Wonder Woman Revamp?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RE: Blaxican
So I'm not sure how old this news is, but, I only just found out today while checking my mail.

So, opinions? Even better, I'm sure that a lot of you who go to other Comic sites know about this, care to shed some light on what's up?

Etc.

Another link

BruceSkywalker
i will let you know after i read the issue

Prof. Wagstaff
Fooling around with timeless characters always works.

Haha, yeah I could imagine that alot of people are feeling similar sentiments.

jalek moye
Love the new costume, not a fan of the backstory

srankmissingnin
She wore knee high boots, a one piece American flag bathing suit and a tiara. Some characters just needed to have their ridiculous costumes updated, and once Colossus got an a new costume, Wonder Woman was at the top of the list.

That being said this new design isn't that great. I think she should lose the choker and the leather jacket, the red corset and black pants would look good on their own. Still it looked better in the issue that ugly Michael Turner-esq concept drawing.

Personally, I like the jacket, but I'm not feelin' the pants, choker, or the shoes. The pants don't even look like pants, it looks like she's wearing leather tubing, and as for the shoes... they don't even look like shoes. They look like slippers or medical scrubs or something. Those things can't be comfortable to wear.

The choker just plain looks dumb. I've always found chokers to be an idiotic accessory though.

Konton
I really hope this is temporary.

They're not just reconstructing her costume (which is freaking HISTORICAL), JMS is reconstructing Wonder Woman continuity and completely erasing the character's history as we know it. "Urbanizing" a mystical character like this is... uh... unsettling.

Ms.Marvel
i like the outfit change. **** "historical" imo. time moves on... and she does look ridiculous in the star spangled bikini. im glad theyre making her look more practical

jalek moye
The whole changing her story and everything about her history is pretty stupid and i don't really see the point.

willRules
I think it looks pretty good. There has always been violent undertones to her character and this new look makes her look slightly more aggressive as a character. Ironic for the ambassador of peace.

I'm all for change when it comes to Wonder Woman. Nobody (besides Gail Simone) seems able to write her, despite the fact she has such a rich mythology. She should be a writer's dream and she deserves better. Maybe this will justify her place on the trinity.

Plus I highly doubt they will retcon the Greek myth angles. There is unlimited story potential there. Greco-Romanic mythology is the origin of the Superhero.

ares834
Are you kidding me? What are they going to chage Superman costume now? God, her old costume was far superior. The background story isn't bad though...

Konton
Her old costume had such a history to it though.

It wasn't supposed to make her "blend in" with the real world. That costume was specifically designed by the Amazons to make the wearer a symbol for her people. I just have huge hang-ups with changing her story so dramatically. He's basically saying that there aren't any new stories to tell with her current background and because of this he's going to get RID of it. dumb

Darth Martin
What the hell was wrong with her old costume? Draw it correctly and there wouldn't be an issue.

http://comicculturewarrior.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/wonder-woman1.jpg

Darth Vicious
I like the costume even though it doesnt scream Wonder Woman. Its just a temporary thing like all other revamped new costumes. I think the new costume wouldve been better on Wonder Girl.

Starscream M
I like it. I always thought her costume looked ridiculous.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/179740/WONDER-WOMAN.jpg

srankmissingnin
I largely imagine this has something to do with DC wanting to put down ground work for a potential Wonder Woman movie. Wonder Woman's standard costume is a hard pretty hard sell because... well its pretty absurd and ridiculous. This way they can update the costume for a movie adaption with a precedent in place and say "Well... it is the current Wonder Woman costume," to the tens of protesting fanboys.

Even Linda Carter looked kinda stupid in the Wonder Woman outfit, and she could pull that off that American Flag onepiece better that any woman ever in the history of mankind.

Mindship
The backstory seems a tad Supermanish: a special child is forced to leave his/her decimated homeland to be raised by humans in human society.

