Would you like to see Sentry returning as a hero at some point?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Warlord
I was thinking it somedays ago and I think that if it's done right it might be interesting.

What do you guys say?

TheTyrant
He's definitely gonna return.

Bentley
Age of the Sentry would be interesting to see again.

The other one sucks, if he comes back it should be resurrected as a powerless human just to state that Thor killed him despite his will to live.

"It had to be done"

Warlord
Originally posted by Bentley
Age of the Sentry would be interesting to see again.

character hatred aside, that's what I was thinking...bring him back and actually make him what he was SUPPOSED to be.

I think it would be interesting

roughrider
Is there another group he could join? Thor is with the Avengers again.
DC keeps Superman and Captain Marvel on separate teams.

Warlord
well...seeing there are so many avengers teams nowadays...wink

Bentley
Originally posted by Warlord
well...seeing there are so many avengers teams nowadays...wink

He could get into the dead Avengers team I talked about in the Chaos War thread shifty

Gecko4lif
Sentry would be good if they didnt wank the shit out of him

and if they retconned his shitty history and personality

BruceSkywalker
no he is dead as a doorknob, but you know marvel will eventually bring him back.. but he'll just lose to thor again laughing out loud

The Nuul
Who cares.

Cartesian Doubt
No !!!!!

ankur29
Originally posted by roughrider
Is there another group he could join? Thor is with the Avengers again.
DC keeps Superman and Captain Marvel on separate teams.

they forgot about CM altogther sad

Q99
Nooo, not really. Maybe in a few decades.

Rather, they tried to take the Marvel family in a 'brand new direction,' which proceeded to garner very little attention.

Warlord
Originally posted by The Nuul
Who cares.

some would like him to return some not opinions vary buddy.
Marvel just has to do it right this time

Q99
some would like him to return some not opinions vary buddy.
Marvel just has to do it right this time

The right time isn't for awhile. If you do a return too soon after "die for real," it loses the punch and makes the character have less dramatic tension since people won't believe future deaths and such.

Warlord
^ I agree with that...

King Kandy
Just ship him into space. It would suit him much better.

-Pr-
I was thinking it somedays ago and I think that if it's done right it might be interesting.

What do you guys say?

Not with Bendis at the helm.

Warlord
Originally posted by -Pr-
Not with Bendis at the helm.

tbh I'd rather put my favorite characters on ice than have Bendis or Loeb writing them. My most anticipated title (Avengers) has been mediocre (art didn't help either) so far

basilisk
It would be cool if Sentry came back...

...only to be immediately killed off again.

Omega Vision
He was an experiment by Marvel, an experiment that clearly failed.

Let the dead rest for a change.

The Nuul
Wait, wheres all of his fanboys?

Warlord
IMO the character started really good as the initial series were interesting but Marvel instead of developing him, ruined him....

Also IMO OV's sig is scary. Who the **** is this guy?

GGS
Death was the kindest option for the character at that point imo after being nerfed and a joke for so many years after a promising start.

Omega Vision
IMO the character started really good as the initial series were interesting but Marvel instead of developing him, ruined him....

Also IMO OV's sig is scary. Who the **** is this guy?
Sokar. The coolest villain to ever get killed in his onscreen debut.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Sokar

dmills
No. The character was never successfully woven into the fabric of the mosaic that is Marvel history. 10 years from now ppl won't be clamoring for his return like say, Mar-Vell. Nobody gives a damn.

Badabing
Marvel screwed Sentry up. Too many personality glitches, retconning his origins, erratic personal life, power set all over the place, etc. Sometimes heroes need to just that, and not someone we can relate to. If they ever bring Sentry back, Marvel needs to do things better. Right now I'd much rather see the Blue Marvel get developed.

Warlord
Originally posted by dmills
No. The character was never successfully woven into the fabric of the mosaic that is Marvel history.

that was poetic...

dmills
^^^LOL! It's true. When you look at Marvel's history, does it matter worth a damn or not if he ever exisisted as a character? Not really. He had some nice feats, but nothing that'll be etched in time.

Warlord
agreed...I was just thinking that the original idea had so much potential in comparison to what they actually did with the character...

let's hope that other characters won't get ruined that way...

