Rhino vs. Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
CIS is off for Rhino. No jobbing for him, either. Thor doesn't have Mjolnir.

Starscream M
Thor 10/10. What's the point of this thread...seems like a bait spite thread.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Starscream M
Thor 10/10. What's the point of this thread...seems like a bait spite thread.

rhino if he doesn't job, could legitimately put up a fight

What more do you want for Rhino? I took off jobbing and CIS.

Starscream M
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
What more do you want for Rhino? I took off jobbing and CIS. umm....that was for Rhino vs Hercules. Last time I checked, Hercules can't fly, does not have Mjolnir, nor other energy powers that Thor has.

yeah, reading comprehension ftw!

JakeTheBank
umm....that was for Rhino vs Hercules. Last time I checked, Hercules can't fly, does not have Mjolnir, nor other energy powers that Thor has.

So taking away Mjolnir would make things easier for Rhino then?

Done.

It's not the first time Thor had to be "handicapped" in a thread, right?! durlaugh

guy222
thor

Rage.Of.Olympus
umm....that was for Rhino vs Hercules. Last time I checked, Hercules can't fly, does not have Mjolnir, nor other energy powers that Thor has.

Hahahaha.

Irony for the win. His criticizing your reading comprehension Jake, while at the same time proving how lacking his skills are. He wouldn't, or more accurately, couldn't, understand the OP.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Hahahaha.

Irony for the win. His criticizing your reading comprehension Jake, while at the same time proving how lacking his skills are. He wouldn't, or more accurately, couldn't, understand the OP. you clown...jake edited his OP.

reading comprehension ftw part 2!

marwash22
Hahahaha.

Irony for the win. His criticizing your reading comprehension Jake, while at the same time proving how lacking his skills are. He wouldn't, or more accurately, couldn't, understand the OP. Actually, the OP edited the thread.

Thor still wins.

Starscream M
Originally posted by marwash22

Thor still wins. yep, thor does win...even without Mjolnir, thor still has access to most of his powers.

Bentley
Rhino has no chance in hell here, it would take at least Wonderman to beat him.

Black bolt z
Rhino puts up a fight but thor wins.Even with no jobbing he will still job.

Colossus-Big C
originally rhino was supposed to be like juggernaut

Bentley
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
originally rhino was supposed to be like juggernaut

You mean a jobber? eek!

chomperx9
put a bandana over thors eyes and he still wins

Colossus-Big C
he has rocked savage hulk believe it or not

Black bolt z
he has rocked savage hulk believe it or not Who?Rhino?Yeah he went up against hulk a lot.He's about equal to abomination.Meaning he gave hulk a fight but never really had a chance.

dev10n
sad you stole my threads shine

Thor btw

cdtm
Thor should win. Even without CIS and not letting Thor have his hammer, he can still channel the Godforce. But I think he could win this with pure hand to hand.

r0nm0n88
thors vastly superior regardless of not having his little hammer

quanchi112
Thor stomps.

Badabing
Originally posted by quanchi112
Thor stomps. Enough of your Thor fanboyism!

roughrider
Even without mjolnir, Thor turns him into his new toilet bowl.

This is RHINO.

Rage.Of.Olympus
you clown...jake edited his OP.

reading comprehension ftw part 2!

How is that a sign of poor reading comprehension? I didn't see the edit. Shit, it wasn't until I refreshed the page that I could see the little edit box at the bottom of his post.

jinzin
Rhino the way he was supposed to be written was a physical match for Hulk and was supposed to be invulnerable. Even Juggernaught commented on how he couldn't be harmed by attacking his hyde.

A non jobbing Rhino would put up a HUGE physical fight for Thor. It'd be about on par with Thor's original fight with Wrecker or hell.. Hulk even. With Thor having to resort to his agility and speed to secure an advantage... Ultimately Thor wins, but a non jobbing Rhino is faster than Spiderman, strong as the Hulk, and invulnerable to guys like Depowerednaught in h2h. Not to be underestimated.

That said... we've NEVER SEEN a non jobbing Rhino really.... sooooooo...errrr yeah... confused

cdtm
Originally posted by Badabing
Enough of your Thor fanboyism!

