what constitutes a weed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

King Castle
i am curious to what constitutes a weed.. in my back yard we have patches of i guess would be called little barley.. http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/lbarley4-29.jpg

now it doesnt really bother me at all i tend to think that the few quails that show up will eat them and other animals make use of it.

plus to me its just another grass or plant.

but also when it dries it looks like hay and well cant horses eat it?

i mean what makes it a weed do we humans eat anything that in itself constitutes being a weed?

what are the nutritional values of a weed to an animal or to a human what are common weeds that we know of?

Shakyamunison
Weed = any plant that crowds out cultivated plants

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=define%3A+weed&aq=0&aqi=l1g10&aql=&oq=What+is+a+weed&gs_rfai=Cz-5igMBNTKyGKYPSiAPy14DDBAAAAKoEBU_QUzlu&pbx=1

King Castle
it really comes down aesthetics, so sad...

inimalist
not really just aesthetics

if you are growing tomatoes, weeds are plants that will steal their light and food.

King Castle
so its b/c it steals nutrients from the desired plant that you have planted?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by King Castle

If you plant weeds, then they are no longer weeds. big grin

inimalist

I'm not a botanist, but that is probably a good rule to follow

jinXed by JaNx
The THC level

lil bitchiness
Some weeds are good, like mint or basil...unless it's not what you're trying to have in your garden and it kills surrounding herbs.

King Castle
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Some weeds are good, like mint or basil...unless it's not what you're trying to have in your garden and it kills surrounding herbs. why is mint or basil a weed and not just an herb?

lil bitchiness
why is mint or basil a weed and not just an herb?

Weed can be any plant - it being a herb, a flower or a tree doesn't disqualify it from being a weed. It is any plant that grows out of control and kills off weaker plants in the process.

Mint bushes out and kills herbs that are weaker.
If you plant mint in your garden, getting rid of it is a nightmare, if you can get rid of it at all. But it smells nice at least.

My partner and I manage extensive herb growing, but they're all in pots, never directly in the garden. Not all herbs are weeds, but I don't have the time or patience to investigate which ones exactly are and which are not, so I control them in pots.

The other one I know is a weed is chives. That thing grows out of control.

King Castle
so you plant a lot?

what do you plant specifically?

Shakyamunison
Hemp!

lil bitchiness
so you plant a lot?

what do you plant specifically?

I do! I'm all abut the gardening. My boyfriend is more into plants, but I like the thing as well. So far I have a really healthy chilly plant, cherry tomato plant as well as strawberries. Strawberries are cool because they last up to 3 seasons and they reproduce themselves, so I'm expecting some more strawberries next year too.
Chillies are so many this year, I put some away in a bottle with olive oil, so I'll have chilly olive oil and some chillies this winter. Some of them I dried and the rest, I don't know yet.

Stupid chipmunks ate some of my strawberries this year, but next year I'm going to buy a little fence to put around it.

Oh yes, and I have lots of herbs in pots - currently I have chives, basil, oregano, parsley (that got killed by basil because we planted it in the same pot) some rosemary and lemon tyme.

big grin happy

King Castle
i am really interested.. tell me more. my mom's neighbor when she moved in next door when we were younger planted some plants and a fruit vegetable garden which almost everyone has.

but the squirrel ate her stuff as did ours like my mom strawberries and tomatoes even though we had a small fenced area.. they dont care they get in regardless.

i thought it was funny.. just plant more, more then they can eat and it was done just for fun anyways.

our neighbor didnt share our view and she put rat poison and other stuff and we started finding squirrels dead on our property and small birds as well.. my mom called the city and reported her. she got fined and told to stop.

true story.. geek

Jack Daniels
a rolled up somkeable thing

Flyattractor
If ya can't smoke it.
Gotta mow it.

Nuff said.

Symmetric Chaos
1: is it a plant?
y (2)
n (3)

2: do you want it to keep growing where it is?
y (3)
n (4)

3: no, it's not a weed

4: yes it's a weed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.