What is the most outrageous power/weapon in comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
What is the most ridiculously unfair or overpowered ability or weapon in all of comics? It can be standard to a character or just something that has happened once or twice, it can also be an item that isn't necessarily tethered to a specific character... e.g. the cosmic cube.

My nominations would be...

-Juggernaut and his beyond stupid resistance to injury.
-Doom's power stealing.
-Doomsday's adaptation.
-Wonder Woman's... everything.

So, what do you think is the most ridiculous power/weapon/item in all of comics?

Prep-Man
Orion's Mother/Genis Box. Can pretty much do anything.

Galan007
Batman's utility belt
Batman's leg

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thor's strength.
Mjolnir.

-K-M-
Canadian with a keyboard

marwash22
Batkick is legit. sneer

Galan007
Originally posted by -K-M-
Canadian with a keyboard That's just creepy. ermmnone

Uriel005
Squirrel Girls I win You Lose Power.

amnesia
wolverine factor

Uriel005
Originally posted by amnesia
wolverine factor
Wolverine doesn't beat squirrel girl

byrdgang21
Hulks pants

galactusischere
Doom.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by -K-M-
Canadian with a keyboard

Haha.

amnesia
Originally posted by galactusischere
Doom.

Yes he is the best written comic book character ever.

marwash22
Deadpool is haxx.

Colossus-Big C
the UN being a part of galactus
now everyone always thinks its in his powerset so he wins every battle

marwash22
^ good one. that's probably the winner. UN being able to "destroy anything", is the definiton of hax.

Dum Dum Dugan
wolverine factor
man you really hate on him.

amnesia
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
man you really hate on him.

I HATE hulk. I just don't care for wolvie. Although he is a snappy dresser.

dmills
Healing factors. The concept started out fairly conservative, but now it's gotten out of control.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Adamantium Claws.

dmills
Also any super strength beyond class 100+ that's not psionically assisted or explained by some other non physical means.

dmills
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Adamantium Claws. "Complete Mastery" of ALL martial arts.

King Castle
chi energy manipulation to asinine lvls..facepalm2

Omega Vision
Note that these aren't necessarily the most ridiculous powers, just the ones that came to my mind first:

-Wolverine's ability to survive and move about after being reduced to a skeleton.

-Telepathy in general: People don't think in paragraph form. Sometimes they don't even think in full sentences.

-Telepathic resistance deriving from "strength of will"

-Planet moving strength

-Any kind of flight that doesn't involve some form of external/internal propulsion, gravity manipulation, or telekinesis (ie: Superman style flight).

-The way Classic Thor flew: by throwing his hammer and hanging onto it, allowing it to pull him through the air. The odd thing is that it actually makes a lot more sense than Superman's flight in terms of physics.

-Omnidisciplinarian science: my dad spent 9 years of his life just learning Pharmacy and Dentistry. He's not a genius but he is a sharp guy. No human is smart/fast enough a learner to get a dozen or more PhDs in under 10 years. Even if you could process that much information you'd never be able to fit the course load in a college.

-Class 100+ guys not breaking normies' hands when they shake them. I don't care how good you are at controling your strength, if you can crush mountains then you can break bones without even trying to.
--In the same vein, Superman having sex with Lois and not killing her. In For Tomorrow he showed that his blood has some kind of durability since when he threw a drop of it at Wonder Woman's sword the handle cracked. Presumably this durability extends to his other body fluids. Eh, Larry Niven said it better than me.

-The Speed Force in general

-Trick Arrows in general. Boomerang arrows especially.

Tattoos N Scars
Quanchi-powered Thanos.

Creshosk
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Quanchi-powered Thanos. I hate when you leave a character sitting out and they wind up getting a little quanchi.

dmills
Originally posted by King Castle
chi energy manipulation to asinine lvls..facepalm2 smile

dmills
Quanchi-powered Thanos. laughing

Galan007
Originally posted by Omega Vision
-The Speed Force in general I think the Speed Force is the absolute best way speedsters can be 'reasonably' explained. Otherwise writers would have to come up with excuses for every single speed-related variable that exists, such as why Flash doesn't disintegrate when he strikes an object while running -- but instead they opted to introduce an extra-dimensional energy that not only fuels, but protects speedsters... T'was honestly a great idea on their part, imo.

On that note, I think the idea that Hulk's anger is infinite, and therefore his power is theoretically infinite is pretty outrageous. Wtf does infinite anger look like anyway? It's also odd that he can have these gargantuan boosts in strength without any noticeable increase in his overall size.