No surprise here, given he thinks Thor could stomp Thanos and Sentry/Void at the same time. WITHOUT the hammer. roll eyes (sarcastic)

celeyhyga17
Thor will have himself a new rhinoceros horn in his collection.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by jinzin
Rhino the way he was supposed to be written was a physical match for Hulk and was supposed to be invulnerable. Even Juggernaught commented on how he couldn't be harmed by attacking his hyde.

A non jobbing Rhino would put up a HUGE physical fight for Thor. It'd be about on par with Thor's original fight with Wrecker or hell.. Hulk even. With Thor having to resort to his agility and speed to secure an advantage... Ultimately Thor wins, but a non jobbing Rhino is faster than Spiderman, strong as the Hulk, and invulnerable to guys like Depowerednaught in h2h. Not to be underestimated.

That said... we've NEVER SEEN a non jobbing Rhino really.... sooooooo...errrr yeah... confused basically,

iirc he went toe to toe with juggs

The Nuul
Thor shit stomps.

Bentley
Originally posted by jinzin

That said... we've NEVER SEEN a non jobbing Rhino really.... sooooooo...errrr yeah... confused

Jeez, if only Thor wasn't a guy who has survived on the surface of the sun and was totally his superior this would be a hell of a fight...

Parmaniac
Thor

Black bolt z
basically,

iirc he went toe to toe with juggs and lost right?

jinzin
Originally posted by Bentley
Jeez, if only Thor wasn't a guy who has survived on the surface of the sun and was totally his superior this would be a hell of a fight...

confused

Not really sure what the hell surviving the surface of the sun has to do with ANYTHING in this thread.... but..... ooookay?

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Black bolt z
and lost right?

Rhino was amped and Cain was depowered. And yeah, in the end Juggs still won.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Badabing
Enough of your Thor fanboyism! I've been infected with the rage virus.Originally posted by jinzin
confused

Not really sure what the hell surviving the surface of the sun has to do with ANYTHING in this thread.... but..... ooookay? laughing out loud I don't get how you think this could be anything other than a stomp.

Badabing
I've been infected with the rage virus. Heh, people thought I was serious. lol

psycho gundam
http://img234.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=41855_Punisher_War_18_122_125lo.jpg

http://img163.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=41856_Punisher_War_19_122_834lo.jpg

http://img153.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=41861_Punisher_War_20_122_674lo.jpg

http://img213.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=41867_Punisher_War_21_122_568lo.jpg

http://img241.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=41869_Punisher_War_22_122_418lo.jpg

substitute the shield gun and the satan claw for planet shattering asgardian fists smile

Ptr_Grifin
iirc he went toe to toe with juggs

As StiltmanFTW said, Rhino was amped and Juggernaut was depowered. That's when Cain commented that Rhino's skin is tough. Then he shot him in the mouth KOing him.

That being said, Rhino (under mind control) has defeated Hulk. But I don't think he could defeat Thor here.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I don't think anyone actually believes Rhino can beat Thor. Heck, it would be a good showing for Rhino if the fight lasts for more than a few panels.

Ptr_Grifin
I don't think anyone actually believes Rhino can beat Thor. Heck, it would be a good showing for Rhino if the fight lasts for more than a few panels.

I'm thinking it would be one of those fights Thor gets into thinking he'll win easily then he gets kind of trashed by Rhino. Thor then thinks to himself (or blurts out in Asgardian tongue) "WTF?!? When did he get so smart?!?!?" Then Thor curb stomps him.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Ptr_Grifin
I'm thinking it would be one of those fights Thor gets into thinking he'll win easily then he gets kind of trashed by Rhino. never. that's not what's best in life

6PQ6335puOc&feature

warriors never think like that

Ptr_Grifin
Originally posted by psycho gundam
never. that's not what's best in life

6PQ6335puOc&feature

warriors never think like that

Sorry, can't hear that. My monitor has been screwing up (has built in speakers) so I had to connect my computer to my TV...My 40in HDTVshifty, and have no way of hooking up sound to it yet. So the vid is ineffective. But just to maybe somewhat kind of counter it, Thor thought that when he fount Juggernaut on the 8th Day.

psycho gundam
you don't know what's best in life happy

Rage.Of.Olympus
He is a Juggernaut fan.

