Rule suggestion: Spiritual nonequivalence

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Astner
In some outside forums there's a commonly known and accepted rule known as "Energy equivalence" which--though a misnomer--basically suggested that all spiritual powers (chakra, chi, magic, reiatsu, etc.) should be interchangeable. The main benefit of this is that it's easy to understand, characters will be more versatile and it's "fair". However, the problem is. It doesn't work.

If you were to argue with your friend that Uchiha Itachi from Naruto would defeat Uryū Ishida from Bleach, through genjutsu and he in turn would bring up that the mechanics of genjutsu are designed that it could only affect characters with a chakra-based nervous system that argument is efficiently refuted.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3479/namnlst.jpg

Of course there are even more absurd examples such as: "Neji Hyuga would cut off Kenpachi Zaraki's chakra system."

To try to counter by saying that it's unfair is to commit the is-ought problem fallacy.

Does this mean that genjutsu is worthless? No. Characters with chakra-based nervous systems--namely characters from Naruto--would still be affected with it. This would somewhat abstract power-scaling, but if you're well versed with said fictions it shouldn't be more of a problem than understanding the concept of rock-paper-scissors. Or if preferred:
Bulbasaur > Squirtle
Squirtle > Charmander
Charmander > Bulbasaur

But there are more problem than that with "Energy equivalence", since the reasoning doesn't even hold within certain works of fiction. Mainly fictions with more than one type of spiritual power, for instance Bleach as of recent.

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/4743/26033355.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9693/49595793.jpg

If the Koutotsu (arresting projection) is immune--or at least heavily resistant--to reiatsu no spiritual force of the presented caliber should be able to hard or even faze it. The outcome proved to differ.

The benefits of this system would be more accurate and detailed outcomes since more variables are taken into account.

Please contribute with arguments and votes.

Q99
One issue is often the power is omni-present- in Naruto, not everything uses chakra in a developed sense, but every living thing has chakra (as seen in the explanations of nature chakra where even plants have it, plus we know it's origin is just physical+spiritual power).

Stuff like Neji cutting off Kenpachi's chakra system should be useless in a crossover- after all, Kenpachi doesn't use a chakra system so it doesn't affect his strength even if it's cut off, but genjutsu is trickier since I don't think it requires the target to have developed chakra, just be a living thing with normal 'chakra'.

I would not think they're totally equivalent- Preta Path Pain should not be able to absorb spiritual powers because it's different, nor should an ability that counters an attack's reiatsu work on a jutsu, but I would generally assume that universal stuff is universal and that a soul reaper could sense "hey, that's a living being."

To use the force from Star Wars as an example, if you plopped these characters into SW they'd register as normal beings in the force with a great unrelated power, they wouldn't be like the Vong or Exile and wouldn't be cut off from it, but they also wouldn't be able to use their powers to do anything that needs the Force specifically to do (Aizen couldn't power the Star Forge).

Astner

Q99

Astner
Originally posted by Q99
The point is, undeveloped chakra that's universal to all life. Plants have it.
In said reality.

Originally posted by Q99
And don't forget the other half of chakra- physical energy. Half of chakra is manipulating physical energy.
Each of which are vague and undefined. The spiritual energy in Bleach isn't the same as in Naruto.

Originally posted by Q99
Anything that relies on the target having developed chakra like ninja do should fail. Like Neji's chakra blocking attack or Orochimaru placing a seal on someone. But anything where the requirement is "be alive" works.
Assme we accepted this and give--say--Goku chakra, then we have to deal with the following questions: "How much chakra does Goku have?", "How well can he control it?", etc. There is no reason for doing this. If anything it complicates the situation. Who decides whether or not Goku should have the chakra of a normal human, or more than the combined collective of bijuu (tailed beasts)?

Originally posted by Q99
Let's use Uryu instead- Uryu's a human, genjutsu works on humans with no ninja powers, genjutsu should work on him unless he can snap himself out.

