Thrawn vs the New Republic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ares834
The events of The Thrawn Triliogy happen just as they do in the book, but during the Battle of Bilbringi Rukh does not murder Thrawn and the Noghri remain loyal to him. Would Thrawn have been able to conquer the galaxy, or would he have been defeated?

Assume Palpatine will not intefere.

Letum Lettow
At the very least, it would have still taken him a while to do it. He would be best served securing what he has after his defeat at Bilbringi(He was kind of going to lose, but he could survive it) then either pursuing the Rebellion some more or simply conquer what they don't have in preparation for the long war. The New Republic at this point is still quite divided.

truejedi
i think he had pretty much lost when he was killed, am i not right?

ares834
IIRC he was losing. However he was going to use the Interdictors to pull in more Star Destroyers and flank the Rebels. Granted even if he did win this, I doubt he would have been able to conquer the Rebellion.

truejedi
i believe he had just given the order to retreat, and told Paelleon that there was no need to win every battle, just the war. Then Paelleon turned to him after giving the order, and he was dead. IIRC.

ares834
Just reread the battle and it does seem that he was losing. He never gave the order to retreat however.

truejedi
if you have it, can you post it? I remember Ackbar had finally successfully set a trap for him, but I don't remember the exact circumstances.

ares834

ares834

Lord Lucien
Yeah I say he would have won.

truejedi
I think I agree. thanks for the post.

Mshinu
IIRC Pellaeon states in Specter of the Past that he still expected Thrawn to win the battle. Pellaeon was no Thrawn however so with his superior dead he sounded the retreat.

I think Thrawn still would have won at Bilbringi, but at great cost. Even so, his conquest of the galaxy would just be temporarily delayed and he would accomplish his goal at some point.

Pwned
Yeah, Thrawn would hae won. He even had his next few campaigns made to a level up to micromanagement (couldnt think of a better word)

I think that was said in Specter of the Past

Darth_Glentract
I don't know if I agree that Thrawn would have "won." Gained back more territory for the Empire, yeah, but conquer the galaxy? No.

Letum Lettow
Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
I don't know if I agree that Thrawn would have "won." Gained back more territory for the Empire, yeah, but conquer the galaxy? No. Eventually, he would have. In fact, the best bet would be to unite the parts of the Empire still ruled by other warlords.

If he can secure a good base, he could win. Easily. But it would take a while.

Lord Lucien
He would have crushed the New Republic, but run in to problems when Palpatine came along.

Letum Lettow
If Palpatine was a giant douche, yeah.

But if he lasted long enough to get ahold of the Eclipse...

That would have been awesome.

Lord Lucien
Palpatine had been purposefully withholding Imperial resources from Thrawn. Thrawn was, after all, trying to claim the galaxy for himself. You can imagine how Palpatine would feel about that.

ares834
Originally posted by Letum Lettow
Eventually, he would have. In fact, the best bet would be to unite the parts of the Empire still ruled by other warlords.

If he can secure a good base, he could win. Easily. But it would take a while.
The problem is I doubt Thrawn had the manpower to do it. If he won the Battle of Bilbringi he would still have been dealt crippling losses. And with Mount Tantiss destroyed I just can't see how he would get the manpower, I doubt recruiting would be very effective as Thrawn had far fewer worlds and, at this time, people had a less than favoriable view of the Empire.

Lord Lucien

truejedi
Thrawn trilogy is before DE?

Letum Lettow
Originally posted by truejedi
Thrawn trilogy is before DE? Yeah.

And unfortunately, the last peice of truly original SW fiction.

I think GL banned it or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.