Teen Girl Punched in Face for Jaywalking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rogue Jedi
FxxYj1ruYDA

Well, as usual, we cannot SEE what escalated this into violence. Pretty convenient, eh?

I'm not saying the cop is justified in hitting her, but why were the ladies resisting so?

Also, the lady that got hit, technically she attacked the officer.

Funny how words are edited out at 1:25.

Thoughts?

RE: Blaxican
A man shouldn't have to repeat himself.

Rogue Jedi
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaa what a tard.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2012154761_rosenthal19m.html

BackFire
These cops sure are making it easy.

Rogue Jedi
Dumb *****, I woulda tasered her ass.

Mindset
I would have beat that cops ass.

Gone to jail.

Come out and become a rich rapper.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Mindset
I would have beat that cops ass.

Gone to jail.

Gotten cornholed by Luther and Tyrone.

Come out with a cleft *******.

Yeah?

Scythe
It's how it's done.

Mindset
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Yeah? Leave your fantasies out of my reality.

Rogue Jedi
Leave your fantasies out of my reality.

K. Don't drop the soap.

Mindset
I have rigorously trained my anus muscles to defend against any kind of invasive attacks.

lord xyz
Should have stayed in the kitchen.

dadudemon
Here's a better video that shows the fatass interfering long before the punching scene. It also shows the lady in black resisting arrest from the very beginning.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81014723/

This is a case where the cop was correct, for once.

A crowd gathered when the cop was trying to arrest the skinny b*tch but she was resisting.

Her friend, the fatass, interfered and tried oh so very delicately, to get the cop off of the friend from getting arrested. That's already Obstruction of a Public Servant and battery. laughing

Also, because the crowd had gathered and no backup had arrived, it was in the officer's best interests to get the girl in handcuffs as soon as possible. If the cop had fallen down or got pushed down, his life being in danger increases greatly, specifically because the crowd was there.

His very swift reaction to another person laying hands on him quickly diffused a potentially bad situation and it let the crowd know that this is serious and to probably not attempt to interfere.

The officer had 3 choices:

1. Use physical force.
2. Use his taser (not a very good option as that would take too long)
3. User his gun (not a very good option as that would take too long and would be more likely to cause death.)

I'm glad he went with option 1.

Did you guys know that that particular unit undergoes boxing training and crowd control measures to avoid getting hurt? Now why would they have training like that?

Oh, right:

Apparently, there was similar situation where an officer fell to the ground during the arrest and the crowd descended upon him, beating him to the point of brain damage. He now has permanent damage. So, they now train for swift arrests and crowd control to avoid situations like that.

Some say it was too much force. I tend to agree, but only a little. What I don't understand is why the officer had such a difficult time arresting the young lady. She's not one of those steroid taking bodybuilder types: looks like he needs training on how to make arrests to those that resist.

Juk3n
Put your hands on an officer - get KTFO, it's how it should be, id have tazered them both personally, resisting arrest and then claiming police brutality because you're black is about as scumbag low as one could get.
Seriously.

The Nuul
Tasers are not good, people die in Canada when security/cops use them. I rather get shot than be tasered.

Liberator
COPS ARE HERE TO SERVE AND PROTECT. AND IF THAT MEANS IF THEY GOTTA PUNCH TEENAGE GIRLS IN THE FACE FOR JAYWALKING THAN SO BE IT.

So whats next? Tasered for forgetting a directional light?

Adam_PoE
Do us all a favor and shoot them in the face next time.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Liberator
So whats next? Tasered for forgetting a directional light?

I'm pretty sure that if you body slammed a cop for pointing out that you forgot to turn signal nobody would have any sympathy when you got tasered.

Mindship
I heard on the news this morning that the girl who got punched has since apologized for attacking the cop. The cop's actions are to be reviewed.

WickedDynamite
FxxYj1ruYDA

Well, as usual, we cannot SEE what escalated this into violence. Pretty convenient, eh?

I'm not saying the cop is justified in hitting her, but why were the ladies resisting so?

Also, the lady that got hit, technically she attacked the officer.

Funny how words are edited out at 1:25.

Thoughts?

Support Your Local Police Department!

ADarksideJedi
With all the stuff about cops these days who knows who to believe.I am sure the girl was giving him a hard time or maybe she has been arrested before and drunk.
It could be anything.So I am not taking sides.

Peach
The cop was trying to arrest the first girl for jaywalking. Which is a crime that gets a warning, maybe a ticket at best. Not an arrest. He had been holding her down on his car by her neck. The second girl tried to pull him off her friend. Dumb move, yeah, but someone who's already frightened doesn't exactly think straight. That's when she got punched in the face.

The cops had been using excessive force from the very start. He was hardly 'attacked' by the second, and there is absolutely no way that reacting by punching her in the face was appropriate. Damn straight his actions should be under review.

Also, the girl that got punched was not the one who they were attempting to arrest for jaywalking.

Bicnarok
Yep she definetly deserved it, how DARE she walk over the road like that!.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Peach
The cop was trying to arrest the first girl for jaywalking. Which is a crime that gets a warning, maybe a ticket at best. Not an arrest. He had been holding her down on his car by her neck. The second girl tried to pull him off her friend. Dumb move, yeah, but someone who's already frightened doesn't exactly think straight. That's when she got punched in the face.

