Magneto vs. Guy Gardner

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lightyeargee
Fight takes place in space near lots of magnetic energy. Guy's ring is fully harges and he has his battery with him.

Mshinu
Define "lots of magnetic energy"

BlackZero30x
GL

I really Don't see how Mags can hurt him

DarthDaniel1001
Lensher.

rotiart
A magneto at his prime would win...
In a field with high magetic energy would just amp him...
Magnus wins 8/10

Black bolt z
Guy

nicamarvin
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Gay

Mshinu
Mags: "Why ARE you hitting yourself with that silly ring?"

Black bolt z
Originally posted by nicamarvin
you

cdtm
Originally posted by Mshinu
Mags: "Why ARE you hitting yourself with that silly ring?"

Can Mags manipulate something that probably has no iron/Earth metals in it?

It's alien stuff, after all.

Anyways, can't Guy simply absorb the magnetism?

Stoic
I don't think that Magneto would win in this scenario, but if the battlefield had more metals, this would be a cakewalk for Magneto.

Guy ftw

Slaanesh
any top tier GL can beat Mag

Lord_Talron
couldnt mags do one of a few things to him before he realized what his power was?

Rage.Of.Olympus
Magneto wins.

Originally posted by cdtm

Anyways, can't Guy simply absorb the magnetism?

One word: Polaris.

cdtm
Originally posted by Lord_Talron
couldnt mags do one of a few things to him before he realized what his power was?

With a name like Magneto? stick out tongue

And Guy could always probe with the ring, plus the gl auras are pretty effective defenses. (Blocked bullets and kept Eradicator from taking off Gardners head, although that was Sinestro's ring.. Same principle though.)

cdtm
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Magneto wins.

One word: Polaris.

Good point.

The thing is, Thor proved he could absorb Magneto's shield, yet in later stories he's uselessly pounding on the thing and having his hammer manipulated. A GL ring has manipulated a wide spectrum of energies, and should be capable of dealing with magnetics. Even uber magnetics...

Rage.Of.Olympus
Good point.

The thing is, Thor proved he could absorb Magneto's shield, yet in later stories he's uselessly pounding on the thing and having his hammer manipulated. A GL ring has manipulated a wide spectrum of energies, and should be capable of dealing with magnetics. Even uber magnetics...

Okay and? Mjolnir has always been supreme in the energy absorption category.

Thor nearly always starts out fighting like a brick. All we saw was a single panel of Thor hitting Magneto's shield and in another instance get thrown back when Magneto in a burst of anger caused Mjolnir to fly away due to it's metallic nature. I don't see how that proves anything one way or another except Magneto has shown that he can manipulate unearthly objects not unlike say....Green Lantern Rings.

smile

Magneto has an excellent power set for fighting Green Lanterns. I've seen Dr. Light beat the shit out of Kyle while controlling his constructs because at their core, their still just light based constructs. I've seen Kyle's constructs turned against him even when he possessed the Ion entiy. Magneto has shown to manipulate a wide spectrum, including photons etc.

I've also seen Polaris literally prevent Hal Jordan from using his ring.

To top it all off, this is Guy Gardner. His going to rush in head first and guns blazing. He isn't going to resort to his versatility etc. early on at the very least. This plays directly to Magneto's strengths.

"Energy, Proteus. Just electrons, dancing."

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Stoic
I don't think that Magneto would win in this scenario, but if the battlefield had more metals, this would be a cakewalk for Magneto.

Guy ftw

Um, why would there need to be metal in the battle field for Magneto to take a win? Magneto has total control over electromagnetism... which... you know... encompasses pretty much everything in the universe...

confused

Magneto can control photons. Electromagnetism is the force that allows light to work. Theoretically Magneto would be able to take compete control of any light based construct.

Lord_Talron

Thor nearly always starts out fighting like a brick. All we saw was a single panel of Thor hitting Magneto's shield and in another instance get thrown back when Magneto in a burst of anger caused Mjolnir to fly away due to it's metallic nature. I don't see how that proves anything one way or another except Magneto has shown that he can manipulate unearthly objects not unlike say....Green Lantern Rings.

smile

Magneto has an excellent power set for fighting Green Lanterns. I've seen Dr. Light beat the shit out of Kyle while controlling his constructs because at their core, their still just light based constructs. I've seen Kyle's constructs turned against him even when he possessed the Ion entiy. Magneto has shown to manipulate a wide spectrum, including photons etc.

I've also seen Polaris literally prevent Hal Jordan from using his ring.

To top it all off, this is Guy Gardner. His going to rush in head first and guns blazing. He isn't going to resort to his versatility etc. early on at the very least. This plays directly to Magneto's strengths.

"Energy, Proteus. Just electrons, dancing." well said thumb up

Colossus-Big C
is magneto class 100?

Rage.Of.Olympus
It's feasible. His used his powers to augment his physical strength and durability in the past.

