Prowse and Lucas

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

David Prowse has revealed that Lucas shows no sign of letting up on him. It appears that Prowse is not allowed to attend official Star Wars events or anything else connected to Lucasfilm.
Surely it is time that Lucas grew up and moved on from this.

sweersa
I remember having this discussion before with you a long long time ago with an alternative user name far, far away...

Sorry to disappoint you, but we have never had this conversation. I only posted this as I read an interview with prowse that was published today. Get your facts straight.

sweersa
Originally posted by 003
Sorry to disappoint you, but we have never had this conversation. I only posted this as I read an interview with prowse that was published today. Get your facts straight.

I think you forgot who I am.

Originally posted by sweersa
I think you forgot who I am.

I think you have me confused with someone else. I have never had this conversation with you. So deal with it.

Impediment
Yeah, okay Zoom.

Originally posted by Impediment
Yeah, okay Zoom.

What does that mean?

REXXXX
Play nice, kids.

steverules_2
What happened between the two? I dunno the story at all

Just I get my facts right, Prowse played Vader right?

Originally posted by steverules_2
What happened between the two? I dunno the story at all

Just I get my facts right, Prowse played Vader right?

Basically, Prowse insists that Lucas promised that when Vader finally revealed his face it would be that of Prowse. Of course that wasn't the case and Prowse was not pleased.
Around about this time a British tabloid printed spoilers concerning ROTJ and Prowse was deemed to have been the one who went to the press.
From that moment on Lucas refused to have anything to do with Prowse, so much so that it has been alleged that most of the Vader scenes filmed after the incident were filmed without Prowse.

steverules_2
Thanks for the info

Originally posted by steverules_2
Thanks for the info

No problem, I am glad to help.

roughrider
David Prowse was the honoured guest at the first Star Wars convention in Toronto, back in 1997. If he was 'Persona Non Grata' with Lucas, wouldn't he be barred from attending?

Originally posted by roughrider
David Prowse was the honoured guest at the first Star Wars convention in Toronto, back in 1997. If he was 'Persona Non Grata' with Lucas, wouldn't he be barred from attending?

I am only reporting what has been said by both Prowse and Lucas.

Having just done a quick bit of research the event in Toronto was not an official Lucasfilm event and that is why Prowse was able to attend. I hope that helps.

sweersa
That is interesting, I knew they had some beef but I never knew the circumstances behind it. Thanks for the information, it is intriguing.

roughrider
Back in 2003, Prowse was talking to the media; saying he told Geroge Lucas he was getting in shape again to be ready to put on the Vader costume again, if he wanted him.
Now Lucas didn't use him of course - but was that Prowse trying to make nice, or indicating the two have a good relationship?

Originally posted by sweersa
That is interesting, I knew they had some beef but I never knew the circumstances behind it. Thanks for the information, it is intriguing.

Glad to help.

Back in 2003, Prowse was talking to the media; saying he told Geroge Lucas he was getting in shape again to be ready to put on the Vader costume again, if he wanted him.
Now Lucas didn't use him of course - but was that Prowse trying to make nice, or indicating the two have a good relationship?

I have heard in the past that it was an attempt at clearing the air on the part of Prowse, but how true that is I don't know.

InfernoJG95
Probably why they let HC in the vader costume and not prowse

mossman
Prowse claims he hasn't spoken with Lucas since 1983.
I'm not sure anyone is in the wrong in all of this, but I must admit, Prowse hasn't done himself many favours over the years in interviews, and with his appearance in Saving Star Wars.

The bottom line is, this all started with Vader's death scene being leaked to the Daily Mail - Prowse claims a reporter duped him into showing him the call sheet with Sebastian Shaw's scene on it, under the pretense of be interested in interviewing Prowse about his weightlifting career.

Either way, I doubt David could have delivered on his promises about "getting into shape" for the role in 2003 - he has been virtually crippled by artritis since the late 90s, in fact he was recovering from a hip operation around the time ROTS was being made wasn't he?

On the other hand, I'm not sure "banning" him from Lucas-sanctioned events is the way forward either.
It's just one of those silly little feuds that has lingered on over the years.

queeq
Very silly indeed.

coolmovies
I remember prowse saying he did not say the 'I am you father' line when shooting ESB untill he saw the film himself in the cinema .

mossman
Yeah, the line Prowse spoke on set was "No Luke, Obi-Wan killed your father".
Mind you, to be fair, nobody among the cast and crew knew about the twist at that point, except for Hamill who, allegedly, had been told of Vader's real dialogue moments before shooting that scene by Kershner.
It wasn't like Prowse alone was being kept in the dark there...

queeq
Exactly... he shouldn't whine. After all, he was part of THE plot twist of the century. Him not knowing was part of creating that moment.

Kazenji
Prowse speaking the lines??

i thought it was James Earl Jones.

roughrider
Originally posted by Kazenji

He spoke lines on set that would be redubbed by Jones, but he never got THOSE lines to say. They were kept secret from nearly everyone.

queeq
Only Lucas, Kershner, Kurtz and Hamill knew as far as I know.

mossman
Originally posted by Kazenji

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E

InfernoJG95
in fact james earl jones thought that vader was lying to get luke to the dark side

queeq
They made it work nicely.

Actually, so was I wehen ESB came out in 1980... I just wasn't sure this could actually be true.

InfernoJG95
indeed. how could this evil man/machine who killed obi wan and killed millions be his father

queeq
That still is one of the greatest plot twists in film history.

Kazenji
Originally posted by mossman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E

Meh.....thank god they went with James Earl Jones.

queeq
Hehehe

Kazenji
Its almost like that Snatch Star Wars vid.

queeq
Remind me.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.