The cops had been using excessive force from the very start. He was hardly 'attacked' by the second, and there is absolutely no way that reacting by punching her in the face was appropriate. Damn straight his actions should be under review.

Also, the girl that got punched was not the one who they were attempting to arrest for jaywalking. He stopped her for jaywalking. She resisted. This is when he tried to arrest her. Resisting arrest.

The second pushed him backwards, that's assault.

Question...If it were you, and the cop merely wanted to ticket you for jaywalking, what would you have done? Cooperate, or act a fool like she did?

You can't "stop" someone from Jaywalking dude. You tell them not to do it and/or write them a ticket. You can not physically restrain or arrest someone purely because they were Jaywalking.

The Nuul
He stopped her for jaywalking. She resisted. This is when he tried to arrest her. Resisting arrest.

The second pushed him backwards, that's assault.

Question...If it were you, and the cop merely wanted to ticket you for jaywalking, what would you have done? Cooperate, or act a fool like she did?

thumb up

However she needs a ticket for jaywalking and not a arrest. The arrest should come after for her dumb actions.

Kinneary
Isn't that what happened? When he tried to stop her she resisted, and that's when he began to make the arrest?

If you lay your hand on a cop, you get punched in the face. Hell, what if that fat girl had had a knife and decided to pull it while struggling with him? You can't take those kinds of chances. The minute she touches him, I think he has every right to punch her.

I think the more important question is: The video starts with him having his hands on her. Why is his hands on her at all? I am assuming that he made initial contact, as you need to be arrested to resist arrest, so why is he putting his hands on her to begin with?

The Nuul
Arrested for what? not wanting a ticket...

Bicnarok
Daft that Jaywalking is a crime anyway.

jinXed by JaNx
obey the law or get a fist in the face. I thought this was common sense

Yeah, you'd think people would have learned by now.

The Nuul
We better not download anything or else we might get a kick to the face!

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
You can't "stop" someone from Jaywalking dude. You tell them not to do it and/or write them a ticket. You can not physically restrain or arrest someone purely because they were Jaywalking.

And obviously the ***** wasn't having any of it. When a cop detains you for any reason you are, by law, obliged to obey his conmands.

The cop was trying to ticket her obviously and she went all ghetto, tried to leave, acted like a child. then got spanked.

Anyone who argues in favor of the girl is a ****ing idiot.

Bardock42
And obviously the ***** wasn't having any of it. When a cop detains you for any reason you are, by law, obliged to obey his conmands.

I don't know if that's actually true. Is it?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't know if that's actually true. Is it? What part, the last? If a cop stops/detains someone for any reason (traffic ticket, suspicion of criminal activities, etc) and said person tells the cop to **** off, what's the cop supposed to do? Shrug and walk away? No. They are keepers of the peace, it is their right to stop citizens when citizens break the law or are suspected of having committed a crime.

Now, if a person tells the cop to **** off, then that's their ass. The cop can then arrest them. If they still resist, that's resisting arrest. If they put their hands on the officer, that's assault.

It's not rocket science, dude.

The Nuul
Everyone should know that once cops are in a bad mood because they havent met their arrest quotas or the city didnt make enough off of tickets they will always find some little shit to get you with. One should always becareful even with the petty crimes.

A police officer can't put their hands on you for just any reason. They can attempt to stop you, or talk to you. But they can't just walk up to you and touch you for shits and giggles.

Rogue Jedi
A police officer can't put their hands on you for just any reason. They can attempt to stop you, or talk to you. But they can't just walk up to you and touch you for shits and giggles.

You and I are cop partners. I am trying to ticket a black woman for jaywalking. She resists, she and her friend gets physical. What do you do? What am I to do?

The Nuul
She shouldnt be arrest for jaywalking. Ticketed, sure. Its classified around an class 4 misdemeanor. BUT this depends on what state because different states have different laws. One could be arrested for it.

You and I are cop partners. I am trying to ticket a black woman for jaywalking. She resists, she and her friend gets physical. What do you do? What am I to do?

How do you "resist" a ticket?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by The Nuul
She cannot be arrest for Jaywalking. Ticketed, sure. And when she tries to walk away, and her friend pushes the cop? What then? Should the cop just drive away with his tail between his legs?

Rogue Jedi
How do you "resist" a ticket? By not cooperating. By trying to walk away when the cop is trying to ticket you.

BackFire

Well since she's black, need to sock her in the face.

Glad that's all sorted out.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by BackFire
Well since she's black, need to sock her in the face.

Glad that's all sorted out.

Yeah, and:

Previously, Rosenthal was charged in November with second-degree robbery. According to prosecutors, she punched a 15-year-old boy in the face while she and a group of youths were on their way to a rave in South Seattle Aug. 28. The boy told police that his cellphone and $20 were stolen in the incident.

A 14-year-old boy told police that he was punched in the head and his hat was stolen.

And:

In April 2008, Rosenthal was charged with third-degree theft after she allegedly stole a minivan in Tukwila, prosecutors said. Kent police said she used a screwdriver to break the ignition and start the vehicle.

Yeah..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

By not cooperating. By trying to walk away when the cop is trying to ticket you.

That isn't an arrestable offense. Police can't force a ticket on you, because the ticket that is being given to you is for your convenience. When cops write tickets they keep a copy of it for themselves and give you a copy, so even if you lose your copy or don't receive one the Gov't is still aware of your crime. So there's no reason to force a ticket on to someone. If you having a copy of a ticket was really important then the police wouldn't leave them on your dashboard to get blown away in the wind. It's purely for your convenience.

