Legolas vs. Boromir

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GandlaftheWhite
In a fight, who would win: Legolas or Boromir? Please give on answer to why. Happy Dance

Dexx
first of all, i don't think a comparison of this sort should be even made.
They wouldn't fight, and considering boromir's ..life extension, they never will either.
They're on different skills. Boromir is good with a sword and shield, legolas with the bow and knifes. And the elves are quicker. So yeah, i'd bet on legolas.
But this is like comparing frodo with sam..or...dunno what

Ushgarak
To answer the spirit in the question it was asked:

Neither. Boromir would charge Legolas. Legolas would put five arrows in him, which Boromir would ignore, hack Legolas to pieces, and then die himself.

Mithrandir
very true

Captain REX
laughing out loud

Dexx
laughing out loud never thought of it like that

Fitch
that could be
btw,GandlaftheWhite, I think you wrote u're name wrong...laughing out loud

Mujaffa
legolas would win... he'd just shoot him at distant

Dexx
the uruk-hai did that too....and still he could take a few more orcs with him.

Ushgarak
Boromir was the greatest warrior in the Fellowship. He was renowned throughout human civilisation for his might in battle; the living re-incarnation of King Earnur, they called him, who was much the same...

legolas_luver
i would say that legolas would win because he is fast with the bow and arrow, and he has gd senses, and he is quite agile, if i am rite.
and the bromir he is human and dont have senses, and not aglie and legolas would fire bows and arrows and he would be dead.
well thats my opinon anyway. stick out tongue

Fire
if boromir would get close to legolas, which I think is very likely legolas would die, boromir was a very tough and brilliant warrior as ush already stated, he wouldn't die of a few shots (as we have seen in the fellowship) if boromir would get legolas in reach of his blade I think legolas would end up being a pile of mudd, chances are great that boromir would die after that one

Dexx
Many men with a somewhat skill in fightin g would manage to kill legolas IF he'd be near him. That's the problem.
Legolas_luver....you underestimate men.
I wouldn't know who'd win

BOPRecruit 16
my money is on legolas. he knows how to wield a sword and bows/arrows. he's faster and has had more battle experience most likely. besides arrows can be shot from long range. boromir uses a sword. remember who legolas killed the monster in moria and kicked some orc butt?

Dexx
but boromir has a shield also. He can use that even against arrows..A LOT

Ushgarak
I will repeat, Boromir is considered to be the mightiest warrior in the Fellowship.

Member.
Boromir has a weak heart, humorously small brain, and an ego that rivals Bush, same goes for his bro, faramir.

i personally think aragorn is the greatest. the perfect gentlemen.Arwyn is hot, Eowyn is just plain ugly.

Master Nate
I think Legolas would defeat Boromir...Legolas is just way to quick. Boromir would put up a fair fight but would lose..

Master Nate
Oh and Aragorn would beat both of them big grin LOL. His just the greatest. smile

mah
untrue words

Member.
lol
actually gandalf would probably kick all their ass.

Dexx
idd mah!

I don't want to go into a boromir vs aragorn duel. It's not as obvious as some of you might consider. Why do u underestimate boromir so much?
Men are more or less weakminded as a species.
LOTR is a book about will...a lot of the tales there can be transposed in real life. we're all weakminded.

Fire
yea I feel a lot of anti boromir feelings
I think ppl think he sucks cause he died
well everyone in the fellowship except for gandalf maybe would have died there
indeed elves are faster than humans, but they do not have lightspeed they can be hit even by "just a human"
and yes legolas killed the troll in the tomb in moria but that was a group effort legolas found the weakspot it wasn't like he did it on himself
yes legolas kicked orc but in moria and later at the falls but boromir is surrounded by dead uruh-kai when he dies

Member.
he tried to steal the ring, aragorn is better.

Dexx
boromir comes from a noble familly. So does aragorn. BUt u can't say wich one is better, that easy at least.
We can say that Boromir had a BIG reason to take the ring, with the menace on Gondor, as for aragorn...he's trying to escape Isildur's curse. That could be a plus on his will strength.
Besides, Boromir did realise what he did, and he did save the hobits before they were taken anyway.

Ushgarak
Anyway, this isn't about who is more morally sound, it is who is more dangerous.

Master Nate
"lol
actually gandalf would probably kick all their ass."

LOL,Yea true that.

Captain REX
Yes, but he is a wizard, thus not a fair fight.

Yes, Boromir was a great fighter. Probably why Tolkien killed him in the first book... big grin

Ushgarak
Second.

Dexx
yeah..first movie

Member.
movie and books don't go together that well.

