Lingua Franca Nova

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lil bitchiness
Lingua Franca Nova is an auxiliary language created with an intent to be used as sort of ''international'' language.

Obviously it hasn't taken off well (yet) and it's made of largely romance languages and it is supposed to be easier in it's grammar and pronunciation.

Example of wikia's article on Le Petit Prinse in LFN - http://lfn.wikia.com/wiki/La_prinse_peti

Do you think we should have an international language that everyone uses? Most used internationally would be English, but should that change? Should we have one international language, such as LFN to communicate with everyone and make it part of an obligatory curriculum in schools everywhere?

Thoughts?

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Lingua Franca Nova is an auxiliary language created with an intent to be used as sort of ''international'' language.

Obviously it hasn't taken off well (yet) and it's made of largely romance languages and it is supposed to be easier in it's grammar and pronunciation.

Example of wikia's article on Le Petit Prinse in LFN - http://lfn.wikia.com/wiki/La_prinse_peti

Do you think we should have an international language that everyone uses? Most used internationally would be English, but should that change? Should we have one international language, such as LFN to communicate with everyone and make it part of an obligatory curriculum in schools everywhere?

Thoughts? I don't think those artificial languages have good chances of succeeding globally.

How did you come to mention LFN, though, wouldn't Esperanto be a much more successful and famous example?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Bardock42
I don't think those artificial languages have good chances of succeeding globally.

How did you come to mention LFN, though, wouldn't Esperanto be a much more successful and famous example?

This came up in a conversation (conversation on how good would official Franglish be)- I found this one would be better example because it is made up entirely of Latin languages - it's like phonetically spelt French in a lot of places.

I'm not sure this would succeed either, although the idea is good.

Bardock42
This came up in a conversation (conversation on how good would official Franglish be)- I found this one would be better example because it is made up entirely of Latin languages - it's like phonetically spelt French in a lot of places.

I'm not sure this would succeed either, although the idea is good.

I do really like the idea of those artificial languages, but they always favour some languages over another. The most famous ones are definitely strongly Latin influenced, and considering that English is already incredibly successful I see little reason not to teach that instead. It also is rather unfair to speakers of different languages.

If I should be able to finish my Japanese and Spanish studies I do consider looking into Esperanto purely for sport though, cause I do like the idea very much, and i think it might actually be somewhat useful as it has a decent community scattered over many places, in fact my 80 000 people town has a group of Esperantists.

I imagine it like a sort of rotary club with its own language, haha.

Amazing Vrayo!!

Thoughts? I'm only decent in spanish, and this is easy for me to understand. I don't think that english should be THE international language, simply because there are so many grammatical exceptions, and strange spellings. It would be better to use a romance language because they are so much more systematic.

jaden101
I think that the evolution of language towards more of a single one will occur naturally anyway now that the world is a "smaller" place. I do find it fascinating watching people who are fluent in 2 languages seamlessly switching between one and the other while conversing.

I think the universal language will eventually be based predominantly around English but some of the written rules will be replaced with the romance language equivalents as written English is apparently an extremely difficult language to learn in comparison to many others because of the parity with the spoken versions of the words and the amount of exceptions to the rules.

I can see there being a single spoken language but replacing written language would be much more difficult globally...Due to many languages being symbol based rather than phonetic/alphabetical.

Quiero Mota
artificial languages

Aren't they all?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Aren't they all?

He means "constructed languages", a term that refers to deliberately designed languages rather than ones that evolved over a long period of time to become what they are.

Bardock42
Aren't they all?

Very philosophical. I shall refer to them as constructed henceforth. But it's a perfectly cromulent term for them.

inimalist
Aren't they all?

no?

Bicnarok
Sod that, English is easier.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by inimalist
no?

How do you figure? You weren't born knowing English, were you? Languages don't randomly appear in nature; they're all made up by humans. So what's the real difference between one that developed over a thousand years, and one that was made up on the spot?

And I don't think "natural" languages are any more valid than "constructed" ones. Not only are they all unnatural and constructed, "constructed" ones serve a very important purpose for communicating; for example: American Sign Language.

inimalist
I can expand on this when I'm on my pc and not my phone, but by that logic, much of one's sense of sight and smell and audition would be artificial, as we aren't born with them, but rather develop them through biological processes and the environment interacting with one another

King Kandy
Esperantos been around for forever, this will fair no better.

Everyone should speak Elvish.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by King Kandy
Esperantos been around for forever, this will fair no better.

Everyone should speak Elvish.