Point being, if a Cop writes you a ticket doesn't matter if you get a copy of it or not, so it doesn't matter if you just walk away. It's not the cops business to ensure you get the ticket.

EDIT- The exception to that would be if the cop isn't able to get your information to write the ticket in the first place, in which case if you withhold that info then they have the right to arrest you.

Bardock42
RJ, can you find an article where you think a cop was wrong and you don't side with them?

Hi Bardock.

The Nuul
And when she tries to walk away, and her friend pushes the cop? What then? Should the cop just drive away with his tail between his legs?

WTF? Dude there are two different cases here. One is the girl who said F you cop and you cannot charge me for jaywalking and the other where her friend assaulted the cop.

1. Gets ticketed or maybe arrested.

2. Her friend gets charged with assault.

Thats it.

The Nuul
Wait, I just checked.

Depends on what stated that determine if one gets a fine or not.

Either way one cannot be arrest for it. In NYC they wouldnt even bother with a jaywalker even though its prohibited.

Bardock42
Hi Bardock.

Hey, how's quitting KMC forever going?

Rogue Jedi
That isn't an arrestable offense. Police can't force a ticket on you, because the ticket that is being given to you is for your convenience. When cops write tickets they keep a copy of it for themselves and give you a copy, so even if you lose your copy or don't receive one the Gov't is still aware of your crime. So there's no reason to force a ticket on to someone. If you having a copy of a ticket was really important then the police wouldn't leave them on your dashboard to get blown away in the wind. It's purely for your convenience.

Point being, if a Cop writes you a ticket doesn't matter if you get a copy of it or not, so it doesn't matter if you just walk away. It's not the cops business to ensure you get the ticket.

EDIT- The exception to that would be if the cop isn't able to get your information to write the ticket in the first place, in which case if you withhold that info then they have the right to arrest you.

But you see, by walking away, you are escalating the situation. Why not let the cop ticket you and fight it in court?

As for your EDIT: It's likely that she never gave him her ID, that she acted a fool from the get go.

Rogue Jedi
RJ, can you find an article where you think a cop was wrong and you don't side with them? Rodney King.

Rogue Jedi
WTF? Dude there are two different cases here. One is the girl who said F you cop and you cannot charge me for jaywalking and the other where her friend assaulted the cop.

1. Gets ticketed or maybe arrested.

2. Her friend gets charged with assault.

Thats it.

She committed a crime. The cop was trying to ticket her for said crime. Let's say a cop stops someone for a moving violation. The cop gets out of his car and walks up to their car. The suspect takes off. What then?

This is hilarious, the cop was completely within his rights hitting her and you guys are still defending the girl. Would you rather he taze her or shoot her?

The Nuul
She committed a crime. The cop was trying to ticket her for said crime. Let's say a cop stops someone for a moving violation. The cop gets out of his car and walks up to their car. The suspect takes off. What then?

This is hilarious, the cop was completely within his rights hitting her and you guys are still defending the girl. Would you rather he taze her or shoot her?

Nothing, the cop cannot touch her. BUT IT DEPENDS ON WHAT STATE.

What you cannot read?

I said her friend gets charged with assault.

Rogue Jedi
Nothing, the cop cannot touch her.

What you cannot read?

I said her friend gets charged with assault.

So if a cop stops someone for speeding, then the person flees, it's all good? What the weather like in Narnia?

BackFire

You commit the logical fallacy of false dilemma. Those are not the only options. He could have pushed her, he could have held her back, and so on.

I don't think the girl is innocent here at all, it was stupid of her to lay her hands on the cop like that. However, the cop overreacted. Punching her in the head without any kind of warning was not the right action to take in this specific situation, I feel. Your theoretical "what if's" actually have nothing to do with what happened here.

The Nuul
So if a cop stops someone for speeding, then the person flees, it's all good? What the weather like in Narnia?

Forget it......facepalm

I aint bothering with you, AC Jr.

Rogue Jedi
Forget it......facepalm

I aint bother with you, new AC.

Just asking you a question. So if a cop stops someone for speeding, then the person flees, what then?

Rogue Jedi
You commit the logical fallacy of false dilemma. Those are not the only options. He could have pushed her, he could have held her back, and so on.

I don't think the girl is innocent here at all, it was stupid of her to lay her hands on the cop like that. However, the cop overreacted. Punching her in the head without any kind of warning was not the right action to take in this specific situation, I feel. Your theoretical "what if's" actually have nothing to do with what happened here.

Ok, but he chose to punch her. Taking her down by force, he is risking bodily injury to her.

What if's are everything here. Cops have to deal with shit like this:

GX5kwVc9IOk

And this

blZgg00qO0A

And this:

X14ID3zybSk

Yeah, I know, the guys in the vids are crazy drugged up assholes, but how was the Seattle cop to know that the lady didn't have a gun in her purse?

He found himself in a pressure situation, he acted, that's it.

Mindset
If she had a gun in her purse and was willing to use it, do you think escalating the situation by punching her in the face was smart?

Rogue Jedi
If she had a gun in her purse and was willing to use it, do you think escalating the situation by punching her in the face was smart?

