Thor vs. Despero

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

byrdgang21
Who wins?

the Darkone
Thor win slight majority, Thor is overall too versatile and has moreraw power than despero has encountered. Thor 6/10

cdtm
Despero. He ripped through Guy faster then even Lobo or Eradicator, when Guy stopped being cute and fought seriously, and routinely one shotted characters on Thors level.

Lobo being an exception, but he's basically immune to pain and a damage soaking sponge..

the Darkone
So is Thor, Thor has great damaging soaking durability. Thor has fought beings that are superior To Despero, Despero has weakness against magic item, it will be hammer time for Thor.

Prep-Man
Despero.

the Darkone
Thor, hammer shot to the head big grin for the win!

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thor on average. Despero isn't anything Thor hasn't taken on physically before. Usually the higher end beings Thor fights are as invulnerable as they are strong however. The biggest problem will be telepathy. That's how Despero will get most of his wins.

Prep-Man
His 3rd eye can take a hold of anything living. At least it was that way when he first appeared. Strong will power or not, you will be taken a hold of.

the Darkone
Does it work on a God? not even the soul gem had affect on Thor! IF Despero use telepath and if affects Thor then he will win, but if it doesn't Despero is in deep sh**.

Prep-Man
It's worked on Starro, a cosmic being. Someone who's more powerful than Thor overall. It doesn't necessarily work as a conventional telepath.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Prep-Man
His 3rd eye can take a hold of anything living. At least it was that way when he first appeared. Strong will power or not, you will be taken a hold of.

I'm pretty sure Superman has resisted his control before etc.

Strong will power matters to his more current incarnations.

Prep-Man
Isn't Despero in his original body? If so, he's much more powerful than ever.

Rage.Of.Olympus
You mean the new body given to him by Vril? Not sure. I don't recall any specific power ups mentioned.

And by Starro, are you talking about the recent incarnation? I'm pretty sure he was cut off from all of his power or something similar when Despero was controlling him for the execution.

iceman24567
Not sure if it's the original but it's a step up from the body that Starro basically one shot

Rage.Of.Olympus
Take your word for it. Vril is a genius. I really like the Rebel series. Probably my favorite DC title currently.

Despero did show impressive survival capabilities being able to survive as nothing as a head though.

He seems to have shitty durability towards heat and sharp objects. I think Thor would fare better with the Bloodaxe than Mjolnir in a close up fight.

iceman24567
Vril makes me sick he's like a Scott Summer and Reed Richards hybrid only gayer

Prep-Man
I thought he was still powered by Py'tar from Trinity. If so, that Despero would win. He's much more than a brick and he can heal from pretty much anything.

Rage.Of.Olympus
I wouldn't know. I tried to keep up with Trinity but holy shit, that series was so damn boring. Especially the back up feature feating that Tarot card girl. I gave up halfway into the series. I flipped through some of the last issues just to see what was up with Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman. Looked boring.

Originally posted by iceman24567
Vril makes me sick he's like a Scott Summer and Reed Richards hybrid only gayer

We have some really different tastes. I love the know it all plot device Richards. His just so damn awesome when written right.

iceman24567
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
I wouldn't know. I tried to keep up with Trinity but holy shit, that series was so damn boring. Especially the back up feature feating that Tarot card girl. I gave up halfway into the series. I flipped through some of the last issues just to see what was up with Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman. Looked boring.

We have some really different tastes. I love the know it all plot device Richards. His just so damn awesome when written right. I don't like that shit thats why i despise Rip Hunter because in the end you know he's going to win erm

Rage.Of.Olympus
I don't like that shit thats why i despise Rip Hunter because in the end you know he's going to win erm

I guess it depends. I find Rip Hunter interesting. I like Booster Gold more. Morrison's Bat God, unbeatable Cap etc. are fun to me.

iceman24567
I find Rips use of tech interesting as i do Reeds but the way they pretty much beat everybody at the end of the day not so much erm. I would love it if they lost every now and then though Rip is in quite the predicament right now I guarantee it's part of his insane plan thumb down

Rage.Of.Olympus
I find Rips use of tech interesting as i do Reeds but the way they pretty much beat everybody at the end of the day not so much erm. I would love it if they lost every now and then though Rip is in quite the predicament right now I guarantee it's part of his insane plan thumb down

Rip's a bit boring. Interesting but boring. Reed however is awesome. Doom as well.

