Donkey Kong Country Returns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mandrag Ganon
It is finally here, a game long overdue: Donkey Kong Country is back!

http://kotaku.com/5564122/donkey-kongs-back-with

S_D_J
yes eek!

here's hoping it's not same crap as DK64 thumb up

Mandrag Ganon
Here's the trailer
ywVEIlOgdm8

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by S_D_J
yes eek!

here's hoping it's not same crap as DK64 thumb up
It's not, although that game was fun too.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
It's not, although that game was fun too.

hated that sh*t

Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
Here's the trailer
ywVEIlOgdm8

eek!

Juk3n
THAT. LOOKS. EPIC. Best platorm game of 2010/11 im calling it.

Ridley_Prime
hated that sh*t
Why?

S_D_J
I just didn't liked it, hated the graphics, the game itself was tedious... after loving every Country game before it, I was a huge let down for me... never actually finished it (I sold my 64 before that) erm

Ridley_Prime
ermm Fair enough I guess. Had great memories with that game too though, and the graphics were phenomenal for its time IMHO.

Ah well. Back on topic, I love the look of this new game. A good portion of my childhood relived.

MooCowofJustice
Looks like fun. I enjoy the idea of more to do with your teammate than a useless throw.

Ridley_Prime
The throws weren't useless. no expression

MooCowofJustice
I only remember using the throws once or twice in all three. But I also never finished the games, I was like, 5.

Ridley_Prime
Oh, fair 'nuff. But yeah, the throws allowed you to get to a bunch of secret places, especially in 2 and to some extent, 3.

Zack Fair
I just didn't liked it, hated the graphics, the game itself was tedious... after loving every Country game before it, I was a huge let down for me... never actually finished it (I sold my 64 before that) erm

Same here.

I hate to say this but I want a Wii. Ugh ><

Sin_Volvagia
Thank God. I'm tired of the treatment the DK franchise was getting. Donkey Kong used to be one of my fave franchises back in the day.

Mandrag Ganon
I loved those games as a kid... though I have only beaten DK Country 1, but I am looking forward to DK Country Returns

Sin_Volvagia
Retro Studios is the best thing to hit Nintendo since Rare. Look what they did to the Metroid series. I can trust them when it comes to reviving a dead Nintendo franchise.

Morridini
Now this game looked good, definitley gonna check it out.

Mandrag Ganon
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
Retro Studios is the best thing to hit Nintendo since Rare. Look what they did to the Metroid series. I can trust them when it comes to reviving a dead Nintendo franchise.

Indeed, Metroid Prime was great, and I can't wait to see what they do with Donkey Kong Country.

Quincy
Gonna be amazing

S_D_J
love the music

Ridley_Prime
Haven't been keeping up with this game as much as I should have earlier, but I kinda just heard/learned that the Kremlings won't be returning in this game.

sad That there changes nearly everything I've come to expect. Looking back on the three classics, it's pretty hard to imagine a DKC game without Kremlings, even with Retro being behind the wheels. It's like having a platformer Mario without Goombas/Koopas/etc.

Maybe they should've just come up with an original 2.5D game than taking one of the most bar-raising game series and masterfully developed sidescrollers ever and dressing it up as something it's not. mmm Granted, I'll still get the game anyway for the sake of having something new to play in November, but still...

Ridley_Prime
Oh yeah, no underwater levels and possibly no animal buddies too.

Not that I'm writing the game off completely, but this does concern me.

General_Iroh
I'm sure it will still be fun, but not as good as DKC one and two. I mean no animal buddies sucks a lot, but this is probably for wii only anyway so I won't get it no matter what =/

Kazenji
Looks like a downloadable game that you would find on Wiiware to me for some reason to me.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Haven't been keeping up with this game as much as I should have earlier, but I kinda just heard/learned that the Kremlings won't be returning in this game.

sad That there changes nearly everything I've come to expect. Looking back on the three classics, it's pretty hard to imagine a DKC game without Kremlings, even with Retro being behind the wheels. It's like having a platformer Mario without Goombas/Koopas/etc.

Maybe they should've just come up with an original 2.5D game than taking one of the most bar-raising game series and masterfully developed sidescrollers ever and dressing it up as something it's not. mmm Granted, I'll still get the game anyway for the sake of having something new to play in November, but still... Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Oh yeah, no underwater levels and possibly no animal buddies too.

Not that I'm writing the game off completely, but this does concern me.

didn't know this and I concerned as well... chances are I'll still pick this one up, as well as the Kirby game big grin

jinXed by JaNx
Nintendo really needs to hire more creative developers. I imagine that anytime Nintendo needs a new game the pitch session goes something like this...,

"remember that really popular game that we made ten years ago? Well, yeah, how about we make another one? Great, make it happen."

With that said, i'm still looking forward to the game. I know it's not the characters that make nintendo games so much fun to play. It's the simple platforming gameplay but it would be nice if they made an attempt to introduce new characters instead of constantly recycling old ones.

S_D_J
Am I the only one here playing it?

Words can't describe how much I love this game. It took 3 generations for Nintendo to finally get back to what worked, and dear, it works great!

Blame it on Nostalgia, a mere longing for the old glory days, but damn, I just can't help but feel pure joy (and frustration) when playing it.