Charmed one1154
Legolas would win because elves are better

Metroplex
Yes i think Legolas will win since he can take out Boromir from a long distance

cermiestar
ok, orlando is NOT legolas.........some people just GOTTA realise that...

billyboyd4ever
i cant imagine them fighting in the first place, so its ridiculous to even think aobut that, but i do think legolas would win, but thats not one hundred %. its probably more like 60-40. besides, boromir has a stout heart, and it would be admirable for him to even take on such a challenge because life means so much more to a mortal man than a roughly 3,000 year old elf. though i like legolas better, i might almost hope for boromir, because of this reason.

Fire
not every man has a physical constitution as boromir had

Fire
cermie you can't quote signatures but I think we all know what you mean

and why does everyone feel that elves are so superior in every way?

Metroplex
Well they are cool. They are immortal, very cool fighting scences with the elves. In a documentary that i saw about J.R.R tolkien, they said that the elves were his favored race.

chica16
who cares who would win... i'd still do legolas in the end

Seraph
legolas would win. hes cooler than boromir in a fight.

Izz
Elves are not superior in every way. For an example, they do not learn as fast as Men. But, I like them best. I like them best because they have qualities which I think are very important: love of music, wisdom, creativity, they are not selfish and always looking for triumphs in battle (though there are exceptions), some of them have healing powers, they make everything beautiful, they have a beautiful language, are in touch with nature. Well, I can go on forever since I am an enormous elf-fan. (and of course not to forget Arwen, Galadriel and Legolas are Elves)

Dark_Queen
maybe boromir would win,but u never can know
if it was a battle 2 the death-they would probably kill each other.lol

mah
Haha, too true.

Dark_Queen
thats true,but its hard not to visualise him as legolas now.he does suit an elf

Adumarwen
If Borromir killed Legolas (as you had put it ushgarak) Boromir would die any way becaude I would kick his ass for killing my elven prince of whom is very cute and if anyone harmed him I would kick their ass!!! mad devil

LOTRCRAZYGIRL
SIMPIL LEGOLAS WILL JUST SILENTLY WAIT FOR BOROMIR IN THE FOREST AND THEN ................... BAM!!!!evil face devil BOROMIRS DEAD laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing laughing ninja IF HE DONE THAT THEN I WOULD CALL HIM "SILENT NINJA"

undomiel
but they wouldnt even be fighting

LOTRCRAZYGIRL
GOOD POINT......WHY ARE THEY FIGHTING??? huh

Tulkas
Legolas would kick all there ass's!!! Have you ever seen Legolas get touched in a fight? Nothing can hit him. He could shoot boromir down with one arrow (cause he would hit him where ever he wanted to hit him) but even if bormir got close, legolas would take out the knives and slice him to pieces!!!! Elves are immortal, they have more time to improve there skills with weapon's............TRUE !!!!!!!

Julie
legolas would definately win, but then again Boromir's already dead so it;d be a pretty lame fight to being with:-)

Blue Angel_08
or lets tri this:
if both of them got AIDS who would die first?
ok stupid question.but i think legolas would win

sauron
erm, you have to ASK!!??

boromir would win

legolas would be nancing about ready to shoot him, then realise he can see his reflection in the tip of the arrow, do his hair, and then be killed

and if he DID shoot boromir i dont think it would take him down straight away, as arrows dont exactly bother him that much lol

Exa
Boromir all the way... oh and I wouldnt mind if he killed (film-)Legolas accidentally.

sauron
yeah like if he was just, stabbing the air, and legolas happened to be in the place he ran over too

Kitoky
Definate Boromir factor here. smile

LegolasLuva
First off, I really couldn't care less about Orlando. It's the character Legolas that I love. Know what would be cool? If Orlando signed a poster or something as "Legolas"! It would seem more genuine to me. But anywho, I like elves because they are immortal, which is pretty neat, but they can't truly understand death... But their ears are the coolest! LOL And they are very close with nature and have great respect for it, at least a lot more than other races do. I read somewhere that Legolas (and probably other elves too), as an elf, is directly linked with his surroundings, like his skin hue changes with the environment he's in, which shows just how much they're related to the earth. Even his clothes and their colors represent something! I'll see if I can post the link here in a later message. But they really ARE superior! Excellent hearing and sight, and his hearing allowed Legolas to hear the moans of rocks in a forest in the Fellowship of the Ring while the others only heard the wind. They are very in tune with nature, which is the main reason I like them and respect them. They are also masters of archery, and being immortal, must be very wise and experienced in battle. But, one question regarding their immortality... They look like a young adult, maybe early 20s usually, but are they born that way? They shouldn't age a bit since they're immortal, but it looks like they do, so... yeah. It confuses me. Legolas is cute too, though. I was even more impressed with the elven race after I read about them on different sites, so I just wanted you to know that I don't love elves just because of Legolas. OK? OK. laughing

And yes Izz, I totally agree with you. There's some MORE reasons to love them and why I do!