Rip definitely has struggles etc. He always wins in the end but to be fair, that's what happens in a lot of superhero stories.

Prep-Man
Ice, what are you talking about!? Vril and RIP are awesome. Vril more so. He's like DC's Dr. Doom.

iceman24567
He always wins in the end but to be fair, that's what happens in a lot of superhero stories. Which should not be the case

iceman24567
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Ice, what are you talking about!? Vril and RIP are awesome. Vril more so. He's like DC's Dr. Doom. Vril is just a cocky know it all which isn't a unique trait in comics at all. Rip i can stand only because of his tech and because he bitches Booster Gold around without letting him in on the truth. I still read REBEL and Booster Gold both are pretty entertaining.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Which should not be the case

Meh. It's comics.

Estacado
Fight!

guy222
thor

look at the ownage new jackie scans smile

cdtm
Despero, still.

Team beater class. Physically beyond entire teams of class 100s, and telepathically beyond Martian Manhunter, who himself is a top tier telepath..

carver9
Thor wins.

cdtm
Originally posted by carver9
Thor wins.

Kind of surprised you'd give Thor a majority over a character who's basically Maestro (Or a higher level Hulk) with telepathy... Maybe even a little beyond that, since I can't see Maestro taking a group tackle from Superman, Captain Marvel, Power Girl, and Wonder Woman...

JakeTheBank
Virtue and Vice Despero isn't the norm, but it does seem to be the Despero most people use in debates.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by cdtm
tutinax. nuff' said fixed

cdtm
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Virtue and Vice Despero isn't the norm, but it does seem to be the Despero most people use in debates.

I usually think of Giffen era.

And he'd beat Thor too, as the character destroyed an "on his game" Guy Gardner and MM repeatedly.

abhilegend
Guy's a hack and everyone beat down manjobber in those days. Heck, billy beat him half to death. Thor wins.

OneDumbG0
Virtue and Vice Despero isn't the norm, but it does seem to be the Despero most people use in debates. Because people want to ignore the most recent appearances of Despero that involve sharks, steel rods, heat vision one-shotting and kitty-clawing.

Estacado
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Because people want to ignore the most recent appearances of Despero that involve sharks, steel rods, heat vision one-shotting and kitty-clawing.
Thor got whooped by Tutinax.Desp wins by default...see I can do that as well.
as for the record the Despero that was hurt by shark and steel rods still beat the Jla including Superman Martian Manhunter aquaman Hal and many others..

Estacado
Also so non of the heroes could beat Despero without BFR which couldn't be said about Thor...except for the heat vision thing which could be considered PIS cause he already handled it without any problems mor than once.

WangleR
nutnut

Estacado
Originally posted by WangleR
My god you must be the faggiesst poster I have ever seen!
And you must be a skinny litlle bitc.h who think bashing people through the interwebz makes him tough.smile

WangleR
nutnut

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Estacado
Thor got whooped by Tutinax.Desp wins by default...see I can do that as well.
as for the record the Despero that was hurt by shark and steel rods still beat the Jla including Superman Martian Manhunter aquaman Hal and many others.. What does Tutinax have to do with Despero? Tutinax isn't getting one-shotted by heat vision, bitten by sharks, stabbed by steel rods or kitty-scratched by Vixen. You're acting like someone who has clearly been proven to be physically above Thor would succumb to that. And whatexactly was the point you were trying to make?

Did you just try to lowball Thor by using Tutinax? Tutinax of all characters? Next thing y'know, you'll cite to Kurse, Durok and Mangog next and expect me to get mad. lol Despero's physicality since Vice and Virtue hasn't been matched, much less approached. Pointing that out is no justification for completely misplaced attempts at lowballing.

cdtm
Because people want to ignore the most recent appearances of Despero that involve sharks, steel rods, heat vision one-shotting and kitty-clawing.

