Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Phanteros
Castlevania is back, this time as a complete reboot of the series in the form of Lords of shadows. It will be an fantasy action adventure with some a bit of Prince of persia 08+Devil May cry added in.

You take the role of Gabriel Belmont, a holy knight on a quest to retrieve the God mask that will resurrect his wife from limbo.

k-0M_AzQ3aE

RE: Blaxican
Bring his wife back from the dead/in-between, eh?

Where have I seen that storyline from in the last few years...

Impediment
Sir Patrick Stewart, Robert Carlyle, and Jason Isaacs' voices? Awesome. I'm quite pleased to know that some veteran actors will lend their voices.

Kinda ify about the GOW combat sequences, but it's not going to ruin my expectations.

I'm really looking forward to this game.

§P0oONY
Woo for the Belmont family!

Kazenji
Theres already thread for this game.

menokokoro
Originally posted by Impediment
Kinda ify about the GOW combat sequences, but it's not going to ruin my expectations. Eh, if anything i would say that gow stole it from Castlevania. but yeah, there is a new trailer

X5yqqfB2p7c&

I don't know about the rest of you, but this looks amazing to me.

sorry if there really was already a forum for it, i couldn't find any others.

ESB -1138
The Angry Video Game Nerd got me hooked on Castlevania years ago and I'm looking forward to this one.

Classic NES
I've been following this game for a good minute, I have to say it's looking better and better each time.

Kinda ify about the GOW combat sequences, but it's not going to ruin my expectations.

Seconded.

menokokoro
found another tgs trailer subtitled
8GPPoOQrXc4

StyleTime
Originally posted by Classic NES
I've been following this game for a good minute, I have to say it's looking better and better each time.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say.

Impediment
October 5th can't get here soon enough.

jinXed by JaNx
Well, i'll say this...,it can't be worse than that piece of shit arcade game that recently released on the 360...,man, what a steaming pile of poo that is.

Impediment
Am I the only one who is highly anticipating this game? Man, this game looks so much fun.

Demonic Phoenix
I'm looking forward to it since I'm a Castlevania fan, and there hasn't been a decent Castlevania game in a while that I could play. The extended trailer was excellent, and hopefully the game doesn't disappoint.

That said, I hope Dracula appears (should be a given) and that he is as badass in this game as he usually is.

menokokoro
yeah, im way excited about this game. It looks like it has great potential, but like dp said, i want dracula, but im not seeing any sign of it. though it might be just because it is supposed to be assumed.

but death is there big grin and that looks awesome

Demonic Phoenix
I get the feeling that the person stating "I will wipe the name of Belmont from this Land/World" might be Dracula. Or do you think it is someone else?

Demonic Phoenix
^ Or, Gabriel Belmont might become Dracula at the end of the game shifty

Phanteros
Alucard?

dadudemon
I must say that I am more intrigued with the story and cinematics than I am actually playing the game.

It is very "Dante's Inferno", though. Even the story's premise is Dante's Inferno.

However, I agree that the "hack and slash" isn't a bad option. It really makes sense.

Also, I think I saw several homages to Super Castlevania IV in that trailer with some of the boss fights.

Phanteros
GTE_lvWMFJM lovley soundtrack amd gameplay

menokokoro
Originally posted by dadudemon
I must say that I am more intrigued with the story and cinematics than I am actually playing the game. Thats how I am with most games I play, I really don't play games for any other reason. Unless it is a game like Ninja Gaiden, where the game play is just so satisfying, you don't need a story at all....by you i mean me, cuz I almost always need a good story.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Phanteros
Alucard?

Nahh. Dracula has to appear first.

On Gabriel's online profile at the game site, I think they state that Gabriel could have been born a Cronqvist.

Would be awesome if he were a Cronqvist, and turned out to be the Dracula of this Castlevania-verse.

GTE_lvWMFJM lovley soundtrack amd gameplay

Soundtrack will be awesome. Just the music used in the extended trailer you posted is epic IMO.

Originally posted by dadudemon
I must say that I am more intrigued with the story and cinematics than I am actually playing the game.