I'm thinking it would be one of those fights Thor gets into thinking he'll win easily then he gets kind of trashed by Rhino. Thor then thinks to himself (or blurts out in Asgardian tongue) "WTF?!? When did he get so smart?!?!?" Then Thor curb stomps him.

Thor one shots him you Rhino fanboy.

He also beats the shit out of the Juggernaut.

Ptr_Grifin
Originally posted by psycho gundam
you don't know what's best in life happy

Actually I think I remember that scene. Well played.

He is a Juggernaut fan.

Thor one shots him you Rhino fanboy.

He also beats the shit out of the Juggernaut.

Woah, calm down spunky. I'm no Rhino fanboy. He has a little bit o' power, and could surprised Thor, but he ain't beating Thor.

Also, Thor ain't beating Juggernaut without cheap tricks or BFR.

Lord_Talron
rhino without jobbing is quite a threat, hes a pretty high tier brawler. that said, thor still has the edge here

Rage.Of.Olympus
Woah, calm down spunky. I'm no Rhino fanboy. He has a little bit o' power, and could surprised Thor, but he ain't beating Thor.

Also, Thor ain't beating Juggernaut without cheap tricks or BFR.

No, **** you! Your nothing but a dirty fanboy.

Well, if by cheap trick you mean turning off his force field so they can go at as real men, then yes, I agree.

Ptr_Grifin
No, **** you! Your nothing but a dirty fanboy.

Well, if by cheap trick you mean turning off his force field so they can go at as real men, then yes, I agree.

Nah, it would take more than that in a CIS/PIS fight. But whatever floats your boat and helps you sleep at night.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Nah, it would take more than that in a CIS/PIS fight. But whatever floats your boat and helps you sleep at night.

I'm interested now. You consider there second fight an indication of CIS/PIS? Really? Which part in particular?

I assume you've read most of Juggernaut's appearances, so you know his true invulnerability being reliant on his force field is far from baseless.

Ptr_Grifin
I'm interested now. You consider there second fight an indication of CIS/PIS? Really? Which part in particular?

I assume you've read most of Juggernaut's appearances, so you know his true invulnerability being reliant on his force field is far from baseless.

Admittedly, Juggernaut can a hard character to follow. I do not believe that his invulnerability is directly tied to his force-field. It seems that his FF is usually there to make him somewhat immovable, redirect energy (both of those in earlier issues) and keep others from grabbing hold of him/getting to his helmet.

I think that writer may be the only one to insinuate that. Even taking away that invulnerability, his healing factor should keep him going regardless. Although, his healing factor was later explored after that Thor fight, so it wasn't taken into account / know of by that writer back then.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Admittedly, Juggernaut can a hard character to follow. I do not believe that his invulnerability is directly tied to his force-field. It seems that his FF is usually there to make him somewhat immovable, redirect energy (both of those in earlier issues) and keep others from grabbing hold of him/getting to his helmet.

I think that writer may be the only one to insinuate that. Even taking away that invulnerability, his healing factor should keep him going regardless. Although, his healing factor was later explored after that Thor fight, so it wasn't taken into account / know of by that writer back then.

I do. At least back then.

He seemed to be attributing his invulnerability to his force field back in the day. He made statements similar to: "As long as nothing penetrates my force field, I'm invulnerable." or "Nothing can harm me through my invulnerable force field." etc.

And at the times he was found without it on, he certainly didn't seem invulnerable. He was hurt by Storm and Spider-Woman's electrical attack, staggered by an impact with a wind tunnel fan, hurt when Nightcrawler threw a torch in his face etc.

His force field has been depicted as invisible and practically a second skin so just because it's not being shown doesn't mean it isn't being used. I recall an issue where Black Tom gained half of Juggernaut's powers, and Spider-Man's webbing stopped inches from his face, and no mention of the force field is given as far as I recall, although it's been years. That could explain his invulnerability without the force field being mentioned in an issue although I doubt current writers even remember the force field.

