2003 Oscars - 75th Academy Awards

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raz
Just posted a complete list of this years Oscars nominations here: http://www.killermovies.com/o/oscars2003/articles/2768.html

This years leader is 'Chicago' with 13 nominations, followed by 'Gangs of New York' and 'The Hours'.

Shame Two Towers didn't get more nominations, but supposedly the Academy will anoint them when the final film is released.

Also nice to see Michael Moores 'Bowling For Columbine' on the list.

finti
no odds on those one

Tex
Chicago is gonna take most of them home.

finti
and that indicates I wont see it for sure

Thomas H
me neither!!

mah
what THE FUDGE with TTT not being nominated for costume design and music.

BackFire349
you people need to realize the oscars are meaningless now. the actual best movie never wins. the last movie that actually deserved it and won was american beauty. oh well, lets hope two towers wins best picture. it wont.

mah
what MUST win though is best animated movie; Spirited Away, and best foreign language movie: The man without a past

Bad Boy
John Williams nominated for best musical score! AGAIN???

Is it the law to have him nominated every single year or summing.

There's no denying that he is a landmark when it comes to film scores but let's face it, the score for Catch Me If You Can, wasn't exactly mindblowing. It may have worked for the film but does it actually deserved an Oscar nomination?

If the score was exactly the same but was credited as being written by Trevor Rabin or Harry Gregson-Williams, would it be nominated? NO!

Raz
Its a good score. And John Williams is great.

I don't think there was much other contest.

Bad Boy
Signs deserved something!

Ushgarak
Poor to not see Chicago just because it gets nominations. It is, after all, a classic story.

BackFire349
i saw a preview of chicago before it was nominated for goldenglobes, it looked pretty crappy to me. i aint gonna see it just cuz i dont think ill like it.

finti
what it deserves is to be quickly forgotten
Well I wasnt gonna see it if it hadnt got any nominations at all either, and I couldnt care less how classic story it is.
I dont watch musicals, Grease was the only exception cause it had some cool tunes in it

BackFire349
i cant believe robin williams wasnt nominated for one hour photo either.... mind boggling.

mah
howard shoree

finti
as it matters

Tex
Yeah, Robins deserved to win for 1hrpho in my opin!
Oh well, studio didn't pu$h it enough!roll eyes (sarcastic)

ToMacco
I would like to have seen "About Schmidt" nominated for Best Picture, in exchange for either "The Pianist" or "Lord of the Rings".

BackFire349
two towers should win best picture. im sure chicago will though, aka moulin rouge light

ToMacco
Sorry, Backfire, my friend. But I don't think "Rings" should win best picture, even though I think it was better than the first one.

BackFire349
i enjoyed it thoroughly, thus i think it should win best picture.

ToMacco
It was very good, don't get me wrong.

mah
the first LOTR got outrageously robbed for Oscars, TTT is already outrageously robbed for nominations, I hope the last one gets all it has the possibility of getting...but then again the Academy Awards ain't much

phinney6
One hour photo was awsome

BackFire349
oscars mean absolutely nothing. now the movie that wins is the one with teh most momentum when the awards come by. and in 20 years from now, when people look back to the beginning of the milenium, the lord of the rings movies will be known as the best movies, not chicago or beautiful mind or any of that crap.

finti
It is doubtfull that The Pianist will be set up on theatres in Norway, Polanski never drew huge crowds here and the movie is so exspensive to buy so this one will go straight to video just like Ali did

mah
sure bout that? im sure an oscar-winner'll get put up

finti
Well at least that what they said on TV2 last night8absoulute film news), no one wanted to buy it in

finti
Oscars had the lowest rating since 1953!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thomas H
No I had the lowest rating since 1974, because ratings system was not made before 1974, and in 74 was also the lowest rating...as far...The rating system in the USA is called Nielsen Media Research .

So unless you have a own system Finti to prove this, then you are wrong...BTW...this years Oscar had about 31 million veiwers, and last year had 41.
The best ever is 54 million, that was the year that Titcanic took home an hell of a lot of prizes!

finti
well Thomas what I wrote came from BBC it said 20, 4 million viewers and it was the lowest audience since 1953 when Oscars first was shown on tv. Guess BBC just refering to other media reports, and Thomas there are more than the Nielsen Media Research in the States. There are competitive companies which is why you will get different rating numbers, so what I did was just refering to the ONE I read. And I guess they are just as right as the one you refered to http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2883705.stm

Ushgarak
Steve Martin was good, though...

BTW, as for LOTR, I think people make reasonable comment about people being reluctant to vote for it until ROTK comes out- it basically being one big film split into three.

mah
it better get heaps of awards next year, and for CRYINGOUTLOUD; it _has_ to get Best Costumes award

Captain REX
Well, the Oscar's are dead and done for this year.

I agree with you on TTT not getting the deserved awards. The reason they weren't nominated for music is because of so much repeated themes, though I think that is bullshit.

Dejio
I think the Oscars are overrated. Last year, I surely thought Sir Ian McKellan deserved an award. Oh who am I kidding? He won't get one cause the Oscars has already ignored other legendary greats in the past. Such as Peter O'Toole! And now they're giving Peter one to make up for it. Sheesh...
The Oscars is a snub and a half.

Augeybana
True but the most overrated award show is the Grammy you never going to see one person take home 5 grammy,the most I believe was Jack Nicolson with 3 oscars and that took him over 20 years to get that many and the record for grammy was 13 in one night thats crazy.

Captain REX
Who took home 13 oscars in one night?!

BackFire349
no one, thats the most any movie was nominated. titanic won like 11...as did a few other movies, but i dont remember what they were.

Captain REX
Oh, that was nominations...

Titanic was nominated for 11 or took home 11.

Sünden
The Oscars aren't even awards. Much like the Grammys and Emmys, they are just there.
I mean, Spirited Away won for best animated film and Adaptation didn't win best picture.
That tells you quite a bit.

mah
what are you babbling about? Spirited Away is one of the best movies ever made, and by extreme lengths the best animated films last year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.