Worst movie depiction of a book

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha-7
Personally I think the worst had to be The Sum of all Fears.

jaden101
American Psycho while not bad as a black comedy was a completely pointless adaptation. it was nothing like the book. then again you couldn't make a film of the book as it is. It wouldn't get rated

ADarksideJedi
The Princess Bride and some of the Harry Potter books and Girl Inturrpted

kill7r
The Harry Potter books, easily. The books tell one of the finest stories you can find in the medium whereas the movies adapt it into an entirely mediocre story.

Blinky
I gotta say "The Neverending Story", Jesus, did they veer way off. What a good way to butcher a good book. Still like the movie, for nostalgic reasons, haha.

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by kill7r
The Harry Potter books, easily. The books tell one of the finest stories you can find in the medium whereas the movies adapt it into an entirely mediocre story.
i respectfully disagree
i think they did and excellent job adapting JK Rowling's vision of the wizarding world to the big screen and thought they were able to fit a good amount of the plot and characters into the story
you cant expect them to be able to fit a book as big as Order of the Pheonix into a two hour movie

worst adaption i would say was probably Percy Jackson as of late because they changed so much from the books but i understand why they did so, like changing Grover completely and taking a lot away from Percy's stay in Camp Half Blood plus the trip to the Underworld

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Alpha-7
Personally I think the worst had to be The Sum of all Fears.

yeah that one wasnt very good.another bad one I dont like is Christine.Before I read the book,I liked the movie but after reading the book,I dont like the movie so much anymore because it could have been so much better if they had done some of the things that were in the book.No reason that they couldnt have.

MildPossession
What's wrong with Girl Interrupted? I've yet to read the book but the film is fantastic.

Impediment
I disagree with The Princess Bride. I thought that it was faithfully adapted, but with some non-crucial subplots omitted.

Gotta agree with Jaden. American Psycho was not a very good adaptation, but only because the novel was ten times more graphic. The film would never have been released had it been faithfully adapted.

I'm gonna say, for my own entry, Coraline. I felt that the film was too bright and friendly. Also, the male friend, Wybie, was a very needless character who was not even in the book, FFS. The novel Coraline is a supremely written work of surreal fiction by Neil Gaiman, and I feel that film, while beautifully made in stunning stop motion, just did not do the book justice.

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by Impediment
I disagree with The Princess Bride. I thought that it was faithfully adapted, but with some non-crucial subplots omitted.

Gotta agree with Jaden. American Psycho was not a very good adaptation, but only because the novel was ten times more graphic. The film would never have been released had it been faithfully adapted.

I'm gonna say, for my own entry, Coraline. I felt that the film was too bright and friendly. Also, the male friend, Wybie, was a very needless character who was not even in the book, FFS. The novel Coraline is a supremely written work of surreal fiction by Neil Gaiman, and I feel that film, while beautifully made in stunning stop motion, just did not do the book justice.
ah Coraline's a good one, i almost forgot about it
i believe Tim Burton did a good job, but as you said it didnt really do the book justice

Impediment
Tim Burton didn't direct Coraline, rather the director from The Nightmare Before Christmas did.

Still, it would have been neat to see Burton's take on Coraline.

That ACDC Chick
huh, i always thought it was Burton who did Coraline mhmm

roughrider
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
huh, i always thought it was Burton who did Coraline mhmm

And Tim Burton gets virtually all the credit for The Nightmare Before Christmas, too; Henry Selick directed that as well.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
i respectfully disagree
i think they did and excellent job adapting JK Rowling's vision of the wizarding world to the big screen and thought they were able to fit a good amount of the plot and characters into the story
you cant expect them to be able to fit a book as big as Order of the Pheonix into a two hour movie

worst adaption i would say was probably Percy Jackson as of late because they changed so much from the books but i understand why they did so, like changing Grover completely and taking a lot away from Percy's stay in Camp Half Blood plus the trip to the Underworld

They did skip alot of the book out in the movies but they are really not that bad it could be worst.

MildPossession
What about Girl Interrupted?

Even though reading about Coraline on here, I haven't read the original source, I still thought it was a fantastic and dark stop motion animation.

That ACDC Chick
the book was a lot creepier to me, especially when the hand was stalking her

Impediment
The book was ten times creepier. The part where she meets Other Father in the pit was horrifying.

siriuswriter
The Time Traveler's Wife.

The movie had all of the sex but none of the heart or personality.

EPIC FAIL.

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by Impediment
The book was ten times creepier. The part where she meets Other Father in the pit was horrifying.
and when she had to crawl into the sister's web sick

Hatchet
American Psycho is by far the worst dipiction of a book. The two should not be mentioned in the same breath in my opinion.

Bouboumaster
I am a legend, hands down

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by MildPossession
What about Girl Interrupted?

Even though reading about Coraline on here, I haven't read the original source, I still thought it was a fantastic and dark stop motion animation.

I did not like how the movie was with the book.as for The book "Coraline" it was very different from the movie in so many ways but both are good to read and watch.

kill7r
Obviously nowhere near the worst, but the most overrated easily goes to The Shining imo. Not that I think Stephen King's attempt at a movie adaptation was in any way good, I can definitely see why he didn't like Stanley Kubrick's version. It really did nothing to capture the nuances and slow and steady development and really, just about everything that was great about the book (I do realise a lot of that is to do with the difference between the two mediums).

Hewhoknowsall
Percy Jackson and the Olympians the Lightning Thief the movie, while a decent movie, is VERY different from the book and quite frankly isn't nearly as good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.