Based on shit like that, I don't see how his fight with Thor can be considered P.I.S.

If your referring to the scene with the D'Spayre, that was a high showing for Juggernaut and as I recall, his healing factor has never been on that level before. Don't expect it to be portrayed like that a lot.

Juggernaut being invulnerable all on his own now wouldn't be any surprise, but let's no pretend as if there wasn't heavy evidence to suggest that it was the case for his actual invulnerability back in the day. At least under some writers. That field was present since day one.

That's my opinion on the entire Cain/Field thing from what I remember.

Ptr_Grifin
And at the times he was found without it on, he certainly didn't seem invulnerable. He was hurt by Storm and Spider-Woman's electrical attack, staggered by an impact with a wind tunnel fan, hurt when Nightcrawler threw a torch in his face etc.

In the Storm Spider-Woman fight, I think they mentioned they attacked his neurological system or something to that affect, Storms powers amplified Spider-Womans. He wasn't damaged. I'll have to go back and read those issues.

The wind tunnel thing, if I'm thinking of the same thing, is in a different category. His shield seemed to make him an immovable object there as apposed to protecting him physically. He "turned on" his FF and the fan had no affect on him as he flew through the air, whilst the fan should have been able to blow a 900lb object away.

The Nightcrawler part is something I can't explain really. Deadpool attacked him with molten metal, which he was pissed at, but didn't harm him. Covered him head to toe. So a little fire should not have been able to harm him.

His force field has been depicted as invisible and practically a second skin so just because it's not being shown doesn't mean it isn't being used. I recall an issue where Black Tom gained half of Juggernaut's powers, and Spider-Man's webbing stopped inches from his face, and no mention of the force field is given as far as I recall, although it's been years. That could explain his invulnerability without the force field being mentioned in an issue although I doubt current writers even remember the force field.

That's another thing that makes it difficult to follow him. DeFalco had a hand in writing both the Spider-Man story and the Thor ones. I don't think he knew everything about the character though. He labeled Juggernaut as a mutant in a few of the issues (in the narration).

The team-up issue where Black Tom gained half the power, is somewhat retconned by New Excalibur and the Irredeemable arc. Basically when another touches the gem, the original Juggernaut is depowered and they have to fight to the death in order to stay/become the new Juggernaut.

I agree with the current writers not remembering/knowing about the FF.

Based on shit like that, I don't see how his fight with Thor can be considered P.I.S.

If your referring to the scene with the D'Spayre, that was a high showing for Juggernaut and as I recall, his healing factor has never been on that level before. Don't expect it to be portrayed like that a lot.

Juggernaut being invulnerable all on his own now wouldn't be any surprise, but let's no pretend as if there wasn't heavy evidence to suggest that it was the case for his actual invulnerability back in the day. At least under some writers. That field was present since day one.

That's my opinion on the entire Cain/Field thing from what I remember.

When Juggernaut first fought the Hulk, I am pretty sure he didn't use his FF. Hulk was able to grab his helmet and throw him, while Thor could not even dent his helmet until the shield was gone. Of course when Juggernaut fought WWH, Hulk was able to dent his helmet, I don't think his shield was used there either. I would think Hulks punches then were stronger than Thor's in #429. But Thors hits definitely were more effective looking than Hulks between the two stories.

I don't expect a portrayal like the D'Spraye scene to happen often. For one, Juggs (unfortunately) doesn't have many appearances, and even less when he is actually shown to have damage. The two times I can recall are the above mentioned, and in X-Force when Shatterstars sword stab his eyes out. Both healed within the next panel. To add to the healing ability, when he was depowered and fought Rhino, who was amped, Rhino was able to stab his horn into his stomach, and in the next few panels it was healed over.

Over all, I'm not going to tell you your opinion is flatout wrong, because there are those instances that support you. Some can be argued back and forth, while the fire with Nightcrawler is a 'WTF?'. I will attribute this to Juggernaut's character being rarely used, and his showings going up and down and powers differing from writer to writer (globules of energy anyone?). Maybe back then writers thought differently, some thought "Oh a shield, that must be the source of his invulnerability", while others were thinking, "Shield, what shield?".

