Favourite Series

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

§P0oONY
Similar to favourite trilogy but series. Therefore can be more than just 3 (and as their is a trilogy thread I'll be leaving out The Godfather).

I searched but couldn't find, so I apologise if it has been done.

Mine:

1) Rocky - From the fantastic original to the largely underrated Rocky V, we follow the life and career of the warm hearted boxer as he fights his way to the top. We feel genuinely happy when he succeeds and sad when he falters. The series is not without it's flaws and you feel it did lose it's way around Rocky III/IV... but it's return with Rocky Balboa brought back the same feelings you get in the original. Every film pack brilliant music, better training montages and it truly is action/drama at it's best. These are films that I will pick up and watch at any time... even Rocky V.

2) Die Hard - To me there is nothing more fun then chilling out watching a Die Hard film. They're funny, action filmed and in their essence, a great bloke film... Not to mention John McClain kicks arse... Yippee-ki-yay mother****ers.

3) Saw - Probably quite a weird choice for a lot of you, however I really enjoy them. Granted the series has run it's course and in all honestly I'm dreading "Saw 3D". People seem to get the wrong end of the stick when it comes to Saw in my opinion, they think it is all about being voyeuristic watching people die in gruesome ways, but to me they're about the overall storyline and the final twist, which every saw film does really well. There aren't many films that can get me so intrigued... yet disgusted.

Impediment
Hmmm.............

My first choice, to some, would be the Star Wars franchise, but the OT is the only thing I truly adore. The PT is shit. Shitty ass shit. Always and forever. The OT is, however, my all time favorite trilogy.

Rogue Jedi
The OT thumb up

Yeah, the PT was a bit lacking. I wouldn't call it shit, but it was certainly not as good. AOTC was shit, can't lie haermm

§P0oONY
With "Favourite Series" you have to take the whole cake... Not just the half you like. If it's still Star Wars with the PT then that it fine.

SnakeEyes
I can't think of any series I really like as a whole.

K.Diddy
beer Please Keep in Mind I have always been a horror fan,so here are mine

1.Nightmare On Elm Street-There are a couple of weak movies in this series I dont like as much as the others but in my opinion this is the best series of movies in all time.

2.Friday The 13th-Same applies here,Jason has had his share of crap movies but for horror fans even if it's just for the kills,you cant go past this.

3.Indiana Jones-I know the fourth movie was a bit weaker,but as it no longer counts as a trilogy,it still has to be up there in the best series list.

4.Rocky-Yes,I honestly find every movie in this series entertaining and love them all.

5.Star Wars-Unfortunately the second trilogy came no where close to the first,but how can you go past it?.

Scythe
Aliens series, Predator series and Jurassic Park series for me.

Kazenji
Nightmare On Elm Street
Predator
Terminator
Star Wars
James Bond

could be more added later on.

MildPossession
I'm like SnakeEyes, can't think of a series where I have liked EVERY film in it.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm like SnakeEyes, can't think of a series where I have liked EVERY film in it. YOu don't have to like every film in it....

Darth Martin
http://www.imagine18.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/James-Bond-Logo-Poster.jpeg

ADarksideJedi
Star Wars and Pirates and The Godfather and Ab Fab(english)

§P0oONY
Absolutely Fabulous isn't a film. stick out tongue

MildPossession
Yes this is a FILM section...

Terminator - except for 3 and 4(enjoyed four but not a favourite)
Alien - except 3, and the vs movies

§P0oONY
The versus films really are a different series IMO. Alien(s) is a good series though.

Aede Madavan

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Darth Martin
http://www.imagine18.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/James-Bond-Logo-Poster.jpeg

smokin' How did I forget that

§P0oONY
I forgot it too. I don't think it breaks my top 3 anyway. There are too many average films in it.

RE: Blaxican
Alien Vs Predator
Star Wars

§P0oONY
Alien...... vs Predator? What the f**k? stick out tongue

dadudemon

ADarksideJedi

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by dadudemon
Some people, like my little brother, really like the Avs.P movies.

They are alright, but not that great. A way to pass a lazy Saturday afternoon, IMO.

