Do You Love Your Own Race/Ethnicity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

majid86
Be honest because i do
I'll always be a proud brown guy no matter what others say

Symmetric Chaos
I don't have emotions directed toward any race...

inimalist
Like, the human race?

I'm certainly a nationalist, but no, race is wholly insignificant imho.

Omega Vision
I don't think I've ever been "proud" to be white in my life. I've been glad to be white at times when it's helped out, but I've never said "God Damn It its a good day to be white!" laughing

majid86
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I don't think I've ever been "proud" to be white in my life. I've been glad to be white at times when it's helped out, but I've never said "God Damn It its a good day to be white!" laughing

I understand what your saying there but for me being brown means so much to me it defines who i am and anybody who has a problem with that can screw themselves in hell.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by majid86
I understand what your saying there but for me being brown means so much to me it defines who i am and anybody who has a problem with that can screw themselves in hell.

Yeah, that's ****ing scary. What does being brown stand for in your eyes?

majid86
Respect, honor, dignity & pride.

Symmetric Chaos
Respect, honor, dignity & pride.

In your eyes other races don't have those things? Or is it just pride in the accomplishments of your ancestry?

inimalist

man, it totally doesn't though

i really don't envy that outlook

majid86
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
In your eyes other races don't have those things? Or is it just pride in the accomplishments of your ancestry?

Pride of ancestry and success/accomplishments

ADarksideJedi
Yes I am proud of what I am no shame at all.

Mindship
...for me being brown means so much to me it defines who i am and anybody who has a problem with that can screw themselves in hell. Sounds like you've had some bad encounters with others.

WhiteWitchKing
Yes. But it's much deeper than just race. It's basically history and culture. Am I proud of what the human race? Yes. Do I love what other cultures offer? Yes. But I am proud of my cultures and people because I'll be honest and say I know much more about it than about other cultures. And I enjoy showing others about my culture they may not know and am ecstatic when they know more about something in my culture than I do. I am proud because of it's unique identity. It's not to say I don't love the other cultures/history, but I do love and am proud of my culture/ethnicity at the same time.

Rogue Jedi
It's a skin color, nothing more. I love the human race, even though it sucks hairy ballz.

lil bitchiness
I find the concept of being proud that I'm Caucasian somewhat weird. Like inimalist said, I tend to be nation orientated more than 'race' orientated.

I'm not proud generally of the whole human race. It's relative. For example, if I was Mongolian I'd be probably very proud of Genghis Khan, however to me, being who I am, he's worse than Hitler.

King Castle
i never bn proud to be my race. i actually despise ppl who try to appeal to my ethnicity for a favor or reason to stick by one another.

i share an affinity to certain historical moments of my culture as well as others but not claim it as my own..

although, i do have the god symbol of my ancestor's God Savior.

i simply am.

ppl should be proud and thankful for who they are and what they accomplished individually not be thankful nor grateful for their skin color or ancestry history that they themselves played no part in.

only thing i am remotely grateful along these lines is that i am good looking and sociable... i am proud of my own history that i lived in and had a part in Q.E.D. having bn an actual Modern Warrior.

majid86
I think that that white people are too scared to be honest about being proud about their race and dont wanna be labelled as racists so i kinda feel sorry for them in a way.

I guess thats because of the legacy of European imperialism and what it did

Symmetric Chaos
I think that that white people are too scared to be honest about being proud about their race and dont wanna be labelled as racists so i kinda feel sorry for them in a way.

I guess thats because of the legacy of European imperialism and what it did

I think you're just a racist and desperately trying to justify it by hoping everyone else it.

lil bitchiness
Well if looking at the achievements of White and Caucasian people as a whole, in that retrospect, I am very proud.

Equally, the question is sort of lacking because I cannot be 'proud' of Vikings as my ancestors were not station in the Nordic countries. I cannot be proud of Poles either as I have zero connection to them.
Even though we are 'white' mine and Pole's genetics are very different so how can anyone be generally proud to be any 'race' without any genetic and small cultural connection to other people of the same 'race'?

King Castle
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Well if looking at the achievements of White and Caucasian people as a whole, in that retrospect, I am very proud.

Equally, the question is sort of lacking because I cannot be 'proud' of Vikings as my ancestors were not station in the Nordic countries. I cannot be proud of Poles either as I have zero connection to them.
Even though we are 'white' mine and Pole's genetics are very different so how can anyone be generally proud to be any 'race' without any genetic and small cultural connection to other people of the same 'race'? exactly.. how can anyone be proud of something they played no part in or is not part of the culture.

i mean if you are from a small group with certain cultural traits then you can be proud of it and its tied history to it.

but, how can any white, brown or black person be proud of another person's accomplishment simply for being of the same skin tone but not part of the culture or history..

its like an irish man being proud of english imperialism and viking life style but isnt even of the same race or culture just shares skin tone.

same for an american black man being proud of all things african culture but not being part of it. he can study and be fascinated by the history but it would be very disengeious to say he is of that tribe or culture and take pride of its accomplishment.

this just goes on and its retarded in my opinion,... when i climbed a small random mountain i am congratulated by a small non athletic guy who tries to claim my feat as his own through shared ethnicity of a race.. its stupid b/c he didnt do it himself and it had nothing to do with race but mental resolve.

Mindship
Originally posted by King Castle
same for an american black man being proud of all things african culture but not being part of it. he can study and be fascinated by the history but it would be very disengeious to say he is of that tribe or culture and take pride of its accomplishment. Is this so different from the fan in the stadium hollering, "We're #1! We're #1!" The fan has nothing to do with his favorite team winning, but he identify's with what the team stands for.

