The Dresden Files

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lincoln Rhyme
Now for all of you who have not read a book from this mystery/horror/fantasy/comedic series,shame on you mad . Let me give the rundown:

The Dresden Files are about a wizard investigator in modern day Chicago. His name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. His investigation cases include: ghouls,werewolves,vampires,ghosts,demons,necromanc
ers,fairy's,trolls,zombies,and
killer unicorns. Basically any supernatural creature,thing, etc. you will likely find in this series. Harry is quite the smart-ass and,he can't keep his opinions to himself,even to the people that could easily kill him for running his mouth. Harry has been known to get his balls in a vice in just about every book of the series because of his comedic smart mouth.

Harry is a consultant of Chicago's Special Investigations unit,who take the "unexplainable" cases and help keep people in the dark about the world of the supernatural. Head of this branch is Lieutenant Karrin Murphy AKA badass *****. She calls in Harry for advice,and usually gives him cases to solve.

So what are you waiting for!? Get started with Storm Front by Jim Butcher. The series currently has 12 books in it.

Jaeh
A Wizard P.I. who's in the phone book.

honestly? no one has posted in this? read it, it's awesome. beyond words.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/1248964599329.jpg

...enough said. go out and read.

The Scenario
Awesome series. Every single character is badass to one degree or another.

Even Butters.

AfroMan
The 13th book comes out in July! I CAN'T WAIT!

Omega Vision
Love the book series. Got turned onto them by a friend this summer and I was almost immediately hooked.

I referred two people directly to them along with one person indirectly. They all became as hooked as I am.

Supposedly Ghost Story's first chapter has been leaked onto the net.

I read it, and I can't say if its legit or not only that it does feel like the right style and that if real I am quite interested in how it'll play out based on what happened in the leaked chapter.

celestialdemon
Getting closer...

miiih
My friend I have gone through this one. Basically, take traditional hardboiled fiction, give it a mind bending preternatural twist and you have Storm Front, the first book in a new series with the potential to send author Jim Butcher to the top of the gumshoe sub-genre of horror/fantasy fiction.
Harry Dresden, the series' protagonist, is everything that's great about the hardboiled anti-hero, with a twist: He's a wizard trying to make a living working practical magic in a modern world that's foolishly rejected the supernatural in favor of science and technology. Part average guy, part renaissance man, Harry's got a dark side, a wicked sense of humor and a deeply rooted, personal code of honor that drives him to risk everything to fight the supernatural forces preying on his clients, an attitude that puts him at constant, dangerous odds with both the bad guys and the authorities alike.

In Storm Front, when a routine murder investigation turns out to be anything but routine, the police reluctantly turn to Harry for help. But a case that started as a way to pay the rent soon gets complicated for Harry when he's forced to cross paths with the Chicago mob and a mysterious figure known as the Shadowman, drawing Harry into a web of black magic and danger.

Already under the Doom of Damocles (a form of probation placed on him by the White Council who oversee the ethical use of magic in the world of the mundane) Harry himself falls under suspicion and is forced to risk execution to solve the mystery and stop the Shadowman, before the killer takes another victim.

Storm Front is a riveting, action packed roller coaster of a novel, a damn good mystery with compelling characters set in a rich alternate reality universe where anything can happen. There's a little something for just about everyone here from black magic and the Chicago mob to vampire madams, demons and the fey.

I enjoyed this novel immensely and am looking forward to the next in the series.

BlackZero30x
im now getting ready to read Death Masks. I absolutely love these books. I read Storm Front sometime ago and I loved it but I got pre-occupied and had not read any for a long time. Once I heard that a new one is being released I had to pick it up again. So like I said im starting Death Masks now. And I have to say im not just reading these im practically consuming them. I have never read a book series like I am this one. Im trying to catch up before the new one is released. It shouldn't be that hard since im going through each one in a matter of 2-3 days....4 if im really busy lol

Omega Vision
If you're talking about Skin Game you needn't worry, it's not coming out till December.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If you're talking about Skin Game you needn't worry, it's not coming out till December. yes indeed I am. I hadn't realised it wasn't until the end of the year though! Im not going to know what to do to actually have to wait to read one lol

Omega Vision
I got into the series around when Changes was released--summer of 2010, so Skin Games is the the third book I've had to wait on. The worst part will be right after you finish Cold Days, but after a month or so your withdrawal symptoms should subside.

