am I right, but I'm so right that there isn't even a logically counter argument to run against my argument... just blind fanaticism.

batdude123
I conceit to nothing. Not only am I right, but I'm so right that there isn't even a logically counter argument to run against my argument... just blind fanaticism.

marwash22
^ you conceit?

Batdude = threadkiller supreme.

batdude123
^ you conceit?

@ Me.

srankmissingnin
^ you conceit?

Too fast. embarrasment

marwash22

@ Me. cheeky bastard.

Blanket
I concede to nothing. Not only am I racist, but I'm so racist that there isn't even a logically counter argument to run against my argument... In my mind. fixed

Concession... accepted

snoopdogg
I can see Batman winning this.

srankmissingnin

@ Me.

You can't slowclap yourself! I'm removing your Citizen Kane slowclap gif privileges. mad

marwash22
^ overruled. Cheeky bastards are allowed to do so.

marwash22
Batman's not winning a damn thing here. He's not a better swordsman than Wolverine.... or, as far as I'm concerned, Ras.

srankmissingnin
fixed

Concession... accepted

It's called Hyperbole. Hyperbole is a literary device. Hyperbole used via exaggeration to emphasis a point create a strong impression, and is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperbole is used primarily in poetry. Example of Hyperbole: "Time stops for all but Blade."

Blanket
It's called Hyperbole. Hyperbole is a literary device. Hyperbole used via exaggeration to emphasis a point create a strong impression, and is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperbole is used primarily in poetry. Example of Hyperbole: "Time stops for all but Blade." Look chum, I already accepted your concession.

No need to argue on how you could have been right, anymore.

marwash22
dude doesn't age, so time does indeed, stop for him stick out tongue

Darth Martin
No, he doesn't stop for time.

marwash22
No, he doesn't stop for time. touche.

srankmissingnin
Look chum, I already accepted your concession.

No need to argue on how you could have been right, anymore.

Translation: "You were right Srank, I don't have a leg to stand on and have decided to forfeit".

cool

It's called Hyperbole. Hyperbole is a literary device. Hyperbole used via exaggeration to emphasis a point create a strong impression, and is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperbole is used primarily in poetry. Example of Hyperbole: "Time stops for all but Blade."

Do you seriously not see they're trolling you for laughs?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by 753
Do you seriously not see they're trolling you for laughs?

I'm not sure if he is. embarrasment

Blanket
Translation: "You were right Srank, I don't have a leg to stand on and have decided to forfeit".

cool You're the one who forfeited. Yet still want to argue for whatever reasons.

It's like you're showing how well you did, or how you could have been right. It's alright though, no one wants a bad showing without an excuse. Won't hold it against you.

I'm not sure if he is. embarrasment He is.

Blanket
No one knows. It's all guesses at this point in time.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by 753
He is.

After he insisted he wasn't! mad

Not very gentlemanly Blank. Bad form.

snoopdogg
I was say Blade has the best speed feats with a sword than most of these guys.

marwash22
Hulk punches harder than Blade, doesn't make Hulk the better martial artist.

snoopdogg
Hulk punches harder than Blade, doesn't make Hulk the better martial artist. Speed don't factor into these rankings?

marwash22
not really. This more about skill, not damage. If we're going by damage one can do with a sword, Deadpool would be much higher on the list.

dev10n
Originally posted by snoopdogg
I was say Blade has the best speed feats with a sword than most of these guys. COULDNT AGREE MORE yes yes yes rock

snoopdogg
not really. This more about skill, not damage. If we're going by damage one can do with a sword, Deadpool would be much higher on the list. So blocking gun-fire with a sword is out of the question?

marwash22
blocking bullets is more about the person's speed/reflexes, not so much about how skilled they are with a sword. This isn't a fight, it's a ranking of who has the most swordfighting ability. If we do it like the MA thread and take away points based on powerset... Batman, Ras and Logan are all more skilled with a sword that Blade and Deadpool.

Trackz
laughing

You're ridiculous. It's a poem, a verse of exaggerated exposition. Take an English lit class or something.

Apparently I'm racist now, because I know that a verse of poetry isn't a concrete statement? Guess what (spoilers btw) Blade isn't death either, and Spider-man isn't a demon... all things said in the bards narrative poetry. eek! time slowing isn't a metaphor, it's a statement of fact, in order to move and react quickly you must be able to perceive the world slower, much like captain america. You're discounting the narrator to prove your point being that Blade is barely superhuman so he can't be that fast. Enough of your bias.