A soul reaper in a gigai.
The difference is that humans in Naruto have chakra, just like the bugs and plants.

Originally posted by Q99
But if we go based on "we should assume stuff doesn't work unless otherwise proven," where do we stop there? Is absolutely everyone not from Bleach immune to Szayel's copy-power because it copies a target's spiritual body?
Of course. It's a in-universe ability. If your intent is to test the efficiency of that ability under different circumstances, you'd simply have to specify it. You wouldn't think it would work on a machine, would you?

Originally posted by Q99
I think the rule should be "abilities work as normal." That is, we don't assume any special properties or interactions beyond what's shown, but we don't go out of our way to assume fairly universal stuff doesn't work. Neither gimping or boosting abilities.

If a power works on "all humans" or "all living things" or "all matter" then it should work on humans, living things, or matter from different universes if you ask me.
The problem with this is that there is no reason to accept this. You're not going to give the terminator a soul because everything in Naruto has a soul.

Bentley
I think the rule is awful, according to you uber defenses against something (let's say magic) are not equivalent from one universe from another because its "different magic". It may hold true in "crossovers" or in fiction itself, but its a worthless and retrograd rule in VS forums.

King Kandy
This rule would suck. It makes it nigh-impossible to actually compare characters, and renders certain universes unfairly advantaged against others.

Q99
Originally posted by Astner

Assme we accepted this and give--say--Goku chakra, then we have to deal with the following questions: "How much chakra does Goku have?", "How well can he control it?", etc. There is no reason for doing this. If anything it complicates the situation. Who decides whether or not Goku should have the chakra of a normal human, or more than the combined collective of bijuu (tailed beasts)?

He would have the amount of a being that didn't use chakra, the default, and he would have no control at all because he doesn't use chakra.

Likewise, a Naruto ninja would have the chi of someone who didn't use chi like a schlub on the street because the ninja doesn't use chi.

No special advantages, no special immunities, no special disadvantages. If something is assumed the property of all life, then all life has it as the default level.

That strikes me as a lousy way to do it. You're just making it so that a whole ton of abilities can't be debated period. You wouldn't be able to debate Szayel at all, just a gimped version of him.

And to state the obvious, all abilities are in-universe abilities.

No, because we've only seen it work on people, but I would think it'd work on a human.

That's a poor example because the Terminator's a machine (and I guess it's flesh-covering would have as much as a non-sapient life form, which haven't been shown to have souls and it'd hardly matter either way).

I am giving John Conner a soul because by the default assumptions of the crossover, all humans have souls, on the other hand.

My rule would be "everything works as normal unless we have a reason to think it wouldn't." If a type of power is only available to some the people in a setting, then anyone outside can be assumed not to have it, but if something works on every human in-universe, it'd work on humans outside that verse.

draxx_tOfU
this lack of spiritual power thingy is just one of the many reasons why I consider One Piece the top shounen manga...

compared to Naruto and Ichigo, Luffy's fights are determined more by ingenuity, raw physicality, and sheer force of will, as opposed to obscure power-ups, transformations, chakra reserves etc...

Q99
Originally posted by draxx_tOfU
this lack of spiritual power thingy is just one of the many reasons why I consider One Piece the top shounen manga...

compared to Naruto and Ichigo, Luffy's fights are determined more by ingenuity, raw physicality, and sheer force of will, as opposed to obscure power-ups, transformations, chakra reserves etc...

Naruto fights are often decided by trickery and deception, and using a wide range of abilities properly.

One Piece, often creative uses of a very small but strong power set. Endurance is often a major factor. You get the odd powerup-mode too, like the gears or Chopper's rumble balls, which fill a similar role to cursed seals or sage mode.

I'm not sure if I'd consider either 'better,' both produce some really nice fights. Oda definitely is good at packing emotional content into his, though if neither fighter possesses particularly unusual powers the fight itself can be less interesting if it bogs down (Lucci vs Luffy, for example). I like how the Naruto fighters change things up a lot.

draxx_tOfU
I respect your opinion...