Kitoky
Woah long rant.

shadowy_blue
I agree that the Elves are superior in some way, but not in every way. Otherwise, they would be too perfect and there's no need for the other creatures of Middle-earth.

Anyway, for the topic of Legolas vs. Boromir, it depends on what we're talking about. If character and psychological depth, definitely Boromir. Legolas is too flat and weak as a character, too predictable, no depth, etc.

When it comes to fighting, Legolas because he's using bow and arrows and you can't go wrong with that. But if you'll make him use a sword, then we will have a good fight.

Overall, Boromir. I care not if it's subjective or not, this is a subjective thread anyway. Legolas fans voting for him, Boromir fans voting for Boromir. stick out tongue

Kitoky
They only vote for Legolas because of Orlando. Well some anyway, not you LegolasLuva.

LegolasLuva
Whaddya mean "no depth"? He DOES! I couldn't say it and make it sound real, but if you look up things about him and elves, you'll learn that it's kind of all a non-spoken liking of them and their depth. An example I can think of is like Legolas' and Gimli's strong friendship, unusual for a dwarf and an elf, who are known to be bitter enemies. Like I said in that "long rant", ahem, earlier, I elves are extremely in tune with nature, directly linked with it and respect it. Unless you're a screaming fangirl (though I can understand their feelings love ) who likes Legolas for the single reason being he is Orlando Bloom, I can see how it might be hard to like him, as he doesn't talk too much. But aren't the really smart people always quiet ones? He IS 2,931 years old, after all. He, like other elves, must be very wise as well as knowledgable and intelligent. Don't forget experienced, too! If I was that old, immortal, looking like that, I wouldn't feel the need to speak. Wise people, as you would normally picture them, would be silent, taking in life and "feeling the magic" of everything. I can't explain it really. They just sit there, in all their wisdom... Unless of course, they need to fight! Then he kicks a$$! laughing He's just plain cool in every aspect! It's an elf thing that drives me to love him so much. It's all about the culture and spirituality of the elves. Cool! smokin'

shadowy_blue
I've read all Tolkien books, I watched all movies, I've been to hundreds of websites about LOTR, the Elves, and everything so I know what the Elven qualities are. Those qualities that you are talking about (being in touch with nature, uttering words of wisdom, etc.) are not exactly specific Legolas character depth but a general Elven quality. It's just like how Men generally in Middle-earth are gruff and rugged, how the Hobbits in general are merry and cheerful and all that. Legolas as a character has no depth. Did we ever see his emotions? Did we see how he was thinking? Did he had any temptations? Do you know anything about his background other than being the Son of Thranduil and one of the Nine Walkers? Heck, does he even have any problem?

What I was saying is, compared to Boromir (that is the very point of this thread), Legolas is NOTHING when it comes to character depth.

It's good that they're friends and all, but I wouldn't call it character depth. I befriended my most worst enemy at school. Does that make me deep?

No he's not. Tolkien NEVER said when he was born or what his age is. He was the most enigmatic member of the Fellowhip. That 2,931 years old is just a movie promotional info.

I'm not saying that he's not intelligent. But being intelligent and wise doesn't necessarily make a person rich in personality and character. Being wise doesn't trigger emotion and character. I know several intelligent and bright people who are very flat when it comes to emotion and personality.

I NEVER said he should always speak and blabber around. You can feel a person's depth without doing so. But sadly, Tolkien didn't frequently gave us some insights of how Legolas thinks and feels about a situation. Even though he didn't have to speak, we should at least know what's going on inside him. It worked for other characters.

That's nice.

sauron
lol what a post shadowy!!!

Lord_Andres
If Boromir had that armur he had when they reclaimed Osgiliath, he would have won, the arrows wouldint get trough the metal, and I also got my bets on that Boromir can handle a bow

Kitoky
Dude Boromir wearing that Gondorian Armor looked so freaking awesome!

Earnur
Just to add my thoughts to the original question: Boromir would win. As someone pointed out in the beginning, Boromir was said to be the living reincarnation of King Earnur, the man who destroyed Angmar, the kingdom of the King of the Nazgul. He was eventually killed in single battle by the Witch-King, but that's not the point. Legolas would have been killed quicker.

Let us consider the evidence. Throughout the books, Legolas does no consider hand-to-hand fighting. In the movie he does more, but still not of the extent that Boromir does. He kills from afar with his bow, but Boromir would not be unsuspecting.

