Star Wars Old Republic: Fatal Alliance

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dr McBeefington
Anyone picked it up yet? I just preordered a copy.

Nephthys
I anticipate your cries of how its ruining the EU and how the creators are shameless scumbags jumping on the bandwagon.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Nephthys
I anticipate your cries of how its ruining the EU and how the creators are shameless scumbags jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm still trying to figure out if anyone takes you seriously here or if you're just here for our amusement.

Nephthys
Boohoo, becuase I really care what anyone thinks.

Gideon
N
Boohoo, becuase I really care what anyone thinks.

^ This is typically the first response of someone who does.

Nephthys
I am not typical.

Gideon
U r wen i say u r

Darth Truculent
Nope . . . not sure if I'll buy it or not. Jury is still out.

Vorpal Ruin
I plan on getting it. I'd like to know more about that era as i plan on plaing The Old Republic game.

MasterAshenVor
Well since I won't be able to afford a monthly subscription to TOR at the moment, I'm going for TFU II definatly.

Darth_Glentract
Bought it today but haven't started it. I'm not to enthusiastic really, just saw it on the shelf.

REXXXX
I hate the lightsaber hilt design that the Sith Lord has on the cover. So impractical...

The premise sounds intriguing at least.

Kazenji
So will this comic have anything to do with the upcoming MMO??

or can you just start reading and away you go.

Shey Tapani
Its decent, it has no big three in it, so go for it.

Kazenji
Might get it then since Star Wars: Dark Times is going on a hiatus until next year.

Dr McBeefington
In the realm of Star Wars itself, this was a pretty good read. The threat in this book was just too wild and imaginary, even in the Star Wars universe. In regards to philosophy though, this book was really badass, and that's coming from someone who can't stand philosophy. The philosophical conversations and realizations they listed in this book were just badass. I recommend this book even though it still shits on continuity.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by REXXXX
I hate the lightsaber hilt design that the Sith Lord has on the cover. So impractical...

No offence but how is it impractical? It's basically a light-nagamaki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagamaki

chilled monkey
Anyway, I'll probably get around to reading "Fatal Alliance" before too long, although the one I'm really looking forwards to is "Old Republic: Decieved."

truejedi
Read two chapters, and it was STOOPID and boring. They are trying to hard, but are absolutely unable to come up with new plot ideas.

That is my 2 cents.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by truejedi
Read two chapters, and it was STOOPID and boring. They are trying to hard, but are absolutely unable to come up with new plot ideas.

That is my 2 cents.

Welcome to the wacky world of Bioware

Hewhoknowsall
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Welcome to the wacky world of Bioware

??? Bioware is great at story telling. They're a great video game company too; to my knowledge they've never actually made a flat out "bad" game.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
??? Bioware is great at story telling. They're a great video game company too; to my knowledge they've never actually made a flat out "bad" game.

Bioware sucks at storytelling when they're trying to piggyback off of another franchise.

Hewhoknowsall
Bioware sucks at storytelling when they're trying to piggyback off of another franchise.

BS. Have you played Mass Effect 1 and 2? Those games have great storytelling.

Nephthys
And KOTOR sure as shit sucked didn't it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Nephthys
And KOTOR sure as shit sucked didn't it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Reading Comprehension is your friend. Bioware created KOTOR out of scratch. Then Bioware proceeded to copy the Galactic Empire and all its contents and then mess up KOTOR continuity.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by chilled monkey
No offence but how is it impractical? It's basically a light-nagamaki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagamaki

Do you see anyone fighting with those?

truejedi
not much different than the force-pikes that the... gaah, name rememberence failure.. little jedi from the trash planet had in TFU.

Gideon
I'm all for symmetry and recurring themes and archetypes. But DS is right; they flat out ripped the movie era off. Baaaad.

Zampanó
Can I get a synopsis?

mattatom
They could of at least made different armour perms, i keep thinking im looking at clones.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by truejedi
not much different than the force-pikes that the... gaah, name rememberence failure.. little jedi from the trash planet had in TFU.

Kazdan Paratus.

And yes, there are several real-life weapons that use this basic design of a blade-tipped staff or long-handled sword. Clearly it's an effective design.

Lucius
There a lot of retarded real life weapons out there. Just because it exists in the real world, doesn't mean its an ergonomical or better weapon as opposed to tried and true longsword.

Eminence
Or the Moped.

Pwned
Longsword has nothing on ONE thing: The M-16 A4 assault rifle PWNS ITS ASS!

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Lucius
There a lot of retarded real life weapons out there. Just because it exists in the real world, doesn't mean its an ergonomical or better weapon as opposed to tried and true longsword.

Oh, I know it's not better. I agree that a 'regular' sword is far more efficient and practical. I just meant that the design isn't totally useless and can be effective enough in the right hands.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Kickballjedi
Anyone picked it up yet? I just preordered a copy.

I was so excited about this, I play the game and wanted a writer to describe what living in that era was like.

About halfway through the book, there's a line where the female Sith Apprentice "Axe" steps aboard a Mandalorian's ship. She notices some of the metal paneling on the ship is missing and assumes it's to trim down the ship's weight. Really? A ship in space needs to be concerned about a few pounds of thin metal panels? The Borg (I'm sorry to reference ST) have proven a giant block flies through space as efficiently as a sleek spaceship. Without gravity that means a lead block would fly just as smoothly as a metal one. And if he has engines that can reach escape velocity off of a planet, then a few pounds shouldn't effect his atmo flight either. Dumb! That's it. I'm done with it.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Kickballjedi
I was so excited about this, I play the game and wanted a writer to describe what living in that era was like.

About halfway through the book, there's a line where the female Sith Apprentice "Axe" steps aboard a Mandalorian's ship. She notices some of the metal paneling on the ship is missing and assumes it's to trim down the ship's weight. Really? A ship in space needs to be concerned about a few pounds of thin metal panels? The Borg (I'm sorry to reference ST) have proven a giant block flies through space as efficiently as a sleek spaceship. Without gravity that means a lead block would fly just as smoothly as a metal one. And if he has engines that can reach escape velocity off of a planet, then a few pounds shouldn't effect his atmo flight either. Dumb! That's it. I'm done with it.
You are not explaining the plot in proper manner. What "Axe" thinks is irrelevant to ground realities around her (even in Star Wars). Also, was the ship in space or she planned to reduce its weight irrespective of where it was?

Kickballjedi
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
You are not explaining the plot in proper manner. What "Axe" thinks is irrelevant to ground realities around her (even in Star Wars). Also, was the ship in space or she planned to reduce its weight irrespective of where it was?

Hey SW. The book was full of odd, nonscientific details. The spaceship she boarded was the craft of a single Mandalorian bounty hunter. It was designed for atmospheric and space travel. To point out the exposed wiring because the panel must've been removed to reduce weight is a silly detail. Other things like the planets near a black hole and a small robot "factory" that sends feelers out into solid matter to absorb the materials it needs to build the robots were just to fantastical for me. I was hoping for a gritty experience of day to day life in the Old Republic environment, not Jedi crawling through air ducts killing security robots in some castle of a Hutt. Even after killing several of these guard droids, no alarm has triggered that there may be intruders in the vents. Just silliness. I'm not finishing it. Luckily I got a used copy, so it was cheap.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.