Granted.

The same way people would want to ignore Nefaria getting sliced up by Wolverine. ^_^

The "most recent" thing doesn't preclude discarding low showings, right?

cdtm

The low showings ODG mentioned isn't the norm, either.

Since Giffen, he was written as a beast up to Virtue Vice, than later was subject to a lot of bad writing. The same as Count Nefaria, which is why I used him in my example...

OneDumbG0
^ Bad writing is merely a euphemism for current consistent writing that some find disappointing. And arguing that it's bad writing doesn't preclude that version from being the version used in a thread absent clear PIS. I'd disagree that it's PIS at this point. Despero apparently uses different bodies and his current bodies haven't even approached Vice & Virtue levels. That's made clear by his several appearances since that storyline.

cdtm
His Virtue/Vice body was actually Lex Luthers, and that's where his best showings come from..

Without explanation to why he'd use a weaker body, I'd still consider that "bad writing".. In the case of Grundy or Amazo, they don't get to choose their bodies, but Despero does, as his body snatching and conversion is an act of will..

OneDumbG0
^ It's the reality of his situation now. That may be disappointing but that shouldn't preclude it from being fair game to speak about.

Estacado
What does Tutinax have to do with Despero? Tutinax isn't getting one-shotted by heat vision, bitten by sharks, stabbed by steel rods or kitty-scratched by Vixen. You're acting like someone who has clearly been proven to be physically above Thor would succumb to that. And whatexactly was the point you were trying to make?

Did you just try to lowball Thor by using Tutinax? Tutinax of all characters? Next thing y'know, you'll cite to Kurse, Durok and Mangog next and expect me to get mad. lol Despero's physicality since Vice and Virtue hasn't been matched, much less approached. Pointing that out is no justification for completely misplaced attempts at lowballing.
Doesnt change the fact that non of the heroes were able to beat him besides BFR.
So what if his durability is crap?
As I said in the same arc where he was hurt by Sharks he beat Superman Hal Jordan and many others at the same time so your argument is moot point.

OneDumbG0
^ Because people act like Despero's physicality is what wins rather than his telepathy. Next time, figure out what it is I'm talking about before inserting your two cents. Although the misplaced Tutinax lowballing was good for a chuckle.

Estacado
^ Because people act like Despero's physicality is what wins rather than his telepathy. Next time, figure out what it is I'm talking about before inserting your two cents. Although the misplaced Tutinax lowballing was good for a chuckle.
Don't be a hypocrite.
First of all you were the one trying to low ball Despero.
That's why I was low balling Thor who also said in Fear it self that in a fair fight he can't beat Hulk.

OneDumbG0
^ I was pointing out that his current physicality across at last three of his most current appearances isn't anywhere near Vice & Virtue levels and that's true. Because those feats were being cited. Despero physically isn't at Vice & Virtue levels. That shouldn't chafe your rectum because that's plain fact. And that's all I was speaking to when Vice & Virtue physical feats started being thrown around.

Then you went on some phailtastic tangent about Thor being beaten by someone who is, by all appearances, physically superior to him just as if Kurse, Durok or Mangog did the same as if that were a lowballing feat. Do you lowball Wonderwoman by mentioning H/P Doomsday? lulz

And now you're bringing up Hulk? Focus and get a grip. Just because you shot from the hip and completely missed because you had no idea where to aim at with your uninformed self isn't justification for your pms'ing now.

Estacado
You weren't pointing out anything but crappy durability you said nothing about his strenght or anything else...

Even in V&V he was hurt by Hawkman'S mace and other things...

OneDumbG0
^ Stop trying to move the goalposts to save face. If you think current Despero's durability has nothing to do with him tanking a group tackle from the JLA's and JSA's heavy hitters, you're hopeless. If you think current Despero's durability has nothing to do with his physicality, you're hopeless.