It is very "Dante's Inferno", though. Even the story's premise is Dante's Inferno.

However, I agree that the "hack and slash" isn't a bad option. It really makes sense.

Also, I think I saw several homages to Super Castlevania IV in that trailer with some of the boss fights.

I'm interested in both. There hasn't been a decent Castlevania game in a while, and this one is a reboot, so I'm very interested in how they handle the mythos.

Phanteros
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix

I'm interested in both. There hasn't been a decent Castlevania game in a while, and this one is a reboot, so I'm very interested in how they handle the mythos. Yeah the last one Judgement sucked.

quanchi112
Been looking forward to this for over 6 months. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

Phanteros
Looked at some spoilers by mistake, and I wasn't expecting that Gabriel will be Dracul might need to check it out when I get the time.

Demonic Phoenix
^ Yeah, looks like I was right about Gabriel becoming Dracula.

The story itself is decent. Gameplay so far has been pretty good.

Sin_Volvagia
Is Dracula even in the game? Would be disappointing if he wasn't but Aria of Sorrow was still one of the best even without him (I'm aware he's Soma.).

Demonic Phoenix
Yes, he is.

jinXed by JaNx
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem im having. I am currently fighting a big Warg (mini boss) at a cemetery very early on in the game. After i get it's health down far enough it prompts me to press the RT while near the barg. After i press RT it initiates one of the quick time events where the white circles begin to get smaller but there is no button in the center of the circle. Usually when these quick time events occur there is a button in the center of the circle but not this time. I've tried pressing every button and after going through this process a dozen times i have no more buttons to press. Does anyone know what button im supposed to press during this quick time event?

Impediment
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem im having. I am currently fighting a big Warg (mini boss) at a cemetery very early on in the game. After i get it's health down far enough it prompts me to press the RT while near the barg. After i press RT it initiates one of the quick time events where the white circles begin to get smaller but there is no button in the center of the circle. Usually when these quick time events occur there is a button in the center of the circle but not this time. I've tried pressing every button and after going through this process a dozen times i have no more buttons to press. Does anyone know what button im supposed to press during this quick time event?

On the PS3 version, I have to press the O button as soon as the outer circle closes onto the inner circle. If you have a 360, try pressing the red B button as the QT event happens. It works just fine for me with my PS3. Remember that timing is key!

Sin_Volvagia
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Yes, he is.

big grin Well at least I won't get disappointed there.

Impediment
I just bought the game this morning, and I just defeated the Ice Titan. It made me think of Shadow of the Colossus meets God of War III.

Altogether, the game delivers in spades, thus far. The voice acting is ace, and the graphics are superb.

Impediment
Does this game really need a score of a full 120 piece orchestra and an 80 person choir? Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing, but at some points in the game, it's kinda overkill!

menokokoro
I WANT THIS GAME!!! would someone mind buying me a ps3 and this game smile I'll be your friend

Phanteros
Its on Xbox too.

menokokoro
yeah, but i want the bluray and there are other games i want for the ps3, and there aren't really any i want on the xbox

Phanteros
Originally posted by menokokoro
yeah, but i want the bluray and there are other games i want for the ps3, and there aren't really any i want on the xbox I can feel you plight. I made I tough desicion on whether to get it for the 360 or PS3. I choose the PS3 because my 360 games out weighed my PS3.

menokokoro
I can feel you plight. I made I tough desicion on whether to get it for the 360 or PS3. I choose the PS3 because my 360 games out weighed my PS3. yeah, it would be just the opposite for me....now i really think about it, there are no games whatsoever that are exclusive 360 games, that i want to play, well, that i can't get on the pc smile . but got to stop this, wrong discussion.

I am not a HUGE fan of the castlevania series, I played through sotn a while back, tried another one, and just couldn't get into it, the gameplay was to...idk, and the story wasn't compelling enough to grasp me. but i LOVED the whole dracula alucard thing with sotn, and i want to see dracula in los really bad, hope he is as epic as im thinking he will be

menokokoro
ok, so I gota ask people who have beaten the game, and/or know why everything is like it is so why is gabriel dracula? is there some reason a belmont turned into the king of vampires?