The good news is that there are (including Skin Games) six more books to go in the main series, and then after that Butcher is writing an "Apocalyptic trilogy" to cap it off.

My brother is also a fan of the series (I introduced them to him) and he was commenting how strange it is to think that he'll be in his mid-thirties when the series ends (assuming there are no delays). Hell, I'll be in my thirties too.

BlackZero30x
lol I got into it because I watched the show and I enjoyed it. I saw the "based on the novels" line and wanted to try them. The books (as is with most books) are much better then the show imo. Im pretty much done with Death Masks and am moving on to blood rites but since I have so much time to catch up i'll probably slow down a bit......I say that as if im not dieing to read the next lol.

I won't know what to do after its all over lol. I read the first in the Codex of Alera but I really couldn't get into it so I doubt I wil pick that series up.

Omega Vision
Yeah, I've never looked at the show because just from reading the synopses of the few episodes they produced it sounds greatly inferior to the novels.

Codex Alera...yeah, the first two books kind of suck if you're comparing them to the Dresden Files, and they never really get as good as the DF, but books 3 and 4 are pretty good. 5 as well, but I felt like the quality began to drop toward the end.

Blood Rites is actually one of my least favorite of the series, but it's not bad. Starting with Dead Beat the series really starts to reach its potential.

To me, all the books are good, but the best ones are Grave Peril, Dead Beat, White Night, Small Favor, Turncoat, and Changes while the least awesome are Stormfront, Summer Knight, Bloodrites, Proven Guilty, and Ghost Story.

BlackZero30x
Yeah the show is so absolutely different then the books its as if they didn't even consider what was in the books. I like it as far as the novelty of introducing me to the books.

Like I said im trying to take it easy so I have less time to wait but it only will do so much good lol Im half way through Proven Guilty now. Dead Beat was really good! It gave me a sort of love for Butters! lol

Omega Vision
Originally posted by BlackZero30x
Yeah the show is so absolutely different then the books its as if they didn't even consider what was in the books. I like it as far as the novelty of introducing me to the books.

Like I said im trying to take it easy so I have less time to wait but it only will do so much good lol Im half way through Proven Guilty now. Dead Beat was really good! It gave me a sort of love for Butters! lol
The good news then is that Butters becomes a regular in the latest books. He becomes Harry's doctor, more or less.

Omega Vision
Butcher reading the first few chapters of Skin Game:

5-p_CTynqd8

BlackZero30x
Well I gotta say this is some good stuff!

Newjak
I just finished reading the current set of books out. Finished Cold Days last night it was awesome. I've been enjoying this series a lot of fun.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Newjak
I just finished reading the current set of books out. Finished Cold Days last night it was awesome. I've been enjoying this series a lot of fun. How long did they last for you?

I've gotten half a dozen people onto the series, and some of them have finished the entire series in under a week.

I paced myself, and read up to Changes over a course of about three months after discovering the series.

Newjak
How long did they last for you?

I've gotten half a dozen people onto the series, and some of them have finished the entire series in under a week.

I paced myself, and read up to Changes over a course of about three months after discovering the series. I read them over the course of 3 months as well. A friend of mine had the entire series and wanted to get me hooked on it so he had someone to talk with him about it.

It's often better to read slower in my opinion helps digest stuff better.

Omega Vision
When I read genre fiction I tend to tear through it, but with literary fiction I read at a third grader's pace. Or at least I feel as if I do. Whenever I read a Toni Morrison or Vladimir Nabokov book I take a month, but a Dresden Files book, which tends to be 50% longer, takes me a week. I think it's because I read DF books as a reader, not as a writer.