As for the topic at hand, what have Batman and Wolverine done with a sword?

snoopdogg
See Dracula vs. Black Knight.

snoopdogg
time slowing isn't a metaphor, it's a statement of fact, in order to move and react quickly you must be able to perceive the world slower, much like captain america. You're discounting the narrator to prove your point being that Blade is barely superhuman so he can't be that fast. Enough of your bias.

As for the topic at hand, what have Batman and Wolverine done with a sword? Tracks, don't bother. Seriously.

Trackz
It's called Hyperbole. Hyperbole is a literary device. Hyperbole used via exaggeration to emphasis a point create a strong impression, and is not meant to be taken literally. Hyperbole is used primarily in poetry. Example of Hyperbole: "Time stops for all but Blade." the hyperbole being that time stops for all but blade, however what it correlates to is the world slowing down for Blade (how he perceives it) not just Blade starts moving fast

marwash22
As for the topic at hand, what have Batman and Wolverine done with a sword? seriously?

snoopdogg
Well, Logan just made Silver Samurai look like a douche bag.

Trackz
seriously? I'm not questioning their mastery, just for the upper-tier of their sword feats.

srankmissingnin
time slowing isn't a metaphor, it's a statement of fact, in order to move and react quickly you must be able to perceive the world slower, much like captain america. You're discounting the narrator to prove your point being that Blade is barely superhuman so he can't be that fast. Enough of your bias.

As for the topic at hand, what have Batman and Wolverine done with a sword?

You are right it wasn't a metaphor, but it was a hyperbole. It's a poem people, except it an move on.

snoopdogg
except it an move on. smile

Trackz
You are right it wasn't a metaphor, but it was a hyperbole. It's a poem people, except it an move on. a poem that correctly dictated the events that occurred, and you're discounting it because it would make blade faster than he is in your pre-conceived idea of him. the hyperbole was that Blade has the ability to make the world slow-down, what really happens is that blade moved extremely fast and he saw the world slow down, which comes with having an exceptionally quick reaction time and movement speed.

srankmissingnin
a poem that correctly dictated the events that occurred, and you're discounting it because it would make blade faster than he is in your pre-conceived idea of him. the hyperbole was that Blade has the ability to make the world slow-down, what really happens is that blade moved extremely fast and he saw the world slow down, which comes with having an exceptionally quick reaction time and movement speed.

A poem that recounted the events that transpired in an extravagant and exaggerated manor. It wasn't meant to be taken literally.

snoopdogg
a poem that correctly dictated the events that occurred, and you're discounting it because it would make blade faster than he is in your pre-conceived idea of him. the hyperbole was that Blade has the ability to make the world slow-down, what really happens is that blade moved extremely fast and he saw the world slow down, which comes with having an exceptionally quick reaction time and movement speed. It's not hyperbole if the comic actually shows what's going on. Kinda like this:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_BladespeedBlade3.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_Bladefast-1.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_Bladefast2.jpg

Trackz
A poem that recounted the events that transpired in an extravagant and exaggerated manor. It wasn't meant to be taken literally. what was said that was exaggerated?

snoopdogg
what was said that was exaggerated? Swank. But the arist tells a different story.

snoopdogg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_Bladeslicin.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_Bladeslicin2.jpg

srankmissingnin
It's not hyperbole if the comic actually shows what's going on. Kinda like this:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_BladespeedBlade3.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_Bladefast-1.jpghttp://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Speed/th_Bladefast2.jpg

Yeah, that's hyperbole. The whole point is to exaggerate his speed for effect and to create a stronger impression with in narrative. Did he move fast? Yes... that's why the hyperbole was used in the first place, but he didn't move as fast as the narration implicates. Did you guys not have a mandatory poetry unit once a year in high school? What is the American curriculum like? Why am I explaining poetic devices to you?

snoopdogg
So why is it then Blade is drawn in a blur?

srankmissingnin
So why is it then Blade is drawn in a blur?

Why is Nightwing drawn like a blur in a dozen places at once in a single panel? Does he slow down time too?

Sheesh

dev10n
Yeah, that's hyperbole. The whole point is to exaggerate his speed for effect and to create a stronger impression with in narrative. Did he move fast? Yes... that's why the hyperbole was used in the first place, but he didn't move as fast as the narration implicates. Did you guys not have a mandatory poetry unit once a year in high school? What is the American curriculum like? Why am I explaining poetic devices to you? if you move very fast and your brain is processing all the information at hand then you would perceive time as moving slowly laughing stick out tongue

snoopdogg
Why is Nightwing drawn like a blur in a dozen places at once in a single panel? Does he slow down time too?

