Dynamic Powersets: Do they exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
I've seen lots of talk on the forums about "Dynamic Powersets" as applies to certain characters, that is to say that certain characters are able to climb in and out of rigidly defined power tiers when the need arises.

Here's my question: do dynamic powersets exist or are they merely abstractions created by posters to rationalize ultra-high-end showings that are obvious outliers? Case in point: Superman lifting (with Captain Marvel's help) a book that weighed more than the Universe in FC: Superman Beyond.

Was this an example of Superman's dynamic powerset coming to play or was it just a one off fluke?

Personally I'm on the fence.

Digi
Dynamic powersets exist. However, the example you used is just pure absurdity.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Digi
Dynamic powersets exist. However, the example you used is just pure absurdity.
You're pure absurdity sneer

...sir ermm

Digi
The difference between dynamic powersets and idiocy is a fine line, and is probably dependent upon one's point of view. Imo, Superman can and has willed himself to greater levels of strength depending on the situation, and it is part of his power set. However, heavier than the universe itself is a stretch by ANY interpretation of his powers. The situation called for heroism, so he lifts the universe?!?! If that were the case, every case of him not having enough strength in a situation that demanded heroism would be CIS. As it is, the book feat is just bad writing, or metaphoric writing where we are to see it as obvious hyperbole.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Digi
The difference between dynamic powersets and idiocy is a fine line, and is probably dependent upon one's point of view. Imo, Superman can and has willed himself to greater levels of strength depending on the situation, and it is part of his power set. However, heavier than the universe itself is a stretch by ANY interpretation of his powers. The situation called for heroism, so he lifts the universe?!?! If that were the case, every case of him not having enough strength in a situation that demanded heroism would be CIS. As it is, the book feat is just bad writing, or metaphoric writing where we are to see it as obvious hyperbole.
There's a possibility it was a meta-feat, a feat of comprehension not strength.

After all Ultraman was lifting it by himself after reading it and discovering that evil supposedly won in the end.

Digi
Originally posted by Omega Vision
There's a possibility it was a meta-feat, a feat of comprehension not strength.

After all Ultraman was lifting it by himself after reading it and discovering that evil supposedly won in the end.

Right. Metaphoric, like I was saying. I prefer to see it this way, because otherwise it's just an atrocious piece of writing.

Mindship
I've seen lots of talk on the forums about "Dynamic Powersets" as applies to certain characters, that is to say that certain characters are able to climb in and out of rigidly defined power tiers when the need arises.

Here's my question: do dynamic powersets exist or are they merely abstractions created by posters to rationalize ultra-high-end showings that are obvious outliers? I've never heard of 'Dynamic Powersets'. And now that I have, it sounds like a rationalization for inconsistent writing.

Bentley
Originally posted by Mindship
I've never heard of 'Dynamic Powersets'. And now that I have, it sounds like a rationalization for inconsistent writing.

Or how Wolverine fans make him unstoppable.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Bentley
Or how Wolverine fans make him unstoppable.

But he is.

biscuits

Galan007
After all Ultraman was lifting it by himself after reading it and discovering that evil supposedly won in the end. Then he obviously didn't comprehend the book at all, now did he? sneer

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Galan007
Then he obviously didn't comprehend the book at all, now did he? sneer
He fell into the Cliff Notes trap: he thought he knew his shit but when it came time for the test he bombed because he only skimmed a condensed version. stick out tongue

Q99
Dial H for Hero or other people with literally variable powers, like Black Alice, who's power is extremely dynamic.

GL rings have two variables that dynamically decide their power: Will and Charge. Either of those can go up or down (the Charge seems to have reduced the power of individual GLs after the corps reformed).

Some other characters have power that depends on emotional state, like Raven.

Achilles from Wonder Woman explicitly increases or decreases in power somewhat based on resolve and confidence (the whole 'Achilles in the Tent' thing from the old myth).

Warlord
dynamic powersets exist when the story requires them...
simple as that

dmills
In most cases (not all) it's FIS. But for certain characters it's apart of who they are, i.e. The Hulk.

srankmissingnin
I don't think "dynamic" is the right descriptor for his phenomenon. The word has certain inherit connotations and in my mind, none of them suggest poorly defined, arbitrary power levels that shift whichever way the wind blows..

but maybe thats just me /shrug

Original Smurph
I don't get it- do some characters' level of power change?

Uh... yes.

Look at Hulk- dynamic levels of strength.

In Superman's case, he has willed himself to be stronger, but that, IMO, is just different writer's explanations for his ill-defined strength levels. However, despite being due to writing inconsistency, it's still a cannon 'dynamic powerset'.

janus77
they exist in so much as they reduce self-imposed limits.
Surfer can conceivably reach 'trans' levels by absorbing and reinforcing the power cosmic, he's always been capable of it, but rarely if ever allows himself to do it (UniLord, Oan energies etc).

Hulk too, on an even grander scale, is capable of taking on dimensional gods or empowering fleets of Hulks (RedHulk and the Hulked out Heroes), yet normally hangs at herald level... it's just not much of a challenge otherwise.

Blanket

Here's my question: do dynamic powersets exist or are they merely abstractions created by posters to rationalize ultra-high-end showings that are obvious outliers? Case in point: Superman lifting (with Captain Marvel's help) a book that weighed more than the Universe in FC: Superman Beyond.

Was this an example of Superman's dynamic powerset coming to play or was it just a one off fluke?

Personally I'm on the fence.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t346614.html

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Blanket
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t346614.html
Its not really a technical question, more of a query on the beliefs of posters.

Rage.Of.Olympus
An angry Thor.

I seriously recall an issue where Odin stated that Thor's powers varied in accordance to his belief in himself and his convictions or something similar. Thor #331 I believe. I need to re-read that issue.

Konton
Originally posted by Q99
Dial H for Hero or other people with literally variable powers, like Black Alice, who's power is extremely dynamic.

GL rings have two variables that dynamically decide their power: Will and Charge. Either of those can go up or down (the Charge seems to have reduced the power of individual GLs after the corps reformed).

Some other characters have power that depends on emotional state, like Raven.

Achilles from Wonder Woman explicitly increases or decreases in power somewhat based on resolve and confidence (the whole 'Achilles in the Tent' thing from the old myth).

Raven's powers aren't really emotionally driven in comics.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.