The Nuul
Agreed, the judgement has passed.

We ban this shitty character from KMC.

The new good character on the block shall be Blue Marvel!

bbrem123
they make sentry the greatest hero ever in his begining series...only to have him become a ***** later on....not the best way to work the character

i dont mind the void being there once and a while...but that really isnt the case with sentry...void never goes away and kinda make the sentry character suck

they should have just keep him like he was in the first series and how he was in age of the sentry seroes...make him overcome great treats the way people like supes and thor do with will and determination...dont just give the guy powers to rape everybody who crosses his path

i kno making him more like supes makes him a ripoff character but it worked much better then what they have been doing...and they have plenty of room to make the character unique and less superman like with the void aspect and personality\

but who the hell knows what they r gonna do...one can only guess

Bentley
Sentry should be alone having Age of heroish adventures, maybe in the Marvel Adventures brand and actually be something akin to Silver Age Superman instead of being force fed in every other book.

I'm kind of waiting for Blue Marvel to become crazy and be killed by Thor wink

Warlord
Originally posted by Bentley

I'm kind of waiting for Blue Marvel to become crazy and be killed by Thor wink

laughing

willRules
that was poetic...

I was thinking the same thing!

Stoic
Sentry should make a comeback, Marvel should find a way to solidify his fractured psyche, and bring him back.

Galan007
Apparently I'm in the minority, but I thought Sentry was written pretty well up until Dark Reign/Siege. Not just because he was transformed into a cosmic crab (a level of ridiculousness I shouldn't have to extrapolate on), but also because even his good persona was portrayed with the demeanor of a naive teenager most of the time.

But when I think back to some of his earlier appearances (his self-titled series' and New Avengers mainly), imo the guy had a refreshing depth to his character. We knew he had an incredible amount of power, we knew he wanted to be a hero, but we also knew he was a mental/emotional train wreck that could literally snap at any second.

BlackZero30x
i lost all respect for his character after i read what he did to MM. they turned him completely into some gay "i can do anything" character.

tkitna
I wont buy a Marvel comic book until they do bring him back.

Estacado
**** Sentry.estahuh

CosmicComet
I wasn't fond of him, but I'm starting to miss him. Sentry the hero that is, not Sentry the mad man in tights and super symbiote inside of him.

Dum Dum Dugan
I want him to come back if pretty constantly potrayed at near full power.

mikemaluk

JakeTheBank
He should stay dead forever.

WhiteWitchKing
We've got Thor and Surfer. Sentry isn't needed or wanted.

Stoic
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Sentry would be good if they didnt wank the shit out of him

and if they retconned his shitty history and personality

No all that they would have to do is write the past off as him going through a sort of incubation period. Sort of like his human mind could not compensate with all of the power that he housed, and once they brought him back they could just give him a Spock type of personality. This would explain the schitzoid personality disorder that plagued the character, and would truly put this Void stupidity aside making the two truly one.

srankmissingnin
I say bring him back. Sentry was the first Superman homage (including Superman), that had some pathos and interesting character traits. People were mad that did have the same bland, static, one dimensional personality of Superman... but why would Sentry be Superman when Superman is off being Superman? The unstable personality is what made him work. What if a mentally unstable and deeply deranged person had the powers of Superman? Great pitch, now bring him back and do something with the character that lives up to the premise.

Bouboumaster
ALL HAIL THE CRAAAB!

No, seriously, I hope his sorry ass stay dead, unless if it's for Surfer, Hulk or Hercules to beat the shit out of him.

the ninjak
I loved the Sentry and his schizophrenia. A rare character that nobody appreciated.

And he should stay dead. As he wanted.

-K-M-
No leave him dead. I was a big fan of the chracter after his first mini, but after he appeared in New Avengers he became a pointless character that would often flee battles having a mental attack and became way to unstable. This was supposed to be the "bravest and greatest hero of them all" mind you.

Bendis ruined the character for me.

the ninjak
Originally posted by -K-M-
No leave him dead. I was a big fan of the chracter after his first mini, but after he appeared in New Avengers he became a pointless character that would often flee battles having a mental attack and became way to unstable. This was supposed to be the "bravest and greatest hero of them all" mind you.