Sheesh Have scans of this Nighting drawn in a blur? I sure hope it's not like the refridgerator feat. After images are one thing but a blur is another. After images don't mean much sometimes they just show the path the character has taken instead of drawning 5 panels they can do one.

snoopdogg
if you move very fast and your brain is processing all the information at hand then you would perceive time as moving slowly laughing stick out tongue If Wolverine had speed feats to match that swank wouldn't be so butt-hurt.

Trackz
Yeah, that's hyperbole. The whole point is to exaggerate his speed for effect and to create a stronger impression with in narrative. Did he move fast? Yes... that's why the hyperbole was used in the first place, but he didn't move as fast as the narration implicates. Did you guys not have a mandatory poetry unit once a year in high school? What is the American curriculum like? Why am I explaining poetic devices to you?
so first the vampiric healing, now the speed.
1. he has stated vampiric speed
2. the narrative never exaggerated on-panel events, only made them poetic
3. you're construing the meaning of what was stated to suit you, it states time-slows for Blade, clearly meaning he perceived the world slow enough to speed blitz several of his opponents, who clearly weren't capable of keeping up with his movements. To be able to move at superhuman speeds you must be able to perceive the world slower and have an increased reaction time.

Trackz

Sheesh he doesn't have the narrator state he is perceiving things slower.

srankmissingnin
Have scans of this Nighting drawn in a blur? I sure hope it's not like the refridgerator feat. After images are one thing but a blur is another. After images don't mean much sometimes they just show the path the character has taken instead of drawning 5 panels they can do one.

Now that I've explained the use of literary devices in poetry to you I'm going to have to explain to you methods artists use to depicted motion in sequential story telling? Keep this up and you'll need to start righting me a pay check.

snoopdogg
Now that I've explained the use of literary devices in poetry to you I'm going to have to explain to you methods artists use to depicted motion in sequential story telling? Keep this up and you'll need to start righting me a pay check. I'd rather you show me a scan of Nightwing drawn in a blur. I hope it tips the fridge feat. That was funny as hell.

Trackz
Now that I've explained the use of literary devices in poetry to you I'm going to have to explain to you methods artists use to depicted motion in sequential story telling? Keep this up and you'll need to start righting me a pay check. it's clear and supported by on-panel evidence that he left an after-image, even after he moved to his opponents back, she continued to strike as she didn't realize he wasn't there. nice try again though.

marwash22
Why is Blade's speed even in question?

srankmissingnin
so first the vampiric healing, now the speed.
1. he has stated vampiric speed
2. the narrative never exaggerated on-panel events, only made them poetic
3. you're construing the meaning of what was stated to suit you, it states time-slows for Blade, clearly meaning he perceived the world slow enough to speed blitz several of his opponents, who clearly weren't capable of keeping up with his movements. To be able to move at superhuman speeds you must be able to perceive the world slower and have an increased reaction time.

Vampiric healing, which I was also right about if you've been keeping score.

Exaggerating on-panel events is exactly what happened.

I'm not misconstruing the meaning at all, I'm completely disregarding it. It's a poem. The writer wanted to say "Blade is fast," so he wrote something more elaborate and poetic... that's how poetry work. You are the one trying to interpret a freaking verse of poetry into something of any relevance. Do you not see the absurdity of that? IT WAS A POEM! This is crazy.

srankmissingnin
I'd rather you show me a scan of Nightwing drawn in a blur. I hope it tips the fridge feat. That was funny as hell.

There are dozens of after images feats of Nightwing, go look them up, it won't take you long.

snoopdogg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Marksmen/th_Bladesenses.jpghttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/doggydogg2/th_Bladeear.jpg

snoopdogg
There are dozens of after images feats of Nightwing, go look them up, it won't take you long. I said blur, like you mentioned earlier. I've seen Louis Lane drawn in after images.

Trackz
Vampiric healing, which I was also right about if you've been keeping score.

Exaggerating on-panel events is exactly what happened.

I'm not misconstruing the meaning at all, I'm completely disregarding it. It's a poem. The writer wanted to say "Blade is fast," so he wrote something more elaborate and poetic... that's how poetry work. You are the one trying to interpret a freaking verse of poetry into something of any relevance. Do you not see the absurdity of that? IT WAS A POEM! This is crazy.

...wow, ok i don't know why i haven't learned not to respond to your trolling. you'll be put on ignore from here on out.

srankmissingnin
I said blur, like you mentioned earlier. I've seen Louis Lane drawn in after images.

