D.C. Meta Physics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cartesian Doubt
OMG, I can't belive my speculation about Final Crisis was actually right !

Me and Morison must be kindred spirits. smile

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=2333&page=3

Endless Mike
So the New Gods have no physical substance and are just ideas?

Superman can punch ideas now confused

Gecko4lif
Prime can punch dimension so it was only a matter of time

Galan007
Originally posted by Endless Mike

Superman can punch ideas now confused They are ideas given physical form. Mostly energy. That's why when a New God dies their body dematerializes and sublimates back to the source without a trace -- think of Obi-Wan and Yoda's deaths in Star Wars (except not quite as quick.)

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Galan007
They are ideas given physical form. Mostly energy. That's why when a New God dies their body dematerializes and sublimes back to the source without a trace -- think of Obi-Wan and Yoda's deaths in Star Wars.
But before that happens they leave a nasty mess.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Knockout-death.PNG

Galan007
^ Yup. A New God's sublimation isn't instant, but it is fairly rapid and cannot be stopped. It can only be slowed (Orion) or briefly redirected (Darkseid.)

Gecko4lif
Originally posted by Omega Vision
But before that happens they leave a nasty mess.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Knockout-death.PNG

I wonder if I could squeeze in a couple minutes wit that giant wet gaping hole embarrasment

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Endless Mike

Superman can punch ideas now confused

If its Platonic Meta Physics that Morison is using, he's implying that the underlying essence of everything is ideas, and that the material realm, Matter, energy, Substance, Primary secondary qualities are in fact, shadowy representations of these Ideas. I.e in the same way a shadow is a light representation of a body, the material universe is a shadowy of the True reality; the realms of Ideas or the Forms.

Material things like humans and Kryptonians, are combination's these shadowy representations.

The New Gods on the other hand originate from the Ideal realm, not the shadow realm. so In turn can basically do what they want with the material realm.

If u want a better comparison, Imagine that the material universe (The D.C. universe) is like a photograph, and the Ideal realm , is the thing, the photo was taken of. The New Gods, come from this Real world, I.e. the world the photo is representing. Their powers could be comparable to a photographer, using photo shop, I.e. they can basically do what they want with the representation, Including creating a representation of themselves in the photo. I could take a photo of some other place i had never been to, and then combine it with a photo of myself. that would then be considered a representation of myself.

To simplify, u can think of energy, I.e. the essence of everything material, as a shadowy representation of Ideas. So instead of matter giving rise to brains, which create Ideas, Ideas give rise to energy, which gives rise to matter, and then to brains. Plato believed that instead of brains creating Ideas, they became links to the Idea realm, I.e acting like a doorway to it. So instead of creating Ideas, we act as a "passport control" for them.

-Pr-
i thought we knew all this already? confused

Galan007
Originally posted by -Pr-
i thought we knew all this already? confused If you read Final Crisis and Superman Beyond, you should definitely know this.

-Pr-
If you read Final Crisis and Superman Beyond, you should definitely know this.

i did read them, and while i can't profess to understan everything that went on (due to not reading all the interviews), i got that part at least.

Galan007
^ thumb up

Final Crisis and it's tie-ins (Superman Beyond mostly) was the only comic book series that I've ever had to read multiple times just to understand the ideology behind it.

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. smile

Omega Vision
^ thumb up

Final Crisis and it's tie-ins (Superman Beyond mostly) was the only comic book series that I've ever had to read multiple times just to understand the ideology behind it.

That's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. smile
No Final Crisis was teh suckzors. I had to actually think to read it. ahuh

dur

Galan007
Originally posted by Omega Vision
No Final Crisis was teh suckzors. I had to actually think to read it. ahuh

dur duryes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.