Bendis ruined the character for me.

Sentry's psychological disorfers were why he was a good character!

Why do people hate on the fact so much? If Sentry was just another Superman he would be as boring as Superman. Perfect characters are dull.

-K-M-
He wasnt a Superman rip-off in his first mini, to me he was a VERY interesting character and I became a fan. Even his second mini was decent and played up the Void and Sentry interaction I abit more, but then it went all downhill when Bendis got him.

roughrider
If they bring him back, they might go the Superboy Prime route and play up his insanity and the Void, blah blah.

I'm still waiting to see how Marvel will tackle Miracleman instead, after acquiring him three years ago.

JakeTheBank
Superman isn't perfect, though. Anyone who's read enough Superman comics know that he does have faults and makes mistakes. Clark's an incredibly layered and interesting character as well; not sure why people flock to the Sentry just because he's "crazy", as if that in of itself makes him more interesting.

Sentry being retroactively forced into decades worth of Marvel comics does him no favors. And to date, Fallen Sun still reeks of being one of the most blatant writer wank stories I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

Existere
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I say bring him back. Sentry was the first Superman homage (including Superman), that had some pathos and interesting character traits. People were mad that did have the same bland, static, one dimensional personality of Superman... but why would Sentry be Superman when Superman is off being Superman? The unstable personality is what made him work. What if a mentally unstable and deeply deranged person had the powers of Superman? Great pitch, now bring him back and do something with the character that lives up to the premise. Nobody's mad that Sentry wasn't Superman. Superman fans don't want that, because Clark's already doing a better job being Superman than Sentry would, and Superman haters don't want that because, well, they don't like Superman in the first place.

Sentry isn't well liked because his 'character development' was garbage, and his entire concept was foisted on readers and fans. There are a great number of characters out there already dealing with mental instability and they're doing it in a manner much more nuanced, well-paced and engaging than the goofiness that was Bob Reynold's entire presence in New Avengers and beyond.

-K-M-
Originally posted by Existere
Nobody's mad that Sentry wasn't Superman. Superman fans don't want that, because Clark's already doing a better job being Superman than Sentry would, and Superman haters don't want that because, well, they don't like Superman in the first place.

Sentry isn't well liked because his 'character development' was garbage, and his entire concept was foisted on readers and fans. There are a great number of characters out there already dealing with mental instability and they're doing it in a manner much more nuanced, well-paced and engaging than the goofiness that was Bob Reynold's entire presence in New Avengers and beyond.

thumb up

srankmissingnin
Nobody's mad that Sentry wasn't Superman. Superman fans don't want that, because Clark's already doing a better job being Superman than Sentry would, and Superman haters don't want that because, well, they don't like Superman in the first place.

A cursory glance of this thread and the posts are either a) keep him dead, or b) bring him back and make him what he was "supposed to be," the greatest hero ever. Sounds like people want him to be Superman to me...

His character development was fine. He is a paranoid schizophrenic with a massive god complex... and near limitless godlike powers. There is nothing subtle or nuanced about that diagnoses.

JakeTheBank
Marvel already has the greatest hero ever. His name is Steven Grant Rogers. Or, if your mileage varies, Peter Parker.

It's just funny how people want Marvel to have a Superman archetype character, which they already have several, but instead of just someone with the powerset, they also want someone to be portrayed as the "greatest hero of them all". And usually, these same people hate Superman or find him uninteresting because he's "perfect".

Thanks, but no thanks. Marvel creating a character that was a complete Gary Stu, forcing him down our throats, and worse, forcing him into decades worth of established canon just to put him over was probably one of the dumber ideas the House of Ideas had. Bendis turning him into a villain to be killed off was just about the only thing he could do.

Existere
A cursory glance of this thread and the posts are either a) keep him dead, or b) bring him back and make him what he was "supposed to be," the greatest hero ever. Sounds like people want him to be Superman to me...