King Castle
obviously you never read my comments about fanatic fans..mhmm
if you had you would know how i feel about the question and what my answer would be.

the answer : you can root and cheer for a group as entertainment but its completely different to call yourself an athlete or a member of a team simply for wearing the jersey.

if you have no part in the field of combat nor adhere and live by the code of the warrior that you are siding with and are hoping they win you have no right to say your of their culture.

being an american does not make you nor gives you the values of the country which it is founded on.. same for its soldiers, warriors and athletes.

you can admire them and try to live by their example but you are not them and never will be unless you pass their indoctrination and live by their values.

i admire certain cultures and sects and even try to live by their codes and values but, i know i am not them even if i share the same blood as them. i am not a samurai neither by blood, tradition or training.. i am not a christian for i am not Christ nor would i call myself it for i would shame not just myself but the values that come by the association of that name.

too many ppl claim to be something they are not and are proud of something they themselves do not uphold.

same with Buddhist i am not a monk nor do i call myself Buddhist.. ppl want the name but not the responsibilities that come with it.

now ppl are pround of a color content which is even worse for it has no actual accomplishment in itself.

Symmetric Chaos
exactly.. how can anyone be proud of something they played no part in or is not part of the culture.

Bingo!

Mindship
obviously you never read my comments about fanatic fans..mhmm
if you had you would know how i feel about the question and what my answer would be.I was lazy. My bad.

the answer : you can root and cheer for a group as entertainment but its completely different to call yourself an athlete or a member of a team simply for wearing the jersey.

if you have no part in the field of combat nor adhere and live by the code of the warrior that you are siding with and are hoping they win you have no right to say your of their culture.

being an american does not make you nor gives you the values of the country which it is founded on.. same for its soldiers, warriors and athletes.

you can admire them and try to live by their example but you are not them and never will be unless you pass their indoctrination and live by their values.

i admire certain cultures and sects and even try to live by their codes and values but, i know i am not them even if i share the same blood as them. i am not a samurai neither by blood, tradition or training.. i am not a christian for i am not Christ nor would i call myself it for i would shame not just myself but the values that come by the association of that name.

too many ppl claim to be something they are not and are proud of something they themselves do not uphold.

same with Buddhist i am not a monk nor do i call myself Buddhist.. ppl want the name but not the responsibilities that come with it.

now ppl are pround of a color content which is even worse for it has no actual accomplishment in itself. Understood.
People identify with things; it's the nature of the egoic beast. We like the symbolism, but some people do take it too far, unintentionally or otherwise.

King Castle
Respect, honor, dignity & pride. tell me this: respect, honor, dignity and pride actually earned or do you think it is simply given to you as being born ?

i mean it sounds a lot like the ethos of the marines and many marines have earned the right to associate themselves with those values and just as many have failed to live by them and bn stripped of the title marine for failure to uphold those values..

how can you claim those for yourselves what set of principles tell you, you are entitled to those principles?

what indoctrination have you undergone what principles do you adhere to, to lay claim to them?

i can say i live with honor, courage and dignity but not have any set rules that require me to live by them or earn them what trials have you undergone and maintained your principles?

tell me what honor have you shown, what respect have you given what have you accomplished to be proud of does your group require you to uphold them? have you showed dignity in the most trying of times?

Rogue Jedi
Question for you all. Other than the varying skin tones, what's the difference between races?

King Castle
height, hair color texture, eye shape and coloration... even a particular genetic trait or variation in the DNA however small it may be. basically physical attributes.

Rogue Jedi
height, hair color texture, eye shape and coloration... even a particular genetic trait or variation in the DNA however small it may be. basically physical attributes. Those all fall in with skin tone. Besides the "physical variances", what's the difference?

majid86
I think you're just a racist and desperately trying to justify it by hoping everyone else it.

I think you got it wrong mate when have i said white people are inferior?
I never said that.

inimalist
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Those all fall in with skin tone. Besides the "physical variances", what's the difference?

there is some evidence that there may be a genetic component to being able to parse the language sounds of different languages, which would most likely fall on genetic lines.

Some diseases are so genetically specific that some races are more predisposed than others, though the same thing can be said of families or people from any location really.

I agree with your thoughts though, race has no bareing on anything important to people. Unfortunatly the way we interpret race does...

King Castle
Those all fall in with skin tone. Besides the "physical variances", what's the difference? genetic make up to a very small degree would be the difference.

this would include things like immunology and even likely occurrence of random mutations good or bad.

i guess you are looking for the answer to be none but, not sure if that really is the case..

some ppl are better suited for certain things physically then others due to the genealogy.

not sure if that would extend to the mind or if it can even be tested and attributed to race.. some ppl might say it would be racist if it did.. but, i just shoulder shrug if i found out a certain race had better IQ due to not just environmental factors and diet but actual genetics.(asians). eek!

i mean we already know certain groups have larger members then others.afro why not someone have a larger brain or ability to use it more efficiently

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by inimalist
there is some evidence that there may be a genetic component to being able to parse the language sounds of different languages, which would most likely fall on genetic lines.

Some diseases are so genetically specific that some races are more predisposed than others, though the same thing can be said of families or people from any location really.

I agree with your thoughts though, race has no bareing on anything important to people. Unfortunatly the way we interpret race does... The answer is nothing. When all is said and done, we are all members of the human race.

majid86
Question for you all. Other than the varying skin tones, what's the difference between races?

Well there is only one main human race (homo saipiens) but several different ethnicities of humans from Indo- Aryans to Slavs and everything in between but there are different attributes which separate them for example skin colour being the most obvious.

Race might not be important to alot of people but for me its all or nothing.

BackFire
I hate everyone.

majid86
Originally posted by BackFire
I hate everyone.

Equally i presume?

King Castle
so tell me majid what are you specifically proud of your race or culture?

i have bn proud for other ppl's accomplishments but never claimed it as my own if i was not there for them alongside those men and women.

i could have bn an indian brave but i turned down the initiation rite.. now i cannot call myself a brave nor a member of the tribe to which i had bn allowed to participate in.. hell, i dont even consider myself a native american even though i have the genetic make up to be called one but, not the culture nor birth inside the tribe. had i done the initiation i could have said with pride i am a native american brave of the Washoe and shoshone ppl without being a blood member of said tribe.

i am happy and proud of the accomplishment of the native men who took part in the ritual but i myself cannot take pride as if i had participated in it nor call myself a brave nor even a native of that tribe.

majid86
Originally posted by Mindship
Sounds like you've had some bad encounters with others.