Another difference is the way Oda and Kishi present their fights. A good example is Sasuke vs Danzo. Their new zomg no jutsus left me rolling my eyes more than appreciating it, in contrast to say Zoro's asura mode or to a lesser extent Sanji's diable jambe, both are over the top but comes out amusing yet beastly...

I still like all three top shounen btw, I just consider One Piece slightly above both...

dadudemon
Chakra is physical energy and spiritual energy.

So, in the Bleach Universe, they are just a being with spiritual energy. They can be harmed by corporeal beings such as Chad and Ishida, though.

You can nit-pick at the words used, but not the definitions.

A shinigami has "chakra", it's just only one type of the two types of chakra naturally present in life-forms.

In that sense, you could say that the average Shinigami would have half the spiritual energy, aka chakra, as a living being from Naruto. smile

But, yeah, any attacks that specifically affect the living tissues would not work on a Shinigami unless it was a direct attack.I have doubts that genjutus would work sense it is essentially a 'energy to the brain' attack...but Shinigamis have spiritual brains, right?

Q99
Yes, they have a full set of organs. Drugs affect the brain, you have a spiritual liver, yadda yadda.

And yea, anything that specifically affected living tissues wouldn't work (plenty of 'death fields' around in fiction).

Astner
In Bleach your spiritual body adjust to your corporeal frame, hence the organs and whatnot--mainly because it would be ridiculous to have some organs like eyes, while ignoring for instance: intestines--but the spiritual body do have other properties.

The purpose of the spiritual nonequivalence system is to enforce non-bias arguments and make people adhere to facts presented in the source material, unless specifications are made in the opening thread.

Now according to this system there are two types of abilities, regular and in-universal. In-universal abilities are such that they rely on a specific mechanic manipulating a trait that only exist in that fiction. In direct use against an opponent, it's worthless. A rule of thumb for regular abilities could be "what's calculable" through the application of physics.

I'm not sure whether or not people reject this because they feel threaten that everything they know of forum battles won't go accordingly. However in terms of source application, this method is superior and far more accurate than anything else I've concluded or come across.

Q99
I don't think it does enforce non-bias though. It gimps some systems much more than others. Some systems fall way more into what you call in-universe abilities than others.

'Things work as normal' is a much more non-biased way of doing it because it won't shut down a lot of powers off the bat.

I don't think that's the problem people are having with it. It strikes me as simply making a lot of things harder to debate.

Astner
Originally posted by Q99
'Things work as normal' is a much more non-biased way of doing it because it won't shut down a lot of powers off the bat.
If you by "normal" mean ignoring certain segments of the source material because it's prettier or fairer in your mind, then no.

It's not that it "shut down a lot of powers" either, because those powers aren't efficient in the given circumstance to begin.

Endless Mike
Rukia's level 1 binding kido can beat anyone now since they don't have Bleach reiatsu. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stop trying to ruin the forum with your trolling.

Q99
Originally posted by Astner
If you by "normal" mean ignoring certain segments of the source material because it's prettier or fairer in your mind, then no.

If a versus is between combatants A and B, and B isn't allowed to use their powers, then we are not debating about the combat capabilities B has shown at all.

Fairness, keep in mind, often translates into "able to argue about in the first place." Your way is strait forward, but what's the point of a strait forward rule for versus battles that makes it hard to do versus battles?

It's not any more logical than equivalence or normal-unless-we-have-reason-to-believe-otherwise; any way of doing it is equally arbitrary, there's no existing baseline for crossovers. So fairness is what we've got to decide on.

If an ability works on all humans in-universe, then it's circumstance is that it works on humans of other reasons unless we have a specific reason to say otherwise.

Working as normal means that they'd work as they normally do in that circumstance- if you can sense a human from Star Wars in the force, then you can sense a human from Star Trek as well, because it's an ability that works in the circumstance of sensing humans.