But with what Juggernaut has become over the years, while at full power, considering the healing factor, I don't think the shield trick used by Thor back in '91 would/should work on Juggernaut today.

cdtm
No, Juggernaut didn't use a force field in his fight with Hulk. And yes, Hulk was able to pick him up by the helmet and toss him into a mountain.

And nothing Hulk did really hurt Juggernaut, according to Juggernaut himself.

There's other examples of Jugg's body simply being invulnerable without the force field, such as the time he took on the Exemplars and their combined attack was described as not harming his body, and even his clothes that had the same protective spell. Only the mind attack took him down.

Rage.Of.Olympus
In the Storm Spider-Woman fight, I think they mentioned they attacked his neurological system or something to that affect, Storms powers amplified Spider-Womans. He wasn't damaged. I'll have to go back and read those issues.

The wind tunnel thing, if I'm thinking of the same thing, is in a different category. His shield seemed to make him an immovable object there as apposed to protecting him physically. He "turned on" his FF and the fan had no affect on him as he flew through the air, whilst the fan should have been able to blow a 900lb object away.

The Nightcrawler part is something I can't explain really. Deadpool attacked him with molten metal, which he was pissed at, but didn't harm him. Covered him head to toe. So a little fire should not have been able to harm him.

Did they? I remember them both attacking him and the narration stating that Juggernaut screamed in rage, then in pain. The pain part would indicate that their clearly had an effect on him.

The scene I'm thinking off, he was staggered by the impact. At least I think he was.

Different writers, different levels. Happens to all characters. In that same issue - the Deadpool one- didn't Juggernaut scream in pain when Deadpool dropped a set of knives on top of him? I'm pretty sure he did.

That's another thing that makes it difficult to follow him. DeFalco had a hand in writing both the Spider-Man story and the Thor ones. I don't think he knew everything about the character though. He labeled Juggernaut as a mutant in a few of the issues (in the narration).

The team-up issue where Black Tom gained half the power, is somewhat retconned by New Excalibur and the Irredeemable arc. Basically when another touches the gem, the original Juggernaut is depowered and they have to fight to the death in order to stay/become the new Juggernaut.

I agree with the current writers not remembering/knowing about the FF.

The Spider-Man story was Marvel Team-Up #150 as I recall. That was written by Simonson and not DeFalco. Tom stopped writing that series at around #135 or so.

That's true to an extent but my point is that there is precedent for Thor #429 so it still stands.

When Juggernaut first fought the Hulk, I am pretty sure he didn't use his FF. Hulk was able to grab his helmet and throw him, while Thor could not even dent his helmet until the shield was gone. Of course when Juggernaut fought WWH, Hulk was able to dent his helmet, I don't think his shield was used there either. I would think Hulks punches then were stronger than Thor's in #429. But Thors hits definitely were more effective looking than Hulks between the two stories.

I don't think it was stated to be in play either. Like I said, Juggernaut's force field is portrayed like a second skin at times. For example, the New Warriors were able to wrap a steel girder around him, and Thrasher was able to land on his back and pound on him. So it definitely wouldn't be out of the question for the Hulk to grab him by his helmet. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that the writer of the original Hulk and Juggernaut fight even had the force field in mind when he wrote it, but going by the above evidence, it could make sense to at least some extent. Continuity wise.

I would expect there to be evidence that supported Juggernaut being invulnerable to some extent without his force field from back in the day though. I mean, he should still be really durable without it. Low showings should be averaged out.

And it should be noted, that around this year, Juggernaut's powers were a bit iffy. I believe in Amazing Adventures #16 or so, Beast defeated Juggernaut by removing his helmet, which basically drained him of all of his power and youth or something similar. Pretty damn weird unless I'm forgetting some circumstances.