Yeah kinda but over the years its has strengthen me alot, so know i dont have to fear nobody but fear itself.
Whatever doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.

majid86
so tell me majid what are you specifically proud of your race or culture?

i have bn proud for other ppl's accomplishments but never claimed it as my own if i was not there for them alongside those men and women.

i could have bn an indian brave but i turned down the initiation rite.. now i cannot call myself a brave nor a member of the tribe to which i had bn allowed to participate in.. hell, i dont even consider myself a native american even though i have the genetic make up to be called one but, not the culture nor birth inside the tribe. had i done the initiation i could have said with pride i am a native american brave of the Washoe and shoshone ppl without being a blood member of said tribe.

i am happy and proud of the accomplishment of the native men who took part in the ritual but i myself cannot take pride as if i had participated in it nor call myself a brave nor even a native of that tribe.

Well i decend from Mughal royalty and my caste is one of the highest in South Asia (Jatt Caste).
You should be proud of being a Native American, i would be.

King Castle
only way i see anyone being proud of their race if they are heavily tied to it by more then just nationalism but actual culture and more importantly religion. all things being one.

example: fundamental muslim nations which is more then just a religion, nation but also culture.

but for anyone to have a generic pride in all things brown, blk or white is just asinine...

what about the negative of things of the individual person in that race
the hitlers, the rapists the warlords of said race group or nation?

ppl should be proud of the individual person's accomplishment not try to warp it as a race thing.. i am happy when a struggling family manages to succeed in life whether its black, brown or white.

if a person can overcome adversity from either racial prejudice or social class and succeeds its b/c of their heart, spiritual belief and mental resolve and race had no real bearing to why he or she made it through.

being black, white or brown doesnt make you a better person nor give one the willpower to succeed in life its the individual person's determination to succeed during strife.

a black, white and brown person can easily fail even if he is a member a particular race simply for not having the same resolve and determination as others. it happens all the time in life. are you also proud of your race failures or are you shamed by them?

these things go hand in hand.. do you take responsibility for the failures of your race as well?

Rogue Jedi
Black guy screams black power, he's a hero.

White guy screams white power, he's a racist piece of shit.

Sup with that?

King Castle
i look at both of them with equal disdain depending how and wear they are using it.

but almost 99.99% i am indifferent i might even chuckle.

i hated hearing brown power when i was a kid growin up..

majid86

Sup with that?

Because racist white people preach racial superiority over non whites due to genetics like blonde hair, blue eyes, light skin etc.
Ive never heard a black person preach racial superiority over non blacks because they dont have dark hair, dark eyes and dark skin in my entire life.

But having too much pride can be very dangerous not only towards others and but yourself as well.
I would never say Brown Power in my life.

lil bitchiness

Ive never heard a black person preach racial superiority over non blacks because they dont have dark hair, dark eyes and dark skin in my entire life.

Then....you need to get out more.

Rogue Jedi
Then....you need to get out more. yes

King Castle
Well i decend from Mughal royalty and my caste is one of the highest in South Asia (Jatt Caste).
You should be proud of being a Native American, i would be. i am proud of my individual accomplishment and proud for other ppl's accomplishments like my family and friends but it isnt race related.

i am proud to have bn a modern warrior(marine) and earned my title and stood alongside honorable men(blk,brw and white). i am proud to have bn a Korean MA instructor and followed the path of the Warrior and the study of Zen teachings..

i am also deeply shamed that i served along sh#$bags who disgraced my title(blk,brw and white).. i am disappointed and angry that others use MA to fight in MMA and Dojo's teach and have taught these kind of ppl knowingly..

one thing i will not ever take pride in is being born a particular color or being associated with men of honor or courage that i did not contribute to.

i cannot be a brave for i did not earn the right to call myself one,.. i cannot be a native american of a particular tribe i was not born into and failed to take the initiation rite. just b/c i am brown and have lineage of a meso americans and native american does not entitle me to their culture let alone their accomplishments.

its like a black american who was adopted taking pride in the irish culture or scottish culture or Viking culture without even knowing if he is even one of them or even knowing said culture. thats how i look at it. and it doesnt have to be a blk american it can be a white american i was just driving home my point.

Couldn't care less about it

majid86
Then....you need to get out more.

Maybe black people in the US but not here in the UK.
People who say that are scum period.

People like Louis Farrakahn

King Castle
Then....you need to get out more. lets help him out.. big grin

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/20026/

anyways he must never have heard of the black panthers movement and how "some" members were just black bigots with militaristic views..

some would have made hitler proud if they werent black.

Symmetric Chaos

So if you raise a white kid speaking Chinese he won't be able to speak it as well as a Chinese person? Color me skeptical.

Whatever doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.

*breaks maji86's legs*

hmm

Sup with that?

Because "white power" was (and is) a battle cry of racism and "black power" came into popularity during the rise of civil rights where it was used to bolster the will of an oppressed people trying to gain equality. Sure, now it's mainly used by idiots and crazy people but they are different.

majid86
Ive heard of Black Panthers in the US but thank god they are not in the UK.
They believe that the Earth belongs to the black people and use human evolution as their proof.

Symmetric Chaos
Ive heard of Black Panthers in the US but thank god they are not in the UK.
They believe that the Earth belongs to the black people and use human evolution as their proof.

There are Black Panthers in the UK and they're breeding (presumably with you're defenseless brown women):
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1001/1001977_black_panthers_alive_in_the_uk.html

Sup with that?

Historical context and claiming otherwise is nonsense.

majid86
*breaks majid86's legs*

I dont think so mate.

Because "white power" was (and is) a battle cry of racism and "black power" came into popularity during the rise of civil rights where it was used to bolster the will of an oppressed people trying to gain equality. Sure, now it's mainly used by idiots and crazy people but they are different. bingo

majid86
There are Black Panthers in the UK and they're breeding (presumably with you're defenseless brown women):
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1001/1001977_black_panthers_alive_in_the_uk.html

Now that's just stupid and foolish

Original Black Panthers never preached racial supremacy and grew increasingly closer to racially blind socialist internationalism over time.