Yeah, I feel the way you do. They weren't great, but their not terrible either.

However their not a series. mmm

Impediment
After mulling it over, I've chosen The Godfather, Indiana Jones (even the god awful Crystal Skull film), and Star Trek (original, NG, and reboot).

Star Wars is still #1.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I thought you would know what I was talking about.It is a tv movie but I still like to add it. smile It's not a TV movie either. It's a sitcom.

ADarksideJedi
They made a tv movie out of it.Two in fact I had seen them.Anyway I forgot to add "Lord of the Rings"

§P0oONY
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
They made a tv movie out of it.Two in fact I had seen them.Anyway I forgot to add "Lord of the Rings" No... pretty sure there isn't. They did feature length specials, which were broadcast episodically. Sure there weren't any films though. no2
(Unless we're talking about the French film based on the series.)

If there is one thing I know about it's British sitcoms.

MildPossession
Ab Fab has never been a tv movie. It's a television series. Go talk about it in the tv section.

SnakeEyes
I like it when you assert yourself!

Dr Will Hatch
Star Wars is Number One

Toy Story is Number Two(best trilogy too). How come no one has mentioned TS yet?

dadudemon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Yeah, I feel the way you do. They weren't great, but their not terrible either.

However their not a series. mmm

There's two, which constitutes a series.

BTW, Predators is considered the sequal to AVP:R.

And the Alien and Predator series are considered one in the same. The AVP portion is part of the A and P portions: so, technically, they are the same series. (Same universe/mythos)

On top of that, an AVP 3 film was announced like 2 years ago.

MildPossession
whip Back onto topic now!

Dave_97
Alien

Bicnarok
Alien Matrix & Terminator

Impediment
SHIT! I totally forgot about the Toy Story series! Definitely a must see for anyone!

Alien and Aliens are classics. Alien 3 and 4 were just "meh", if you ask me.

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Alien Matrix & Terminator

roll eyes (sarcastic) The sequels to Matrix were so poor compared to the first that this doesn't come even close to a best trilogy or series.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Impediment
SHIT! I totally forgot about the Toy Story series! Definitely a must see for anyone!

Alien and Aliens are classics. Alien 3 and 4 were just "meh", if you ask me. I'd personally just like to call it "The Pixar Series"... Would definitely take the title of my favourite series.. Not a bad film amongst them. Ever Cars was decent.

dadudemon
Originally posted by K.Diddy
roll eyes (sarcastic) The sequels to Matrix were so poor compared to the first that this doesn't come even close to a best trilogy or series.

I thought the sequals were even better than the first film. The Matrix series is one of my favorite movies: in my top 10. The second film was my fave: it is the Empire Strikes Back of the series, imo.

Kazenji
Originally posted by dadudemon
BTW, Predators is considered the sequal to AVP:R.

Says who?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
Says who?

Says the contracts and "character" license agreements. If the legel agreements aren't enough: just watch the films. You can then logically conclude that they are from the same universe.

Kazenji
No shit that they're from the same universe but where does it say its a sequel to AVP:R??

dadudemon
Originally posted by Kazenji
No shit that they're from the same universe but where does it say its a sequel to AVP:R??

It's the contractual sequal, not literal plot sequal. In fact, Robert Rodriguez intended it to NOT be a direct sequal: independent of the events in AVP.

However, it is a timeline sequal, within the universe: the events just take place independent of the AVP events.

Do some google searching: you'll find what you need.

Edit - Just thought of an excellent tie-in: the Marvel movies being released, as of late, that will all tie-in to an "Avengers" film. All of those Marvel films (Iron man1 and 2, Thor, etc.) are building up to the avengers film/s. The Marvel films are a tad more complicated in that regard, but they are all the same universe with a relatively sequential timeline.

MildPossession
I'd say that series then if it counts, forgetting Cars, didn't think much of it at all. But never been disappointed by Pixar outside of that film.

Mr Parker

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Yeah it would have been nice with the Rocky movies if they could have just skipped through those god awful Rocky 4 and Rocky 5 movies,not making those films and just fast forwarded to Rocky Balboa.that would have been sweet.

erm What Did you not like about Rocky 5?

