Favorite Star Wars Novel?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Enyalus
Self explanatory title. What's your favorite Star Wars novel and why? Personally, I couldn't narrow it down to just one - I think I have three favorites in no particular order.

Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn comes to mind first. I love anything with Thrawn in it and if pressed, I'd say he was probably my favorite character in the entire mythos. Well written, plenty of Thrawn's brilliance, and when even the enemies are likable characters, you know you've got something good.

Revenge of the Sith by Matt Stover comes up next. It's far better than the movie, which is a plus. I'm not always thrilled by Stover's overuse of metaphor, but its easily overlooked once you get into the story. What made me like the novel enough to list it in my favorites were some of the second-person viewpoints he sticks in throughout the work, particularly the "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker" towards the end of his duel with Count Dooku, and right in the last few pages ending with "This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker...forever." Really powerful stuff to me. It made me feel sorry for Anakin, whereas in watching the movie you really didn't.

Secrets of the Jedi by Jude Watson fills out the third spot for me. I know, I know, it's for Young Adults and whatever, but hey, I'm a bit of a sap and I thought the Jedi version of Romeo and Juliet between Obi-Wan and Siri was really moving. Plus, I think pretty much everyone can look back and think about maybe a missed opportunity with someone we might have had the chance to love. I know I have. So the situation is pretty relatable.

I'd give an honorable mention to Star by Star by Troy Denning. It's a lot longer than most other Star Wars books, but there's so much going on you don't mind. The Anakin scene on Myrkr's worldship and the taking of Coruscant were huge moments in Star Wars history, and Denning describes them so well. Definitely one of his best works.

As an addendum, I'd like to say that I used the advanced search for this and found nothing - and was surprised.

Gideon
Dark Rendezvous, Revenge of the Sith, Cloak of Deception.

kill7r
Path of Destruction.

truejedi
One of: Shatterpoint

TheMagicPillow
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Shadows of the empire

RE: Blaxican
Shatterpoint, the Thrawn trilogy.

Shoes
Shadow Hunter and RoT.

ares834
Revenge of the Sith and Yoda: DR.

RotS is simply one of the best books ever and Yoda: DR's characterization of Yoda and Dooku is spot on.

Galan007
In no particular order...

Shatterpoint
RotS
NJO: The Unifying Force
Labyrinth of Evil
Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
The Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire in particular)

Lord Lucien
Crystal Star.

Liar.

Lord Lucien
You're a liar.

Seriously, though. It's the best Star Wars novel I've ever read. It's also happens to be the only Star Wars novel I've read, but I stand by my sentiment.

Hybris
Labyrinth of Evil

Still planning on reading Dark Rendezvous and RotS, for which I have high expectations!

Gideon
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Darth Sidious is at his finest here; manipulating events on a macro scale while terrifying and intimidating Dooku.
Yoda and Dooku's relationship is explored and it foreshadows the one between Obi-Wan and Anakin; Yoda is a stern but loving Master who, despite what he may say to others, cannot overcome his attachment for Dooku. Dooku, meanwhile, suffers from an Oedipal complex (simultaneously hating and loving Yoda).
Yoda's captured perfectly, similar to his first appearance in the Empire Strikes Back; he's hilarious, withdrawn, mysterious, and even scary when the plot demands it
The side characters, including Whie, Scout, Asajj Ventress, and Solis are all three dimensional and enjoyable.

Revenge of the Sith

It adds further dimensions to Anakin's fall, something that the movie leaves out.
General Grievous is upgraded to badass status; he's fearless, capable, and very dangerous (again, something the movie leaves out).
Palpatine's own badassery is augmented as we see that he's more than an aspiring tyrant and politician, but quite possibly a manifestation of the dark side itself.
The book exposes the flaws and corruption that plagues both the Republic and the Jedi; it shows how they were doomed from the start.

Cloak of Deception

Easily the best political thriller in the mythos; Palpatine manipulates and one-ups everyone: Senators, Valorum, the Trade Federation, the Nebula Front, and the Jedi.
Luceno's narrative deliberately avoids any particularly "bad" thoughts that would indicate that Palpatine is Sidious, but if you look hard enough, you see that the links and connections are there and in abundance.

The Unifying Force

Luke's outrageously badass invasion of Shimrra's citadel.
Nom Anor. 'Nuff said.
Nas Choka. 'Nuff said.
Luke displaying some intelligence by somewhat refuting Vergere's Force philosophy.

Death Star

Silly premise, but the novel is carried by the strength of the ensemble side characters, though Tarkin and Vader (and their interactions) are spectacular.

Labyrinth of Evil

One of the best EU premises, the hunt for Darth Sidious, though I was bored with Anakin and Obi-Wan's travels. Of much moar interest was Windu's manhunt and General Grievous's invasion of Coruscant.

Dark Lord: the Rise of Darth Vader

Tarkin. 'Nuff said.
Vader's turn from victim to villain in the badass invasion of Kashyyyk, where -- with newfound confidence and training -- he slaughters all resistance.