Working with total nonequivalence means Jedi can't sense anyone not from SW in the force because other universes don't have the force, so you cannot debate a Jedi with those abilities against anyone out of universe at all.

Do you really think the latter is the stance we should take?

Astner
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Rukia's level 1 binding kido can beat anyone now since they don't have Bleach reiatsu. roll eyes (sarcastic)
If Rukia successfully manages to cast Sai, which requires the somatic action of locking the foe's arm behind his back followed by the uttering of the name of the spell, then yes. The spell will lock the opponent's body for the few minutes or so it's active. Otherwise you ignore the source material.

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Stop trying to ruin the forum with your trolling.
You're the one to talk.

Originally posted by Q99
If a versus is between combatants A and B, and B isn't allowed to use their powers, then we are not debating about the combat capabilities B has shown at all.
They're not prohibited to use their abilities, it's a question of whether or not they will be efficient. Itachi won't be able to put Goku in a coma with his genjutsu not because he isn't fast enough, but because of its mechanics.

Originally posted by Q99
Fairness, keep in mind, often translates into "able to argue about , in the first place." Your way is strait forward, but what's the point of a strait forward rule for versus battles that makes it hard to do versus battles?
It's actually not that difficult. More importantly it prevents double standards such as the effectiveness of genjutsu and the ineffectiveness of Neji's Eight trigrams sixty-four palms.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/5651/namnlsj.jpg

Originally posted by Q99
It's not any more logical than equivalence or normal-unless-we-have-reason-to-believe-otherwise; any way of doing it is equally arbitrary, there's no existing baseline for crossovers. So fairness is what we've got to decide on.
It's actually less logical than to keep the main focus on the source material, the reason it's difficult is because you have to take a completely new facet into consideration. The purpose of spiritual nonequivalence is to avoid unnecessary and stupid generalizations, much like analytical mechanics compared to classical mechanics in the field of physics. But you're right, the system of debating depends on the preference of the members, hence the title "Rule suggestion-".

Originally posted by Q99
If an ability works on all humans in-universe, then it's circumstance is that it works on humans of other reasons unless we have a specific reason to say otherwise.
The problem with this is that you'll have to ignore the function of certain abilities, not to mention it's on a case-to-case basis leaving room for subjectiveness and bias.

Originally posted by Q99
Working as normal means that they'd work as they normally do in that circumstance- if you can sense a human from Star Wars in the force, then you can sense a human from Star Trek as well, because it's an ability that works in the circumstance of sensing humans.
Humans in Star Wars are partially sustained by midichlorians, of course this example is tailored to fit your cause. Take characters from the Matrix with a port, to some degree they're always connected to the Matrix that's why Neo could dispatch of three squids outside of the Matrix and Smith could possess Bane.

Originally posted by Q99
Working with total nonequivalence means Jedi can't sense anyone not from SW in the force because other universes don't have the force, so you cannot debate a Jedi with those abilities against anyone out of universe at all.
No, jedi can't sense people without midichlorians but on the other hand shinobi from Naruto can't sense people without chakra and shinigami from Bleach can't sense people without reiatsu. This is because they don't sense people, they sense the force, chakra and reiatsu. If you specifically want to add the ability to sense people so they could use their powers to its full potential, then you would have to specify it.

Originally posted by Q99
Do you really think the latter is the stance we should take?
Yes, because it's informative (to people who haven't watched Star Wars) and it's based off the source material.

King Kandy
Most threads in this forum are bleach and naruto... huge handicaps are being given to both so really this rule would do nothing but make most discussion untenable.

Bentley
Originally posted by King Kandy
Most threads in this forum are bleach and naruto... huge handicaps are being given to both so really this rule would do nothing but make most discussion untenable.

This rule would be awful in every level and most of all it would alienate even more mangas that are already unknown as it is.

Endless Mike
Rukai casts it on Goku or Seiya. They obviously have a ****ton more power than her or beginning of series Ichigo, so how does it make sense that they wouldn't be able to break it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.