Phanteros
Originally posted by menokokoro
ok, so I gota ask people who have beaten the game, and/or know why everything is like it is so why is gabriel dracula? is there some reason a belmont turned into the king of vampires? In Dracula's original background he turned due to god not allowing his wife to live

Phanteros
good news everyone. The game might be getting a sequel,

Impediment
good news everyone. The game might be getting a sequel,

I should hope so, what with the ending, and all.

menokokoro
In Dracula's original background he turned due to god not allowing his wife to live OH! ok then i REALLY like this ending!

menokokoro
i just realized...what i just said ^^^^ can be constituted as a spoiler....CRAP! and it is too late to edit it....hmm, sorry

Impediment
Just ask Peach or GK for an edit.

Darth Jello
The funny thing about this game is that for all the claims that it's a reboot and non-canon, from everything I've read of the story, it fits into the established canon perfectly, explains the origins of both Dracula and the Belmonts and sets up the war described in the last two games of the series.

One of the most frustrating things in terms of storyline is the arbitrary removal of games from canon when there is room for every single game other than one or two remakes to fit.

jinXed by JaNx
I was actually surprised with how much this game focused on the story. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. It's beautiful and the game play is a lot of fun but i really don't think the mission structure works very well. The missions are designed like an old school game where you progress through levels. To me, this really makes the game feel overly structured and small. I would prefer an open world like every other Castlevania game. It just feels like there is no type of exploration element and for the type of environments in the game this is a shame because the envirionments are very beautiful. Either way, It still remains as a great game.

menokokoro
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I was actually surprised with how much this game focused on the story. I'm having a lot of fun with the game. It's beautiful and the game play is a lot of fun but i really don't think the mission structure works very well. The missions are designed like an old school game where you progress through levels. To me, this really makes the game feel overly structured and small. I would prefer an open world like every other Castlevania game. It just feels like there is no type of exploration element and for the type of environments in the game this is a shame because the envirionments are very beautiful. Either way, It still remains as a great game. I knew there was something different, but i couldn't put my finger on it.

Stoic
I was thinking about getting this game, is it worth the sixty, or should I wait?

Phanteros
It is a must get but it really depends on what you looking for in it.

General Kaliero
There needs to be more love for this game. Excellent combat, fun platforming, thoughtful puzzles, a mature but not grimdark story, great characters and voice acting, gorgeous graphics... it seriously has it all.

Very much waiting for a sequel on this one.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Stoic
I was thinking about getting this game, is it worth the sixty, or should I wait?

You probably wouldn't be disappointed for laying down $60 for this game. The production value is very high so the voice acting, graphics and writing are all spot on. However, just like any other 3rd person hack and slash action/adventure game the main focus is the game play. Just like most other games in this genre the game play can become a bit tired by the end of the game but i actually think the pacing and combo system does a good job at combating that. You'll also get your money's worth in content. This is certainly a lengthy game. My only problem is the lack of free roam.

Sin_Volvagia
The end was sure unexpected. Gabriel is Dracula?! Then again, I kind of expected him especially with the narrator saying how corrupted he was becoming and him being blind with love. Sure sounds like somebody from Lament of Innocence.

I was thinking Death/Zobek might have been the final boss but it unexpectedly ended up being Satan? Did not expect that one. I did like the Slogra cameo in the ending. But don't tell me the sequel is gonna be Dracula and Death teaming up together to take down Satan because that makes no sense.

Burning thought
Would like some help with the trials, I have finished the game but some trials have been difficult.

I dont know if anyone has done it, but after completing most trials in the game, I have difficulty with a lot of the timed ones, such as those concerning the Titans, Dracolich and some of the puzzles, timed trials bother me as I am simply not quick enough. Especially with the titans, I am curious if anyone has done them and hasa special technique with dealing with them? the Idol Titan (2nd one) for instance cuts a lot of your time during cutscenes and both force you to spend a lot of time holding on to grip.

srankmissingnin
You need to use one of the Dark Crystals, than each of the sigils will only take one hit to destroy. You still need to do an almost perfect run to get it, so know your path and where you need to go because if you get knocked off you will need to exit the stage and start the fight again.