Better that than waiting for her to draw the fictional gun, ya think?

Or hey, cops could just let people who carry guns on them get away with anything they want.

Questions: Was the girl wrong for not cooperating with the officer? Was the second girl wrong for assaulting the officer?

Mindset
Better that than waiting for her to draw the fictional gun, ya think?

Or hey, cops could just let people who carry guns on them get away with anything they want.

Questions: Was the girl wrong for not cooperating with the officer? Was the second girl wrong for assaulting the officer? So he had to choose between punching her in the face or waiting for her to draw a gun?

Yes, I guess they could.

Yes, and he was wrong for punching her in the face.

Rogue Jedi
So he had to choose between punching her in the face or waiting for her to draw a gun?

Yes, I guess they could.

Yes, and he was wrong for punching her in the face.

OK.

He had to defuse the situation as quickly as possible. He chose to punch her. Not what I would have done, but he did what he did, and he was well within his rights doing so.

Nice, let the outlaws run shit then?

No he most certainly was not. He was assaulted and fought back. What if the cop had been a woman and the suspect a man?

BackFire
Ok, but he chose to punch her. Taking her down by force, he is risking bodily injury to her.

What if's are everything here. Cops have to deal with shit like this:

GX5kwVc9IOk

And this

blZgg00qO0A

And this:

X14ID3zybSk

Yeah, I know, the guys in the vids are crazy drugged up assholes, but how was the Seattle cop to know that the lady didn't have a gun in her purse?

He found himself in a pressure situation, he acted, that's it.

No, the what if's you are presenting have no bearing on what was happening. You are talking about high speed chases and driving away from a speeding ticket when nothing of the sort happened here. These are not valid or reasonable comparisons you are making.

And punching someone and then ignoring them isn't going to stop them from pulling a gun. If she had a gun she still had ample time to use it after being punched. It seems he just wanted to get her away from him, so pushing would have done that just as well as punching.

Juk3n
A police officer can't put their hands on you for just any reason. They can attempt to stop you, or talk to you

So the girl doesn't wan a ticket, and refuses to stop and hand over her ID, and just keep walking how is the police officer supposed to give the caution? OBVIOUSLY if she's ignoring the cop , he has to physically restrain her in order to serve her with the ticket doesnt he?

Is this such a hard concept to grasp? i mean really?

Peach
No, he wasn't. All he did was escalate the situation by retaliating with excessive force. Punching someone in the face for attempting to push you is not an appropriate reaction, ever.

Rogue Jedi
No, the what if's you are presenting have no bearing on what was happening. You are talking about high speed chases and driving away from a speeding ticket when nothing of the sort happened here. These are not valid or reasonable comparisons you are making.

And punching someone and then ignoring them isn't going to stop them from pulling a gun. If she had a gun she still had ample time to use it after being punched. It seems he just wanted to get her away from him, so pushing would have done that just as well as punching.

I see, so it's more like this then:

lENpsFyUNOc&feature=related

Punching, pushing, whatever, she fought the law and the law won. You do NOT put your hands on a police officer, not ever, not if all they are trying to do is detain you.

Rogue Jedi
No, he wasn't. All he did was escalate the situation by retaliating with excessive force. Punching someone in the face for attempting to push you is not an appropriate reaction, ever. What would you have done if you were the cop?

Juk3n
She would have just let the two girls walk away, authority slapped back down infront of a crowd, thequestion is WHAT THE HELL ELSE could he have done? He either uses physical force to restrain a woman who DOES NOT want to be restrained - whilst trying not to physically imjure her - which you can bet your ass is damn hard to do. OR letthem go and 'ask them to stop ' which OBVIOUSLY would not work. This is such a female response that the male was being overly aggressive.

BackFire
I see, so it's more like this then:

lENpsFyUNOc&feature=related

Punching, pushing, whatever, she fought the law and the law won. You do NOT put your hands on a police officer, not ever, not if all they are trying to do is detain you.

No it was nothing like that, because there was no gun involved in the situation and the people being arrested were not hidden from view in a car. And again, punching someone in the face and then promptly ignoring them is not going to somehow magically disarm them. If anything it's going to provoke them into using said weapon. He acted recklessly and just put himself in more danger acting that way.

Peach
What would you have done if you were the cop?

Well, for starters, I probably wouldn't have decided to try and arrest a girl for jaywalking, and then held the girl down by her neck and caused the other to get freaked out and try to push at me.

And there are a lot of ways that it could have been handled better. Simply shoving her off, or holding her arms, calling for a partner...something simple - and non-violent - would have more than sufficed. Punching her in the face should never have crossed the cop's mind. Cops are supposed to defuse the situation, not escalate it.

Originally posted by Juk3n
She would have just let the two girls walk away, authority slapped back down infront of a crowd, thequestion is WHAT THE HELL ELSE could he have done? He either uses physical force to restrain a woman who DOES NOT want to be restrained - whilst trying not to physically imjure her - which you can bet your ass is damn hard to do. OR letthem go and 'ask them to stop ' which OBVIOUSLY would not work. This is such a female response that the male was being overly aggressive.

It is not hard at all to restrain someone without punching them in the head.

Sexist comments like that are not called for. Most people think that the way the cop acted was out of line, because it was.

Rogue Jedi
Well, for starters, I probably wouldn't have decided to try and arrest a girl for jaywalking, and then held the girl down by her neck and caused the other to get freaked out and try to push at me.