Newjak
That makes sense generally a Dresden book takes me about a week to read but I don't try to break it down I just go along for the ride and see if I enjoy it.

What has been your favorite books and characters so far?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Newjak
That makes sense generally a Dresden book takes me about a week to read but I don't try to break it down I just go along for the ride and see if I enjoy it.

What has been your favorite books and characters so far?
Good question. For a while it was Grave Peril, until I read Dead Beat. Then...I don't know, Changes was pretty amazing, as was Cold Days. Ghost Story was my least favorite.

Favorite characters include Marcone, Bob, Mouse, Mister, Harry, and Nicodemus.

Newjak
Excellent I also enjoyed Dead Beat, I enjoyed Death Mask and Grave Peril. Changes was good. I actually liked Ghost Stories I felt it was a nice change up from Harry's normal pace. I really liked Cold Days along with Turn Coat. I don't know if there is one I particularly disliked but if I had to choose a least favorite it might be Blood Rights or Small Favors.

My favorites are Bob, Mouse, Susan, Michael, and Thomas. Harry and Marcone are like my second tier favorites.

BlackZero30x
The official release for Skin Game is May 27th. Im pretty excited!

Newjak
Me to and that is my birthday so I'm expecting it as a present!

BlackZero30x
haha thats funny because my birthday is the 24th so I was expecting it as a late birthday present!

Omega Vision
got my little brother to start reading around New Years. He's now reading Ghost Story.

That makes five people I've gotten to read the series.

BlackZero30x
The majority of my friends that do read books don't care about the series much. Most of them have the mind set that if its not Game of Thrones they aren't interested. I personally couldn't get into those books much.

Omega Vision
You're just not pitching it well enough. stick out tongue

NemeBro
I've read the first in the series, I am stuck in limbo within the second. That was before my "Finish what you start" book policy was in place. I'll finish it one day. One day.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by NemeBro
I've read the first in the series, I am stuck in limbo within the second. That was before my "Finish what you start" book policy was in place. I'll finish it one day. One day.
It gets SO MUCH better after the first two books, trust me. Not that the first two books are bad, mind you.

ShadowFyre
I absolutely love this series. I haven't read the latest one but I hope they explore Odin and the dragon from the 3rd book more.

Omega Vision
Ferrovax is supposed to play a major role in the "Apocalyptic Trilogy" at the end of the series.

Odin...yeah, he had a big role in Cold Days.

ShadowFyre
Thank you for the dragons name. I have read all of them up to ghost story. The local library doesn't have the newest ones. Guess km gonna have to buy everything after that.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
Thank you for the dragons name. I have read all of them up to ghost story. The local library doesn't have the newest ones. Guess km gonna have to buy everything after that.
Newest one. There's only been one book out so far since Ghost Story.

Skin Games isn't coming out till May.

ShadowFyre
Yeah. Its been almost a year since I read them. Perfect reason to re read them. Has anyone watched the show? I never have. I heard it was horrible.

Omega Vision
I haven't seen it. I think it was canceled after a few episodes.

BlackZero30x
It got a whole 1st season. It was ok but the only thing that seems to have not been changed are the names. They really could have taken it a much better direction.

EDIT: and the Dragon in the show was kinda meh. Really didn't seem to have the power like they are portrayed in the books.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by NemeBro

Like Omega Vision said it gets really good! I think once you pick up steam on the second you will be happy you did. Then the rest of the books are even better. Deadbeat(book 5) and Cold Days(book 14) are my two favorites. The rest are all really good though.

Omega Vision
The weakest three books in the series (IMO), Storm Front, Summer Knight, and Proven Guilty are still great books and would be the highlights of many lesser series.

BlackZero30x
Reading Skin Game right now lol

BlackZero30x
Skin Game was pretty good!