While you could argue it just plain laziness by Retro for not coming up with something original.. it simply doesn't need to be. The Country mechanics worked great in the Snes days, and the sudden love for anything "retro" (lol pun) + the need to revitalize a decaying franchise resulted in re-cycling a 10+ year old game, with just a touch of modern flavor to enhance the experience and it works wonderfully

I wouldn't mind if this game was all 2D, with pre-rended models and backgrounds, the 3D vibe (or 2.5D as everyone seem to call it) helps the game purely aesthetically (much as it does for SSF4) but the game is pure 2D goodness (the sunset levels are enough proof of that)

While I don't like that there are no underwater levels that I know of (why the hell does Donkey die when he touches sea water is beyond me?... and quite annoying!) I'm not really missing it. Retro has made a wonderful job at keeping the levels varied, fun and quite challenging.
This game impresses with every world you visit, and it never feels tiring and repetitive (unless you count dying for the 20th time!).

The animal pals are present in a small scale, but this game it's all about the Kongs. While you can't play with Diddy (unless you're wiimote two) playing with Donkey is enough to finish any level and you still end up having fun (though you'll miss and wish for Diddy to be there to help you get pass that god damn pit you just died on)

why am I bitching every time about dying? because beating the time challenges it's hard, finishing the secret levels it's hard, really freaking hard... until you get a bit more dexterous and memorize and timed each jump, and once you beat it, god it's such a joy. It's kind of a nerd-geek-gamer thing, but you do actually feel like you acomplish a great feat!.

The graphics are good to great, the sunset levels are amazing, kinda like Limbo, but alive and not depresing, but with this game it's all about the gameplay.

And the Music... eek! it almost brought tears to my eyes when I heard it (wasn't gonna cry in front of my nephew stick out tongue ), can't stop whistling the damn tunes every time I hear them, I actually stop playing just to enjoy it.

Talking about my 7 years old nephew, I can't believe this game is the reason me and the little bastard finally bonded (he's way to spoiled erm ) we get together when possible to play cooperative... I'm much further into the game with him than in my Solo file big grin

I didn't set out to write a review, but somehow I did, I just can't praise enough Retro Studios for bringing back the reason I became a full time gamer...

I feel like a kid again!

now I'm getting back to finish that damn level... here goes the 21th time stick out tongue

dadudemon
Am I the only one here playing it?

Words can't describe how much I love this game. It took 3 generations for Nintendo to finally get back to what worked, and dear, it works great!

Blame it on Nostalgia, a mere longing for the old glory days, but damn, I just can't help but feel pure joy (and frustration) when playing it.

While you could argue it just plain laziness by Retro for not coming up with something original.. it simply doesn't need to be. The Country mechanics worked great in the Snes days, and the sudden love for anything "retro" (lol pun) + the need to revitalize a decaying franchise resulted in re-cycling a 10+ year old game, with just a touch of modern flavor to enhance the experience and it works wonderfully

I wouldn't mind if this game was all 2D, with pre-rended models and backgrounds, the 3D vibe (or 2.5D as everyone seem to call it) helps the game purely aesthetically (much as it does for SSF4) but the game is pure 2D goodness (the sunset levels are enough proof of that)

While I don't like that there are no underwater levels that I know of (why the hell does Donkey die when he touches sea water is beyond me?... and quite annoying!) I'm not really missing it. Retro has made a wonderful job at keeping the levels varied, fun and quite challenging.
This game impresses with every world you visit, and it never feels tiring and repetitive (unless you count dying for the 20th time!).

The animal pals are present in a small scale, but this game it's all about the Kongs. While you can't play with Diddy (unless you're wiimote two) playing with Donkey is enough to finish any level and you still end up having fun (though you'll miss and wish for Diddy to be there to help you get pass that god damn pit you just died on)

why am I bitching every time about dying? because beating the time challenges it's hard, finishing the secret levels it's hard, really freaking hard... until you get a bit more dexterous and memorize and timed each jump, and once you beat it, god it's such a joy. It's kind of a nerd-geek-gamer thing, but you do actually feel like you acomplish a great feat!.

The graphics are good to great, the sunset levels are amazing, kinda like Limbo, but alive and not depresing, but with this game it's all about the gameplay.

And the Music... eek! it almost brought tears to my eyes when I heard it (wasn't gonna cry in front of my nephew stick out tongue ), can't stop whistling the damn tunes every time I hear them, I actually stop playing just to enjoy it.

Talking about my 7 years old nephew, I can't believe this game is the reason me and the little bastard finally bonded (he's way to spoiled erm ) we get together when possible to play cooperative... I'm much further into the game with him than in my Solo file big grin

I didn't set out to write a review, but somehow I did, I just can't praise enough Retro Studios for bringing back the reason I became a full time gamer...

I feel like a kid again!

now I'm getting back to finish that damn level... here goes the 21th time stick out tongue

This post is awesome*. up

Thanks for the info.

*It gave me diabetes, too.

Ridley_Prime
lol big grin

Just makes me all the more anxious to get it.

Ridley_Prime
Man, the whole "Cave" region got annoying after awhile with every level involving either a mine cart or one of those rocket things to ride on.. and I see the factory-based levels are as infuriating as ever, especially with the three randomly placed red buttons that I didn't know I had to press at first, which I had to replay the entire levels just to do so. Still, that kind of stuff and the music all added to the nostalgia.

Am currently trying to get the rest of the blue orbs in order to gain full access to the golden banana temple (only have one so far, so I'm sure the rest will be fun). Though I didn't use Squawks the parrot much, I'm happy we at least got Rambi the rhino.

Not sure where I would rank this game with the other Donkey Kong Countries mmm, but at the very least it outclasses DK 64. DKC 4 life!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.