To Be a Teacher in the USA

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

seyit
What do you think about that issue? Is it hard or easy? Is it enough to offer the needs? wink

Wild Shadow
cannot have any felonies and even then certain crimes or accused of crimes will get you the boot which is not even constitutional or legal but no one cares b/c "its for the kids, think about the children.."

also need to do a background check and yes even register your finger prints.. plus a bachelors i think..

Rogue Jedi
sex offenders feel free to inquire.

Symmetric Chaos
You don't make much money and everyone hates you for making too much money. No Child Left Behind means that within about ten years no matter what you do all your efforts will be recorded as a failure.

I would suggest teaching anywhere else in the world. The US is a lost cause. For example, in New Jersey the governor is slashing funding for public schools and using state money to subsidize private schools.

Wild Shadow
all my friends kids go to either private school or charter school..

my friend's friend kid is 15 or 16 and is graduating early and straight to college,,

hell even i was a **** hair close to going to a private catholic school in my youth.. public school is old news nowadays

seyit
I will explain my situation to you. I am from Turkey. And I am a physics teacher candidate over here. Medium of instruction in that university is English. In Turkey, Teacher salaries is about 12,000 $ per a year. I will be poor smile However, I do not care financial needs. I just love teaching someone.

That is my career plan: I will graduate from there. I will go to Boston, MA. I will apply the office to be teacher in public schools. Therefore, I will earn sufficient money. Also, I will register Tuition Reduction Program for masters' degree.

I have two question:

1. I am foreigner. Do Americans hate me? "He you! You stole our job! Go home!"

2. What do you think about this plan?

P.S I have Green Card.

Wild Shadow
immature kids may have issues with you but dont blame or think it is everyone. i had a problem with a canadain teacher as most of my class when i was a kid. you might live your life in a small bigoted town and be picked on and think the world is like that and one day leave find a new town city and realize how different other ppl are and who actually appreciate you and find a hot @$$ girl which would make me a lil angry if i wanted her for myself .." damn foreigner coming over hear taking all of our girls with his sexy accent and nice milky tan..

i recommend you try charter or private school kids are more respectful and you are paid more possibly even appreciated which i think good teachers should be

Mindset
WS, are you high?

Wild Shadow
what is high? i mean what mental mindset do you have to be in or induced with and what kinda drug needs to be involved to be considered high?

anyways.. i am not sure if you can get a job in highschool with a green card i know some government jobs wont hire you and require citizenship.. not sure if that applies to high school teachers..

maybe its just cops and dmv type jobs

ADarksideJedi
I think it is hard sometimes because teachers have to deal with a lot of kids who are so out of control these days.And if they punish them or try to protect themselves they are fired and arrested.I don't even think teachers have any right anymore.
Maybe they should bring back the spanking punishment that they had a long time ago.I bet there would be no trouble after that.

Mindship
The problem is that the Powers That Be are politicians / businessmen / lawyers who know nothing about what goes on in a classroom; they surround themselves with former educators who've become multi-six-figure-salary yesmen; and they pursue Ivory Tower objectives to compensate for a society high on lip-service about how important education is but low on actual value with regard to money, time, energy and occupational esteem (eg, what would you rather be: a baseball player or a teacher?).

Further, because the "business model" is being pushed (after all, educating a human being is like manufacturing bottles of soda: the product itself has, of course, no input regarding its own outcome), students quickly get the message that if they fail, it's always the teachers' fault, so why bother doing any real work. Consequently, more kids fail and more tests have to be watered down or grades fudged, otherwise the Powers That Be say, "Your school failed--we're shutting you down," so they can make room for charter schools which virtually pick and choose who they're going to educate (avoiding as best they can the special ed / low achiever / behavior problem crowd).

In effect, there is a war on against public education to hide society's shortsightedness and ass-backwards values when it comes to preparing for the future (the long-term consequences are already becoming apparent: witness the rise in remedial classes in colleges). It's a war--it's a con game!--and one of its greatest perpertrators is the Emperor, er, Mayor of NYC, to whom a judge finally said, If you're going to close schools, do it legally and for good reason, not after you've set the system up for failure.

And for those who think teachers have it so easy, may I remind you that 1) no one put a gun to your head and said you can't be a teacher: you made a choice regarding what you want to do for a living; and 2) go teach a class for 30 days. You won't last a week.

/ tip-of-iceberg rant

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
For example, in New Jersey the governor is slashing funding for public schools and using state money to subsidize private schools.

no.....

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
no.....

No what?

inimalist
as in an expression of astonishment and disbelief

dadudemon
as in an expression of astonishment and disbelief

You mean, that wasn't sarcasm? (I assumed that's what you meant, but I thought it was/is sarcasm.)

Mindship
That's also intended as a union-busting measure, another "educational" high priority on the PTB to-do list. Yes, over time union powers have become calcified and abused, but this is what happens when any system is in power long enough (should we dump capitalism because of the abuses it allows?). It's the human condition, and a union recalibration is definitely in order. But let's remember why unions arose in the first place: because of the rampant abuse of power and authority by bosses / supervisors / etc, when employees had no protection.

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
You mean, that wasn't sarcasm? (I assumed that's what you meant, but I thought it was/is sarcasm.)

no, i was really just expressing that this surprised me

KidRock
My girlfriend just graduated college with her B.A. in Elementary Ed. and English, she wants to be a teacher.

Seems like a rather hard process. She had to do quite a bit of student teaching and interning and her classes seemed to involved a lot of work, but this may vary from school to school.