Current so-called BP aren't afilliated with them.

majid86
lets help him out.. big grin

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/20026/

What a f*cking nutcase!
This dude is totally out of his mind.

§P0oONY
Proud/love to be something that shit loads of people are? That's like proud of being male... Nah, not for me.

I love being English but that's about it.

majid86
Hey Spoony

Do Scots really dislike the English?

lil bitchiness

I LOL'd. For several reasons...

Also, speaking of 'black panthers'....aren't those melanin jaguars more common in Asia than Africa? Leopards are mostly African. I suppose 'yellow leopards' was too fruity to name a racial power group.

Asians should claim back the name of Black Panther from African Americans and attached to their own race power group.

Too many LOLs in all of this.

I LOL'd. For several reasons...

Also, speaking of 'black panthers'....aren't those melanin jaguars more common in Asia than Africa? Leopards are mostly African. I suppose 'yellow leopards' was too fruity to name a racial power group.

Asians should claim back the name of Black Panther from African Americans and attached to their own race power group.

Too many LOLs in all of this.

Jaguars live in the american continent

There's a lot of lol in it alright

majid86
Ive heard of one neo nazi prison gang who call themselves The Polar Bears, sounds very lame.

§P0oONY
Hey Spoony

Do Scots really dislike the English? A lot of them do. There is a lot of negativity towards them that's for sure, especially around sport.

I've never really had any issue though. I've lived in Scotland most my life (with a full blown English accent) and I've never really seen any hostility.

majid86
Well, i went to Glasgow once and couldn't understand a single f*cking word they were saying.
That travel experience alone was more than enough to put me completely off from ever visiting that city forever.

Alongside Belfast, Glasgow is a city were white people DONT LIKE white people.
Man i just find that too hilarious to this day.

§P0oONY
Well, i went to Glasgow once and couldn't understand a single f*cking word they were saying.
That travel experience alone was more than enough to put me completely off from ever visiting that city forever.

Alongside Belfast, Glasgow is a city were white people DONT LIKE white people.
Man i just find that too hilarious to this day. Their hatred has nothing to do with race though... Most cultural rifts have shit all to do with race.

majid86

Nice try battyman but let me tell you this the only person who will be defenceless is you because nothing is gonna stop me from ramming my fist into your stomach and breaking your god damn spine (not that you had a spine in the first place).

majid86

majid86
This song should clear things up:

Icb_tRTnA4g

"Hear me on the radio, think I could not be blacker, But on my video, you see I'm really a cracker," LMFAO

1:05 - 1:10 is just priceless

Quiero Mota
race is wholly insignificant imho.

Why do you say that?

I love being Latino; Arriba la Raza!.

StyleTime
I identify far more with being American than I do with being a particular race.

I don't feel ashamed of my skin color, but it's not something I feel is an accomplishment either.

Dr. Leg Kick
We're all of the same species, as for 'race', there are individuals in one 'race' that have more genetic similarities with an individual from another 'race' than that of the first individuals own.

As for ethnicity, I'm Armenian, love my heritage and culture. Same goes for my friends with Greek, Russian, Persian, Korean backgrounds. I'm captivated by their traditions.

Dr. Leg Kick
Originally posted by StyleTime
I identify far more with being American than I do with being a particular race.

I don't feel ashamed of my skin color, but it's not something I feel is an accomplishment either. Glad to see you post outside of our MMA topics. thumb up

dadudemon
I really don't care.

However, if I were black or Native American, I'd be going to an Ivy League school on a full academic scholarship. erm

RE: Blaxican
I'm proud of the fact that my collective culture's have been able to rise above and overcome the many obstacles and prejudices that have been brought on them throughout history. If I could have chosen what race I wanted to be before being born, though, I probably wouldn't have chosen to be black. There's a lot of main stream black culture that I'm not proud of.

It's nice to have a huge c*ck though.

Scythe
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Why do you say that?

This.

Mindship
Yeah kinda but over the years its has strengthen me alot, so know i dont have to fear nobody but fear itself.
Whatever doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. Indeed. Unfortunately, what doesn't kill us also often makes us angrier. Avoiding that is where the real triumph lies (a tall order, I know, considering how densely populated Earth's moronsphere seems to be).

Rogue Jedi
Ive heard of one neo nazi prison gang who call themselves The Polar Bears, sounds very lame. That's what La unda called the Aryans in "Blood in Blood out."

majid86
Yeah, that's the movie that i heard it from.
Good underrated movie IMO

inimalist
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
It's nice to have a huge c*ck though.

this

majid86
lol

Originally posted by dadudemon
I really don't care.

However, if I were black or Native American, I'd be going to an Ivy League school on a full academic scholarship. erm Yeah, and if blacks and natives were white, they wouldn't be the poorest minorities in your country.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
Glad to see you post outside of our MMA topics. thumb up
I post a lot outside of those.

It's just I usually stay around the comics, games, and manga/anime forums.

Where we keep it REAL!

King Castle
the whole be proud of your skin tone confuses me at times.

i mean what if you are mexican and happen to be white skin with green eyes and dirty blond hair?

its really a crap shoot when it comes to certain ppl and their genetic lineage. i could have easily come out having similar features as mention above which is a reference to my cousin by the way but i came out tan brown with black hair and brown eyes and only have minute auburn color hair that grows sporadically on my beard.

also should i claim pride in the roman empire along with the spaniard and italians who happen to be my ancestors 100's and thousands of years ago.

what were they do ppl even consider them white or they their own thing just Mediterranean? now if i remember my history the persians also invaded the roman empire so i might also have some persian genes in me as well along with my native traits of the americas.

see this is why i dont give two sh#$s about race.. too many of us are mixed with others even if we dont know about it.

Why do you say that?

This phrase shows perfectly what a bunch made up crap 'race' is.

dadudemon
Originally posted by 753
How is that a race?

The Spanish beat the rest of Europe to mass "make babies" with the American Natives. yes

See...the race was to make "mestizos" and the Spanish won (with the Portuguese' help).

