Weapons/ammo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DamienB
a sub sonic rocket bullet

comes out slo and silent/ than becomes hypersonic with a bang

WickedDynamite
And what happens next?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WickedDynamite
And what happens next?

You make a thread that no one can figure out what to post. big grin

ADarksideJedi
It sounds like it is for or againist guns.

inimalist
the problem would be fuel source. even if we imagine the initial discharge could be silent, the bullet itself would require a second ignition source, targeting systems, etc.

the advantages of that system would be very limited, the only one I could see in increasing the conceilability of snipers or other troops, but there already exist highly effective and much less complex forms of suppressing muzzle flare or the sound of a gunshot. also, the secondary launch aspect of the bullet would seem to work against this...

of course ignoring how impressive of a feat technologically this would be

Pandemoniac
Guided bullet tech is in the works, exploring the possibilities of steering a bullet like a rocket, but without 'second phase' propulsion.
Tests have shown promising results, but the cost of a round and the supporting hardware would multiply immensly, not to mention the R&D still required. For now it is cheaper to train a sniper for years or to maintain a couple of A-10's if you want holes just where you want them

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by inimalist
the problem would be fuel source. even if we imagine the initial discharge could be silent, the bullet itself would require a second ignition source, targeting systems, etc.

the advantages of that system would be very limited, the only one I could see in increasing the conceilability of snipers or other troops, but there already exist highly effective and much less complex forms of suppressing muzzle flare or the sound of a gunshot. also, the secondary launch aspect of the bullet would seem to work against this...

With the exception of guidance it's already been done. They called it the Gyrojet, I believe.

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
With the exception of guidance it's already been done. They called it the Gyrojet, I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrojet

interesting. they do name aim as a downfall of the system, and I struggle to see how a two stage bullet without computers could be more accurate than a musket.

I guess I don't see the niche these would fill more than anything

DamienB
Originally posted by inimalist

not bad its kinda like a tracer round they ignite after it is fired

StarCraft2
my weapon of choice would be gauss rifle.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2392/2140999591_837defa182.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.