Estacado
^ Stop trying to move the goalposts to save face. If you think current Despero's durability has nothing to do with him tanking a group tackle from the JLA's and JSA's heavy hitters, you're hopeless. If you think current Despero's durability has nothing to do with his physicality, you're hopeless.
Still even with the crappy showings you mentioned he was not beaten besides BFR and the heat vision thing which can be considered PIS...so your argument is useless.

Even in VV he had bad showings against Hawkman and others is durability was never top Hulk level at best...

OneDumbG0
^ Stop moving the goalposts. I'm talking about Despero's physicality. Vice & Virtue is outdated when speaking to current Despero and that remains true based on his most recent appearances. That's got nothing to do with how heroes have to work around his telepathy that, yes, still remains superior to anything the JLA have.

Hawkman's mace is a red herring. That thing has hurt top tier beings almost on a consistent basis. I shouldn't have to remind you of that.

Estacado
^ Stop moving the goalposts. I'm talking about Despero's physicality. Vice & Virtue is outdated when speaking to current Despero and that remains true based on his most recent appearances. That's got nothing to do with how heroes have to work around his telepathy that, yes, still remains superior to anything the JLA have.

Hawkman's mace is a red herring. That thing has hurt top tier beings almost on a consistent basis. I shouldn't have to remind you of that.
And my point is that his durability was never good it was bad the shark biting is super bad though but it doesnt really take away from his strenght he was always busting teams.

All im saying is that just because he has been hurt by less doesnt make him weaker...

OneDumbG0
^ If you don't think current Despero is phsyically inferior to Vice & Virtue Despero, I have nothing else to say to you. I don't want to waste time even arguing such a notion.

cdtm
Current Despero is definitely < V&V Despero, or even pre V&V Despero.

That said, whenever other characters with variable showings pop up (Like Grundy or Amazo), don't most posters argue from the "better" versions, even if it's not the most current?

That may be against board rules, depending on how they're interpreted, but just saying.

Horrificus
Current Despero is definitely < V&V Despero, or even pre V&V Despero.

That said, whenever other characters with variable showings pop up (Like Grundy or Amazo), don't most posters argue from the "better" versions, even if it's not the most current?

That may be against board rules, depending on how they're interpreted, but just saying. This is what I was wondering too.
Are we talking about Regular Thor at his best, against Regular Despero at his best, both without any amp's outside of their normal character profiles?

If so, Despero takes it. As it has been said, he is a top-tier team beater. I'm a Thor fan, but Despero was made to make "groups" of class 100 characters sh** a brick.

cdtm
Originally posted by Horrificus
This is what I was wondering too.
Are we talking about Regular Thor at his best, against Regular Despero at his best, both without any amp's outside of their normal character profiles?

If so, Despero takes it. As it has been said, he is a top-tier team beater. I'm a Thor fan, but Despero was made to make "groups" of class 100 characters sh** a brick.

Pretty much.

Those scans I dug up of Despero knocking Lobo around are from the days when Lobo was being pushed as an ultimate badass. Not too long after he beat down Superman, or when Lobo knocked around Captain Marvel...

If Thor took on that Despero, I could see him beating him with his versatility, but not in a straight physical contest.

cdtm
stabbed by steel rods.

Just want to point out, at least one of Despero's low end showings can be explained away:

It was motherfuggin Aquaman that threw the rod. big grin

And than proceeded to lay the beatdown on him.

Despero was still badass enough to beat Martian Manhunter down, but I guess Aquamans just that tough. eek! (Despero did eventually win, but with telepathy)

cdtm
Seriously though, even in that 2005 story, he had that one low showing against Aquaman, and than in the next issue was tanking attacks from Superman and Hal Jordan, mind controlling Martain Manhunter and half the league, and it took Zatanna's magic to stop him.

I think even that Despero can take a solid majority over Thor, given what he accomplished.

Stoic
Seriously though, even in that 2005 story, he had that one low showing against Aquaman, and than in the next issue was tanking attacks from Superman and Hal Jordan, mind controlling Martain Manhunter and half the league, and it took Zatanna's magic to stop him.