King Castle
its really not.. i dont even know how to properly describe myself if i even bothered to entertain the idea..

i mean some hispanics get pissed for being called hispanic other rather be latino and then even some have a completely different name for themselves..

i was always curious if you were spanish and native american were you automatically a genetic mexican? same for eskimos or any other tropical tribe in the americas,.... i just laugh at the idea..

The Spanish beat the rest of Europe to mass "make babies" with the American Natives. yes

See...the race was to make "mestizos" and the Spanish won (with the Portuguese' help). Thanks for the history recap. Even if races in the human species were real, biologically speaking, latins still wouldn't be a race though. Neither would mestizos and caboclos for that matter.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by 753
Jaguars live in the american continent

There's a lot of lol in it alright

Holy crap, really?!

Except...melanin large cats or 'black panthers' most densely populate south east and east Asia.
Jaguars, cougars and leopards without pigmentation disorders, populate a shit loads of places.

dadudemon
Originally posted by 753
Thanks for the history recap. Even if races in the human species were real, biologically speaking, latins still wouldn't be a race though. Neither would mestizos and caboclos for that matter.

No, not a history recap: you mean the lengthy pun on the word "race", right? erm

Symmetric Chaos
I'm sorry did you just suggest melanin jaguars live in the American continent?

Go back to school, please.

Jaguars are native only to the American continent:
http://www.jaguarresearchcenter.com/The_jaguar.pdf (page 4, i know it looks like Africa but you can see Mexico up top)

King Castle
so what do the white skin mexicans shout? is it brown and white power or do they simply choose one..

mexicans at least a large majority are just a bastard nation similar to america only difference most ppl dont know it.

being a mexican you can find native meso americans(indigenous indians real mexicans) selling trinkets as well as what americans *air quotes* would consider native americans like the apache and navajo ppl.. hell you can find a giant statue in mexico city of Geronimo... he is a national hero.

then you got the light or white mexicans who discriminate the tanner mexicans and then the tanner mexicans who hate the indians both the native americans and the the real indigenous meso ppl who dont speak any spanish who sell stuff in front of the aztec pyramids like obsidian homemade knifes which are actually real nice...

@ lil bitchiness

like to add that jaguars are in mexico not sure if they are in other continents i only know b/c of the jaquar aztec warriors

Symmetric Chaos
so what do the white skin mexicans shout? is it brown and white power or do they simply choose one..

BRITE POWER!

dadudemon
http://www.jaguarresearchcenter.com/The_jaguar.pdf (page 4, i know it looks like Africa but you can see Mexico up top)

At first I was like, "dude, you're gonna get banned."

lol, if I didn't see the edit in her post, it would look like you're trolling the shizer out of her: thank goodness for the "last edited message", eh? laughing

Originally posted by 753
Yeah, and if blacks and natives were white, they wouldn't be the poorest minorities in your country.

And this some how addresses anything in my post other than trying to incite an argument form me? You actually have to get my point before I'll respond to something I don't care to talk about.

dadudemon
Edit - double post.

King Castle
also the biggest trip i had when i was in mexico was when i saw a black mexican.. i look at my mom and was like is he a real mexican do they have those?

my mom was yeah, i mean do you looked shocked when you see a black or an asian american back home?

lil bitchiness

lol, if I didn't see the edit in her post, it would look like you're trolling the shizer out of her: thank goodness for the "last edited message", eh? laughing

And this some how addresses anything in my post other than trying to incite an argument form me? You actually have to get my point before I'll respond to something I don't care to talk about.

You are likely to get banned for bating. Symmetric Chaos did nothing wrong.

I cannot open. Nevermind, I trust you are correct.

Holy crap, really?!

Except...melanin large cats or 'black panthers' most densely populate south east and east Asia.
Jaguars, cougars and leopards without pigmentation disorders, populate a shit loads of places.

I caught those edits, but they were cute. Instead of telling me to go back to school maybe you should have taken your little trip to wikipedia before insulting me.

No, not a history recap: you mean the lengthy pun on the word "race", right? erm Yeah I got the joke

And this some how addresses anything in my post other than trying to incite an argument form me? You actually have to get my point before I'll respond to something I don't care to talk about. I believe it does, but I guess didn't get your point.

dadudemon
You are likely to get banned for bating. Symmetric Chaos did nothing wrong.

Me? I only pointed out how bad his post looked until I saw the edit. No bating here. I don't see how pointing out that it looked like he edited your post simply to call you "wrong" is bating. It looked bad to me until I scrolled up to check to see if you had a "last edited" message. I was just commenting on how bad it looked, that's all. No offense intended.

King Castle
BRITE POWER! what if you look brown but know you have large percentage of european and spanish heritage, can you still shout it?

will a white supremacist group take in a white european looking mexican if he is blond and blue eye or green eyed?

what if he is tanned but has european features and claims to be white even though he has even more mexican genes then white ones.. like the stupid redneck white texans whom you can tell have mexican in their family tree who are racist and claim to be white with last names like garcia or Gomez.. facepalm2
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/telebuddy/garant.jpg

@dadudemon

drylaugh i laughed last week when you were temp banned it was so obvious u were baiting not just me but a lot of other ppl last time..

anyways here it looks like an honest mistake pls dont ban him anymore he cant afford it.. especially with a certain tyrant lurking around.

'Races' are all made up crap. Irish and germans weren't considered white in some regions of the usa upon a time, catholics werent either.

In my country, races aren't even recognized in the way they are in the USA - as actual categories of people defined as bloodlines tracing back to original populations. Saying people are white or black here is just a physical descriptin and yet we still have colorism like discrimination here. Because the world is full of dickheads.

dadudemon
@dadudemon

drylaugh i laughed last week when you were temp banned it was so obvious u were baiting not just me but a lot of other ppl last time..

anyways here it looks like an honest mistake pls dont ban him anymore he cant afford it.. especially with a certain tyrant lurking around.

Huh? I'm confused.

You should probably not bring those things up.

And, you're right: I thought Sym quoted her and edited her post: something people do in the OTF all the time, as a joke.

Back on topic, though..

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by 753

In my country, races aren't even recognized in the way they are in the USA -

You live in France?