Shadow Hunter

Darth Maul. 'Nuff said.
The droid whose name eludes me. I-Qsomething-or-another.

Shoes
No Shatterpoint?

truejedi
even more better was the outbound flight. That was pretty sweet. Ok, it was only sweet because i read a book a LONG time ago about what happened when the Chiss FOUND outbound flight, and nothing was explained. Anyone remember what that was?

Then along came outbound flight and explained it all, like 10 years later or something. It was like another small darth vader moment for me. So, brilliant.

SWFan4Life

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Gideon
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Darth Sidious is at his finest here; manipulating events on a macro scale while terrifying and intimidating Dooku.
Yoda and Dooku's relationship is explored and it foreshadows the one between Obi-Wan and Anakin; Yoda is a stern but loving Master who, despite what he may say to others, cannot overcome his attachment for Dooku. Dooku, meanwhile, suffers from an Oedipal complex (simultaneously hating and loving Yoda).
Yoda's captured perfectly, similar to his first appearance in the Empire Strikes Back; he's hilarious, withdrawn, mysterious, and even scary when the plot demands it
The side characters, including Whie, Scout, Asajj Ventress, and Solis are all three dimensional and enjoyable.

Revenge of the Sith

It adds further dimensions to Anakin's fall, something that the movie leaves out.
General Grievous is upgraded to badass status; he's fearless, capable, and very dangerous (again, something the movie leaves out).
Palpatine's own badassery is augmented as we see that he's more than an aspiring tyrant and politician, but quite possibly a manifestation of the dark side itself.
The book exposes the flaws and corruption that plagues both the Republic and the Jedi; it shows how they were doomed from the start.

I especially liked how the RotS novel gave a good reason why they didn't make Anakin a Master (something the movie sorely lacked). I also like how when Anakin goes to tell Mace about Palpatine's true identity Mace actually shows concern for him and acts like a decent guy.

Originally posted by Gideon
The Unifying Force

Luke's outrageously badass invasion of Shimrra's citadel.
Nom Anor. 'Nuff said.
Nas Choka. 'Nuff said.
Luke displaying some intelligence by somewhat refuting Vergere's Force philosophy.

I haven't read that one. How did Luke refute it?

SWFan4Life
Originally posted by chilled monkey
I especially liked how the RotS novel gave a good reason why they didn't make Anakin a Master (something the movie sorely lacked). I also like how when Anakin goes to tell Mace about Palpatine's true identity Mace actually shows concern for him and acts like a decent guy.

I haven't read that one. How did Luke refute it?

Really shouldn't spoil this for you, but I believe Luke's performance in the invasion of Shimrra's citadel and his use of Force power did so (Gideon, correct me if this isn't what you meant).

Enyalus
Luke uses basic Socrates vs. Sophist arguments in it, IIRC. Just like Jacen tried to do during Traitor.

john allerdyce

**** you guys, Jedi Trial is the best EU book by far.

ares834
Originally posted by john allerdyce
this sounds very interesting. can u post the entire excerpt please?
"I will never be safe," Yoda said. He turned away from Dooku, a shapeless bundle under a battered, acid-eaten cloak. "The universe is large and cold and very dark: that is the truth. What I love, taken from me will be, late or soon: and no power is there, dark or light, that can save me. Murdered, Jai Maruk was when the looking after him I had; and Maks Leem; and all the many, many more Jedi I have lost. My family they were."

"So be angry about that!" Dooku said. "Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing at the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than to turn your cheek. Feel, Yoda! I can feel the darkness rising in you. Here, in this place, be honest for once and feel the truth about yourself."

At this moment Yoda turned, and Dooku gasped. Whether it was the play of the holomonitors, beaming their views of bleak space and distant battles, or some other trick of the light, Yoda's face was deeply hidden in the shadows, mottled black and blue, so that for one terrible instant he looked exactly like Darth Sidious. Or rather, it was Yoda as he might have been, or could yet become: a Yoda gone rotten, a Yoda whose awesome powers had been utterly unleashed by his connection to the dark side. In a flash Dooku saw how foolish he had been, trying to urge the old Master to the dark side. If Yoda ever turned that way, Sidious himself would be annihilated. The universe had yet to comprehend the kind of evil that a Jedi Knight of nearly nine hundred years could wield. From the shadows, Yoda spoke.

"Disappointment like I not, apprentice," he snarled, in a wicked, wicked voice. "Give me my rose!"

I think he is talking about this
"Really, sometimes it seemed to Dooku that Darth Sidious's plots were needlessly complex. It was beginning to look very much as if Dooku could simply win: march his battle droids into Coruscant and claim the Republic outright. Not that he would ever question the power of Darth Sidious. The dark secrets at his command."

Before people lose their minds, take note of the fact that that is utterly 3rd person, Dooku's perception.

truejedi
Dooku was shit his pants terrified of Sidious though, so to say that about yoda is pretty high praise.

SWFan4Life
Originally posted by Enyalus
Luke uses basic Socrates vs. Sophist arguments in it, IIRC. Just like Jacen tried to do during Traitor.

