How did you first discover your favorite character(s)?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dmills
When I was about 9 years old, my dad gave me a big box full of comics that he got from his work. Among it's contents were the full runs of Iron Fist vol.1 and the man called Nova vol.1!

dmills
Also in the box were a bunch of old Conan the Barbarian stuff, Solomon Cane, Official Marvel universe handbook, Tomb of Dracula, Alien Legion and some old X-Men, Fantastic Four and Thor stuff.

Juk3n
Played Marvel vs Capcom on Dreamcast, saw Cable, was awsome, did research, discovered more. Patcrick Zirchers Cable ftw!

steverules_2
I used to watch the old 90's marvel cartoons and from there became a wolverine/spiderman fan, later on from the comics I became a fan of deadpool smile

srankmissingnin
My dad used to own a trading card shop in one of his buildings. He'd buy me cards (thinking back on it I'm pretty sure he bought himself cards and gave me the doubles... but whatever its a good memory lol) and I would collect the sets with my dad, looking at the art work and reading all the stories and bios on the back of the cards, thats what got me invested in these characters and eventually moved me into the comics themselves. That is one of the many reasons I'm drawn to Marvel more than DC, Marvel had a way better line of trading cards on the market when I was a kid. Marvel Master Pieces? Come on, that was so awesome.

And the first thing I ever bought with my own money was a Toy-biz Wolverine action figure with retractable claws and - for some reason - a gun.

steverules_2
Wolverine is well known for shooting people

Warlord
my uncle used to be a comic book collector and back in the 80s they were not abundant here in Greece. we had an annual Spiderman book with some extra stories from different characters in addition to the main Spiderman story. I was so lucky to find Frank Miller's Daredevil in one of them

willRules
Originally posted by steverules_2
I used to watch the old 90's marvel cartoons and from there became a wolverine/spiderman fan

SNAP!!!

Wild Shadow
i watched x men cartoons in the 80's i was like that australian dude is bad@SS takes no guff from the white boy boyscout summers and hits on his old lady and he isnt even white boy american, bonus... that's what a real man acts like not these sissy heroes who drink milk and cookies and are overly polite he acts more like a regular person with fualts and vices like smoking..

i wanna grow up be like him smoking drinking beers and smacking ppl around b/c i am better and tougher then the sissies around me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImJg7-RQuXk&feature=PlayList&p=AA26805609DBF98F&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=15

RE: Blaxican
An Aussie Wolverine, Emma Frost as a lackie, and a red headed Kittie Pride. What in the hell?

Rage.Of.Olympus
I was a Thor fan since before I was born.

My mom actually read me a Thor comic when she was pregnant with me.

Wild Shadow
you remember that? confused alien

peejayd

marwash22
I got into comics through the greatest gateway drug ever, television (cartoons to be exact). The old 'X-men' and 'Tick' cartoons on Fox kids, 'Superfriends' and the live action WW on Boomerang... and after the DCAU shows, it was a wrap.

Kazenji
Originally posted by steverules_2
I used to watch the old 90's marvel cartoons and from there became a wolverine/spiderman fan, smile

Pretty much the same way for those two myself

Thor- Got into it thanks to JMS run

Punisher- After watching the Thomas Jane Movie and Playing the PS2 game

Iron Fist- ending up buying Essential Iron Fist with Chris Claremonts run

Prof. Wagstaff
People got into comics through other media? Personally, I got into Comics through the ol' toybiz figures of the x-men in the 90's. Nightcrawler became my favorite. However, since dropping marvel, my favorite characters became my favorite characters just by reading their comics...

steverules_2
The first true comic I got and I remember buying it was at a rest stop with a magazine section and I saw an issue of Astonishing spiderman 64 and I loved it, I wanted to buy more comics but didn't know many places, then I went to Asda and saw they have comics there so was quite happy and since then...been buying comic books smile

Mindship
Silver Surfer.
I was a kid when I came across the comic where Surfer fought and pwned Hulk for the first time. I still remember how amazed I was at how easily this totally unique-looking character manhandled Marvel's strongest one there is. To this day, I still think no-spandex and flying standing up is tres cool.

Superman.
I was bored to tears with Superman as a kid, mostly because my first exposure to comics were the pre-crisis ones my older cousins had. I thought pre-crisis Superman and his stories were the silliest things going. They looked especially pathetic after discovering Marvel and Jack Kirby.

I rediscovered Superman in the 90s, starting with his animated series. At first I was put off by the sight of Supes wearing a mask to breathe in space. But oddly, now I started to find him interesting. Then after I found out the "S" shield is the 3rd most widely recognized symbol in the world, I began to appreciate Superman as a symbol of the best in humanity probably more than I liked him as a comic character.

Martian_mind
Martian Manhunter - I picked up a copy of Morrisons JLA, WW3 I think, and thought that it was OK. The heroes were on the ropes right up until a pod crash landed on the satellite, and a green, bald, red-eyed bundle of awesome stepped out of the pod, his words something to the effect of "Yo bitches, Jonn is here and the bad guys are ****ed."

Red Hood- My first comic ever was the one where Jason beats down the Joker with a crowbar. Knowing the Joker's reputation, and being aware of Jasons backstory, this pretty much established him as crazy awesome. I mean he went to town on the Joker. With a crowbar. As a joke.

Beta Ray Bill- I read Stormbreaker. No more explanation needed.

Endless Mike
I watched the X-Men Evolution cartoon and though Apocalypse was so badass, but then I read the comics and realized he sucked

shifty

Kazenji
Another one that i like is Ghost Rider but can't remember how i discovered him and it was'nt the nick cage movie.

theICONiac
Incredible Hulk...

I was introduced to the Hulk through the late 70's TV show...lil' ICON used to watch it every Friday night as the show came on at 7pm (followed by Dukes of Hazzard at 8 and bedtime by 9). CLASSIC memories.

Became a lifelong Hulk fan after that.

TheTyrant
The first comic I ever read was Silver Surfer vol. 3, #81 in 98, which made me a fan of the Tyrant. Two years later, I read Apocalypse: The Twelve, which got me into the X-Men, Mr Sinister, and Apoc.

Wild Shadow
man, i feel old hearing about when you discovered them.. i was already a teenager

dmills
At least you discovered popular characters. Could you imagine what it was like being an Ironfist fan in the 80's and 90's? Even Nova at least was a New Warrior. Thank God for Fraction and Brubaker!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.