You live in France? Brasil

LLLLLink
I don't agree with being proud of your races' ancestry. Maybe if someone in you family tree did something important, I could understand. But taking credit or pride from the deeds of someone else seems stupid in my opinion, no matter what skin color they have.

It is dumb for white Americans to take credit for what the Founding Fathers did. It is also dumb for black Americans to take credit for the slavery that their ancestors went through.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by 753
This phrase shows perfectly what a bunch made up crap 'race' is.

Why? How does it show "perfectly" that its made up crap?

Aint nothing wrong with being proud. In fact Chicano Pride has less to do with being proud, and more to do with not being ashamed.

Te amo mi raza, guey.

-Pr-
I'm proud of my nationality and my culture, but being white has never been a part of that, really.

Why? How does it show "perfectly" that its made up crap?

Aint nothing wrong with being proud. In fact Chicano Pride has less to do with being proud, and more to do with not being ashamed.

Te amo mi raza, guey. Because being latin or chicano has nothing to do with 'race' but eith a culture. Folk definitions of race have no consistancy whatsoever, they are defined arround skincolor (which is absurd enough) as wells language or religion.

Apreciating and taking pride in one's cultural background and nation, specially when faced with the opression of racist and xenophobic cultures who believe in their own superiority is both laudable and a way to fight opression itself. But it has nothing to do with race, rather with a way of life and the feeling of pertinece to a cultural group, not a racial one.

inimalist
So if you raise a white kid speaking Chinese he won't be able to speak it as well as a Chinese person? Color me skeptical.

not so simply, this would probably be a difference in ease rather than potential when learning a language, and the study is hugely contrivertable anyways. My psycholinguistics prof was essentially dismissive of the idea (though she has no real neuro/bio background)

because the difference would be in ease of learning to distinguish, for instance, the two different "th" sounds in arabic vs the one in english would be easier to "hear" as different at a very early age. In practice, it is totally unknown what this would mean in terms of differences in language development.

The only possible mechanism I could think of would be epi-genetics, which isn't actually outlandish

Why do you say that?

because my race is wholly insignificant to me

Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
We're all of the same species, as for 'race', there are individuals in one 'race' that have more genetic similarities with an individual from another 'race' than that of the first individuals own.

I thought the surprising amount of diversity they found when they finally mapped the human genome called this into question again?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by 753
Folk definitions of race have no consistancy whatsoever, they are defined arround skincolor (which is absurd enough) as wells language or religion.

Well, in USA it is prevalent to be all about skin colour. While I agree that there are no 'races' per se, human race was previously organised between three great races which were: Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid with no regards to skin colour whatsoever.

People in North and Horn of Africa were refereed to as Caucasian, such as Ethiopians. That never meant they were white just that they were Caucasian...
While I understand the problems of this categorization, it's still better than colour or nation orientated.

Bicnarok
I dont give a toss what race I or other people are. There are nice folk, nutters and idiots in every race.

inimalist
Originally posted by 753
Because being latin or chicano has nothing to do with 'race' but eith a culture. Folk definitions of race have no consistancy whatsoever, they are defined arround skincolor (which is absurd enough) as wells language or religion.

Apreciating and taking pride in one's cultural background and nation, specially when faced with the opression of racist and xenophobic cultures who believe in their own superiority is both laudable and a way to fight opression itself. But it has nothing to do with race, rather with a way of life and the feeling of pertinece to a cultural group, not a racial one.

however, that these completely artificial patterns of aesthetics seemed to group so solidly into iirc 7-9 racial categories, which can be identified cross culturally, from silouettes (no skin tone), with 80% accuracy, is interesting to say the least.

Or, that the types of differences in appearance we have are those that seem to facilitate a cognitive "schema" for different racial groups.

The Nuul
I do wish I can speak a diff lang though by default. Knowing two or more lang is cool.

inimalist
Originally posted by The Nuul
I do wish I can speak a diff lang though by default. Knowing two or more lang is cool.

you dont speak french?!?!?!?!

for shame

The Nuul
Hellz no, I took it in school and hated it. But now I wish I could, more money and its not a bad lang. I had a change of heart after going to Ottawa.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by 753
Brasil
Isn't it true that in Brazil race has more to do with the straightness of your hair than with skin color? At least someone from Brazil once told me that.

inimalist
Hellz no, I took it in school and hated it. But now I wish I could, more money and its not a bad lang. I have a change of heart after going to Ottawa.

lol, I know what you are saying

the way they do it in schools is so bad. You'd have to get kids in an immersive environment so young if you wanted a good portion of the population to know it. As it is, it just sucks to try and learn it in school, but it would be awesome to know fluently.

The Dark Cloud
I'm not really proud of any part of humanity. Humans are greedy, narcissistic, destructive creatures. Despite possessing higher intelligence we rarely care about the long term cnsequences of our actions.

The Nuul
If I have a kid, he/she will learn a different on top of eng.

lil bitchiness
Hellz no, I took it in school and hated it. But now I wish I could, more money and its not a bad lang. I had a change of heart after going to Ottawa.

Bah! Once you get to Paris or anywhere in Belgium with Quebec accent everyone will be looking at you as if you're speaking Chinese at them.
Rightly so, too.

Robtard
Bah! Once you get to Paris or anywhere in Belgium with Quebec accent everyone will be looking at you as if you're speaking Chinese at them.
Rightly so, too.

Because they're foolish snobs, or because the French differs that much from theirs?

inimalist
a little bit of both, as I understand it

lil bitchiness

The Nuul
Rightly so, too.

Yeah, every damn person in Quebec expected me to speak French.

Are you fluent in French?

Robtard

lil bitchiness
Yeah, every damn person in Quebec expected me to speak French.

Are you fluent in French?

...while in Quebec, a good number of young people speak little to absolutely no English.
It is incomprehensible to me.

EDIT: I speak French well, but not as well as English.

English love

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard
So Quebec peeps speak French like New Jersey peeps speak English, annoyingly.

Ahahahha! I'm going to check on youtube what New Jersey English sounds like and let you know.