Your explanation sounds better. I thought the invasion of Shimrra's citadel was the effective refutation (i.e. Luke's actions in the citadel reflect the realization of his own convictions and belief in the Force, which were different than Vergere's)

SWFan4Life
Originally posted by ares834
"I will never be safe," Yoda said. He turned away from Dooku, a shapeless bundle under a battered, acid-eaten cloak. "The universe is large and cold and very dark: that is the truth. What I love, taken from me will be, late or soon: and no power is there, dark or light, that can save me. Murdered, Jai Maruk was when the looking after him I had; and Maks Leem; and all the many, many more Jedi I have lost. My family they were."

"So be angry about that!" Dooku said. "Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing at the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than to turn your cheek. Feel, Yoda! I can feel the darkness rising in you. Here, in this place, be honest for once and feel the truth about yourself."

At this moment Yoda turned, and Dooku gasped. Whether it was the play of the holomonitors, beaming their views of bleak space and distant battles, or some other trick of the light, Yoda's face was deeply hidden in the shadows, mottled black and blue, so that for one terrible instant he looked exactly like Darth Sidious. Or rather, it was Yoda as he might have been, or could yet become: a Yoda gone rotten, a Yoda whose awesome powers had been utterly unleashed by his connection to the dark side. In a flash Dooku saw how foolish he had been, trying to urge the old Master to the dark side. If Yoda ever turned that way, Sidious himself would be annihilated. The universe had yet to comprehend the kind of evil that a Jedi Knight of nearly nine hundred years could wield. From the shadows, Yoda spoke.

"Disappointment like I not, apprentice," he snarled, in a wicked, wicked voice. "Give me my rose!"

That's exactly it! Thanks Ares. This was my absolute favorite scene in the entire book.

SWFan4Life
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Before people lose their minds, take note of the fact that that is utterly 3rd person, Dooku's perception.

Yep. But it is still an interesting view of Yoda and Sidious.

Galan007
Originally posted by ares834

I think he is talking about this
"Really, sometimes it seemed to Dooku that Darth Sidious's plots were needlessly complex. It was beginning to look very much as if Dooku could simply win: march his battle droids into Coruscant and claim the Republic outright. Not that he would ever question the power of Darth Sidious. The dark secrets at his command." I'm going to have to read Dark Rendezvous again. I forgot about it's sheer badassery. thumb up

Gideon
Ya, Dark Rendezvous is excellent.

As far as Dooku's inferiority to Palpatine goes, the quote that has been provided is but one. One of the quotes that follows the aforementioned section takes place when Dooku is before Darth Sidious and the line goes something along the lines of, "The faint condescension with which he had been thinking of his Master spilled from him like blood from a vein," which is to say that he nearly crapped his royal trousers. Another one mentions how Dooku is in superb physical shape and whatnot, but "only in the presence of Darth Sidious did Dooku feel his years" and how his bones were "lined with tension" in such encounters.

SWFan4Life
Millenium Falcon - Follows the journey of the Millenium Falcon from its creation during the Republic to the post-LOTF era. Provides a pretty decent story and bridge from the times of the Old Republic to the Galactic Alliance period.

Derelite
definitely shatterpoint, that book was amazing, im not even a big mace windu fan, but that book was phenomenal. i also liked the thrawn trilogy

kodiak430
agreed. those books were awesome. i also like the darth bane books big grin

SonOfTheSuns
The Republic Commando series. It really defines the Mandalorian culture that Boba and Jango made interesting. It also explains the trials and tribulations of the clones, and some of the Jedi Generals.

Copaani mirshmure'cye, vod? - Are you looking for a smack in the face, mate?

Enyalus
The one cool thing that skank Traviss did before she left the SW Universe was create Mando'a. I agree.

kodiak430
lol

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Enyalus
The one cool thing that skank Traviss did before she left the SW Universe was create Mando'a.

Not so. She did some great stuff with Callista.

Mr. Anderson014
I would just like to say, you can get A LOT of starwars books real cheap on amazon. i bought Dark Rendezvous, Rise of Darth Vader, and Shatterpoint all for like $0.43.

roughrider
I have more fun reading The Courtship Of Princess Leia than any other Star Wars book. Han & Leia's bantering chemistry was at it's best. And we got the see the complicated circumstances of how they finally married.

Shadows Of The Empire was more useful for filling in gaps between TESB and ROTJ, but it was the first book I'd read that really explored Darth Vader's point of view. Every page with him I loved, seeing how he viewed things; insight we hadn't really gotten yet, before the prequels.

Pwned
The Thrawn books, Zahn is a very good author, if he wrote it, I like it XD

Thrawn is my favorite in the mythos apart from Bane and Yoda

Hes just an absorbing character, I was sad when he died...... =-(

Admiral Salar
The Heir to the empire trio is my favirote.

Black bolt z
Anything involving Thrawn.

Shey Tapani
Knight Errant.

chilled monkey
My favourite is FOTJ: Conviction.

Korto Vos
Dark Rendezvous and Shatterpoint. I liked the Clone Wars.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.