Is there a way to determine whether..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shiv
.. a joke/sketch or witty remark made -on the spur of the moment- will be well received or viewed as an offensive and/or threatening gesture before you make it?

Discuss..

§P0oONY
So you're asking: "How can you tell if theyfound it amusing or offensive?"

Erm... It's kind of obvious through their reaction. no?

Zampanó

shiv
Two days ago I presented a carefully worded question to a 'friend' using lyrics in the chorus of The Bed Intruder Video which has been, and is currently making headlines worldwide.

I have a rough idea of what they think is funny and what they don't think is funny.

Long story short The joke was not well received.

Hence my desire to discuss ways in which a regular guy or girl with no experience as a professional stand up artist or comedian can determine ahead of 'time' whether a spontaneous attempt at humor will ellicit a positive or a negative reaction.

§P0oONY

Bardock42
Originally posted by shiv
.. a joke/sketch or witty remark made -on the spur of the moment- will be well received or viewed as an offensive and/or threatening gesture before you make it? Even in the spur of the moment.

Discuss..

If you know your audience you can guess very well whether a joke will be well received.

Rogue Jedi
Fire in the hole!!!

Dr Mystery
As for stand up comics and such test their new material amoungst material they already know works when on stage, gauging the audience's reaction. Every comedian has died on stage at some point in their career.

That's right. There is no 100% guarantee that an audience will laugh. The way I see it, if I find something funny chances are the audience will too. And remember stand-up comedy audiences have paid to laugh and are expecting to laugh so it's not as hard as it seems, just be confident and you'll get laughs even if what you're saying is truly sick.

Bicnarok

ADarksideJedi
I think it depends on how you say it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.