The Watcher In The Woods (1980)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
How many of you know certain film titles, but take years - even decades - to get around to watching them? Without hardly seeing a frame of it, broadcast somewhere?

I have known about The Watcher In The Woods since I was a boy in the early 1980's. I think the book was even available to order through the school book program. I had only seen Lynn-Holly Johnson in one other film, as a figure skater in Ice Castles (1978) - though she was also a James Bond girl in For Your Eyes Only (1981)
The thing that seemd so strange about The Watcher In The Woods, was that it looked like a supernatural horror film - but it was released by Walt Disney Pictures!

This was part of that period - 1979 to 1983 - when Disney was in trouble finding audiences again, and started to experiment with more mature films; The Black Hole, Dragonslayer, Never Cry Wolf, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and others came out in that time. Until they created the Touchstone Picutres division in 1984, where they could put lots of adult content in those films.

On some random YouTube search this week, The Watcher In The Woods trailer popped up. Curious, I finally got my first look at the film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DFacqQp8uw

Even creepier than I could have imagined! And Lynn-Holly Johnson is pretty enough to remind me of Scarlett Johansson.

So I saw it via a download, and now think I will look for the DVD. It's not perfect, but very well made. Read about it here if you want to find out the troubled backstory between Disney executives and the filmmakers - who were aiming this to be Disney's 'Exorcist' - but watching it, it's best to walk in cold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Watcher_In_The_Woods

And now, with Disney doing sequels and contemplating remakes of films from that period (Tron & The Black Hole), there's talk that 'Watcher' could be another candidate for a redo.

MildPossession
Aww I remember watching The Watcher in the Woods a lot when I was younger, thanks to my Mum who is a massive Bette Davis fan.

roughrider
DVD is pretty much gone from the chain stores. I've ordered it on Amazon.

MildPossession

roughrider
Disney allowed the first DVD to be done by Anchor Bay entertainment. It had a ton of extras, including a booklet. That's become a collector's item on the web, for the prices they're charging. Their own DVD has a pair of alternate endings, plus two trailers. As long as it looks great (And they say it does), good enough.

roughrider
Got the DVD last week. Picture looks pretty good. But the menancing soundtrack sounded more intense the first time - perhaps because I watched on a download with headphones. Just have to turn it up louder, I guess.

jennifermoss
I have watched The Watcher in the Woods movie of 1980's but really didn't like it.As this movie will mot entertained us more.

Joe Buck
Watched this as a youth and was freaked out. Bought the DVD when it came out and enjoyed revisiting it. It's a good scary tale.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.