power levels

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

colossulrage
Ok so in the books it states that the two most powerful wizards are voldemort and dumbledore so on a scale 1-10 how are they ranked?

~Bun Bun~
Well they do not "tell" us any ranking. Dumbledore admits Voldys superiority tho.

Darth Angel
Does he? I recall him kicking Voldemort' ass in the ministry and Voldy was "immortal" at the time and Dumbledore wasn't...

Gideon
He admits that Voldemort is likely the most brilliant student in Hogwarts' history (Chamber of Secrets) and that his knowledge of magic is likely greater than any wizard alive (the Order of the Phoenix).

Not to mention that Dumbledore had the Elder Wand, which tends to give its users an advantage in a duel.

Darth Angel
Dumbledore isn't the type of person who boosts himself too much. He also said that voldemort could do things that even he couldn't do, but I remember Mcgonagall replying that Dumbledore was just too noble to do such things, not that he couldn't do them.
And talking about quotes, it's widely known voldemort's fear about dumbledore.

And by the way, I don't know exactly how the elder wand gave him and advantage over voldemort, after all, the wand doesn't fight for himself (only harry's wand does that), and while it may magnify dumbledore's spells, all the rest was just his skill in dueling. Ah, and to show how the wand isn't invencible, Dumbledore in person could beat and take possession of the wand from Grindelwald, a wizard from the class of dumbledore or voldemort, in a duel described as "the greatest duel ever fought".

Also, I would like to remind that voldemort was fighting albus while aware of his "immortal" condition, even though his opponent hadn't such advantage. Dumbledore was also protecting harry and holding bellatrix at the same time he was fighting voldemort, which is not an easy task.

That's why I personally believe that dumbledore and voldemort are pretty much equals, or maybe even dumbledore slightly superior, but I highly doubt voldemort was superior to the old headmaster.

ADarksideJedi
I think they both deserve a ten.

Gideon
While this is correct, Dumbledore isn't exactly a beacon of modesty, either. He's very straightforward with Harry and others about his own considerable level of power. Off the top of my head, I recall Dumbledore flat out telling Cornelius Fudge and his minions that there was no way they could stop him (the Order of the Phoenix), telling Harry that he is "cleverer" than he is (the Half-Blood Prince), and basically going on and on about his own level of brilliance and magical prowess (the Deathly Hallows; he confesses to being a "shade more skillful" than Voldemort).

I'd say Dumbledore is as objective as possible when it comes to his assessment of his power and intelligence compared to others. He doesn't flaunt it, but he doesn't hide it either.

Voldemort, according to Dumbledore, is also afraid of the dead. But you wouldn't tell me an Inferi could defeat the Dark Lord, would you? Voldemort's fear of Dumbledore is portrayed to be a multi-layered locus of insecurity. He was never able to deceive Dumbledore the way he was able to deceive others; Dumbledore actively opposed him without any real fear of his own. In Dumbledore's own words, Voldemort is the sort of tyrant who desperately fears the people he oppresses.

That doesn't mean any of them could kick his ass one on one.

That's true, but consider the fact that this is simply her opinion on the matter. She's likely referring to the use of the Unforgivable Curses, but Dumbledore could be referring to other things. He'd know the extent of Voldemort's power better than she would.

No one claimed that the Elder Wand was invincible or unbeatable, but it's pretty well established in the Deathly Hallows that it is the most powerful wand in existence.

Dumbledore's animated statues were holding Bellatrix and protecting Harry; Dumbledore himself was fully focused on Voldemort.

Overall, I'd probably agree. But in terms of "conventional" magic (i.e. spells, rituals, etc.), I'd say Voldemort's knowledge is superior and his abilities greater, simply because Dumbledore has no reason to deceive Harry or anyone else about the range of Voldemort's abilities.

Darth Angel
Well gideon, overall our opinion isn't that much different.

Yeah, I agree that voldemort's knowledge of the dark arts is likely the greatest ever (creating a horcrux with only 16 is something that only the greatest dark wizard ever would do), greater then dumbledore's one, but when talking about the magic overall, their knowledge should be more or less equal IMO.

My point here was that in a duel between both of them, on even ground, they will be more or less even. Personally, yeah, I believe that as you said dumbledore was probably "a shade more skilfful" then voldemort, but overall, 1t o 10, both of them would be in the end of the scale, the 2 more powerful and skillful wizards showed in harry potter's universe.

ankur29
whats harry on the scale

Dresta
Probably an 8, two tiers below them imo.

MadMel
You think so?
I'd put Snape at about 8, and he is a far better duellist and overall more powerful wizard than Harry.

Dresta
Then who is a 9? Snape was second to only Dumbledore and Voldemort in the books, which would put him as a high 9.

~Bun Bun~
10. Dumbledore/Voldy
9. Snape
8. Bellatrix
7.Order of the phoenix members/ Hogwarts teachers
6. Harry, Ginny, Hermoinie
5. Draco
4. Luna, Ron, Nevil
3. Shamus
2. Fleu ?
1. Filtch (Duh, squib.)

Just IMO.

Dresta
Originally posted by ~Bun Bun~
10. Dumbledore/Voldy
9. Snape
8. Bellatrix
7.Order of the phoenix members/ Hogwarts teachers
6. Harry, Ginny, Hermoinie
5. Draco
4. Luna, Ron, Nevil
3. Shamus
2. Fleu ?
1. Filtch (Duh, squib.)

Just IMO. That's just silly, putting all the order of the phoenix members and hogwarts teachers on the same level. Kingsley is one of the most powerful wizards in the books. Also Harry is a far better dueler then Hermione and Ginny, Hermione may have more knowledge of magic, but Harry's always been superior at DADA. And do you mean Fleur as a 2? She was a Triwizard contestant, no way is she that weak.

~Bun Bun~
Originally posted by Dresta
That's just silly, putting all the order of the phoenix members and hogwarts teachers on the same level. Kingsley is one of the most powerful wizards in the books. Also Harry is a far better dueler then Hermione and Ginny, Hermione may have more knowledge of magic, but Harry's always been superior at DADA. And do you mean Fleur as a 2? She was a Triwizard contestant, no way is she that weak.

Yes. The way I grouped them it made sense to me. Now if I had broken it down even more, sure certain people would be higher or lower than each other.

Yes, I see Harry, Ginny and Hermione within the same power level. They all have their weakness and their strengths, but how "powerful" they are I see them equal. Harry has more experience with DADA. (Almost being killed numorious times can do that to a person.) Hermione has the knowlage, yes. With that knowlage she is able to do magic the others are not. Ginny is just showed as naturally powerful.

Fleur, Sure maybe she's not THAT weak but, I do not see her very powerful at all.

Feel free to post your own list.

leonheartmm
1. merlin-the prince of enchanters, the greatest magician in history
2. the three brothers who made the deathly hallows
3. voldemort
4. dumbledore{as he chooses not to employ the same tactics anencd magical types as voldemort
5.dumbledore's gay lover who he killed
6. slytherin/gryffindore
7. ravenclaw and hufflepuff
8. nicholas flamel'
9. harry
10. snape
11. the longbottoms
12. harry's dadm/mum
13.lucius malfoy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.