Now Boromir, however, has been fighting all his life. He held Osgiliath and the river when even Faramir could not. He was Gondor's chief general in all but name for years. He died fighting a horde of orcs alone, killed in the end by having (in the books) many arrows shot into him, or, in the movies, three or four.

Who would win? I think the evidence points to Boromir.

I would, however, say that they would never fight, they are both too good to turn against each other. This is entirely hypothetical.

shadowy_blue
Great post. smile

That's one of my new found problems too. sad They changed Legolas skills and abilities in the movie to the extent that he's almost unkillable. They made him too over the top when it comes to fighting skills that's why I'm always having some troubles everytime I have to emphasize some things about it. I always have to clarify that "I'm talking about the book-Legolas", or "I'm talking about the movie-Legolas" because they're like completely different people already. Not like the other characters that I could still bring up their book character incarnations whenever I'm trying to prove a point. It works for both versions. Not on Legolas though. sad Book-Legolas is not that good and freaking perfect.

VENOMfan
I second this, Legolas wouldnt stand a chance unless he was a good 50 yards away.

Bow and arrow=boring
Sword and Shiled=badass

LegolasLuva
I said before that I partially love Legolas because he's cute, and I think an awesome character in fighting, but also because he's an elf. I like elves and everything they stand for, which is the main reason I respect them. And yes, I definitely saw his emotions! And I haven't even seen the extended versions yet, but those are the ones I'm going to get. I can't answer the question about his history and stuff, because I've never specifically looked up anything about it. I MIGHT know what you mean by "problem"...

And in a movie, yes, that WOULD make you a deep character. It would be a breakthrough for you and the "worst enemy", and it was even more of one when Legolas and Gimli not only tolerated each other, but became the best of friends. Especially for an elf and a dwarf. That must have been tough letting go of differences like that, just to see in the end that there was no reason to hate each other.

Either way, he IS old, like most other elves. You can tell just by the way that they act and speak. To be "the enigma" is fine. That is one of the coolest character types, to most people I know as well.

I didn't say, nor should it have been implied, that I said that intelligence triggers character and emotion. I said he was wise, and that was one reason I liked him, not a reason for all elves or a reason he showed character.

But I'll say this much. If I was 1,000 or whatever years old, as wise as an owl, with cool-looking ears (LOL) and fighting skills like his and with a poetry streak in me (I'll show you where I found it), I would just walk around, following everyone, confident but not too much, with a pretty much expressionless face. I can't explain it. It's just the way someone like that would act to most people.

What does "That's nice" mean? Do you mean I'm a fangirl who can't keep her mouth shut--which I'm NOT, because I don't love Legolas 100% because he's Orlando Bloom; I have good reasons to like him and I say them(!!!)--or, are you just saying you have no comment?

shadowy_blue
Emotions? Like when Gandalf fell and Boromir died, and Aragorn fell off a cliff and stuff like that? OK..I'll give him that..let's say he has some depth some how, but you see, the very point of this thread is comparing him to Boromir, and like I've said above, Legolas has some depth (OK..I'll now revise it from no depth at all), but he still doesn't hold any candle compared to Boromir if that's where we're going at.

That could give you some character depth, for some movies, probably. But not from how LOTR movies were made and how his relationship with Gimli was handled. Being a deep character doesn't depend whether or not you did the most outrageous and extraordinary thing in this world, but how you did them, and how you felt and thought about it. I wouldn't consider his being sudden friends with Gimli an extreme character depth because there wasn't enough emphasis on it. Now, if the filmmakers had actually took the time to show us how they gradually became friends and buddies, if they actually showed us what triggered them to be friends and accept their differences, then yes, I will call it character depth both on Legolas and Gimli's part because they wouldn't be friends without the other. But no, what did we see in the movie? They throw a few insults back and forth and the next movie they're butt buddies. Nice, multidimensional character development right there. Yeah, I guess suddenly they forgot about the centuries of racial tension between their two races. And don't tell me it's because of screentime, we have a lot of time for EEs, and I'm not asking for 3 hours of Gimli-Legolas friendship dedication time either.

In the book it was further described and emphasized so I will give him that, but like I said, for the point of this thread, his depth still doesn't compare to Boromir's. I don't care if Legolas has any depth or not, because even if he has, it's still not very deep not like the other complex and multidimensional characters in the books and movies.

Yeah, but I wasn't asking you why you like him. You quoted my earlier post where I said that he has no depth and you gave your own input about it, then suddenly in one same post you jumped about his and the Elves' intelligence? What do you suppose should I interpret about that? Of course as far as I'm concerned, I would think that you were using the intelligence issue to validify your point about his depth.

