Superman IV sucked because money went to another bad movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
Its kind of widely known that the movie was released unfinished.

Thats why the fx look like ass.

Most of you know that the Golan Globus people who made it were originally given like $35 or 40 million to make it and instead made it for like $17 million and use that on othe rmovies.

Well I was looking some trivia today on IMDB and I guess the "other" movie they used that money on was Masters of the Universe

Funny, both movies that had potential turned out to be lame missed opportunities.

steverules_2
Masters of the universe....what a loada ass that movie was glare I dunno which of the 2 was worse....MOTU probably...for me anyways

ChocolateCake
Superman IV also suffered from a bad plot as well.

steverules_2
Even if it had better graphics and stuff it still woulda sucked

Alpha-7
Superman IV suffered from the moment the idea was considered. They didn't have the money to make a decent picture and the storyline was not worthy in my opinion.

Sadako of Girth
I concur. It was supershit.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by steverules_2
Masters of the universe....what a loada ass that movie was glare I dunno which of the 2 was worse....MOTU probably...for me anyways

MATU was as big as a let down for an 8 year old as you can get.
I watched the movie recently with commentary and all the director talks about is budget this and budget that.

I don't mind when franchises go from comic to movie or cartoon to movie or book to movie. Creative liberties are expected, but as long as the spirit is there, its really all good.

As many creative liberties as they took ( and it was surprisingly a lot), I didn't mind some. He-man and company looking different than there cartoon counter parts wasn't that big of a deal. The worse, and most obvious one was having 90% of the whole movie set on earth. Lame, cliche, and just a cop out.

Lucas made Star Wars for less than what they made this thing for. So no excuses.

Only two sets were contructed set on eternia. The Throne room and gwildors house. Castle greyskulls exterior wasn't even a model, it was just a matte painting.

Badabing
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070424103851/superman/images/1/14/250px-NuclearMan2.jpg

Endless Mike
Even with better looking effects it would still be a shitty movie.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/12918-sup4

-Pr-
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
MATU was as big as a let down for an 8 year old as you can get.
I watched the movie recently with commentary and all the director talks about is budget this and budget that.

I don't mind when franchises go from comic to movie or cartoon to movie or book to movie. Creative liberties are expected, but as long as the spirit is there, its really all good.

As many creative liberties as they took ( and it was surprisingly a lot), I didn't mind some. He-man and company looking different than there cartoon counter parts wasn't that big of a deal. The worse, and most obvious one was having 90% of the whole movie set on earth. Lame, cliche, and just a cop out.

Lucas made Star Wars for less than what they made this thing for. So no excuses.

Only two sets were contructed set on eternia. The Throne room and gwildors house. Castle greyskulls exterior wasn't even a model, it was just a matte painting.

you do realise that there was a giant reason for that? namely, them not having all the rights and the director making an homage to jack kirby's work?

i love the movie, personally...

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Even with better looking effects it would still be a shitty movie.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/12918-sup4

oh wow. that reviewer has the most annoying, grating voice on the face of the earth

Warlord
Originally posted by Badabing
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070424103851/superman/images/1/14/250px-NuclearMan2.jpg

the sentry?

Badabing
Originally posted by Warlord
the sentry? laughing out loud

I used to post that pic in Sentry threads. It's Nuclear Man from Superman IV.

Warlord
laughing out loud

I used to post that pic in Sentry threads. It's Nuclear Man from Superman IV.

hmmm...seems like the "million-exploding sun man" to me wink

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Ms.Marvel
oh wow. that reviewer has the most annoying, grating voice on the face of the earth

Which one?

roughrider

Most of you know that the Golan Globus people who made it were originally given like $35 or 40 million to make it and instead made it for like $17 million and use that on othe rmovies.

Well I was looking some trivia today on IMDB and I guess the "other" movie they used that money on was Masters of the Universe

Funny, both movies that had potential turned out to be lame missed opportunities.

Golan-Globus...blah. Shlock producers of the 1980's with barely a credible film in their filmography (Runaway Train is one.)

Only thing worse then Jewish film producers are Israeli film producers, creating copper wire everywhere the way they stretch those pennies. big grin

(Waits for the Zionists to stampede my house...)

tmiller2
I'm still dreading to see Superman IV.

I've seen a clip of when he was fighting nuclear man and still can't get the image out of mind head. It was absolutely horrible!!

I hope they no longer print copies of the movie.

roughrider
Every time I see some clips I turn the channel. That, and Batman & Robin, are just something I can't stomach.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ChocolateCake
Superman IV also suffered from a bad plot as well.

so very true.

The Power
Sadly everyone but Reeve knew that this film was a mistake and a lot of them only agreed to do it for him. The story was very week and the effects were just laughable. It saddens me when I think that this was the last time Reeve played the role.

Galan007
As cheesy as "Nuclear Man" was, I actually think that he could make a very good/interesting foe if he were placed in a newer Superman flick.

The Power
Originally posted by Galan007
As cheesy as "Nuclear Man" was, I actually think that he could make a very good/interesting foe if he were placed in a newer Superman flick.

I wouldn't be apposed to seeing him back.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Galan007

Only if he got a serious reboot on his origin, and a much better costume.

ChocolateCake
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Only if he got a serious reboot on his origin, and a much better costume.

They would have to come up with a better back story. I never liked the fact that Lex created him.

Sadako of Girth
Holy shit they wanna start thinking about a serious reboot for Superman...
Cause lets face it: Superman IV was still better than SR.....

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

In no way was Superman IV better than Returns.

Sadako of Girth
Sure. Hyperbole.

Yet they are pretty even on the "how-enjoyable-a-movie-they-are' scales.

