What's Your iPhone Killer/Dream phone?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WhiteWitchKing
So my 2 year contract is about to end with T-Mobile. And I'm thinking about getting a smart phone. So many choices out there including the iPhone. But with a lot of phones and specs, they're limited to certain carriers.

So if you can have your own dream phone, what would it be and on what network would you want it to be carried on? Any other specs you want on it that's not on the market right now for phones?

Phone: Droid X
http://www.letsgomobile.org/images/news/motorola/motorola-droid-x.jpg

Physical Keyboard:
http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/motorola-droid-2-gizmodo.jpg

Carrier: T-Mobile since I prefer the GSM network more.

That'll do. I don't ask for much. big grin

§P0oONY
Mine is one that has a phone book, number keys... And none of that other shit

Dr. Leg Kick
I'm always emailing for business and school, so this is the phone I prefer.

Blackberry Tour for Verizon

http://www.hypebeast.com/image/2009/06/blackberry-tour-9630.jpg

jinXed by JaNx
The perfect iphone is nearly here. There already exists a $200 iphone with a two way camera that allows you to use skype just to bad you have to use At&t

MildPossession
^ This.

I use my phone to text and talk only, that's all. Everything else is separate for me.

Bicnarok

Mindship
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
So my 2 year contract is about to end with T-Mobile. And I'm thinking about getting a smart phone. So many choices out there including the iPhone. But with a lot of phones and specs, they're limited to certain carriers.

So if you can have your own dream phone, what would it be and on what network would you want it to be carried on? Any other specs you want on it that's not on the market right now for phones?

I recently purchased my first smartphone: the Droid Incredible (through Verizon), and I'm very happy with it. Before I made my decision, I spoke to other people using the Incredible and other smartphones to get a sense of the pros and cons of each device, and did some online research. I also asked myself what do I want from a smartphone, which is where I suggest you start: What do you want a smartphone for?

Re: the Incredible...
- Most of the online reviews are very good, as what actual owners/users told me.
- Some found the virtual keyboard a drawback. I don't: I just think of it as learning new typing skills -- heck, I make mistakes typing on a regular keyboard until I slow down. Besides, there's a speech function for nearly everything (eg, googling, texting, navigation, etc), so theoretically, you would never have to type at all.
- Battery power. Again: what are you going to use the smart phone for? If mostly as a cell phone, the battery can last (I'm estimating) at least 24-36 hours w/o recharging. If you're gonna go all tricorder with the Incredible, then figure on 6-7 hours.
- The screen is hard to see in bright daylight, but it is still viable. It's annoying but not incapacitating. Cloudy days are fine, and inside, the screen is bright and clear. The Incredible's camera and video are also quite good, at least for my purposes.
- Internet surfing is quick and effective.

I could go on, but overall, I find this device truly Incredible (I would even nickname it the Droid You've-got-to-be-f*cking-kidding-me-I-can't-believe-it-does-this-too).

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Mindship
I recently purchased my first smartphone: the Droid Incredible (through Verizon), and I'm very happy with it. Before I made my decision, I spoke to other people using the Incredible and other smartphones to get a sense of the pros and cons of each device, and did some online research. I also asked myself what do I want from a smartphone, which is where I suggest you start: What do you want a smartphone for?

Re: the Incredible...
- Most of the online reviews are very good, as what actual owners/users told me.
- Some found the virtual keyboard a drawback. I don't: I just think of it as learning new typing skills -- heck, I make mistakes typing on a regular keyboard until I slow down. Besides, there's a speech function for nearly everything (eg, googling, texting, navigation, etc), so theoretically, you would never have to type at all.
- Battery power. Again: what are you going to use the smart phone for? If mostly as a cell phone, the battery can last (I'm estimating) at least 24-36 hours w/o recharging. If you're gonna go all tricorder with the Incredible, then figure on 6-7 hours.
- The screen is hard to see in bright daylight, but it is still viable. It's annoying but not incapacitating. Cloudy days are fine, and inside, the screen is bright and clear. The Incredible's camera and video are also quite good, at least for my purposes.
- Internet surfing is quick and effective.

I could go on, but overall, I find this device truly Incredible (I would even nickname it the Droid You've-got-to-be-f*cking-kidding-me-I-can't-believe-it-does-this-too).

Thanks. But the Incredible is on Verizon. I want to stay with T-Mobile. It's a big preference. But I also want it to run on Android. Right now, the phone I want is HD2 but it's running on Windows Mobile. So I'm still holding out to see if HTC or Motorola are going to release android versions of their smartphones. I like the designs of the HD2, HTC Droid, Incredible, and Droid X.

dadudemon
Pretty much any phone that has a capacitive touch interface and a decent sized screen, is better than the iPhone. I strongly dislike Apple products after having gotten my first and last Apple product: the iPhone 3GS.

It's really hard for any phone running, stock, an Android OS (2.1 and better) to be worse than any iteration of iPhone (except the iPhone 4, but only because of the cameras being where everyone begged Apple to put them BEFORE the first Gen iPhone even hit the market.)

WanderingDroid
I'm thinking of getting an iPhone but not until all the bugs and issues have been clear.....yeah, uh-huh...

shiv

Peach
iPhones are really not very good phones. People just go insane over them because they're Apple. It's a status symbol more than anything else, just like every Apple product - you're paying a high price for a brand name on an inferior product.

I have a quasi-smartphone, and I'm fine with it. I'd like an Android phone at some point, but it's not a necessity. So long as I can make calls and send texts, that's the most important thing. Being able to go online and all that is certainly nice, but not required by any means.

Bardock42
iPhones are quite good devices. They do some of the things you want them to do very well, and the Apps they have tend to be much better than anything the competition has. It's glossy and easy to use, but if you want to do more with your device you should get a different one. Android phones are good on the whole, though they lack some features, however development on them is insane, and it definitely has the second best app market out there. I've been playing a bit with an N900 and they are really, really good, if you get over the insanely bad user interface. Nokia stopped with Maemo though and i am not sure if MeeGo will be as good, considering Nokia's size though, it is definitely one worth to watch.

It's quite exciting at the moment, there's lots of options for whatever you want, and it's just getting better and better. If I had to spend money right now I'd probably get a Dell Streak actually, but really I am currently waiting for the next Android phones, I'm sure there'll be some nice things coming especially if 3.0. is going to be as good as it seems.

To be honest, I somewhat agree with what Spooony said, I look at smartphones less as phones, and more as computers.

dadudemon
The Incredible, Evo, and Captivate are all better phones than the iPhone 4...by leap and bounds.

There's much better ones coming out, as well.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
The Incredible, Evo, and Captivate are all better phones than the iPhone 4...by leap and bounds.

Lol, I remember me making a similar point to you about a year ago. However the truth is of course that it depends what your parameters are, and while I agree for me and in essence, why do you think they are better, based on what qualities?

Don Corleone
Originally posted by dadudemon

Just got a 2 year plan with Verizon for the Incredible. Best phone I've ever had . wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.