Seems to me the "blur" is exactly the same thing as an after image, just without the reference point of the next motion in the same panel. It's just action lines to denote motion. I'd have to look for one, I know its happened on limbs, not sure about full body though.

godking

Batman
Black Panther
Blade
Captain America
Deadpool
Deathstroke
Doctor Doom
Green Arrow
Nightcrawler
Psylocke
Ra's Al Ghul
Wolverine
Wonder Woman Taskmaster can beat or at the very least draw with anyone on that list in a swordfight.

dev10n
Originally posted by godking
Taskmaster can beat or at the very least draw with anyone on that list in a swordfight. well not exactly he is limited by human reflexes so Nightcrawler,Deadpool, and Blade should be able to beat him

marwash22
who gives a shit about Taskmaster, he's not apart of this. Katana, Clock King and the Swordsman are better than a lot of these people too... not the point.

batdude123
who gives a shit about Taskmaster, he's not apart of this. Katana, Clock King and the Swordsman are better than a lot of these people too... not the point.

YFZ 350
Wolverine is the best on this list.

This discussion is nonsense. Blade is faster than humans. His time perception is slower compared to theirs. So what? Most people in comics are that way. Blade's not even the fastest in this list. Wonder Woman would stomp everybody here in a swordfight, that's not what the op is asking.

namorsubby
Ras

godking
who gives a shit about Taskmaster, he's not apart of this. Katana, Clock King and the Swordsman are better than a lot of these people too... not the point. He belongs on a swordsmanship list.

Ize19
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c379/Doggydogg/Blade%20Marksmen/th_Bladesenses.jpghttp://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/doggydogg2/th_Bladeear.jpg

So... he tries to puncture his eardrum, but slices off part of his ear instead? confused stick out tongue

dev10n
Originally posted by 753
This discussion is nonsense. Blade is faster than humans. His time perception is slower compared to theirs. So what? Most people in comics are that way. Blade's not even the fastest in this list. Wonder Woman would stomp everybody here in a swordfight, that's not what the op is asking. most of what you just said is nonsense

Darth Martin
Originally posted by godking
He belongs on a swordsmanship list. All those guys mentioned are obviously the best. I want to see the list in the OP ranked.

most of what you just said is nonsense That's because you can't grasp it. The world is slow motion to blade? It's every bit as slowmotion to anyone with metahuman or even peak human reflexes - his feats arent better than some peak humans'. Their reaction times are shorter than baseline humans, that's all this means. The idea, initially put forward by you, that this somehow makes him a top contender in this rank and that he is being underrated is nonsense because we're debating skillset only, not physical/neural stats. If we were debating those along with skills, he'd still not be a top contender because WW (who has close to lightspeed reflexes) and some others would still be above him in reflexes and speed. He's also not particularly old, another nonsensical argument for why he is so good you put forward, when compared to some of the others in the list.

srankmissingnin
It's just the theory of special relativity people. The faster you are moving the slower a clock will tick relative to your internal clock. You guys are arguing over minutia, Blade doesn't move fast enough for time dilation to be a significant talking point. Almost everyone on this list has better speed feats anyway.

dev10n
Originally posted by 753
That's because you can't grasp it. The world is slow motion to blade? It's every bit as slowmotion to anyone with metahuman or even peak human reflexes - his feats arent better than some peak humans'. Their reaction times are shorter than baseline humans, that's all this means. The idea, initially put forward by you, that this somehow makes him a top contender in this rank and that he is being underrated is nonsense because we're debating skillset only, not physical/neural stats. If we were debating those along with skills, he'd still not be a top contender because WW (who has close to lightspeed reflexes) and some others would still be above him in reflexes and speed. He's also not particularly old, another nonsensical argument for why he is so good you put forward, when compared to some of the others in the list. DUDE READ WHAT YOU JUST WROTE ALOT ABOUT NOTHING

dev10n
It's just the theory of special relativity people. The faster you are moving the slower a clock will tick relative to your internal clock. You guys are arguing over minutia, Blade doesn't move fast enough for time dilation to be a significant talking point. Almost everyone on this list has better speed feats anyway. LOL finally someone on your side

iceman24567
Blades speed doesn't really matter here

dev10n
Why are people saying speed and and reflexes don't matter in a SWORDFIGHT if take away speed and reflexes youll have people just hacking at each other with a sword

iceman24567
We are saying here it is useless because it is otherwise Wonderwoman pretty much stomps everybody at the same time blind folded no expression. This is a ranking based on skill with the sword or can you not read?

dev10n
Originally posted by iceman24567
We are saying here it is useless because it is otherwise Wonderwoman pretty much stomps everybody at the same time blind folded no expression. This is a ranking based on skill with the sword or can you not read? how do you judge skill with a sword

Darth Martin
Strength and speed have nothing to do with my thread. Technical skill was the question.

iceman24567
The same way you judge MMa fighters skill with their fists? Feats duh.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>