Bardock42

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
English has two "th" sounds.

yes, but they are interchangeable as far as comprehension is concerned.

Unless you become specifically aware of it, you would never develop the ability to sort of just naturally interpret them as different.

Like, say "three" with either of the sounds, it doesn't change the word you comprehend. If someone was a native Arabic speaker, it might.

Though admittedly, its not the best example. I'm less familiar with other languages, but the tonal component of Mandarin was the specific example the article refered to iirc

The Nuul
...while in Quebec, a good number of young people speak little to absolutely no English.
It is incomprehensible to me.

EDIT: I speak French well, but not as well as English.

English love

Comme quoi se sent-il pour etre la fille la plus belle dans cette chambre?

Bardock42
yes, but they are interchangeable as far as comprehension is concerned.

Unless you become specifically aware of it, you would never develop the ability to sort of just naturally interpret them as different.

Like, say "three" with either of the sounds, it doesn't change the word you comprehend. If someone was a native Arabic speaker, it might.

Though admittedly, its not the best example. I'm less familiar with other languages, but the tonal component of Mandarin was the specific example the article refered to iirc

Ah okay, I see what you are talking about. If you talk about comprehension you are probably right, however many native English speakers do use them correctly naturally, indeed without ever noticing.

Though do you think it would be hard for an English speaker to use and comprehend the difference between them, cause they can at least hear them, unlike German where the "th" sound has been completely eradicated?

Are they even the same letter in Arabic as "thorn" and "eth"?

majid86
Well, in USA it is prevalent to be all about skin colour. While I agree that there are no 'races' per se, human race was previously organised between three great races which were: Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid with no regards to skin colour whatsoever.

Where do Indo-Aryans fit in?

King Castle
mongoloid-caucasoid

majid86
caucasoid

No F*cking Way!
You gotta be f*cking kidding me man.

inimalist
Ah okay, I see what you are talking about. If you talk about comprehension you are probably right, however many native English speakers do use them correctly naturally, indeed without ever noticing.

oh ya, as far as letter pronounciation goes, it is nearly different on a word by word (or at least varies depending on the letter it follows) basis. It is a serious area of current research actually, how it is the brain knows that the "s" sound after an "s" follows an "a" versus an "r", because if you look at the waveform analysis, the sounds are remarkably different.

So, words do have their local "pronounciations", which is where accents come from. The difference is that there is no change in the information the letter conveys.

Though do you think it would be hard for an English speaker to use and comprehend the difference between them, cause they can at least hear them, unlike German where the "th" sound has been completely eradicated?

Arabic is very difficult to transcribe, at least for me, because they have long and short versions of vowels that completely change the meaning of words. So ya, because the ability to parse these sounds peaks in very early childhood, it is very difficult for adults to learn it.

For instance, I could live the rest of my life in an Arabic-only environment and would likely never develop the ability of a natural speaker.

In terms of losing sounds, it might make it harder. Depending on how malliable "v" or "f" sounds are in german words, natural english speakers might mistake them for "th".

Are they even the same letter in Arabic as "thorn" and "eth"?

actually, "thorn" and "eth" use the same "th" sound too.

"thorn" and "eth" use the same mouth/lips position as the letter "f", but the tounge curls up. Words like "this", "that" or "them" have the same mouthing and reverberation as the "v" sound, only again, the tongue is up.

For the "thorn" sound, this is the letter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B9%AE%C4%81%CA%BE

For the "this" sound:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B8%8E%C4%81l

King Castle
middle eastern ppl are Caucasoid regardless of skin tone i guess some indians in the region would be mongoloid

majid86
middle eastern ppl are Caucasoid regardless of skin tone i guess some indians in the region would be mongoloid

But im not Middle Eastern or Indian

lil bitchiness

Arabic is very difficult to transcribe, at least for me, because they have long and short versions of vowels that completely change the meaning of words. So ya, because the ability to parse these sounds peaks in very early childhood, it is very difficult for adults to learn it.

A'yn is by far, for me, the most difficult letter to pronounce in Arabic, especially if in the middle of the word. There aren't many words like that, but words such as 'jamiya' have a'yn in the middle and I cannot get it right. I pronounce it as ''ah'' which is evidently wrong, since the sound comes from the back of the throat.

I don't know how it was with you, but I had two rows of letters, with the root on top, and then how the sound of the root ones changes depending on calligraphy...I still find it hard to pronounce certain sounds and I tend to think of myself as quite good when it comes to foreign pronunciations...

King Castle
But im not Middle Eastern or Indian aryan is a middle eastern group that was responsible for agriculture 1000's of years ago.

so if you use aryan what em i suppose to think.

inimalist
A'yn is by far, for me, the most difficult letter to pronounce in Arabic, especially if in the middle of the word. There aren't many words like that, but words such as 'jamiya' have a'yn in the middle and I cannot get it right. I pronounce it as ''ah'' which is evidently wrong, since the sound comes from the back of the throat.

ghan was the killer for me. the kha was kinda tricky also, until I found out it was the scottish "ch" (loch).

its such a crazy language though. lol, I knew a girl who said she just used her "man voice" when she needed to pronounce the ayn.

I don't know how it was with you, but I had two rows of letters, with the root on top, and then how the sound of the root ones changes depending on calligraphy...I still find it hard to pronounce certain sounds and I tend to think of myself as quite good when it comes to foreign pronunciations...

you mean for conjegations? ya, totally. We didnt get much on caligraphy unfortunatly, I would love to learn that. I have this pet dream of learning arabic well enough to learn caligraphy at a mid eastern school. ****, even just to write amazing looking grafitti.

I only took 3 semesters, and we went REALLY slow... I didn't think I was as advanced as I should have been (I didn't have the time to put in) and I was still getting As.