Newjak
Skin Game was pretty good! Agreed it was a lot of fun to read and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Omega Vision
Bout to start it.

Omega Vision
Pretty good all in all.

Lots of twists and turns.

Newjak
Pretty good all in all.

Lots of twists and turns. Definitely agreed

BlackZero30x
The next book(#16) in the series "Peace Talks" is currently being worked on. It seems that Butcher has decided to go for the full 20. On his website there is now a tab under The Dresden Files 16-20.

Newjak
The next book(#16) in the series "Peace Talks" is currently being worked on. It seems that Butcher has decided to go for the full 20. On his website there is now a tab under The Dresden Files 16-20. That's awesome.

Dreampanther
"Parkour!"

He he. Thought this was one of the best Dresdens so far. Really liked the tension between all the members of the team, and loved the bigfoot / skinwalker characters. Was pretty cool to see Harry getting some respect from some serious players. Cool action sequences.

Surtur
Glad to see a topic for this series, I truly love it. I think Butcher has especially been on a roll ever since "Changes".

Though I still have a nagging question from the book "Cold Days". In the beginning when the Winter Court all show up at an event where was Lea?

Dreampanther
I've just finished Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus books and if I didn't know, I would have sworn it was just Jim Butcher just messing around with a British version of Harry Dresden set in London. I didn't like the character quite as much as Harry, but really there are a remarkable amount of similarities.

Anyway, it made me decide to re-read all the Dresden books again from the beginning and so far, I'm quite enjoying myself. I forgot how much fun the first few books were, before it got slightly more serious.

Omega Vision
Wow this is taking a while.

Surtur
I'm still waiting for the next book after "Skin Game".

TheVaultDweller
Yeah Peace Talks is taking quite a while to come out. But then Butcher was busy with that other new Steampunk book series of his as well.

Surtur
I still am curious why Lea was NOWHERE to be found in Cold Days, despite Mab holding some kind of winter court ball where all the winter fae attended, but no Lea?

Dreampanther
You find out later.

Omega Vision
I've gotten the impression that Lea is the Winter Court wildcard, she was probably handling something sensitive at the time and we'll find out later...or Butcher just didn't think about it.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Dreampanther
You find out later.

Surtur
I suppose, but I would think at least Harry would wonder where Lea was. I mean even Santa/Odin showed up. But he doesn't even think as to where Lea is, and remember it was said the ENTIRE winter court had to attend.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Surtur
I suppose, but I would think at least Harry would wonder where Lea was. I mean even Santa/Odin showed up. But he doesn't even think as to where Lea is, and remember it was said the ENTIRE winter court had to attend.

My personal opinion is that Harry is so determined to be independent and so wary of Lea (he knows how powerful she is and how keen she is to tighten her hold on him) that he wouldn't spend a lot of time wondering where she is. He knows she is Mab's second-in-command so would assume wherever she is, it is by Mab's wish (which she is, in fact).

It's not an invalid point to ponder, it just doesn't really matter imo and when her whereabouts are explained later, it all becomes clear and makes sense. wink

Surtur
But Mab wants to do the same thing more or less that Lea does, so shouldn't he be wondering about them both?

Omega Vision
Speaking as a writer, this is always possible:

...or Butcher just didn't think about it.

Surtur
True, but when is this next book set to come out?

Omega Vision
Too long from now. sad

I'm actually not sure, six months ago it was supposedly coming out in May, but now I don't see it coming out before September at the earliest. TBH prepare yourself to wait till early-mid 2017 the way things are going. No news since January is a bad sign.

Dreampanther
But Mab wants to do the same thing more or less that Lea does, so shouldn't he be wondering about them both?