Burning thought
Ah, where do you use the crystal? can you do it while on the beastie or do you have to do it while on the ground? only requiring one hit is a big boon.

srankmissingnin
Use it on the ground right away when the fight starts.

Burning thought
ok thanks, this should shorten times for sure.

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
You need to use one of the Dark Crystals, than each of the sigils will only take one hit to destroy. You still need to do an almost perfect run to get it, so know your path and where you need to go because if you get knocked off you will need to exit the stage and start the fight again.
Damn! I wish I knew that! I got the trials by cheating after trying many times and not getting it.

Impediment
I recently bought a 320 GB PS3 due to the fact that my 80 GB PS3 has a bad processor. That said, my old file of LoS was right at the 10 hour mark when the game became unplayable due to said bad processor, and I haven't played the game in months.

I deleted my old file, as much as I hated to do so, and started a new game of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I just defeated Carmilla and am now in the Land of the Undead.

This game is a true gem, in my opinion. General Kaliero's description of the game hit the proverbial nail on the head. People really, really need to play this game.

General Kaliero
I recently bought a 320 GB PS3 due to the fact that my 80 GB PS3 has a bad processor. That said, my old file of LoS was right at the 10 hour mark when the game became unplayable due to said bad processor, and I haven't played the game in months.

I deleted my old file, as much as I hated to do so, and started a new game of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I just defeated Carmilla and am now in the Land of the Undead.

This game is a true gem, in my opinion. General Kaliero's description of the game hit the proverbial nail on the head. People really, really need to play this game.
And awesomely, the game will be getting a new chapter added through DLC on the 30th.

Impediment
I bought the first DLC episode, Reverie, last night! I plan to play it after I complete the game.

General Kaliero
You and your damn PS3! Four more days...

****ing THANK YOU for bumping this thread. I've been head desking for the past few weeks trying to think of a new game to rent on Gamefly (Fallout: New vegas lost its charm a long time ago.). This is one I'm interested in.

Impediment
You really, really ought to buy this game, Blax. It's reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus and God of War at times, but the overall game play and story experience is magical. I give this game a well deserved 9.5.

My only gripe is the sometimes shitty camera work, but only for a few areas.

Impediment
WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WRONG?

I downloaded the DLC episode, Reverie, for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow this week and I can't even play the damn thing. I cannot access the main menu at all! Here is what is happening:

1. Turn on PS3.

2. Start game.

3. Opening company credits roll.

4. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow appears on screen with the closed book. Screen reads. "Press Start button."

5. I press start.

6. Notice on left side of screen reads, "When the HDD is flashing the game is saving blah, blah, blah."

7. Bottom of same screen reads, "Accept?"

8. I press start and I am automatically taken to the chapter load screen where we hear narration from Patrick Stewart/Zobek while the stage is being loaded.

9. While in actual game play, I hit either start or select to try to access the main menu, but I cannot.

Why can't I access the main menu and play my DLC stage? Am I going to have to beat the entire game first? This is very infuriating.

General Kaliero
I don't have the DLC yet, but I'd guess that, as Reverie takes place after the finale, it's locked until you've gone through the main story. ACB's "Da Vinci Disappearance" did the same thing, where after you finished the final sequence the trigger to start it opened up.

No clue why it won't let you access the main menu, though.

Impediment
Okay, everything's cool now.

I finished the game (awesome finale, BTW) and chapter XIII, Reverie, is unlocked and I am currently playing through this wickedly awesome chapter. The puzzles, alone, are worth the cost of the DLC package.

Impediment
Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

Reverie is an AWESOME DLC chapter, but it ended SO abruptly leaving me wanting more, dammit, more!

The ending was breathtaking! A twist upon a twist! I loved it!