No, Lojban using the Quenya alphabet so it isn't biased in favor of the Latin alphabet!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, Lojban using the Quenya alphabet so it isn't biased in favor of the Latin alphabet!

Truth

dadudemon
How do you figure? You weren't born knowing English, were you? Languages don't randomly appear in nature; they're all made up by humans. So what's the real difference between one that developed over a thousand years, and one that was made up on the spot?

And I don't think "natural" languages are any more valid than "constructed" ones. Not only are they all unnatural and constructed, "constructed" ones serve a very important purpose for communicating; for example: American Sign Language.

By your logic, a bird's nest isn't natural.

It didn't exist until the bird created it, and a plant didn't grow the nest, so the nest is an artificial dwelling, not natural.

Why is there a difference in what we call "natural" and "artificial" when we are animals, too?

If you want to say that we are born with certain ways to communicate without our learned languages, then why did we develop in a way that the "language" section of our brain and our vocal chords, tongues, and mouths all evolved to a point to be able to speak a complex language? We are built to naturally use a language. Just like cats have to learn how to hunt, yet being born with everything to hunt, so do humans have to learn languages.

Spoken languages are natural to us.

Now, I would agree that, say, binary language is not natural as the only thing we have that is "naturally" adapted to that is our ability of complex thought. One could argue that we have evolved a very good sense of boolean concepts: off or on, but one could argue against that as well.

On topic, it should be some sort of evolved Latin AND/OR English AND/OR Standard Mandarin, AND/OR Spanish. Definitely not French, German, Japanese, Italian, Russian, or Hindi, etc.

And before anyone says it, there is not a "Chinese language" there are are over 10 different "Chinese languages" with one being official and taught in most eastern chinese schools.

lil bitchiness
I do really like the idea of those artificial languages, but they always favour some languages over another. The most famous ones are definitely strongly Latin influenced, and considering that English is already incredibly successful I see little reason not to teach that instead. It also is rather unfair to speakers of different languages.

If I should be able to finish my Japanese and Spanish studies I do consider looking into Esperanto purely for sport though, cause I do like the idea very much, and i think it might actually be somewhat useful as it has a decent community scattered over many places, in fact my 80 000 people town has a group of Esperantists.

I imagine it like a sort of rotary club with its own language, haha.

Yes, you're right, they do favour a particular languages over others, so yes I'd agree it isn't that fair at the end of the day. Just look what I did - I picked lesser known auxiliary language because I felt was easier for me to understand and was entirely Latin based.

I'm divided on this issue - I like the idea that the whole world speaks one languages, however, I also like the fact that there are so many beautiful languages out there and I feel it would be a shame if they're to disappear in favour of an artificial language. This would never happen, but still.

Code 46 had a pretty interesting take on a lingua franca produced by ultraglobalization.

This thing wont take off however. Itll end up just like esperanto. No language will ever become universal either, although a crap load of languages still in existence today will be erased as the cultures that created them are desfigured or killed off entirelly by the expansion of more virulent ones - specially western ones. The current rate of language extinction is unprecedented. http://www.unesco.org/courier/2000_04/uk/doss01.htm

Wild Shadow
i love the sound of french,,, but, no there shouldnt be any form of centralizing of world languages unless the world was already a new world order an i believe many ppl in various nations would refuse such a concept as enticing as it may sound and the aspirations for a better tomorrow is not a good enough reasons..

to me its just another way of desensitizing the masses for indoctrination and future manipulation.. it sound conspiracy like but its not.

lil bitchiness
Even if New World Order does come in, I don't think they'll propose one language.
Then again, if single world government can be proposed, I guess imposing a single language is not that much of an impossibility....

Wild Shadow
either way if ppl should learn a second international language it should be one that is majority spoken and how useful it is in business... like chinese. wink

i hear that is the language we should be learning and teaching our kids if they want to compete in business.

lil bitchiness
Although English is the business language, I have heard that Chinese Mandarin is becoming increasingly popular as a second language, due to in part the number of speaks, and also because it should be the future business language.

Symmetric Chaos
The same studies that ended the Sapir-Worf Hypothesis would also seem to end any hope of an international language. Since people make up words to suit new things or experiences and not everyone sees the same stuff or has the same lifestyle such a language would diverge eventually unless integrated into a powerful religion (as happened with Latin).

Martian_mind
cromulent

New favourite word.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Martian_mind
New favourite word.

Never watch the simpsons?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by dadudemon
Never watch the simpsons?

Is that trial still going on?

inimalist
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Is that trial still going on?

black man can't get a fair shake in the white man's legal system

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.