I think even that Despero can take a solid majority over Thor, given what he accomplished.

I think it all depends on two things.

1, How far Thor is willing to go.

2. If Thor can resist being turned into a meat puppet.

Estacado
^ If you don't think current Despero is phsyically inferior to Vice & Virtue Despero, I have nothing else to say to you. I don't want to waste time even arguing such a notion.
Seriously wtf are you talking about?
Did I ever state that current Despero is stronger than VV one?
No!!!
I only said just because his durability seems worse he is still a team buster as shown multiple times when he beat the JLA after VV.
Also IIRC it was stated in the Starro arc that after reganarating he became more powerful then ever though i might remember wrong.

Rage.Of.Olympus
If he can resist his telepathy, Thor would win.

Estacado
Just wondering how?
Im not disagreeng just asking.

cdtm

You don't think Despero can beat him down?

I know Thor has resistance to telepathy, but Despero won a psychic dual with Aquaman and Martian Manhunter at the same time.. That's ridiculous.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by Estacado
Just wondering how?
Im not disagreeng just asking.

Resist his telepathy? Thor fluctuates so there's definitely portrayal's where he'd succumb but he has some high end will power feats that would suggest he can resist.

Best case scenario, he doesn't go for a mental assault directly. The character brawls pretty damn often from what I've seen.

You don't think Despero can beat him down?

I know Thor has resistance to telepathy, but Despero won a psychic dual with Aquaman and Martian Manhunter at the same time.. That's ridiculous.

No.

Oh yea, forgot about that, Thor shouldn't be able to withstand that type of assault, at least on average. Wasn't that the time he was ripped apart by Sharks or whatever? Not his best moment. Tbf though, I remember Arthur giving him a lot of trouble before they even entered that duel.

abhilegend
^Yeah, arthur was taking it to despero h2h, but later despero was beating superman in h2h. smh at Johns.

cdtm
Resist his telepathy? Thor fluctuates so there's definitely portrayal's where he'd succumb but he has some high end will power feats that would suggest he can resist.

Best case scenario, he doesn't go for a mental assault directly. The character brawls pretty damn often from what I've seen.

No.

Oh yea, forgot about that, Thor shouldn't be able to withstand that type of assault, at least on average. Wasn't that the time he was ripped apart by Sharks or whatever? Not his best moment. Tbf though, I remember Arthur giving him a lot of trouble before they even entered that duel.

He also physically dominated Martian Manhunter just before Aquaman showed up.

But it's Aquaman! The man that kicked Lobo in the chin and lived to tell about it. Superman has nothing on Arthur for baddassary. wink

But yeah, that wasn't Despero's best physical showing. However, the very next issue, D was tanking attacks from Superman and Hal Jordan, and tossing them around like rag dolls.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by abhilegend
^Yeah, arthur was taking it to despero h2h, but later despero was beating superman in h2h. smh at Johns.

Meh, I'm pretty sure Superman took Despero on with Jordan. Inverse ninja law and all that. Tbf, you can also argue that Aquaman's ferocity is what allowed him to achieve such a performance.

It's true though, John's doesn't exactly stick to established power levels.

Rage.Of.Olympus
He also physically dominated Martian Manhunter just before Aquaman showed up.

But it's Aquaman! The man that kicked Lobo in the chin and lived to tell about it. Superman has nothing on Arthur for baddassary. wink

But yeah, that wasn't Despero's best physical showing. However, the very next issue, D was tanking attacks from Superman and Hal Jordan, and tossing them around like rag dolls.

I know he left John in a building or something but it's been a while so I don't remember the details.

Meh, shit happens. I wasn't trying to lowball Despero.

Would you happen to have scans of that?

Estacado

No.

Ok so Thor resists his tp which unlikely though cause no one ever resisted it for more then a short time...
How will he beat someone who can hang with multiple Superman level guys?

the Darkone
Heres a question can Despero withstand the full power and might of Thor's hammer, if Thor believes that lives are at risk Thor will kick it to another level and cut lose.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.