And there are a lot of ways that it could have been handled better. Simply shoving her off, or holding her arms, calling for a partner...something simple - and non-violent - would have more than sufficed. Punching her in the face should never have crossed the cop's mind. Cops are supposed to defuse the situation, not escalate it.

You really think he set out to arrest her right away? You think he grabbed her and got physical with her right off the bat?

I ask again. What if the cop was a woman and the jaywalker a man? What then?

Juk3n

you saw him shove the friend off, she came back multiple times, holding her arms AND the arms of the arrestie aswell? lolwut? He had no partner.

So please for the sake of my limited intellect, i'll give you a situation and someone, ANYONE put yourself in the cops place and tell me how to get the arrest.

1. Ypu stop a girl for a petty crime
2. She does not stop and refuses to hand over ID and starts to walk away.
3. You grab her by the arm and she pushes you off and continues to walk away.
4...?

You HAVE to get the arrest, what do you do. *stipulations If you touch the girl again her friend will help in trying to release her from yor grip both grabbing you atnd her friend at the same time. WELL?

Juk3n

It is not hard at all to restrain someone

with ANOTHER fully grown heavy set woman physically interferring? Are you quite sane?

Could you explain the logistics of that to me? getting the cuffs on one person with another person fighting against you? WITHOUT getting physical with either of them? Lolwut?

The Nuul
The cop could have felt threaten because there was of civillains around him. One thing with most cops is that are ready to go if felt threaten.

This cop handled things just fine but arresting the first girl which is not called for, maybe.

BackFire
you saw him shove the friend off, she came back multiple times, holding her arms AND the arms of the arrestie aswell? lolwut? He had no partner.

So please for the sake of my limited intellect, i'll give you a situation and someone, ANYONE put yourself in the cops place and tell me how to get the arrest.

1. Ypu stop a girl for a petty crime
2. She does not stop and refuses to hand over ID and starts to walk away.
3. You grab her by the arm and she pushes you off and continues to walk away.
4...?

You HAVE to get the arrest, what do you do. *stipulations If you touch the girl again her friend will help in trying to release her from yor grip both grabbing you atnd her friend at the same time. WELL?

What's with you and RJ just making up situations that have nothing to do with what actually happened. And worse, making up stipulations like it's some game show or something. Good lord.

Juk3n
What's with you and RJ just making up situations that have nothing to do with what actually happened. And worse, making up stipulations like it's some game show or something. Good lord.

thats exactly what happened , did you watch the video? OBVIOUSLY he wanted to caution the girl and she refused to stop..why ELSE would he have grabbed her in the first place?

Rogue Jedi
No it was nothing like that, because there was no gun involved in the situation and the people being arrested were not hidden from view in a car. And again, punching someone in the face and then promptly ignoring them is not going to somehow magically disarm them. If anything it's going to provoke them into using said weapon. He acted recklessly and just put himself in more danger acting that way.

In the vid, the cops are at the car talking to the guys inside, then BLAM BLAM BLAM.

This situation could have very well been the same.

I'll say this. I don't think the officer used excessive force. I do believe he used very ineffective force.

Me? I would have forced her to the ground and cuffed her. There is just as much room for bodily injury to her, perhaps even more, but it doesn't look as bad.

Peach
You really think he set out to arrest her right away? You think he grabbed her and got physical with her right off the bat?

I ask again. What if the cop was a woman and the jaywalker a man? What then?

Actually, if you bother to actually read anything about this case, that is exactly what happened. The first girl did not step over to the police car immediately when asked, and the cop dragged her over - twice - and was holding her down by her neck.

Also, probably nothing at all, because I've never once heard of someone getting even a warning of the "crosswalk is over there" sort for jaywalking.

Rogue Jedi
What's with you and RJ just making up situations that have nothing to do with what actually happened. And worse, making up stipulations like it's some game show or something. Good lord. Because we are putting ourselves in the shoes of the arresting officer.

BackFire
thats exactly what happened , did you watch the video? OBVIOUSLY he wanted to caution the girl and she refused to stop..why ELSE would he have grabbed her in the first place?

So it's okay to assume blind negatives about the girl but we should not assume negatives about the cop.

You assume she refused to show her ID. You don't know that. Perhaps she did, or perhaps the cop is just as *******. Or perhaps it was something else entirely. All you can go on is what is seen in the video, and from what I see punching the girl was not necessary or smart.

Because we are putting ourselves in the shoes of the arresting officer.

You may think that, but you aren't. You're putting yourself in completely different situations that would warrant a strong physical reaction. And you are implying that if you don't think that the cop was correct for punching the girl, then you are in favor of criminal anarchy.

Peach
Because we are putting ourselves in the shoes of the arresting officer.

Ahhh, the good old "Well this is what I'D do" thing.

Guess what, you haven't got a damn clue what you'd do. It's very easy to talk about what you'd do in some sort of situation like that from your comfy house. It's also generally very different from what would actually happen in reality.

Rogue Jedi
Actually, if you bother to actually read anything about this case, that is exactly what happened. The first girl did not step over to the police car immediately when asked, and the cop dragged her over - twice - and was holding her down by her neck.

