Best Philip K. Dick Adaptation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
Which film adaptation do you like the best?

(I have a feeling the poll will be heavily weighted...)

roughrider
Come on; someone's going to vote for Screamers or Paycheck, aren't they? big grin

SnakeEyes
Blade Runner and Minority Report.

ChocolateCake
Minority Report by a country mile.

MildPossession
A Scanner Darkly for me.

Myth
Easily Total Recall for me.

Deano
blade runner easily

roughrider
It seems generally agreed by the poll, only four on this list are of good quality. The other half are misfires or disappointments.

Patient_Leech
Blade Runner (1982) - overrated.
Total Recall (1990) - over the top stupid. (but somehow fun)
Screamers (1995) - hm.. i've never seen it.
Minority Report (2002) - Pretty great
Imposter (2002) - hm.. i've never seen it.
Paycheck (2003) - pretty good, been meaning to see it again actually.
A Scanner Darkly (2006) - pretty good
Next (2007) - and never seen this one either.

RobsonThomson
It has to be blade runner!

siriuswriter
I agree that Blade Runner was overrated. Most of the "top FX, surrealism, blah blah blah" was not exciting but confusing for me. I know that it's meant to be confusing with Philip K. Dick, but I can get through his books without my head feeling like it's been tumbled about in a dryer.

I'd say Paycheck or Minority Report, although I'd really like to see "A Scanner Darkly."

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Total Recall (1990) - over the top stupid. (but somehow fun)

Be interesting to see how the remake turns out since its doing it different.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
Be interesting to see how the remake turns out since its doing it different.

An interpretation that doesn't make MARS BLINDINGLY RED would certainly be an improvement.. lol

http://www.gamepodunk.com/uploads/gallery/album_209/gallery_120_209_2334.jpg

(thank god they toned it down for John Carter... a director with a decent visual sense..)

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I agree that Blade Runner was overrated. Most of the "top FX, surrealism, blah blah blah" was not exciting but confusing for me. I know that it's meant to be confusing with Philip K. Dick, but I can get through his books without my head feeling like it's been tumbled about in a dryer.

I'd say Paycheck or Minority Report, although I'd really like to see "A Scanner Darkly." How'd you feel about Do Androids Dream of Robotic Sheep? The last chapter or so had me scratching my head.

Robtard
Blade Runner is not overrated, you clowns.

Blax, that's lice, yo.

queeq
No, it's not. Blade Runner is iconic and great. And by far the best Dick adaptation. More in spirit than in actual copying the book. Scanner Darkly was good but followed the book a little too closely to make a great film. I think Minority Report is the runner up for me.

siriuswriter
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
How'd you feel about Do Androids Dream of Robotic Sheep? The last chapter or so had me scratching my head.

Isn't it : Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I could swear it was.

Well first of all, I kinda had a technical problem with Dick's titles. I am sooo used to reading a vague but engaging title like "The Atonement" or "The Gardens of Kyoto" and such that Dick's books were like : really? You understand that I'm going to have to read the whole book to get the title, right? which is rather unfair if I do say so myself. So I was borrowing these from a guy friend a few at a time and so I read all he had within the space of maybe three weeks. So the plots and remembrance of reading everything kinda blend together sometimes.

The first time I read the last chapter, I was CONFUSED. And when I get confused at a book it's NOT OKAY. I turn into the Incredible Bulk, start to breathe heavily and yell and scream for no reason. My attitude goes down the pisser.

So I got out a sheet of paper and a pencil and I picked up the book again and started to sort of chart it out. Dick is soo distracting, you're trying to concentrate on one aspect and it ends up going on this tangent because suddenly he's trying to explain something else in the middle of explaining the first thing so by the time he answers the first question I've forgotten what that question was. So I knew that I was NOT SUPPOSED to understand this. But the charting really helped. I'm still not positive as to what happened, which is the one think I like the movie for - Steady Ending, Able to Understand.

I am still frustrated by it, but I just have to take a deep breath before I turn red and steam comes out of my ears, and re-understand that Dick is a bit of a schizophrenic when he comes to writing.

King Kandy
Haha, you think Androids was confusing, try reading his later works... VALIS is like the end of androids, except its doing that every chapter.

Don't forget, a movie of Radio Free Albemuth was released recently. I wish it was in my theaters!

Rob: Yes it is; no it wasn't.

Sirius: Don't correct me in public.

Kandy: stfu

siriuswriter
Oh, Blaxy -Waxy,

Shove it up your arse.

big grin

Did I say don't correct me in public?

I m-meant... i love you

siriuswriter
That wasn't correcting, that was defending.

Aw, there I went and did it again...

Patient_Leech
laughing

Quincy
Originally posted by MildPossession
A Scanner Darkly for me.

I mean I like Blade Runner the best, but a scanner darkly was like, best adapted. There are too many differences in BR to Do androids dream of electric sheep.

Cocobunny
hi

roughrider
And now we are seeing remakes of some of these films already in progress; Total Recall is first. Phillip Dick didn't live to see the goldmine of movie adaptations; too bad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.