Deleted Scene

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ares834
A new deleted scene was realesed. Check it out really cool.

Deleted Scene

JediRobin23
cool.

I wonder if its going to be a scene during the movie in the blu ray release, or kept separate.
If during the movie, I feel it as a spoiler

ares834
Nah, Lucas is claiming he is keeping them seperate.

JediRobin23
I guess if he didn't add to the special edition, then he wont here.
probably best, as he wont have the surprise intro of luke in jabbas palace

queeq
It's a nice scene. It wouldn't work great cut into the movie I think. The lines are not very original, straight from ESB, but the shot in de cave is outstanding.

coolmovies
This scene was cut very late during filming This is what happpend when Lucus told fans when the SW saga is comming out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTt-R0BxJn0

Confirming earlier reports (see blu-ray.com, April 17), George Lucas himself announced today that the Star Wars films will be released on Blu-ray in 2011, in a six-movie box set. Speaking at the Celebration V convention in Orlando, Lucas said: "I wish I could say it was coming out this year, but it will come out next year." New, extensive special features will be featured, including documentaries, vintage behind-the-scenes moments, interviews, retrospectives and never-before-seen footage from the Lucasfilm archives.

One of those special features, a deleted scene from Return of the Jedi, premiered at the convention. In it, Luke Skywalker is seen asembling his new lightsaber before going to the palace of Jabba the Hutt.

queeq
Link doesn't work anymore. Taken down by Lucasfilm.

JediRobin23
already

what does taking it down have to do with reduced sales? or is it something else

~JP~
Here ya go. smile

http://tv.gawker.com/5612987/watch-luke-skywalker-become-a-jedi-knight-in-this-deleted-star-wars-scene

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2065/lucasarticlelarge106657.jpg

Sith Master X
I loved it. They should have left that in.

queeq
Na, it would have made it awkward. It would have slowed the movie down...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by queeq
Na, it would have made it awkward. It would have slowed the movie down...

HOw would of it slowed the movie down?? it's only 1min long
just as long as they didn't show him giving it to R2 it would be good.

I hope they do a good transfer, cause i don't want to be able to see the strings. and one effect they should redo is the star destroyer hitting the deathstar in VI

Sith Master X
Because it's a scene we're not used to, and had it been there from the very beginning, we'd have been used to it fitting right in with everything else.

I guess we'd have to watch the film with that scene in it to make a fair assessment as to whether or not it should have stayed, but I most definitely would have traded this minute...for one of the minute's used on Endor. I loved it.

queeq
Now that's a fair trade off... hehehehe

No, really, I think the whole idea of introducing Luke only late in the movie was a good move... You show him for one shot and then we have to wait for another 10 minutes for him to appear.

Plus I am not so impressed with the Vader lines... a clear rehash from ESB...

Sith Master X
Yeah, that's true.

queeq
But a beautiful shot nonetheless... Didn't know it existed. It wasn't in the book or the comic. And usually deleted scenes can be found in those.

Kazenji
Originally posted by darthmaul1

just as long as they didn't show him giving it to R2 it would be good.

Why would it be good??

when you cleary see him grab if off R2 later on during the sarlacc pit battle..

just shows you all the planning the group was gonna do to get Han back.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Why would it be good??

when you cleary see him grab if off R2 later on during the sarlacc pit battle..

just shows you all the planning the group was gonna do to get Han back.

Because then it would be a surprise when R2 shoots it out of his head.

roughrider
If I wanted them to add anything, it would be the sandstorm scene outside the Falcon, with the dialogue of Han thanking Luke for saving him.

queeq
Yup, although they did kinda put that content in the scene when they both fly off.

But hey, it was shot, maybe it's on the blu ray.

Sith Master X
Maybe they're going to paste Ewan McGregor in there at the end too next to Hayden's ghost. lol

queeq
And Mace... and Shaak-Ti.... and Plo Koon.... Heck, let's even add good ole Sidious. After all, he had a bad childhood, we can't really blame him.

ADarksideJedi
Very cool.

queeq
hehehe

mossman
Wow, I forgot this place existed, it's been so long since I posted...
Glad there's finally some new OT Star Wars goodness to talk about!

But a beautiful shot nonetheless... Didn't know it existed. It wasn't in the book or the comic. And usually deleted scenes can be found in those.