Also, probably nothing at all, because I've never once heard of someone getting even a warning of the "crosswalk is over there" sort for jaywalking. Oh but I have:

Walsh had attempted to stop a 19-year-old friend of Rosenthal's, Marilyn Ellen Levias, for jaywalking, when Rosenthal intervened.

In a clash caught on videotape, Rosenthal shoved Walsh, who responded by punching her in the face.

Mhm....It's not like he was "HEY COME HERE YOU STUPID BLACK ***** MWAHAHAHAAHAAA" and went Rodney King on her.

Also, this:

Ms. Rosenthal and Officer Walsh have been in every major media report in the country since their Monday confrontation. At my request, the two met today just to see if we could calm down a growing volatile situation. This is the first steps toward reconciliation and healing," said James Kelly, president and CEO of the Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle.

According to Kelly, Rosenthal wanted to apologize directly to the officer and Walsh was accepting of her apology.

You think if the girl had a leg to stand on, she would have apologized? No. She would have gotten a shark of an attorney and sued the city.

Rogue Jedi
Ahhh, the good old "Well this is what I'D do" thing.

Guess what, you haven't got a damn clue what you'd do. It's very easy to talk about what you'd do in some sort of situation like that from your comfy house. It's also generally very different from what would actually happen in reality. Nah you're right, I woulda KO'd her ass.

Rogue Jedi

You may think that, but you aren't. You're putting yourself in completely different situations that would warrant a strong physical reaction. And you are implying that if you don't think that the cop was correct for punching the girl, then you are in favor of criminal anarchy.

I already said that while he acted wrongly, he was well within his rights hitting her.

How does "stopping someone for Jaywalking" turn in to "choke slamming them onto the hood of a car"?

BackFire
I already said that while he acted wrongly, he was well within his rights hitting her.

You've also said things like this

Rogue Jedi
You've also said things like this

Mhm. "What I would have done" and "Ineffective force" coincide with one another.

inimalist
it says a lot about the training of the police when they are unable to physically restrain a single teenage girl or defuse a couple of angry individuals...

Rogue Jedi
How does "stopping someone for Jaywalking" turn in to "choke slamming them onto the hood of a car"?

How does stopping someone for speeding, then finding yourself staring down the barrel of an AK47 happen?

BackFire
"Nice, let criminals run shit then".

The implications there are clear - If you speak out against the police officer, you are in favor of criminal anarchy.

BruceSkywalker
i hate the cops..

Rogue Jedi
"Nice, let criminals run shit then".

The implications there are clear - If you speak out against the police officer, you are in favor of criminal anarchy.

Yes, I guess they could.

BackFire
Relevant to what I said? No. Glad the quote function works for you, though.

Rogue Jedi
Relevant to what I said? No. Glad the quote function works for you, though. It was sarcasm, dude. roll eyes (sarcastic)

How does stopping someone for speeding, then finding yourself staring down the barrel of an AK47 happen?

How does that have any relevance to what I'm asking you? Are you saying that cops should treat everyone as if they secretly have a gun in their underwear?

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by inimalist
it says a lot about the training of the police when they are unable to physically restrain a single teenage girl or defuse a couple of angry individuals... I can't help, when watching the vid, seeing the cop being a bit indecisive after he punched the first chick. The second (Blue top) was resisting, and he had many chances to turn her around, hold her on the hood of the car, and cuff her. It's like he was realizing what he has just did and was afraid to act again.

Rogue Jedi
How does that have any relevance to what I'm asking you? Are you saying that cops should treat everyone as if they secretly have a gun in their underwear?

It's relevant because the Seattle incident started out as a simple jaywalking stop.

In one of the vids I posted, a simple traffic stop turns into a shootout.

Point I am trying to make is shit happens.

Kinneary
When resisting, isn't that what they're supposed to assume? That they could be in very real danger?

inimalist
I can't help, when watching the vid, seeing the cop being a bit indecisive after he punched the first chick. The second (Blue top) was resisting, and he had many chances to turn her around, hold her on the hood of the car, and cuff her. It's like he was realizing what he has just did and was afraid to act again.

even with the blue shirted chick. He didn't use any formal police restraints, he didn't actually use the sorts of holds he is trained to use. He just sort of fought with her until the other chick jumped in.

Maybe he didn't think she was going to struggle like she did, but damn, he totally let the situation get out of control, fast. I think he is fairly lucky there wasn't a larger meele when he hit her, there were a lot of teens there.

Rogue Jedi
even with the blue shirted chick. He didn't use any formal police restraints, he didn't actually use the sorts of holds he is trained to use. He just sort of fought with her until the other chick jumped in.

Maybe he didn't think she was going to struggle like she did, but damn, he totally let the situation get out of control, fast. I think he is fairly lucky there wasn't a larger meele when he hit her, there were a lot of teens there.

I can imagine what I would be thinking if I were the cop. I'd be afraid of the crowd jumping in.

If anyone is to blame here it's the city, for improper training, not the cop.

It's relevant because the Seattle incident started out as a simple jaywalking stop.

In one of the vids I posted, a simple traffic stop turns into a shootout.

Point I am trying to make is shit happens.

"Shit happens" can be used to justify anything. In California there is a big hubbub going on because a BART cop arrested a dude, put him in handcuffs, threw him to the ground, then pulled out his gun and shot the handcuffed dude in the back of the head. For no reason.

Should I, then, pull out my gun and shoot the next police officer who tries to talk to me, in the face? Because after all apparently "shit happens" and thus when I shot the cop it was in self-defense. Right?