Now I"m in a "Magneto-esque" mode.

Maybe a new sig? mhmm

cdtm

And Thor not using his energy absorption capabilities is PIS, imo. wink

My point is that Thor, who proved he could EASILY deal with Magneto's tricks, had problems due to PIS. IMO, GL's are likewise dumbed down against Polaris.

MAYBE he can manipulate it. But it depends on what's in the metal. I mean, he's still limited by the same limits of magnetism. (When it comes to manipulating metals. I realize he also controls the em spectrum..)

Kyle took control of the light based entity that took control of his powers, too. Has Magneto ever messed with the character Photon (Monica), or any characters with light based constructs? (Quasar?)

Guys improved IMMENSELY since his early days. He's the one who masterminded the trowling net against the Black Lanterns, and thought of using the Sinestro Battery as a cosmic grenade against Anti Monitor.

Even in the Giffen era of the JLA, he was smart enough to put a ring bubble over Desperos head and cause his eyebeam to backfire on him, and then catapult him away into the ocean. (He was also idiotic enough to follow Despero and brawl with him, but I'm trying to show his good points here.. ^_^; )

And as for sheer versatility:

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/c1772a9d.jpg

If he could do that, what's to stop him from freezing someone in a moment of time, like Zemo did to Genis-Vell, or folding someone out of existence? (If not for the CIS rule.)

Rage.Of.Olympus
And Thor not using his energy absorption capabilities is PIS, imo. wink

My point is that Thor, who proved he could EASILY deal with Magneto's tricks, had problems due to PIS. IMO, GL's are likewise dumbed down against Polaris.

Meh. Thor fights like a brick often enough that isn't P.I.S. Just like Green Lantern resort to creating simple constructs in too many appearances for someone to scream P.I.S. when they don't resort to all their capable off.

MAYBE he can manipulate it. But it depends on what's in the metal. I mean, he's still limited by the same limits of magnetism. (When it comes to manipulating metals. I realize he also controls the em spectrum..)

Magneto's control over metallic objects both earth and non earth based plus the fact that electromagnetic based characters have manipulated Green Lantern rings leads me to believe that Magneto can do so.

Kyle took control of the light based entity that took control of his powers, too. Has Magneto ever messed with the character Photon (Monica), or any characters with light based constructs? (Quasar?)

I'm referring to the Ion scene where Tangent Flash takes control over his constructs.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/IonAtom1.jpg
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/IonAtom2.jpg

Unfortunately since she's also made out of light it's a two way street, so he was able to affect her internally with a blast or something similar. Unfortunately that isn't the case with Magneto.

He has apparently manipulated light as he was able to turn himself invisible when he infiltrated Attilan. He can also apparently control photons, bending them to his will and has enough control to the point it's could have been possible to knock out Dazzler, by turning her powers back on herself.

http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/MagnetoPhotons.jpg
http://i779.photobucket.com/albums/yy73/R-O-G/MagnetoPhotons2.jpg

It makes sense. It has been stated Magneto can control the entire electromagnetic spectrum. His manipulated everything from heat to gravity to sound.I've even seen him bend Cyclop's optic blasts in mid air.

When you have scenes like him punking the Phoenix with the bottle effect, him manipulating constructs won't be a big deal. There's also the recent Proteus scene. They've been many instances where Magneto manipulates exotic energies.

And interestingly enough Magneto has been able to affect Captain Marvel to some extent. His been able to tug at her using his powers. I believe it caused her to transform into her light form and she followed the tug back to Magneto or something similar. That's the closest I can recall Magneto affecting someone like Captain Marvel. His never encountered Quasar directly.

Guys improved IMMENSELY since his early days. He's the one who masterminded the trowling net against the Black Lanterns, and thought of using the Sinestro Battery as a cosmic grenade against Anti Monitor.

I'm not calling him an idiot but he is thick headed. No one can seriously argue that Guy isn't the most gun ho of the Earth Green Lanterns and rushes in guns blazing. It's been his undoing more than once.

Even in the Giffen era of the JLA, he was smart enough to put a ring bubble over Desperos head and cause his eyebeam to backfire on him, and then catapult him away into the ocean. (He was also idiotic enough to follow Despero and brawl with him, but I'm trying to show his good points here.. ^_^; )

I'm aware of said scene.

Don't worry, I'm not going to low ball Guy. I could if I want to...

mhmm

I've seen him try to physically tackle Black Adam. I'll be nice and only go so far. But you have to take into account all his showings just so you know.

And as for sheer versatility:

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Desaad/Hal%20Jordan/Hal%20Jordan2/c1772a9d.jpg

If he could do that, what's to stop him from freezing someone in a moment of time, like Zemo did to Genis-Vell, or folding someone out of existence? (If not for the CIS rule.)

I'm well aware of this feat.

Guy during this era was more competent and less oafish than the one most other people are familiar with. He has some other half decent showings under his belt. These kind of instances are the reason I hold Guy as high as I do in terms of Lantern status. More so than other people I've come to realize.