Kinda being mad there, are we? I said that's nice, without any sarcasm or anything. I'm actually happy for you for liking the Elves and all. What's wrong with that?

sauron
well i think they would both lose

legolas *shoots*

bromir: *is hit* an arrow...dude they dontbother me, read the book! *slash*

legolas: is cut, slowly bleeds to death* *shoots boromir some more*

frodo: ITS THE RING, IT TURNS US AGAINST EACH OTHER

both: shut up midget

sam: you did NOT just insult frodo!! *kills everyone*

Kitoky
laughing

laughing

sauron
gandalf: sam no, dont do itttt
sam: they insulted my lover....i mean master...yes thats it :shify: hes the master...im the naughty schoolboy...oh i love those games
gandalf: dude.......*silence for about 30 seconds* can i play!!

Kitoky
roflmao

laughing

rolling on floor laughing

laughing out loud

LegolasLuva
No, I 've seen many more instances of him like that. But I'm not going to take the time to post them. All threads will get off topic SOMEWHERE. It's just unavoidable. But Boromir was only in the first one, and I can't really recall much of any emotion he showed. He was kind of a key character, so that would be more emphasized automatically.

No, I never said it was "extreme" character depth. It doesn't matter what kind of movie it is. All movies (good ones, at least) have some kind of sidestory, no matter how man there are, and this just happened to be one of them in Lord of the Rings. It's kind of like saying that in a fantasy movie, comedy shouldn't be there. But hey, Lord of the Rings has some comedy, everyone likes it and it IS funny! It is a little part of screentime, though... I said a LITTLE, so don't argue with me on that comment.

Well then, I guess we were both wrong there then. I was saying that part of why I liked him was because of cultural depth, the lives of the elves. Background cultural depth is part of a characters' depth as well as anything else, although it may not be shown too well. Sometimes you need research... Intelligence is one reason why I like him, and the general wisdom and experience of the Elves' culture in itself can be considered a trait of depth in him. Well, I can't really word it very good... So, yeah. That probably didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Two little words don't say much to me. We can't hear each other, so we don't know how the other person is saying something unless they explain it or make it totally obvious. Or they can also add smilies... Thanx anyway! Nothing wrong with that, and I'm happy I like them too! Elves R cUl. cool

shadowy_blue
Hhm...this thing will never end. I still stand by my view..and you stand by yours. Let's just agree to disagree. Nice talking though...smile

LegolasLuva
angel Tee hee! Thank you! I'm sure it would never end... It never does at frostcloud.com But there, you're supposed to keep expressing your views. The more long-winded, the better! Philosophy, science, technology, culture, off-topic... Good site! I like it, even though no one really ever agrees with me, but I cet compliments saying that I'm very smart for a 14 year-old. Of course I just post about Lord of the Rings here, so you could never really know my opinions on stuff like that. My name there is DotHacker smile, in case you'd like to know. I try to defend the Lord of the Rings movies there, too. You can read those, but I'm the only one whose taking on all 3 or 4 of the book people! I always have a response, though! cool

shadowy_blue
smile

I also like long discussions about some stuff, but not necessarily stuff like opinions and insights, because once you've discussed about it with someone who has a different view than yours, your discussion will never end. I post stuff to prove some points, but once I've posted them and proved them, and the other side still doesn't agree (or we still didn't reach any resolutions about the arguments), then I'll stop. There's just some refusals of understanding, if you know what I mean. The argument will never end so it's better if one will cut it already. smile

I like to post long discussions about the things in the book, some revelations, speculations, and all that. I'm not very fond of opinionated discussions so much. stick out tongue

Thanks for the link, though you have to hide it from Kit. stick out tongue

LegolasLuva
Huh? Why? What're they going to do with it? erm I don't know much about any of you here yet. confused

shadowy_blue
I also don't know why..for some reason..they don't allow to post hyperlinks here..*shrugs*..I'm also wondering about it myself. *shrugs again* confused

LegolasLuva
I don't know how to "hide it", though. Am I gonna be in trouble?! no

shadowy_blue
not really..LOL..I was just joking..I'm sure Kit wouldn't make a big deal out of it if he sees it...just don't do it again if possible. big grin

seprno
boromir because legolas tries tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard.

sauron
legolas would win in the long run

legolas would challenge boromir, be killed, boromir would be overcome with fan-girls with sharp objects and slef sacrifixces would be made to the elf.....

so he wins...he starts a religion

LegolasLuva
How DOES he try to hard? If he tries that hard, then he'd win for SURE... And why do people hate Legolas JUST because of fangirls? It's so unfair...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.