She is now going to get her masters which involves more student teaching and interning. So by the time she gets her masters she will have a lot of teaching experience under her belt and be ready to take on a classroom.

Seems difficult enough.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
cannot have any felonies and even then certain crimes or accused of crimes will get you the boot which is not even constitutional or legal but no one cares b/c "its for the kids, think about the children.."

also need to do a background check and yes even register your finger prints.. plus a bachelors i think..

indeed....my girls parents both were teachers(her father became super for awhile).....in fact her cousin has even become a teacher....and between us if he made it with his temper then it's not that hard to do.

chomperx9
public schools you get shot at these days.

RE: Blaxican
The overarching failure is in the system itself, it can't be attributed to just one specific part of the learning process.

I've gone to public schools my entire life, and my experience has always been the same since I moved from uber wealthy San Mateo to broke ass Daly City/San Francisco; lack of funding and emphasis on test results leads to ridiculously crowded classrooms and uninspired or restricted teachers, which leads to only the upper echelon of students getting any attention and inspiration while the mid-range and lower students fall through the cracks and either stop caring and just drop out/fail or they get lower grades, or, in the case of my High School, they'd freakin' deport them to another High School... So it's like, as a result of having dumbass laws and low funding, you've got teachers who don't care, and then as a result you've got Kids who don't care.

I dunno. That's how the experience was at my High School anyway. We had 1800 students with a racial make-up of 71% assorted asian and 29% other. So if you were a Filipino with a 3.0 GPA all the teacher's loved you and would give you breaks, and if you were anything else that was just too bad.

I remember that when I graduated I was one out of three black students graduating in a senior class of 600 students. laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
Well in really simple terms the problem comes from two angles.

First of all public schools aren't allowed to turn down any children. This is undeniably a good thing, everyone deserves a chance at an education.
Secondly programs like No Child Left Behind require that everyone succeed. While this sounds like a noble goal it happens to be impossible; the kid with Down Syndrome isn't going to as good at math as I am no matter how much people try to help, neither is kid who lives alone with his crack-head grandmother.

Schools scramble to get good test scores for the standardized tests that decide if they get funding. When they "fail" parents with means try to get their kids into private school and the smart ones make it leaving the public schools with an even more difficult task.

Private schools are of great value, of course, they can give the best possible resources to high achieving kids. But they do this without passing state tests and have the opportunity to pick their students.

My mother has a (probably apocryphal) story about a businessman who was brought in to help a school improve. His thing is blueberries, some of the best in the world. They sit him down and ask him what he does to make his product so consistently good.

He says: "Well the shipment of berries comes in and I sift through to find the best ones."

A teacher stops him: "But we have to take all the blueberries."

Mindship
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
My mother has a (probably apocryphal) story about a businessman who was brought in to help a school improve. His thing is blueberries, some of the best in the world. They sit him down and ask him what he does to make his product so consistently good.

He says: "Well the shipment of berries comes in and I sift through to find the best ones."

A teacher stops him: "But we have to take all the blueberries." clapping

Wild Shadow
like i said in the 1st page.. its all about private/charter schools

Seth Wynd
A few things off the top of my head:

-If you have to go through the degree program to get a degree in education again (you might), there is indeed a period where you have to student teach, or "intern" as was mentioned earlier, and the teacher you do this for will evaluate you. If you do have to go though the degree program all over again, do some research first. Try to find the universities that started off as a "normal school." Despite the unappealing name, that was the name given to institutions that specialized in training teachers. Not surprisingly, those universities tend to be renowned for their teaching programs, and some are actually fairly inexpensive (I'm attending NAU, personally. Before it was called Northern Arizona University, it was founded as a normal school).

-Being CONVICTED of a felony will get you fired. Being accused will likely result only in a suspension until your guilt or innocence is proven in court. REPEATED accusations for the same crime, however, will likely get you fired because it's bad for the school's image. Just like if you worked for Microsoft and repeatedly mentioned to customers on the phone how you thought Microsoft's products were utter shit and that they'd be better off with Apple. It may not technically be a crime, but it's bad for the organization.

-Bachelor's degree will allow you to teach at the pre-school, elementary, and high school levels. Master's degree is required for college / university teaching.

-Becoming a state certified teacher, despite the implications of the title, is optional. It does, however, bump your salary up significantly.

-Depending on where you plan to teach, and at what level, there may be additional and varying requirements. You should also research where you want to teach: inner cities tend to pay more than isolated communities, but generally speaking you can think of it as "hazard pay."

-You can also apply through the US Department of Defense for their teaching program. A minimum of a 2 year committment is required, your pay is based on a military pay grade, but they'll usually provide you with transportation to the base you'll be teaching at (you'll be teaching the kids of enlisted men and women) and occasionally housing. This is also an -excellent- way to see the world.

-Teaching on a reservation is risky, because although the pay tends to be great (it's a federal job), the contract can include a provision that lets the government fire you at any time. From what my EDU 205 professor told me (who taught on a reservation at a private school, though some of her friends weren't so fortunate), that provision can and will be enforced without hesitation.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Seth Wynd
-Bachelor's degree will allow you to teach at the pre-school, elementary, and high school levels. Master's degree is required for college / university teaching.

-Becoming a state certified teacher, despite the implications of the title, is optional. It does, however, bump your salary up significantly.

In some places having a Masters degree or certification can prevent you from getting hired due to them having to pay you more, it's can be better to go in without either. On the one hand, that's a problem created by the unions but on the other hand it also says that people don't give a damn about educating their kids. So...

King Kandy
no.....
Haha... this country hires blackwater over US soldiers... You think this is astonishing?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.