Just like you said, C.I.S. The feat that you just showed was the only time I recall Guy doing something like that. It's as likely as Thor destroying the souls/spirits of beings.

I'm not going to start arguing that Magneto is going to use his powers to control the iron in Guy's blood, preventing him from even moving, or Magneto creating a wormhole that sucks in Guy's head using his quicker than Northstar reflexes!

I could even argue that Magneto is going to use his high end level telepathy (**** you X-men Movies!) to bombard Guy's will while doing all of this. I'm not however. To be fair, the blood manipulation has been used many times and even beings like Hercules have felt the effects.

Magneto even for all his versatility doesn't work that way. He does however use his energy manipulation enough for it to be a viable and very likely tactic here.

Magnus takes it 7/10. I'm being generous here. I've always had a soft spot for all three Earth lanterns. Maybe it's because I've always hated Hal. Kyle's always been my favorite. His the Green Lantern I grew up with.

Next time, thumbnails please.

cdtm
Magneto has his options. I knew about the telepathy, but the photon manipulation is a new one.

Iron/blood manipulation and construct manipulation, I grant, can be a problem. Especially considering Mags is getting amping in this arena. At the least, you'd think a GL's aura/shields/auto defenses can offer some amount of protection, considering they've defended against exotic attacks like Sonar's assaults, Grodds telekinesis/telepathy, anti matter (Cosmic odyssey, for example) and the various radiations from deep space travel..

Magneto's powerful, but he's still going up against a herald leveler. Does 7/10 really sound generous against a great GL?

Or only against Guy? evil face (Not to say he's not good, but compared to, say, Kyle..)

Warlord
Hal would win sneer

Mshinu

Polaris did the "don`t punch yourself" thing to Kyle. wink

BruceSkywalker
Maybe Guy

Rage.Of.Olympus
Magneto has his options. I knew about the telepathy, but the photon manipulation is a new one.

Iron/blood manipulation and construct manipulation, I grant, can be a problem. Especially considering Mags is getting amping in this arena. At the least, you'd think a GL's aura/shields/auto defenses can offer some amount of protection, considering they've defended against exotic attacks like Sonar's assaults, Grodds telekinesis/telepathy, anti matter (Cosmic odyssey, for example) and the various radiations from deep space travel..

Magneto's powerful, but he's still going up against a herald leveler. Does 7/10 really sound generous against a great GL?

Or only against Guy? evil face (Not to say he's not good, but compared to, say, Kyle..)

I didn't say their game ending tactics, it should definitely be feasible that a Green Lantern should be able to defend themselves to some level but based on Polaris' and Dr. Light's encounters, I'd say manipulating the metal in the ring and the energy constructs would definitely be a plus. Magneto simply has a very good power set to go up against a Green Lantern.

What's that supposed to mean? Are you implying Magneto isn't a herald level character? Maybe currently in his weakened state he isn't but he is most definitely a herald level character when at full power. Magneto is a Top Tier.

Meh. I like Kyle the most and he has the best Green Lantern feats Post-Crisis without a doubt.

lightyeargee
Kyle is the best GL ever.

cdtm
I didn't say their game ending tactics, it should definitely be feasible that a Green Lantern should be able to defend themselves to some level but based on Polaris' and Dr. Light's encounters, I'd say manipulating the metal in the ring and the energy constructs would definitely be a plus. Magneto simply has a very good power set to go up against a Green Lantern.

What's that supposed to mean? Are you implying Magneto isn't a herald level character? Maybe currently in his weakened state he isn't but he is most definitely a herald level character when at full power. Magneto is a Top Tier.

Meh. I like Kyle the most and he has the best Green Lantern feats Post-Crisis without a doubt.

YES!

Even without Morrison, he has some impressive feats.

And of course, with Morrisons writing, he craps all over just about anyone.. Like bottling up a super nova and imprisoning the Crime Syndicates moon base in giant hands even Ultraman and Power Ring couldn't shatter in JLA: Earth 2.

Not to mention jamming the freakin Anti Life Equation on willpower alone in Rock of Ages. That even trumps Dr. Doom resisting The Purple Man.

Rage.Of.Olympus
YES!

Even without Morrison, he has some impressive feats.

And of course, with Morrisons writing, he craps all over just about anyone.. Like bottling up a super nova and imprisoning the Crime Syndicates moon base in giant hands even Ultraman and Power Ring couldn't shatter in JLA: Earth 2.

Not to mention jamming the freakin Anti Life Equation on willpower alone in Rock of Ages. That even trumps Dr. Doom resisting The Purple Man.

Oh, I'm well aware of all of Kyle's feats. Morrison's JLA was awesome. He gave Wally, Superman, Kyle, Batman, and even Martian Manhunter some of their greatest feats.

Imagine a Morrison written Thor....

131wank

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.