This game seriously makes me rage sometimes.

jinXed by JaNx
This game can get rough thats for sure

General Kaliero
I've been replaying it on Paladin difficulty, and man, some of the stuff is absolutely insane in how hard it is. Cornell was the first real challange, and by the time I got to Malphas' tower... I hated that level with an absolute passion. Swordmasters are worse than most of the bosses.

Impediment
I'm currently trying to complete the trials. The two Titan bosses were insanely hard to defeat in under 75 seconds.

Darth Jello
So how is this non-canon from the rest of the series if everything is falling into place for it be canon? Sure if they "officially" put Legends back into the series it'll be a little incesty but oh well.
I haven't gotten this game, hope to get it soon as opportunity is available but is it true that the end boss of this DLC is everyone's least favorite superboss ass hole from Lament of Innocence?

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Darth Jello

I haven't gotten this game, hope to get it soon as opportunity is available but is it true that the end boss of this DLC is everyone's least favorite superboss ass hole from Lament of Innocence?

Yeah.

Impediment
I sure wish I could download the second DLC of LoS.

I should be playing it right now, but, no, the damn PSN is still down.

quanchi112
Finally the last dlc came out for the ps3. Beat it in a few hours. Some parts were rather frustrating but once you get the hang of it not impossible just annoying. Gabriel is a force to be reckoned with. Forgotten One was pretty cool as well but I expected a little more tbh.

All in all great game but I'm a sucker for dark/action packed games in medieval times.

Impediment
It's out?! Holy shit! My night just got booked solid! I am so downloading this when I get off of work!

Demonic Phoenix
Yep, got released around 10 or so hours ago.

Impediment
Is PSN updated on Wednesdays? I always thought it was on Tuesdays.

quanchi112
Is PSN updated on Wednesdays? I always thought it was on Tuesdays. Tuesday's usually and this came out yesterday mid afternoon.

Not very long impedi just hard but once you beat it once and know what you are doing you could go through it in half the time.

Let me know what you think after you clear it.

Impediment
Well, I just finished Resurrection, the second DLC chapter for Castlevania: LoS, and I have to admit that I am sorely disappointed.

Reverie, in my opinion, was so awesome not only because it was a very long chapter filled with puzzles galore that twisted your mind, but because of the level of emotion involved. Seeing how much anguish Laura was in brought a level of realism to the level that mad me angry when the level so abruptly ended. Reverie is truly a DLC worth every penny.

Resurrection, however, was just disappointing. No real challenge, no twists, not even a good ending that gave you a sense of accomplishment. No, all we get is a cliche antagonist filled to the brim with bravado insults and quips. The fights, while challenging on higher difficulties, were nothing special to me and the overall level design was nothing better than in the actual game. This took me less than an hour to finish, and that's only because of the sometimes very cheap deaths that happened while fighting the Forgotten One. Hell, even his character design was cliche, in my opinion. I was truly expecting an epic fight with a demon god that would be remembered as a worthy candidate for "world destroyer". Sadly, however, I didn't get such.

Resurrection is a good addition to LoS, but it could have been so much more.

quanchi112
I agree reverie was far better and had me clamoring for more. This did seem thrown together and just seemed far shorter. Still I liked it overall as it gave me more but like I said and you agreed with it could have been so much more.

On a side note at the end of the game Gabriel was so damn powerful. The ease in which he disposed of Forgotten One at the height of his powers was scary. They will probably have to tone him down for the next game. That's crazy powerful.

Darth Jello
So Forgotten One wasn't the pain in the ass he was in Lament of Innocence?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Jello
So Forgotten One wasn't the pain in the ass he was in Lament of Innocence? This is my first trip back to castlevania since part 3. I really fell out of videogames for years and in this sense welcomed a reboot since I was so far removed from castlevania continuity. I think this game definitely was a lot milder than the casltevania's of old in terms of difficulty. I never did beat the second form of Dracula on the original.

Demonic Phoenix
A sequel is in the works.

Huzzah.

Impediment
This pleases me.

awermm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.