The scene where Luke builds his saber was in the rough draft and the revised rough draft of the script.
It also made it into the novelisation and the Radio Drama, although there the focus was more on Luke building his saber and talking with Artoo and Threepio about the mission rather than Vader trying to communicate with Luke.
I'll post the extracts when I get the chance.

The scene wasn't included in the shooting script, but, according to John Phillip Peecher's Making of ROTJ book, Hamill was called back in November 1982 to shoot "the scene where he builds his new lasersword" at the same time he did the pick up shots of new dialogue in the X-Wing (to cover the dialogue now missing as the Sandstorm scene had been cut by this point).

Anthony Daniels has also suggested in interviews that he shot part of this scene with Lucas and a small crew.
On top of this, some storyboards and a matte painting have been around on the net for a while (see below), and John Williams even scored the scene - the music heard on this clip was included on the Special Edition soundtrack album, and the liner notes explain: "After a bold resolution of Vader's theme, the music continues with TATOOINE RENDEZVOUS, most of which accompanies a sequence eliminated from the film. In it, Vader uses the Force to contact his son, Luke Skywalker."

My personal feeling, however, is that the first half of the scene was not shot - hence the recycled Vader dialogue, and what is (possibly) a newly constructed shot of Vader in his meditation chamber.
The shots of Vader striding down the corridor seem more likely to have been tacked on from a scene later in the movie which was also cut - scene 70, where Vader strides down the corridor to the elevator to seek an audiecne with Palpatine and is refused acces by the royal guards...

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1608/rotj1.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/241/rotj2.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6623/rotj3.jpg

roughrider
Yup, although they did kinda put that content in the scene when they both fly off.

But hey, it was shot, maybe it's on the blu ray.

Yeah, sure...I'd just like to see them play it out like they did in the novelization. I know why it was cut - Lucas thought it slowed momentum after the explosive escape from Jabba's Sail Barge. Still...

And Luke building the lightsaber did get into the EU, as a scene in Shadows Of The Empire.
I think part of the reason it was cut - which includes Vader trying to contact Luke from his chamber - was because they wanted to leave the parentage question open until they got to Dagobah, and have Yoda give the definitive 'Yes.'

queeq
Originally posted by mossman
Wow, I forgot this place existed, it's been so long since I posted...
Glad there's finally some new OT Star Wars goodness to talk about!

The scene where Luke builds his saber was in the rough draft and the revised rough draft of the script.
It also made it into the novelisation and the Radio Drama, although there the focus was more on Luke building his saber and talking with Artoo and Threepio about the mission rather than Vader trying to communicate with Luke.
I'll post the extracts when I get the chance.

The scene wasn't included in the shooting script, but, according to John Phillip Peecher's Making of ROTJ book, Hamill was called back in November 1982 to shoot "the scene where he builds his new lasersword" at the same time he did the pick up shots of new dialogue in the X-Wing (to cover the dialogue now missing as the Sandstorm scene had been cut by this point).

Anthony Daniels has also suggested in interviews that he shot part of this scene with Lucas and a small crew.
On top of this, some storyboards and a matte painting have been around on the net for a while (see below), and John Williams even scored the scene - the music heard on this clip was included on the Special Edition soundtrack album, and the liner notes explain: "After a bold resolution of Vader's theme, the music continues with TATOOINE RENDEZVOUS, most of which accompanies a sequence eliminated from the film. In it, Vader uses the Force to contact his son, Luke Skywalker."

My personal feeling, however, is that the first half of the scene was not shot - hence the recycled Vader dialogue, and what is (possibly) a newly constructed shot of Vader in his meditation chamber.
The shots of Vader striding down the corridor seem more likely to have been tacked on from a scene later in the movie which was also cut - scene 70, where Vader strides down the corridor to the elevator to seek an audiecne with Palpatine and is refused acces by the royal guards...

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/1608/rotj1.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/241/rotj2.jpg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6623/rotj3.jpg

HGreat post, dude. And good analysis. I do think the Vader shots were leftovers from the ESB shoot.

I wonder then how this scene was meant: just a shot? Or did they really shoot the whole building scene. Now it looks like he is adjusting it or summin...

coolmovies
great picture looks cool

queeq
A big version would do nicely as a wallpaper.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.