The Other Guys

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Myth
Just watched this movie. It seems to be a return to form for Ferrell/McKay. Best buddy cop movie since Hot Fuzz. There were plenty of scenes that had me laughing that were not included in the previews (which is always something I fear going into a comedy). It's much like previous Ferrell/McKay movies where if you watch it with some of your buddies, you are bound to be quoting it later in the evening.

8/10

princecooper13
I found the movie to be pure enjoyment and am so glad I went. All of the main characters were great fun to watch and it was actually exciting to see some of the ones whom I've not seen in a movie in a long time.

ADarksideJedi
I don't care for either actors so this is one movie I am planning to advoid.

The Nuul
I loved this movie but at times there was way too many jokes/gags. But everything worked very good and its one of the best buddy Cop movies.

8/10

The Nuul
This is a must buy for me and is a must see for anyone who likes buddy cop movies. Copout is -100 compared to this, it sucked anyways with out comparing.

Myth
By the way, Damon Wayons'(sp?) son looks and sounds just like Damon did himself 20 years ago. Found that really interesting.

The Nuul
I didnt really cared for him or noticed.

Robtard
Had quite a few haha moments, but not a superb comedy by a long shot.

Bloinky
Originally posted by Myth
By the way, Damon Wayons'(sp?) son looks and sounds just like Damon did himself 20 years ago. Found that really interesting.

It actually had me thinking if it was actually him or not.

GeorgeSTX
I loved it. I was surprised how many big names were in it.

"Im a Peacock, I gotta fly"

SnakeEyes
Okay guys, just got back from seeing this. This movie's been getting surprisingly good reviews from critics, people here on KMC have been saying it's funny, I like Ferrell; so I thought - "I should like 'The Other Guys,' right?" Wrong.

This movie was... bad. I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, but I'd say there was a 1:4 comedic ratio, meaning 3 jokes (out of every 4 made) fell flat, where 1 worked. Even that statement is complicating it too much, really this movie just WASN'T funny, and that's all I really wanted, some good laughs.

Mark Wahlberg was annoying, nothing he said or did throughout the entire film made me laugh. It's possible to be a dick and be hilarious, just look at some of J.K. Simmons' roles, but in this film Marky Mark just comes off as a whiney douche. Ferrell was funny, but he couldn't carry the whole movie on his shoulders alone.

Gags are started and then abandoned, tons of jokes recur but none of them are expanded on, they're simply repeated, the plot isn't engaging and there is too much time spent developing a crime story in which no one in the audience gives a shit about.

The Other Guys doesn't satirize the buddy cop genre in any new or interesting way, it barely satirizes at all - basically it just IS a goofy buddy cop flick and that's about it. But even that's generous because Ferrell and Walhberg are hardly buddies and their relationship doesn't really change throughout the movie; Wahlberg is an ******* and Ferrell is sporadically entertaining.

Just like the cops in this movie, it tries really really hard to succeed, but ultimately falls flat.

4/10

For the record, I do like Mark Wahlberg, just not in this film.

RE: Blaxican
I thought it was a great movie personally. The type of humor in it, which was kind of spontaneous and out of nowhere, really appealed to me. I feel like the humor was similar to that in The Hangover, which I also thought was brilliant.

Funniest movie of the year, for me. I'd give it a solid 8/10.

The Nuul
Yeah, I didnt care much for Mark, his comedy felt forced.

ADarksideJedi
In all of his movies he feels forced.and he never plays in Comedys so I don't think this part was a good idea for him.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by The Nuul
Yeah, I didnt care much for Mark, his comedy felt forced.

Yeah, he did the "maybe if I scream all my lines and look angry I'll be funny" routine.

It's never funny.

-Pr-
I liked Wahlberg in it. I actually liked the movie in general. Not the best comedy i've ever seen, but i got a few laughs out of it, and that's all i really wanted.

and I loved how even though they were doing crap at work, they were actually super-competent outside of it.

Discos
Snakeyes - thanks for the indepth review dude, its a shame I have yet to see it due to not being out in the UK yet. But I will take your review on board, as all I have heard from being who just jizz over this movie with positive reviews.