Absolutely not. =\ You can not act based upon what might happen. The reason why being a police officer is not for everyone is because even Police can not act based upon what might happen. If a Cop walks up to a pulled over car and sees an AK-47 pointed at his face, then he acts. But he doesn't pull out his gun and unload on the car before he even walks up to "just in case" the guy might have an AK-47 in his lap, and a Cop doesn't take a teenage girl and choke slam her onto the hood of a car "just in case" she might have a handgun in her panties. It doesn't work like that.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Kinneary
When resisting, isn't that what they're supposed to assume? That they could be in very real danger? thumb up If the suspect has nothing to hide, then why resist? Jaywalking tickets can be contested. I got a ticket for a broken taillight a few years back. I had the court date reset twice, and when the date came, it was dismissed.

Rogue Jedi
"Shit happens" can be used to justify anything. In California there is a big hubbub going on because a BART cop arrested someone, put them in handcuffs, threw them to the ground, then pulled out their gun and shot that restrained person in the back of the head. For no reason.

Should I, then, pull out my gun and shoot the next police officer who tries to talk to me, in the face? Because after all apparently "shit happens" and thus when I shot the cop it was in self-defense. Right?

Absolutely not. =\ You can not act based upon what might happen. The reason why being a police officer is not for everyone is because even Police can not act based upon what might happen. If a Cop walks up to a pulled over car and sees an AK-47 pointed at his face, then he acts. But he doesn't pull out his gun and unload on the car before he even walks up to "just in case" the guy might have an AK-47 in his lap, and a Cop doesn't take a teenage girl and choke slam her onto the hood of a car "just in case" she might have a handgun in her panties. It doesn't work like that.

Shit happens. Not all cops are bad. There is good and bad in everyone, not just cops.

The world is a ****ed up place, man. Shit reply, I know, but it's still true.

Kinneary
"Shit happens" can be used to justify anything. In California there is a big hubbub going on because a BART cop arrested someone, put them in handcuffs, threw them to the ground, then pulled out their gun and shot that restrained person in the back of the head. For no reason.

You're absolutely right, you can't shoot someone based on what might happen. But when attempting to restrain one person, and a second jumps in and violently tries to separate the two of you, should you just shove the second person over and over until they stop?

EDIT: And hell, the girl has apologized. As in, she has admitted she was wrong. Why are people trying to champion her cause when the person who was there and who knows the most about what led up to the confrontation admitted she was wrong?

Quiero Mota
Racist, sexist, poorly trained, broke under pressure, or put on a show for the camera.

Whatever the reason (excuse) for punching an unarmed girl who was only annoying at worst, he should be stripped of his badge and filling out job applications.

The Nuul
thumb up If the suspect has nothing to hide, then why resist? Jaywalking tickets can be contested. I got a ticket for a broken taillight a few years back. I had the court date reset twice, and when the date came, it was dismissed.

Because she must be carring dime and nickel bags of pot.

Rogue Jedi
Because she must be carring dime and nickel bags of pot. Or a .357.

Rogue Jedi
Or a .357. Aren't you from LA?

Bardock42
Aren't you from LA?

Shouldn't you know that best?

Rogue Jedi
Shouldn't you know that best? Should I?

Bardock42
Should I?

Well, yeah, you asked yourself whether you were from LA

Hey, how's quitting KMC forever going?

Boring. Boring as hell.

As sad as that is. sad

The Nuul
Well, yeah, you asked yourself whether you were from LA

lol, yup.....fail.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Racist, sexist, poorly trained, broke under pressure, or put on a show for the camera.

Whatever the reason (excuse) for punching an unarmed girl who was only annoying at worst, he should be stripped of his badge and filling out job applications.

**** you Bardock.

Bardock42
Boring. Boring as hell.

As sad as that is. sad

That is pretty sad, I can relate though.

The Nuul
**** you Bardock.

Thats Quiero Mota and not Bardock......WTF?

Scythe
That's not Bardock...

Rogue Jedi
lol, yup.....fail. If misquoting someone is my worst fail of the day I'm fine.

The Nuul
If misquoting someone is my worst fail of the day I'm fine.

You did it twice, though.

Rogue Jedi
You did it twice, though. Shit happens.

HA.

I was eating and on the phone.

Quiero Mota
Shit happens.

HA.

I was eating and on the phone.

A dumb excuse (just like whatever that pig's is).

Rogue Jedi
A dumb excuse (just like whatever that pig's is).

Hey, you from LA?

Quiero Mota
Hey, you from LA?

Los Angeles or Louisiana?

Both are rough precincts anyways. The LAPD and NOPD both have a decent number of ex-bangers in their Vice Units.

(As for my location: the 623 = Phoenix)

Rogue Jedi
Los Angeles or Louisiana?

Both are rough precincts anyways. The LAPD and NOPD both have a decent number of ex-bangers in their Vice Units.

(As for my location: the 623 = Phoenix) Aaaaaaaaahahahaaaaa...................Wait, that's where I wanna live. Tuscon to be precise.

inimalist
I can imagine what I would be thinking if I were the cop. I'd be afraid of the crowd jumping in.

im really surprised they didn't

If anyone is to blame here it's the city, for improper training, not the cop.