The costume...well, if a live-action movie is the impetus, no wonder they want change. Wonder Woman is coming up against what male superheroes have had to deal with: in live-action, spandex on men and skimpies on women make it difficult to take the superpowered being seriously (though a good script helps). Even movie Wolverine knew better than to wear yellow spandex.

willRules
I love how people react to this.

Apparently, not only will she never wear her old costume again, ever, but also menacing guys from the DC offices are coming round all your houses to erase any evidence of Wonder Woman's history.

Oh and Diana's getting a sex change.

Bentley
She should wear a long skirt.

-K-M-
Hmmmm....

http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/superboyfirstcostume.jpg

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Konton
Her old costume had such a history to it though.

It wasn't supposed to make her "blend in" with the real world. That costume was specifically designed by the Amazons to make the wearer a symbol for her people. I just have huge hang-ups with changing her story so dramatically. He's basically saying that there aren't any new stories to tell with her current background and because of this he's going to get RID of it. dumb pretty sure the costume wasnt designed for her to represent her ppl but the world specifically the united states as an ally and friend, that she was visiting or living in.

I hope it wasn't designed to symbolize her people. A skin tight ass and crotch showing star spangled banner bikini does not send a good message, certainty not a serious one.

Wild Shadow
it wasnt. reading

willRules
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I hope it wasn't designed to symbolize her people. A skin tight ass and crotch showing star spangled banner bikini does not send a good message, certainty not a serious one.

laughing

Nothing says you represent international relations than the American flag draped over a semi naked chick. roll eyes (sarcastic)

roughrider
Originally posted by -K-M-
Hmmmm....

http://blog.newsarama.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/superboyfirstcostume.jpg

That's what I was thinking - early 1990's Connor Kent!

People still excited for JMS & his run on her?

They should have followed Thor's recent example & gone the OPPOSITE way - more traditional old world armour; not urban hipster! thumb down

(Of course, that rolled up jacket look didn't work out for her in the 1990's either...)

basilisk
The old WW costume is certainly difficult to sell for a movie, but for the comics it looked fine, and given that it doesn't really follow any fashion or trend it is actually kind of timeless.

To be honest this 'revamp' costume is trying too hard, and frankly it looks dated after just a week. I mean if this was the 90's something like that might fit in better but the 90's are long gone. I don't see the costume lasting as long as the old one. It's just a matter of time before it goes.

As for the backstory, I guess they are finally just throwing in the towel and saying the character is kind of crap - change the costume, change the setting, change the cast, change the powers, go back in time and change the character's long standing history. But sadly they have a point - nobody seems to write the character particularly well, they have to keep giving her extra powers to try to boost interest, and she doesn't have great villains or story arcs. Her personality is limited by the fact that they didn't want her to have any real faults or weaknesses. Even her sort of feminist outlook is dated and doesn't have much relevance in an era where comics are full of "tough, determined, smart" and powerful female characters. Every team comic has at least one of those. And "tragic"? Who needs yet another tragic character? Borrowing Supe's background isn't going to help.

On the other hand, from the description JMS has wisely left a way open for a retcon if things don't work out.

roughrider
Welcome to DC World.
People may complain about how Marvel throws constant extras on the background histories of their characters, but at DC they have been constantly pressing the restart button on characters since COIE in 1985.
It seems only Batman's history is sacred.

roughrider
...So far, our friend Draco is silent... shifty

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Wild Shadow
pretty sure the costume wasnt designed for her to represent her ppl but the world specifically the united states as an ally and friend, that she was visiting or living in.

Steve Trevor's mom died helping the Amazons so they adapted the American flag on her jacket into their civilization to honor her... unless that has been retcon'd.

Doctor-Alvis
If this was for the purposes of a live action movie, I think Wonder Woman's costume is recognizable enough that they should have done more to keep it in the same tone as the original costume.

-K-M-
Originally posted by -K-M-
Hmmmm....

Ha! They even used the same image of Superboy

http://www.lilformers.com/index.php/2010/07/05/lil-formers-195-wonder-woman/

psycho gundam
we're talking about wonder woman, any pres is good pres

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.