Kaibs
My favorite series would be...

1) Star Wars

2) Halloween

3) Die Hard

4) Lord of the Rings

K.Diddy
Originally posted by Kaibs
My favorite series would be...

1) Star Wars

2) Halloween

3) Die Hard

4) Lord of the Rings

erm The Halloween series sucked in my opinion,the only decent films were the first 2,the rest are horrible

the ninjak
erm The Halloween series sucked in my opinion,the only decent films were the first 2,the rest are horrible

Yeah only the first and the Paul Rudd one were any good.

Kaibs

I dunno. Depends on the fandom I suppose. Michael Myers is one of my favorite movie characters so I tend to enjoy his movies more even if they aren't that great. Although 1, and 2 are the best (obviously). H20 also wasn't bad imo. I also didn't mind the one where he finally killed Laurie.

The Nuul
Band of Brothers
Indiana Jones
Lethal Weapon
Terminator
Dirty Harry
Monty Python
Once Upon A Time In China
Tactical Unit
Police Story

Went for some different picks.

Kaibs
Can you really count Band of Brothers as a movie series though? It was more like a mini-series. It was epic none the less though.

juliwats119
Predator series and Jurassic Park series

Makkari
1. Lord of the Rings
2. The Bourne Series
3. Unless Christopher Nolan completely botches the next Batman--I don't think he will--I'd have to say the Batman series that he's directed.

SnakeEyes
Most of the movies listed here have just been trilogies...

Dreampanther
Only one person here mentioned Lethal Weapon?

I loved how the movies changed over the years, from the dark 80's to the funny 90's and then bringing in Jet Li for the fourth one...

Definitely in my top five fave series...

Liked Indiana Jones as well, and the Matrix (the only one I got bored with was the last one - though quite correctly, it's a trilogy, not a series, which is why I'm not even mentioning Star Wars, because the new films weren't even worth watching, IMO).

Mad Max was quite cool as well, but again this is a trilogy...

Hmm, this requires some contemplation.

KurtRussellCrow
Saw, Strangely enough it is a date movie for me, we always go on our anniversary since it comes out near that time of year.

fanhost
I like TWILIGHT series.. I really enjoyed these movies...

rimmy8788
My favorite series are:
Twilight: I like the horror in this series.
Harry Potter: I like the magic in these series
Saw: Again horror is fantastic in it.

Placidity
I haven't given it much thought, but probably (no real order):

1. James Bond (In particular Sean Connery)

2. Indiana Jones

3. Star Wars OT

4. Bourne Trilogy

5. Police Story

6. Mission Impossible

7. Jurassic Park

8. Terminator

9. Back to the Future

10. Batman (incl animated films)

SnakeEyes
Surprised nobody's mentioning Harry Potter; pretty popular series.

Mr. Rhythmic
http://static.blogcritics.org/09/11/22/119679/rocky3.jpeg

http://topnews.in/light/files/Spider-Man11.jpg

http://www.product-reviews.net/wp-content/userimages/2007/05/toystory.jpg

http://www.qwipster.net/undisputed2.jpg

http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/arnold-terminator.jpg

http://www.sixtiescity.com/SciFilm/Images/SF542.jpg

rimmy8788
My favorite series is Harry Potter series and the twilight series.

Mr Parker

The thing that sucks about Rocky 4 and Rocky 5 is they dont even deserve to be called Rocky movies.We've already talked about why I dont like Rocky 4 so wont go into that since that wasnt the question,but to answer that question,first off,Rocky 5 like Rocky Four,didnt even have the theme song Gonna Fly Now. which made the first three Rocky films such magical movies.That song got you all pumped up and made you feel like you could take on the world and it was inspiring,made me inspired not to give up on things that I want in life.still does actually.