His character development was fine. He is a paranoid schizophrenic with a massive god complex... and near limitless godlike powers. There is nothing subtle or nuanced about that diagnoses. Well, I just took my own cursory glance through this three-page thread and it seemed like people were largely on either team "leave him dead" or team "...maybe if they do it right this time?". People aren't easily categorized though, and opinions are all over the place. If people want Sentry to be Superman, that doesn't ring a lot of sense to my ears, but whatever.

There should be plenty of opportunity for subtle or nuanced development when writing a paranoid schizo with a massive god complex and nearly limitless powers that he doesn't really understand. Sentry's entire direction as a character felt forced, awkward and uninspiring, and it insisted on dominating Marvel's focus until he was dead. Nobody should want that to return.

I mean, christ, Typhoid Mary has had better writing.

the ninjak

His character development was fine. He is a paranoid schizophrenic with a massive god complex... and near limitless godlike powers. There is nothing subtle or nuanced about that diagnoses.

thumb up Sentry was a drug addict thug with addled poor intelligence who obtained near ultimate power. With that power came the urge to deal with the insanity by becoming the personification of heroism. Unfortunately an insidious counter personality emerged and grabbed the mutant Mastermind (who manipulated Jean Grey Phoenix) and used the power to erase his existence from every bodies memories. He became multiple hermits. A home bound hermit, A self imprisoned powerhouse and a comic character.

Once released he emerged once again the Sentry but couldn't hold his fears in check like a normal schizophrenic. Barely able to hold his head together at times like a person on a bad trip. And other times slightly in control and realizing new potentials. But with those new potentials came worser side effects. He kept recreating his wife who was one of his anchors. Morbid.

and eventually Osborn took control and allowed Sentry to completely let lose. The final version of Void was not an unstoppable entity simply due to the fact that Sentry upon realizing what he was wished with all his heart to commit suicide but couldn't do it himself. He was also so weak psychologically that he actually embraced the Void's promise of possible freedom through acceptance. Truly tragic.

Once the fallen Helicarrier knocked the Sentry back into control like a simple slap on the face. And seeing what he had done. He forced Thor to do what he couldn't do himself. Death through Odinforce. And there he will remain finally at peace.

A great character. And the sheer representation of the balance of nature. And its consequence. Sentry was also a powerful analogy of drug use.

Bendis didn't screw the Sentry. The Skrulls tricking Reynolds into leaving the Earth in fear of his own power whilst the Secret Invasion commenced was cool. Everybody laughed and hated it. Mocking the character but it was perfect. His actions amongst the New Avengers and Dark Avengers weren't badly written nor was his takedown of Molecule Man he simply had that potential. Molecule Man showed him his potential briefly and the fact that he didn't show such feats afterwards was another analogy of the drug user, having inspiring thoughts through inspiration then forgetting it later.

He should stay dead.

srankmissingnin
Well, I just took my own cursory glance through this three-page thread and it seemed like people were largely on either team "leave him dead" or team "...maybe if they do it right this time?". People aren't easily categorized though, and opinions are all over the place. If people want Sentry to be Superman, that doesn't ring a lot of sense to my ears, but whatever.

There should be plenty of opportunity for subtle or nuanced development when writing a paranoid schizo with a massive god complex and nearly limitless powers that he doesn't really understand. Sentry's entire direction as a character felt forced, awkward and uninspiring, and it insisted on dominating Marvel's focus until he was dead. Nobody should want that to return.

I mean, christ, Typhoid Mary has had better writing.

Typhoid Mary doesn't have a god complex or powers that add credence to that belief.

Sentry is what Lex Luther fears in Superman, only worse. Lex worries that Superman's powers are too much for one man and that the absolute power will corrupt anyone but the most noble. Well not only is Bob morally ill-equiped to handle the power, he is mentally ill-equiped to handle it as well. He is insane. There isn't anything subtle about him. I don't see how you can take an impotent paranoid schizophrenic with a deep seated inferiority complex, give him limitless god like powers that create a god complex in on of his alters and expect anything but an off the rails crazy train.

Newjak
As he was at the end... He should say dead.

That being said you never know some writer might come and revive him and we could get great stories from him.

But odds are you could just as likely make a new character and do the same.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.