Well, I think that's the wrong way around. Mab's will is law and Lea is her right-hand, therefore Lea wants what Mab wants. Lea's known Harry a bit longer and is fond of him in her own way so she's a bit more concerned about him than Mab is, but I am pretty sure (and I think Harry is as well) that Lea would sacrifice him if that was Mab's will. I think that's why Harry doesn't think about her too much or worry where she is when she isn't close by, because he knows that though she can be useful she's not reliable and would betray him if it was a choice between him and Mab.

Surtur
We at least need a date for when this next book is coming out dag nabbit.

Dreampanther
Going to be next year some time, probably. According to his website he's still writing it, which means after that it still has to be edited, etc. Might have to check out his Wild Card comics in the meanwhile to satisfy my craving for more Dresden. reading

Surtur
Luckily I got all the books on my PC so I might re-read some of the past stuff.

Actually wait perhaps I will check out the audio versions of these books, they are all on youtube for free. The guy who plays Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer does the audio books.

Dreampanther
Luckily I got all the books on my PC so I might re-read some of the past stuff.

I did that earlier this year - read the whole series again from the beginning. Really enjoyed it - when you read the whole series in one go it's amazing to see how everything fits and how the story evolves.

Surtur
Also in case some don't know..you can usually figure out what kind of villains Harry will deal with in a new novel by looking at who he dealt with in past books. More specifically, what seems to be every 5 books. For example, Nicodemus is a key villain in the 5th book "Death Masks" and again in the 10th book "Small Favor" and again in the most recent book(the 15th in the series) Skin Game.

So for the next book #16 you can look at the 11th book. Which the plot was all about the "Black Council" and it introduced The Naagloshii(which was not killed in the 11th book).

Surtur
In the next book I want to see at least two things. I want to see Harry interacting again with the White/Grey Council. They never really had a confrontation about his decision to serve Mab and I'd imagine the Merlin wouldn't be too happy about it. I also want to see him talking with McCoy. Yes they did interact briefly after Harry first took on the mantle, but that was at a battle and then after that Harry died, etc.

Also want to see Lea show up again. I still find her absence from that Winter Ball suspicious. I also want to find out who/what the f*ck the bar owner Mac is, but not necessarily in the next book. Also curious if we'll ever see "He Who Walks Behind" again.

Dreampanther
I am pretty sure Butcher is building up to a big confrontation with the Outsiders. With He Who Walks Behind having taken in interest in Harry from the time he was sixteen and He Who Walks Before popping up in Cold Days, we have now met two of the three Walkers. It seems like they are extremely powerful Ousiders and since we know that only a mortal can open the Outer Gates for them, it seems like they have some scheme in which Harry will play a part.

Having now been to the Outer Gates and seen what a huge army the Gatekeeper and the Winter forces are battling, Harry knows what is at stake and why it is so important that he helps fight the Outsiders. It is also worth noting that Harry is one of the few mortals that has the potential to wield power over Outsiders, according to Lasciel.

Surtur
I think Mac somehow has a connection to the Outsiders too.

Dreampanther
I think Mac somehow has a connection to the Outsiders too.

Yeah, will be interesting to find out exactly how Mac fits in. Apparently Butcher has said that he's dropped enough hints that if you are geeky enough you will figure it out, and I know the one Walker called him "Watcher."

Surtur
Isn't there a type of angel called "Watchers"?

Dreampanther
Isn't there a type of angel called "Watchers"?

There is one theory I've read that makes a pretty convincing argument that Mac could be Uriel, but personally I haven't really speculated about it too much. Butcher hasn't let me down so far in the Dresden series so I'll trust him to reveal everything in his own good time. Besides, Butcher has apparently stated that even if his fans guess correctly, he will just deny it until he's ready!

Surtur
Where the f*ck is book 16?

Dreampanther
Where the f*ck is book 16?

Ha. Still going to be a while - he's still writing it, then it has to be edited, proofread, etc...

But here is a pretty cool interview with him where he talks about it - and man, it's just getting bigger and better.

http://www.comicmix.com/2016/09/26/emily-s-whitten-dresden-files-jim-butcher-talks-peace-talks/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.