Star Trek Time Travel. What if...?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CadoAngelus
What if we didn't follow the crew during a time travel episode and instead followed the actual time line.

What I'm trying to get at is this: say for instance we look at the Generations movie. We know the enterprise gets destroyed and we follow Picard into the nexus. Now technically as soon as Picard and Kirk "go back" to stop Soran this would result in a branching time line - we all know about alternative time lines due to alterations of history and whatnot.

So, if we had stayed with the Enterprise-D being destroyed and the crew of the Enterprise being killed, what would happen with the Federation in forth coming events...I.e. First Contact?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
What if we didn't follow the crew during a time travel episode and instead followed the actual time line.

What I'm trying to get at is this: say for instance we look at the Generations movie. We know the enterprise gets destroyed and we follow Picard into the nexus. Now technically as soon as Picard and Kirk "go back" to stop Soran this would result in a branching time line - we all know about alternative time lines due to alterations of history and whatnot.

So, if we had stayed with the Enterprise-D being destroyed and the crew of the Enterprise being killed, what would happen with the Federation in forth coming events...I.e. First Contact?

Earth would be come Borg. That would make for a sucky movie.

Kinneary
Gotta agree with Shak. The very next movie the Borg take over Earth, and eventually spread to the entire Alpha Quadrant. This is, perhaps, the worst topic ever.

Doctor-Alvis
I'm gonna metagame this and say that either the movie First Contact wouldn't have been made, and thus the Borg don't invade, or a different crew would have saved the day.

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
I'm gonna metagame this and say that either the movie First Contact wouldn't have been made, and thus the Borg don't invade, or a different crew would have saved the day.

I like this...

There are several factors that suggest that the Borg would still find Earth sooner or later - Picard being assimilated and Voyager using the transwarp hub - but I'm sure the outcome would have been different.

I'm sure the Enterprise-E would have still been built. And even if the Borg managed to go back in time with no-one following them there's still a chance that Zefram Cochrane could have managed the maiden flight of the Phoenix and made first contact...

Doctor-Alvis
Probably much, much later. I don't think there'd be the same motivation to make a Borg invasion movie without the Enterprise crew. That would make the Voyager crew the more likely cast to evoke that, and they blew up the transwarp hub. By the time the Borg got there Voyagers twinked out loot would have given the Federation fleets a huge boost.

Mindship
Originally posted by Kinneary
Gotta agree with Shak. The very next movie the Borg take over Earth, and eventually spread to the entire Alpha Quadrant. This is, perhaps, the worst topic ever. You've never seen my threads. dontgetit

CadoAngelus
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Probably much, much later. I don't think there'd be the same motivation to make a Borg invasion movie without the Enterprise crew. That would make the Voyager crew the more likely cast to evoke that, and they blew up the transwarp hub. By the time the Borg got there Voyagers twinked out loot would have given the Federation fleets a huge boost.

I was hoping for a few more people to think outside the box lol...the replies are a little to linear in succession of events that carry on from Generations just without the Enterprise and her crew.

I agree with you Alvis. Something else would happen. I believe that the reason he borg attacked earth was because they felt threated by a certain someone - Picard. He was the only person within the ranks of starfleet at the time of First Contact - Voyager didn't get back from the Delta Quadrant until after First Contacts setting so technically Seven doesn't count.

The only two major threats to the borg within starfleet are infact Seven and Picard. Both Liberated by the Borg and then again by Starfleet. Both have major tactical knowledge about the inner workings of a Borg vessel and are more likely to be able to lead a strike force against a borg incursion and lead it with minimal damage to their repective teams. Just look at First Contact - though this is slightly off subject - Picard was in the battle for mere minutes before he took control of the situation and was able to destroy the cube with help from the fleet.

I believe Seven in that situation would be no different.

darthmaul1
That is one of the holes, is if the borg can create a vortex and time travel, why not just do that in their own space then travel back to earth without the federation and assimilate it. but then there would be no movie.
(if you have a time machine why not go back and kill austin powers while he's sitting on the crapper?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.