I wasnt so keen on this movie when I first heard of it when Ferrell and Whalberg appeared on WWE Rae promoting the movie, they dont seem like a great on-screen duo, even tho Whalberg is one of my favourite actors.

Ferrell's movies are becoming too much type-cast, with screaming and loud jokes/puns,

But I will come back and like/***** about this movie when I see it

fanhost
It's one of the best movie of 2010. It's a complete package of entertainment..

Rogue Jedi
Sucked.

KurtRussellCrow
I enjoyed the movie

fanhost
It's a great comedy. I have watched it with my colleges & we had a great time by watching this superb comedy..

SnakeEyes
Do they not teach English in Australia? Jk jk... kinda.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Yeah, he did the "maybe if I scream all my lines and look angry I'll be funny" routine.
It's never funny. Pretty much.

Discos
Ok.... some very good "laugh out loud" moments, but I am fussy about when it comes to outragously over-the-top stuff, like the action sequences and puertiricans in helicopters n shit (not really a spoiler)

I disliked Marky Marks character, I always want to see more of a "Shooter" or "Four Brothers" character with him.

Great on-screen duo tho, the whole bullshit story of the tuna fish and the lion was in your face and just awesome.

Discos - 7/10

charly98

Joe Buck
This was a bit of a disappointment for me. I didn't laugh all that much. It didn't live up to my expectations. I'll have to revisit it on DVD and see if it grows on me.

marthatorres
This is funny. Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg the perfect combination. To, Kevin Smith, director of the "cop." This is your deceived the police genre. Steve Coogan also has some very interesting lines. Nice spot with Samuel Jackson and Dwayne Johnson. This is a very interesting film and best comedy film of the year the police.

Ignite
I was looking forward to this movie, except i was extremely disappointed, didn't laugh one and fell asleep......oh well smile

Mr. Rhythmic
It was ok, it had some funny moments, and then some long pauses of dull humor.

6/10

dannybindras

Zack Fair
This scene alone made the movie worth watching:

Z-vBH60KrW8

Esau Cairn
I waited the extra month so I could watch "the extended version" on blu-ray.

Disappointed isn't the word. This film seriously needed a laugh-track included so the viewer would at least know what scenes were meant to be funny & when to laugh.

Seeing some of the behind the scenes footage, the director expected too much from Ferrell & Wahlberg to ad-lib & improvise the humor. Then when in doubt Ferrell would fall back on his "crazy rants & antics" which we've already seen & already laughed at in his previous movies. It gets tiresome in The Other Guys.

The "Aim for the bushes" scene with Jackson & Johnson jumping off the building, I felt would've honestly been funnier if there was actually a small (obviously too small to make a difference) bush they were aiming for.

In the "alternate scenes", Jackson says, "And remember to duck & roll..." (when hitting the pavement) that would've been a funnier line to their demise, in my opinion.

The only actor I thought gave the movie grace was Michael Keaton.

AthenasTrgrFngr
Originally posted by Zack Fair
This scene alone made the movie worth watching:

Z-vBH60KrW8 crylaugh

General_Iroh
This movie had its fair share of funny scenes imo, but everything that wasn't funny was miserable. Comedies should at the very least have an entertaining plot to go along with the jokes in the film. This movie didn't have that at all, the plot was miserable and boring.

Myth
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

The "Aim for the bushes" scene with Jackson & Johnson jumping off the building, I felt would've honestly been funnier if there was actually a small (obviously too small to make a difference) bush they were aiming for.

There were bushes that surround the erect statue. They were just a ridiculous distance away.

Bardock42
There were bushes that surround the erect statue. They were just a ridiculous distance away.

Which is also what makes it quite funny. The way the camera shows it unfolding is hilarious.

Zack Fair
I was half baked when I watched the movie and during that scene I almost died of laughter. I was just thinking don't tell me they are going to go for it....' and then Rock confirms "Aim for the bushes" What fkn bushes man??? ROFL.

Esau Cairn

My bad. I honestly didn't see the "bushes" in the distance. I just saw pavement & street.

jinXed by JaNx
thought this movie was stupid

Zack Fair
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
thought this movie was stupid

No U.

jinXed by JaNx
huh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.