I don't expect a portrayal like the D'Spraye scene to happen often. For one, Juggs (unfortunately) doesn't have many appearances, and even less when he is actually shown to have damage. The two times I can recall are the above mentioned, and in X-Force when Shatterstars sword stab his eyes out. Both healed within the next panel. To add to the healing ability, when he was depowered and fought Rhino, who was amped, Rhino was able to stab his horn into his stomach, and in the next few panels it was healed over.

That's a good one. I forgot about the Shatterstar incident. I'll give you that one. Also kind of supports my stance to an extent.

That one was post D'Spayre so I'd expect him to have at least some healing factor. Was this consistent however? I recall him being injured in at least one situation with something similar to a bruise and not healing in panels etc. I'm not sure though.

Over all, I'm not going to tell you your opinion is flatout wrong, because there are those instances that support you. Some can be argued back and forth, while the fire with Nightcrawler is a 'WTF?'. I will attribute this to Juggernaut's character being rarely used, and his showings going up and down and powers differing from writer to writer (globules of energy anyone?). Maybe back then writers thought differently, some thought "Oh a shield, that must be the source of his invulnerability", while others were thinking, "Shield, what shield?".

That's a logical enough stance.

But with what Juggernaut has become over the years, while at full power, considering the healing factor, I don't think the shield trick used by Thor back in '91 would/should work on Juggernaut today.

I wouldn't expect it to work now. Hell, I wouldn't even expect it to be remembered by current writers. If Thor did something similar, I'd expect it to be referenced that his durability was weakened and not that his force field was removed.

Anyways, based on the shit I've seen and read, I don't think it's correct to write off Thor #429 as P.I.S. etc. It definitely has precedent. That's basically my entire stance.

And in regards to my previous post when I stated his statements support my opinion to an extent, I meant shit like this:

http://i49.tinypic.com/14wytdl.jpg

And even better, shit like this:

http://i47.tinypic.com/35c4m5f.jpg

Thanks to Jonathan to scans.

Ptr_Grifin
I didn't clearly type what I wanted to say there on the Marvel Team-up. When I mentioned DeFalco, I was thinking about Thor and Amazing Spider-Man where Cains field was colored yellow for some reason. It was late and I was running my thoughts together on that, I knew DeFalco didn't write that issue. When you mentioned Spidey's webbing not touching Cain, I was thinking of ASM when it was shown.

I got the impression that during the fight with the New Warriors, Cain knew he didn't need the shield there, so he may not have used it. In those issues it seems that when he was using it, the narration let the reader know. That shield gets turned on and off a good bit in the issues it is displayed in. For instance when Firestar heated his armor till it was white hot. That didn't even register to him. But I don't think he shield was up due the his actual suit being super heated. Versus the ASM issue when the tanker exploded in his face.

The Amazing Fantasy with Beast had some strange happenings behind it. He was thrown into Oblivion by Eternity. While there, the place was draining his power. For some reason his rage kept him youthful. When Beast removed his helmet, he lost his confidence and that dimension was still taking affect on him and the draining of his power become more evident and he returned to Oblivion.

I forgot to mention that Shatterstars sword was also magical which was the reason given that it could damage Cain.

Outside of the D'Spraye fight and Shatterstar, I don't think he has been drawn with any physical damage while being at full power. He may have been injured in Malibu's All New Exiles, but he was weaker then.

I agree, that if Thor did something similar I would hope they would say his over durability was weakened versus just his shield.

Overall, the Thor fight is strange. With fights with the Hulk and others in the X-men, the shield being the main source of his durability is a little out of character to me. But I can see why, given past showings, it seems that it is not PIS. Cain definitely needs to have a set-in-stone power set which writers can check on and keep the same. Past that last Thor issue in the 90's I can't recall another time when his shield was used. I'm certain it hasn't been reference in this decade.

Just another random thing about the shield, in his first appearance, he shield was drawn out, and it seemed to disengrate the ground as he was clawing his way out of the hole that Cyclops made.

jinzin
laughing out loud I don't get how you think this could be anything other than a stomp. Yeah.... but... you don't "get" a lot of things. erm

BruceSkywalker
thor ftw... rhino has never really been all that smart and thor still can access his powers as well as take care of rhino via h2h

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.