King Castle
i just found out b/c my mom told me that we have a lil french in the family tree!!! eek!

i checked google to confirm her story and it showed that french immigrants migrated to mexico in our part of our family area.

then i ran a check on our family names and one of them popped up as a french origin.

which now explains the green eyes and dirty blond hair that some of my family members have randomly shown at birth.

i had chalked it up to old spanish/italian genes but i could see it being french as well with the last name and whatnot..

so we really are mutts all around which is why this be proud of a race is foolish when its centered not just on culture history and individual accomplishments but skin tone which doesnt matter and is a draw of the cards not just in the world but inside an individuals family.

some one bring me cheese and wine!!! also a burger with mayo and a cigerette!!

lil bitchiness
ghan was the killer for me. the kha was kinda tricky also, until I found out it was the scottish "ch" (loch).

its such a crazy language though. lol, I knew a girl who said she just used her "man voice" when she needed to pronounce the ayn.

you mean for conjegations? ya, totally. We didnt get much on caligraphy unfortunatly, I would love to learn that. I have this pet dream of learning arabic well enough to learn caligraphy at a mid eastern school. ****, even just to write amazing looking grafitti.

I only took 3 semesters, and we went REALLY slow... I didn't think I was as advanced as I should have been (I didn't have the time to put in) and I was still getting As.

LOL!! 'Man voice'! I just tried it! It's not working for me...I just can't do it. I suck.

Kha was alright for me - it reminded me of when you eat caramel and try to say K.
And don't worry, I cannot write in Arabic to save my life. I can see separate letters and practice sounds, and words, but since they all start to change their looks once they are written together...bah.

I honestly believe the best way to learn a language is just to speak it, speak it and speak it. Make mistakes, make silly sentences and ridiculous conjugations and nonsensical structures then get corrected.
I don't have that opportunity, but I will get into learning it at some point. I must.

But it's good this way, because if you speak another language, or even if you have a base, it's easy to understand how speakers of other languages may have problems with English pronunciation.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by 753
Because being latin or chicano has nothing to do with 'race' but eith a culture. Folk definitions of race have no consistancy whatsoever, they are defined arround skincolor (which is absurd enough) as wells language or religion.

Well, if the whole concept of race is arbitrary to begin with, then why are "folk" definitions any less valid than ones that attempt to be scientific, despite having dubious beginnings? (By that, I mean 'Caucasiod', 'Negroid' and 'Mongoloid'). So turn-of-the-century anthropology aside, Hispanic/Chicano is considered a race in America.

In Brazil, the idea of race isn't all that big. But here in the States, the terms White, Black, Hispanic and Asian are all very distinct, and when people hear them, they know exactly what they mean. Obama may be in the White House, but the color lines are still drawn and visible.

because my race is wholly insignificant to me

Why? You aren't proud of any of your ancestor's accomplishments?

King Castle
are you proud for the 1st american to walk on the moon or the 1st woman to fly a plane?

i am proud for the individual not for the color of his skin or origin of his birth

Bardock42
oh ya, as far as letter pronounciation goes, it is nearly different on a word by word (or at least varies depending on the letter it follows) basis. It is a serious area of current research actually, how it is the brain knows that the "s" sound after an "s" follows an "a" versus an "r", because if you look at the waveform analysis, the sounds are remarkably different.

So, words do have their local "pronounciations", which is where accents come from. The difference is that there is no change in the information the letter conveys.

For instance, I could live the rest of my life in an Arabic-only environment and would likely never develop the ability of a natural speaker.

In terms of losing sounds, it might make it harder. Depending on how malliable "v" or "f" sounds are in german words, natural english speakers might mistake them for "th".

Yeah, I have noticed a lot of these problems people have. Having only learned English from German speakers of it and only recently looked into it more deeply I had quite some difficulty to even hear differences in words. The biggest problems a native German speaker has are the th sounds, "w" versus "v" and "j" versus "ch" (like jet or chat), in my experience. In turn English speakers have huge problems with the German "ch" sounds (IPA I believe)
actually, "thorn" and "eth" use the same "th" sound too.

"thorn" and "eth" use the same mouth/lips position as the letter "f", but the tounge curls up. Words like "this", "that" or "them" have the same mouthing and reverberation as the "v" sound, only again, the tongue is up.

For the "thorn" sound, this is the letter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B9%AE%C4%81%CA%BE

For the "this" sound:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E1%B8%8E%C4%81l

Ah, okay, I was under the impression that (at least in Icelandic) the eth and thorn are two different pronunciations of the "th" variety that also use the different signs.

I find this area rather interesting, but I have never heard any lectures on it or anything.

lil bitchiness
Yeah, I have noticed a lot of these problems people have. Having only learned English from German speakers of it and only recently looked into it more deeply I had quite some difficulty to even hear differences in words. The biggest problems a native German speaker has are the th sounds, "w" versus "v" and "j" versus "ch" (like jet or chat), in my experience. In turn English speakers have huge problems with the German "ch" sounds (IPA I believe)

Ah, okay, I was under the impression that (at least in Icelandic) the eth and thorn are two different pronunciations of the "th" variety that also use the different signs.

I find this area rather interesting, but I have never heard any lectures on it or anything.

Do you have an accent? I find that North Europeans, in particular Nordics tend to have close to immaculate English accents?

Bardock42
Do you have an accent? I find that North Europeans, in particular Nordics tend to have close to immaculate English accents?

I do have "an" accent. I don't have a German one though. I could probably upload a speech sample if you'd care stick out tongue

And Scandinavians do have very good English usually, I have determined, totally unscientifically, aka "out of my ass", that it is due to two reasons. 1. Their languages already are very similar to English, as in they incorporate most of the pronunciation and 2. they are brought up on nothing but English television...

Quiero Mota
are you proud for the 1st american to walk on the moon or the 1st woman to fly a plane?

i am proud for the individual not for the color of his skin or origin of his birth

Or you can be proud of both. I'm proud that those were American accomplishments. See, national and ethnic pride don't have to be the same, unless its something extremely homogenous like Korea or Japan. I'm proud to be an American, and I'm proud to be Chicano. Sociologists call it an "intersection"; when a person acknowledges that they have more than one identity or 'label' that makes them who they are.

I do have "an" accent. I don't have a German one though.

Then what would you call it? If not a German accent, then what kind?

Robtard
Then what would you call it? If not a German accent, then what kind?

Japanese school-girl.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>