But also,like i said,it shouldnt even be called Rocky because the movie is all about the character of Tommy Gunn mostly.If the movie wasnt connected to the other Rocky films,it wouldnt be such a bad movie. as a movie by itself,its actually a pretty good movie if you dont go into it thinking of it as a Rocky film.Its actually a lot more realistic and believeable than Rocky 4 which is why I prefer it over Rocky 4. Rocky and Tommy Gunn are pretty much evenly matched so that fight in the parking lot was believeable.He can go toe to toe with a normal human being like Tommy Gunn.

Thats another reason l like it better of the two is because that fight scene in the parking lot was something different for a change.Not the same old, same old from the previous four films.Really the only thing that makes this movie a bad film by itself is when you think of it as a Rocky movie, Rocky was only gone in Russia for a couple weeks or so.When he left,his son was like five years old or so,when he came BACK,he was like 10. laughing a major goof they didnt think about obviously. laughing

So thats pretty much why I dont care for Rocky 5 is while it was realisitic and believeable when you get rid of that mistake they made,is as a Rocky film,it sucks because of the reasons mentioned,Its like Halloweeen three season of the witch.if you dont think of it as a sequal to the halloween movies,its a pretty good flick,if you think of it as a movie called SEASON OF THE WITCH and not connected to those films,then its actually a pretty good film.same thing with Rocky five.If you think of it as being called Rocky 5,its sucks as a movie.But if you think of it as a movie called Tommy,then its actually a pretty good film. wink

Jen Filip

K.Diddy
The thing that sucks about Rocky 4 and Rocky 5 is they dont even deserve to be called Rocky movies.We've already talked about why I dont like Rocky 4 so wont go into that since that wasnt the question,but to answer that question,first off,Rocky 5 like Rocky Four,didn't even have the theme song Gonna Fly Now. which made the first three Rocky films such magical movies.That song got you all pumped up and made you feel like you could take on the world and it was inspiring,made me inspired not to give up on things that I want in life.still does actually.

But also,like i said,it shouldn't even be called Rocky because the movie is all about the character of Tommy Gunn mostly.If the movie wasnt connected to the other Rocky films,it wouldnt be such a bad movie. as a movie by itself,its actually a pretty good movie if you dont go into it thinking of it as a Rocky film.Its actually a lot more realistic and believeable than Rocky 4 which is why I prefer it over Rocky 4. Rocky and Tommy Gunn are pretty much evenly matched so that fight in the parking lot was believeable.He can go toe to toe with a normal human being like Tommy Gunn.

Thats another reason l like it better of the two is because that fight scene in the parking lot was something different for a change.Not the same old, same old from the previous four films.Really the only thing that makes this movie a bad film by itself is when you think of it as a Rocky movie, Rocky was only gone in Russia for a couple weeks or so.When he left,his son was like five years old or so,when he came BACK,he was like 10. laughing a major goof they didnt think about obviously. laughing

So thats pretty much why I dont care for Rocky 5 is while it was realisitic and believeable when you get rid of that mistake they made,is as a Rocky film,it sucks because of the reasons mentioned,Its like Halloweeen three season of the witch.if you dont think of it as a sequal to the halloween movies,its a pretty good flick,if you think of it as a movie called SEASON OF THE WITCH and not connected to those films,then its actually a pretty good film.same thing with Rocky five.If you think of it as being called Rocky 5,its sucks as a movie.But if you think of it as a movie called Tommy,then its actually a pretty good film. wink

erm I see the point your trying to make but unfortumatly I have to disagree with you this time, I think it still stands strong as a Rocky film,and Not having the bound for glory theme song didn't bother me at all.Theres alot more to this movie then just Tommy,theres the whole Rocky and Son subplot in here as well and him dealing with the death of Micky. Also,In my opinion even if you dont think of ''Season of the witch'' As a Halloween film,it is still a pretty bad movie in my opinion smile

Mr Parker
erm I see the point your trying to make but unfortumatly I have to disagree with you this time, I think it still stands strong as a Rocky film,and Not having the bound for glory theme song didn't bother me at all.Theres alot more to this movie then just Tommy,theres the whole Rocky and Son subplot in here as well and him dealing with the death of Micky. Also,In my opinion even if you dont think of ''Season of the witch'' As a Halloween film,it is still a pretty bad movie in my opinion smile

well i liked it when i stopped thinking of it as a movie connected to the halloween films and like i said,when i dont think of rocky five as a rocky movie and think of it as being called tommy,i like it and the rocky/son subplot you mentioned is another one of the reasons i prefer it over rocky 4 as well.rocky five i will wacth sometimes occassionally because of those reasons i mentioned and the one you did as well.