I wouldn't go that far:

thumb up

Quiero Mota
Tucson ("c" before "s"wink sucks.

Rogue Jedi

I wouldn't go that far:

Well, isn't the city responsible that he is trained properly? Responsible that the officers who train him are fully qualified/capable of doing so?

Rogue Jedi
Tucson ("c" before "s"wink sucks. I've only visited a few times, I liked it.

Quiero Mota
Well, isn't the city responsible that he is trained properly? Responsible that the officers who train him are fully qualified/capable of doing so?

Not if he dicked around in class, or only became a cop for the badge and respect.

Besides, cops have too much personal discretion and autonomy to blame "the system".

Psychology is something that you can train up to a very limited point. You can only be told to how to act in a specific situation. Wither or not you can think with the clarity to do it, is completely personal.

Rogue Jedi
Psychology is something that you can train up to a very limited point. You can only be told to how to act in a specific situation. Wither or not you can think with the clarity to do it, is completely personal. Actually we were discussing how the officer seemed unable to restrain the woman, unable to apply the right technique. You know, shit they teach you in the academy.

Not if he dicked around in class, or only became a cop for the badge and respect.

Besides, cops have too much personal discretion and autonomy to blame "the system". Well, ideally those types of candidates should be weeded out. Unfortunately we live in an imperfect world.

I don't see the point of condemning all police as pricks because one chooses to throw a punch while being assaulted. After all, if a group of Marines rape an Iraqi woman, are all Marines in fact rapists?

Quiero Mota

I don't see the point of condemning all police as pricks because one chooses to throw a punch while being assaulted. After all, if a group of Marines rape an Iraqi woman, are all Marines in fact rapists?

No, he's a prick.

You campared the police and the military? The military is a million times more rigid and organized than any PD. In Bootcamp you can do two things without permission: breathe and blink. The Police Academy is no where near as strict. Also, a Marine riding in an Abrams while doing a patrol in an Iraqi neighborhood has way less discretion than a cop cruising the beat in his black&white. For one, the Marine has to request permission to engage the enemy, and the request then has to be okayed by his CO.

An insurgent with an RPG =/= a pissed off skinny unarmed black girl.

Rogue Jedi
No, he's a prick.

You campared the police and the military? The military is a million times more rigid and organized than any PD. In Bootcamp you can do two things without permission: breathe and blink. The Police Academy is no where near as strict. Also, a Marine riding in an Abrams while doing a patrol in an Iraqi neighborhood has way less discretion than a cop cruising the beat in his black&white. For one, the Marine has to request permission to engage the enemy, and the request then has to be okayed by his CO.

An insurgent with an RPG =/= a pissed off skinny unarmed black girl.

You're missing my point. I am simply saying that one bad apple does not ruin the bunch.

Do all NBA players rape white girls like Kobe did?

Do all Presidents get their knobs polished by some intern in the White house?

Are all mechanics rip off artists?

Is every person of middle eastern ethnicity a terrorist?

No on all counts.

The officer was in a tense situation, he made a decision and executed. If he is so very wrong, why are no charges being pressed against him? Why did the girl apologize? Why didn't she get a shark lawyer and sue the city for millions?

The Nuul
How the fck did NBA get into this thread?

The Nuul
Had another look at the video. Even though she pushed him, he attacked her back via fighting which is not called for. This was not self defense or use of proper force.

Rogue Jedi
Had another look at the video. Even though she pushed him, he attacked her back via fighting which is not called for. This was not self defense or use of proper force. I've asked this before, here it goes......What if the cop was a woman and the jaywalker a man? If she hit him after he pushed her, what then? Excessive force? What if she were a black female officer, and he a white man?

The Nuul
Yes, the media is playing a big deal about this because of the color and sex issue. They're black and female vs a white male cop.

Rogue Jedi
Yes, the media is playing a big deal about this because of the color and sex issue. They're black and female vs a white male cop. I am asking you what your take would be on it then, your personal opinion, as opposed to what it is now.

The Nuul
The cop is wrong and the media is making a huge deal out of this.

I just said this...

Amazing Vrayo!!
Originally posted by lord xyz
Should have stayed in the kitchen. damn...I wanted to say that. Well, I've got to make something out of this post. Um, first "Are you serious? Are you serious?...Are you serious?" and furthermore, this reminded me of this song: BkkOQjK71Ss
Maybe they should make this a music video!!! eek!

Rogue Jedi
The cop is wrong and the media is making a huge deal out of this.

I just said this...

This is what you said:

Yes, the media is playing a big deal about this because of the color and sex issue. They're black and female vs a white male cop.

Sounded like you were commenting on the white officer.

But OK, I gotcha.

The Nuul
Had another look at the video. Even though she pushed him, he attacked her back via fighting which is not called for. This was not self defense or use of proper force.

And this.

Rogue Jedi
And this. Mhm. Proper force is using his ASP, his taser, or his gun. What was he thinking?

Mindset
I don't think you know what proper force is.

Rogue Jedi
I don't think you know what proper force is. You a cop?

Mindset
You a cop? No, but their policies are accessible to people who aren't cops.

He could not have used deadly force on her, which would be using his gun.

Rogue Jedi
No, but their policies are accessible to people who aren't cops. Well link away then. Seattle PD's policies to be exact.

Mindset
http://www.seattle.gov/police/publications/Policy/SPD_Manual.pdf

Have fun.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>