Greatest Composer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Xiraphen
^^

Xiraphen
Top 5 would probably be as follows:

1. Yasunori Mitsuda

----------------------

2. Nobuo Uematsu
3. Koji Kondo

----------------------
----------------------

4. Yoko Shimomura
5. Motoi Sakuraba

ArtificialGlory
Paul Anthony Romero and James R. King were awesome.

NemeBro
Daisuke Ishiwatari.

estahuh

Impediment
Koji Kondo is one of the few names I know. He did a lot of good scores.

LLLLLink
Motoi Sakuraba. I'm most fond of his music.

Juk3n
No mention of Richard Jacques in the above posts, either you're all teens and have never played a sega, or you're all noobs and have never played a sega. stick out tongue

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Juk3n
No mention of Richard Jacques in the above posts, either you're all teens and have never played a sega, or you're all noobs and have never played a sega. stick out tongue

I've played Sega Mega Drive more than you.

ares834
John Williams...

HA!

Jeremy Soule and Koji Kondo.

Koji is obvious but Jeremy Soule is a bit less known but his work is legenadry specifiaclly his KotOR score.

Monolith Soft
In all seriousness though even if we were to include non-VG composers I would still place Yasunori Mitsuda in the #1 spot. No other composer from any other medium or era can even slightly compare with him as far as the emotive and atmospheric quality of his music is concerned imo. His works on the Xeno and Chrono series were pretty unbelievable.

Slay
Really liked Harry Gregson Williams score for MGS2: Sons of Liberty. Other than that I don't know any composers.

Juk3n
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I've played Sega Mega Drive more than you.

Impossible, i grew up in a poor house, all we had was a fridge, cooker, tv and a sega megadrive.

well thats all i used growing up ^^.

Kazenji
Steve Henifin and Kurt Harland, Jim Hedges For Legacy Of Kain.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Juk3n
Impossible, i grew up in a poor house, all we had was a fridge, cooker, tv and a sega megadrive.

well thats all i used growing up ^^.

Well, maybe. I owed it for like 3 or 4 years, then I got a PS1.

Juk3n
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Well, maybe. I owed it for like 3 or 4 years, then I got a PS1.

I owned mine for 6 years then i got a multi region Sega Saturn.

dadudemon
if you guys could, please post up some examples from youtube or other sites, of some of these memorable songs. I'd like to become a fan of some of those composers if they are good, you know?

ScreamPaste
Koji >

Monolith Soft
Here are a few from Yasunori Mitsuda, all from the legendary Xenogears:

pVKZfho8ugU

tHAJzQpv9SM

nl2phFAktbM

2p7cG2ReAjY

jrJBRPn2ui4

rabidd909
Michael McCann

NemeBro
Originally posted by dadudemon
if you guys could, please post up some examples from youtube or other sites, of some of these memorable songs. I'd like to become a fan of some of those composers if they are good, you know? I could show you some Daisuke Ishiwatari.

rGetImTgyFA

M3Jredj3n7k

iS0Zxctzrk0

OuAu-iyeo94

Just a few from him I particularly like.

One Free Man
In no particular order:

Jeremy Soule (I put his music on while I'm in bed to help me sleep, it's that good. Winds of Kynarith ftw)

John Williams for star wars games, indiana jones games, and alot of other movie-games.

Beetoven. No explanation needed.

ANFOTUONUREVAHI
Yasunori Mitsuda >>>>>> Beethoven

One Free Man
Bullshit.

RE: Blaxican
Nebaris?

Martin O'Donnel. Polaski agrees.

Peach
Originally posted by One Free Man

Jeremy Soule (I put his music on while I'm in bed to help me sleep, it's that good. Winds of Kynarith ftw)

He did the music for Guild Wars. I have all of the soundtracks for those on my computer. They are awesome big grin

One Free Man
Don't have the guild wars (never really got into that game) but I have the oblivion and morrowind OSTS and can't stop <3ing them.

I recently went camping in the mountains with all the redwoods and put one earbud in with the oblivion songs playing while hiking. It was hella boss/nerd.

One Free Man
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Nebaris?
He certainly does have the same obsession for jrpgs. *shudder*

Peach
kMUdPF260Uk

RMvcglKzCgE

0vihVoxiqMg (I was thrilled when we finished Nightfall and this started playing)

Ushgarak
Although I still cannot find that damn Factions track of his I like anywhere, even though it plays all the sodding time during Factions gameplay. (That Factions soundtrack above is a bit bombastic- he has better ones)

'Through the Asura Gate' is still my favourite from him, though worth noting that the title was clearly ignored in game. "Tune played sometimes when in Asura territory' would have fitted better.

Peach
I just snagged the main themes from the games...though I obviously skipped EOTN because I hear that enough logging in. Really wish that they'd change the music on the login screen!

As a whole I like the music from Nightfall the best though I think.

ares834
Originally posted by One Free Man
Nice to see somebody else with taste. big grin

One Free Man
Yeah that music added so much to the atmosphere of the game.

§P0oONY
I can't believe that only one person has said Nobuo Uematsu. We're talking Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and more. He takes it by a landslide.

Chopin get's a mention for Eternal Sonata though,

Aede Madavan
If not for Yasunori Mitsuda, absolutely. Mitsuda was entirely responsible for the three greatest video game soundtracks ever made in the form of Xenogears, Chrono Cross and Radical Dreamers, was far more heavily involved with Chrono Trigger's soundtrack than Uematsu and composed pretty much every memorable track in the soundtrack, and his work elsewhere such as on Xenosaga Episode I was also pretty incredible. Nobuo Uematsu comes close however. They're both two of the finest composers of all time, videogame or otherwise.

LLLLLink
But can he do this?
po13j_XNhTg
q5d1rrbNo3o
IDrGaXByTLg

§P0oONY
Motoi Sakuraba is brilliant, espeically his works with the "Tales of" games... However the Final Fantasy games have the best soundtracks of any game IMO.

Peach
Uematsu is just one of those people that goes without mentioning. His compositions are brilliant. And I definitely agree about the FF games having the best game soundtracks. You'll find very few people who won't agree that he is amazing.

§P0oONY
One of many reasons X-2, XII and XIII took a hit... Granted, they still have very decent OSTs... But nowhere near as good.

NemeBro

§P0oONY
Originally posted by NemeBro
Really?

I assumed it was because X-2 and XII sucked, and XIII though better than XII was still not that great. "One of the many reasons"

Meaning, not the only reason.

No End N Site
The dude who did the 1st Sonic games!

Not many can comprehend how ground breaking Sonic's soundtrack was when it 1st debuted. Genius!!

LLLLLink
Lost Odyssey did have some fantastic pieces. I just really like that game.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by LLLLLink
Lost Odyssey did have some fantastic pieces. I just really like that game. I treat Lost Odyssey as the true Final Fantasy XIII. It has the feel of a Final Fantasy game, moreso than FFXII/XIII.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.