K.Diddy
well i liked it when i stopped thinking of it as a movie connected to the halloween films and like i said,when i dont think of rocky five as a rocky movie and think of it as being called tommy,i like it and the rocky/son subplot you mentioned is another one of the reasons i prefer it over rocky 4 as well.rocky five i will wacth sometimes occassionally because of those reasons i mentioned and the one you did as well.

smile Fair enough

Mr Parker
smile Fair enough

I also thought it was touching when he was in the gym reminencing "not spelled right im sure" about Mickey talking to him on hitting the bag and a talk he had with him.Makes you realise just how much time has passed by since the first Rocky film.
on that note The trilogy Rocky through Rocky three is my favorite series.

Darth Martin
It's James Bond.

/thread

K.Diddy
I also thought it was touching when he was in the gym reminencing "not spelled right im sure" about Mickey talking to him on hitting the bag and a talk he had with him.Makes you realise just how much time has passed by since the first Rocky film.
on that note The trilogy Rocky through Rocky three is my favorite series.

erm I may have to watch part 3 again,cause I actually thought it was the weakest of the series by memory

SnakeEyes
In terms of actual series that I enjoy, not just trilogies and whatnot, I'd say Star Trek, James Bond, and Harry Potter (although I never read the books).

Mr. Rhythmic

Almost everything. Garbage film, minus a few good moments.

Mr Parker
erm I may have to watch part 3 again,cause I actually thought it was the weakest of the series by memory

yeah thats a good idea,watch the second and the third one again.The second for me,just drags on too long after it picks off where the first movie ended with the initial fight.too much boredom before they finally get to him to train for his rematch with Appollo before it gets exciting again.Where with Rocky 3,like i said,thought was more exciting since there were TWO fights this time around with the wresling match in between as well. Rocky 3 was also interesting cause with the help of Appollo,we got to see Rocky go from fighting like Rocky the Ape to Rocky the boxer.Plus also because of this reason below.

The thing I love so much about rocky 3 though is putting aside the absurdity of the hulk hogan wresting match,throw that out the window and its a great film.It showed how the boxing world really is when you get on top and start getting complacent like he did,that theres always somebody else out there whos more hungry than you are waiting to take the crown from you and eventually does.It was very real.Reminds me of what happened to Mike Tyson.He got to the point where he was so arrogant and too cocky that he stopped training really hard like he normally did and as a result,when he fought Buster Douglass-a guy who was more hungry than he was and trained harder than Tyson,he beat Tyson and took the belt from him.Then the same thing that happened to Tyson happened with Douglass as well.

He ALSO got too cocky and got a big head out of beating Tyson that he also thought he was invinsible and did not train hard for his next fight-you could tell because he got so fat and out of shape -it was so obvious,like Tyson,he did not train hard for his next fight and lost to Evander Holyfield..Rocky 3 was real life in that regard with how he did not train very hard against Clubber Lang the first time, and as a result,lost to him. Plus it was touching and sad when Mickey died. Rocky 4 and 5, the plots were shit.

K.Diddy
beer Okay,I'm not getting a lot of time for movies at the moment but I will definitely put seeing 2 and 3 again on my list of things to do and will post my opinion

jamesbarclay654

psychokandy
I'm going to be bold and say the Lucas classics... Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

The Batman franchise is generally good, with the exception of the obvious abortions.

Robocop 1 & 2 are solid and will always hold a special place in my heart. The 3rd one is terrible, but gets a pass for having Daniel Von Bargen and Jeff Garlin.

Wolfie
Back to the Future
Star Wars
The Matrix
Terminator
A Nightmare on Elm Street

I'm surprised that people said Jurassic Park. The first one is an amazing film, but the third one was awful enough to discredit it as a series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.