Solar flare threat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok

Symmetric Chaos
I guess we're about to find out how tough the grid is.

Grand-Moff-Gav
I'm sure all will be well.

Rogue Jedi
Oh shit we're ****ed.

Robtard
August 7th? So didn't it already happen?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Robtard
August 7th? So didn't it already happen?

It hasn't hit us yet. The light from the flare reached us on the 7th but the CME is much slower.

Robtard
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
It hasn't hit us yet. The light from the flare reached us on the 7th but the CME is much slower.

How ****ing rude is that? Taking its sweet ass time, like we've got nothing better to do than wait.

Shakyamunison
How ****ing rude is that? Taking its sweet ass time, like we've got nothing better to do than wait.
It will hit today.

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It will hit today.

At what time ?

I want to be outside, in case the radiation has a mutagen affect and turns me into a superman.

Shakyamunison
At what time ?

I want to be outside, in case the radiation has a mutagen affect and turns me into a superman.

You will know when all the power goe

King Castle
you'll gain the power to read gay men's minds

Robtard
Originally posted by King Castle
you'll gain the power to read gay men's minds

Funny, since I always know what you're thinking.

King Castle
prove it...

Robtard
prove it...

You're thinking of something to do with violence and general ass-kickery.

King Castle
nope...

was thinking about eating a cinnamon bun

Shakyamunison
nope...

In a violence and general ass-kickery way... laughing

inimalist
nope...

mmmmmmmm

Symmetric Chaos
nope...

Where did you get a cinnamon bun!

King Castle
my kitchen... also rub tart if you wanna know what i am thinking..

i am juggling the caloric intake of the bun and what i will have to give up during the day to stay within my allotted self imposed numbers and if i will have to run a set distance to work it off if i pass said numbers..

i see food like neo sees the matrix.

Shakyamunison
my kitchen... also rub tart if you wanna know what i am thinking..

i am juggling the caloric intake of the bun and what i will have to give up during the day to stay within my allotted self imposed numbers and if i will have to run a set distance to work it off if i pass said numbers..

i see food like neo sees the matrix.

And what does that have to do with a solar flare?

King Castle
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
And what does that have to do with a solar flare? i was asked a question and i answered it..

anyways back on topic since shaky is trying to get it back on..

a solar flare i dont think will give you any type of fantastical powers like the comics if you were struck by its rays and radiation..

if anything it would give you burns, produce more vitamin k and possible cancer or even causing blindness.

at least the negative effects have a higher chance of occurring then the benign effects which i think would be infinitesimal chance of occurring

lil bitchiness
It's not the end? Bah!

The only thing that always worried me about the end of the world is that only paranoid, hilbilly weirdo rejects are going to survive some devastating cataclysmic event, since they're the only ones building underground super shelters and stocking food.

King Castle
so who is the smart one now? stick out tongue

that is what i always looked forward to, knowing that the weak will perish and the strong will survive and these supposedly smart politicians and wantnot will get their come uppins.

unless its a meteor and a world wide flood or anything that destroys the planet then it doesnt matter smart, strong, slimy we all die.

BruceSkywalker
as long as this doesn't effect me when watching possible award winning movies between now and december than its all good

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
as long as this doesn't effect me when watching possible award winning movies between now and december than its all good

Of all the things a flare could do, that one is on the list.

Bicnarok

Admiral Akbar
Man..how bad do you think it would be if our planet suddenly shifted its poles right before the CME hit us.

Bicnarok

Admiral Akbar

jinXed by JaNx
inactive power grid= end of the world

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
I know, but what if the pole shift was sudden and not gradual. Hypothetical question.

Most people wouldn't notice. Planes would be down for a day or so, a few hikers might get lost.

Bicnarok
I know, but what if the pole shift was sudden and not gradual. Hypothetical question.

Some people navigating using a compass would get lost, would do GPS sale well.smile

Bicnarok
There seems to be a lot more activity to come. below is a sunspot which looks like an owl, and a video link of another massive solar flare.

http://www.spaceweather.com/swpod2010/14aug10/c4.mpg?PHPSESSID=a1foge7ji1abchnbm02gdvr3a3

http://www.spaceweather.com/submissions/pics/r/Rogerio-Marcon-AR_1093_Owl_1281697651.jpg

Deja~vu
I'm feeling kinda warm, is anyone else sorta feeling warm in here?

Admiral Akbar
Most people wouldn't notice. Planes would be down for a day or so, a few hikers might get lost.

I meant what if the pole shifted just as or just before a solar flare hit the planet. Would the weakened, or non-existent magnetic field cause serious problems, or not so much?

Maybe you did answer the question with that in mind, I just wanted to clarify.

Bicnarok

Flyattractor
mmmm I woulnd't be all that miffed if a LITTLE armeggedon happened.

Just a little one mind you.

Symmetric Chaos
I meant what if the pole shifted just as or just before a solar flare hit the planet. Would the weakened, or non-existent magnetic field cause serious problems, or not so much?

Oh, I'm not sure. It certainly provides some protection but our atmosphere seems like it would be a pretty good defense as well. Most likely the effects of the flare would just be magnified.

King Kandy

As far as I know, even a mid-transition pole would be effective against solar wind.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by King Kandy
As far as I know, even a mid-transition pole would be effective against solar wind.

Yeah, but how effective.

King Kandy
About the same as ever.

Bicnarok

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Yep, the magnetic field would shift but remain as strong, the problem is would the earth be facing the sun in the "right way" to repell the solar winds and flares.

Huh?

Jack Daniels
women

Bicnarok
Huh?

Now the north and south poles are futhest away from the equator, so the solar winds hit near the equator and go arround in some way and end up as N.S lights. If the Poles were AT the equator, taking the solar wind head on it might have a different effect.

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.