Both were pretty vacuous experiences, both over hyped at the time of it's release, but then revealed by the cruel passage of time to be in fact shit.
Self indulgant, navel gazing tripe for the most part with both movies.
Stupid over laboured Jesus parallels and hamfisted christian symbolism made SR suck that little bit harder. Not to mention Routh being a dull Superman

At least Superman IV had the excuse of being an incomplete movie... smile

Impediment
Maybe if another villain, besides Lex F*cking Luthor, from the gallery of, literally, dozens of rogues Superman has was chosen, the next Superman flick would not suck ass.

Metallo, Brainiac, Mongul, Darkseid, Doomsday, Bizzaro, Lobo, Mxyzptlk, Parasite,...................need I go on?

Alpha-7
Originally posted by Impediment
Maybe if another villain, besides Lex F*cking Luthor, from the gallery of, literally, dozens of rogues Superman has was chosen, the next Superman flick would not suck ass.

Metallo, Brainiac, Mongul, Darkseid, Doomsday, Bizzaro, Lobo, Mxyzptlk, Parasite,...................need I go on?

Very true, It is about time Luthor was put on the sidelines for one of the other villains.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Alpha-7
Very true, It is about time Luthor was put on the sidelines for one of the other villains.

Adam_PoE

Both Masters of the Universe and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace were produced by Cannon Films in association with Golan-Globus in 1987.

In his autobiography, Still Me, Christopher Reeve describes working with Golan-Globus and Cannon Films on Superman IV: The Quest for Peace as "a catastrophe from start to finish."

"We were also hampered by budget constraints and cutbacks in all departments. Cannon Films had nearly thirty projects in the works at the time, and Superman IV received no special consideration. For example, Konner and Rosenthal wrote a scene in which Superman lands on 42nd Street and walks down the double yellow lines to the United Nations, where he gives a speech. If that had been a scene in Superman I, we would actually have shot it on 42nd Street. Donner would have choreographed hundreds of pedestrians and vehicles and cut to people gawking out of office windows at the sight of Superman walking down the street like the Pied Piper. Instead, we had to shoot at an industrial park in England in the rain with about a hundred extras, not a car in sight, and a dozen pigeons thrown in for atmosphere. Even if the story had been brilliant, I don't think that we could ever have lived up to the audience's expectations with this approach."

In the DVD commentary for Superman IV: The Quest for Peace, writer Mark Rosenthal lists this scene as an example of the budget slashing of Golan-Globus and Cannon Films. According to Rosenthal, director Sidney J. Furie and writer Christopher Reeve begged to film this sequence in front of the United Nations building as audiences who are familiar with the appearance of the United Nations building would recognize the England location as a fake. Golan-Globus and Cannon Films refused. According to Rosenthal, they were "pinching pennies at every step."

According to actor Jon Cryer, Golan-Globus and Cannon Films had run out of funds five months earlier, ultimately releasing an unfinished film. This is consistent with the novelization of the film which represents a more complete version of the story. When compared to the film, it appears as if whole parts of the story are summarily torn out.

Additionally, despite having produced 43 films and its stock increasing one-hundred-fold the previous year, Golan-Globus and Cannon Films declared bankruptcy in 1987. An investigation by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission found that Golan-Globus and Cannon Films had fraudulently mis-stated their financial reports. In 1988, Cannon Films was purchased by Giancarlo Parretti and Pathe Communications. Citing differences with Yoram Globus and Giancarlo Parretti, Menahem Golan resigned from Cannon Films the following year. Cannon Films dissolved three years later, after the pair was convicted of evidence tampering and fled the United States before sentencing.

In short, funds were not diverted from Superman IV to Masters of the Universe. Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus embezzled funds from both films and fled the country.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth

Holy sh1t!!! are you kidding? superman IV was total crap and superman returns was only slightly better. the only thing good about superman returns was when he stopped the plane in the baseball field. that's it!!!
At least Nolands superman will disregard superman returns.

zeel

hey look its the sentry!

SquallX
One of the things i find horrendous in returns was the kid.

I mean how much of a **** was Lois. The kid was Clark's, yet she made the other guy believed he was his. That meant she had to slept with Richards about a week, two weeks gives or takes to make him believe the child's his.

What about the fact that Luthor stoled the crystals.

En Sabah Nur X
Originally posted by SquallX
One of the things i find horrendous in returns was the kid.

I mean how much of a **** was Lois. The kid was Clark's, yet she made the other guy believed he was his. That meant she had to slept with Richards about a week, two weeks gives or takes to make him believe the child's his.

What about the fact that Luthor stoled the crystals.

The stealing of the crystals, was like a hit to the nuts, completely bollocks that the legacy of krypton is lost via greed.

StephenJondrew

Wow. I didn't know this. We did an arc on Superman on the podcast I do and I actually got flack for this, but I actually liked Superman 4 better than 3. I felt like Superman 3 was jumping all over the place and Superman 4 which just easier to concentrate on what was happening.

the ninjak
Superman IV was awesome!

SquallX
Originally posted by the ninjak
Superman IV was awesome!

I respect you're opinion.

GRIMNIR
Superman 2 has always been my favourite

When I was a kid I always used to call Zod and his buddies the black baddies laughing

StephenJondrew
Originally posted by GRIMNIR

When I was a kid I always used to call Zod and his buddies the black baddies laughing

Zod is great. Such an appealing villian and how can you not like "Kneel before Zod!!!!!!" SO POWERFUL big grin

SquallX
Originally posted by GRIMNIR

Part 2 was only good because Richer Donner was filming it, at the same time he was filming part 1.

Even when you watch it, you could tell which were filmed by Donner, and which was filmed by the other guy.

Kneel before Zod bitches. laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.