...But that could all be cleared up if Marvel were to introduce a 'Strength Force' concept. excellent

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by dmills
laughing

laughing

This Thanos can take out the 4th Celestial Host without an amp....and he's the only one under LT level that can beat the Void. Man, talkin' about ridiculously powerful.

dmills
Note that these aren't necessarily the most ridiculous powers, just the ones that came to my mind first:

-Wolverine's ability to survive and move about after being reduced to a skeleton.

-Telepathy in general: People don't think in paragraph form. Sometimes they don't even think in full sentences.

-Planet moving strength

-Any kind of flight that doesn't involve some form of external/internal propulsion, gravity manipulation, or telekinesis (ie: Superman style flight).

-The way Classic Thor flew: by throwing his hammer and hanging onto it, allowing it to pull him through the air. The odd thing is that it actually makes a lot more sense than Superman's flight in terms of physics.

-Omnidisciplinarian science: my dad spent 9 years of his life just learning Pharmacy and Dentistry. He's not a genius but he is a sharp guy. No human is smart/fast enough a learner to get a dozen or more PhDs in under 10 years. Even if you could process that much information you'd never be able to fit the course load in a college.

-Class 100+ guys not breaking normies' hands when they shake them. I don't care how good you are at controling your strength, if you can crush mountains then you can break bones without even trying to.
--In the same vein, Superman having sex with Lois and not killing her. In For Tomorrow he showed that his blood has some kind of durability since when he threw a drop of it at Wonder Woman's sword the handle cracked. Presumably this durability extends to his other body fluids. Eh, Larry Niven said it better than me.

-The Speed Force in general

-Trick Arrows in general. Boomerang arrows especially. I agree with the bulk of your post. Especially:

Planet moving strength -or planet busting strength for that matter- and "force of will" TP resistance.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by Galan007
I think the Speed Force is the absolute best way speedsters can be 'reasonably' explained. Otherwise writers would have to come up with excuses for every single speed-related variable that exists -- such as why Flash doesn't disintegrate when he strikes an object while running.

On that note, I think the idea that Hulk's anger is infinite, and therefore his power is theoretically infinite is pretty outrageous. Wtf does infinite anger look like anyway? It's also odd that he can have these gargantuan boosts in strength without any noticeable increase in his overall size.

...But that could be all cleared up if Marvel were to introduce a 'Strength Force' concept. excellent

I was questioning Hulk's "infinite" anger the other day. For instance, if I was mad enough to kill another human being...how is it possible that I could become any angrier? Anger levels should just plateau after a certain point...lol.

King Castle
or if not stroke out from an aneurysm

dmills
I think the Speed Force is the absolute best way speedsters can be 'reasonably' explained. Otherwise writers would have to come up with excuses for every single speed-related variable that exists -- such as why Flash doesn't disintegrate when he strikes an object while running. Having an extra-simensional energy that not only fuels, but protects speedsters was honestly a great idea on their part, imo.

...But that could all be cleared up if Marvel were to introduce a 'Strength Force' concept. excellent Which is why I said any so-called class 100+ strength that isn't psionically reinforced or explained by some other similar means is garbage.

Tattoos N Scars
or if not stroke out from an aneurysm

laughing

Exactly

Creshosk
Which is why I said any so-called class 100+ strength that isn't psionically reinforced or explained by some other similar means is garbage. Application of force over a smaller area means greater penetration. Such as a sharper knife. Means pretty much the superstrength people would tear through what they were trying to pick up as if it were tissue paper. Like try picking up a plastic grocery bag without distorting its shape.

King Castle
i would love to see hulk stroke out in middle battle when he has the upper hand from an aneurysm.

(standing over his enemy about to deliver the final blow)Hulk strongest one there........aahh!!!.. (slumps over)

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Creshosk
Application of force over a smaller area means greater penetration. Such as a sharper knife. Means pretty much the superstrength people would tear through what they were trying to pick up as if it were tissue paper. Like try picking up a plastic grocery bag without distorting its shape.
Also the act of pushing a planet sized object wouldn't be all that intense from the perspective of people on the planet.

"Little girl: Mommy why is that man pushing at the ground and grunting?
Mother: Look away, dear, he's probably a junkie going through withdrawals."

Tattoos N Scars
i would love to see hulk stroke out in middle battle when he has the upper hand from an aneurysm.

(standing over his enemy about to deliver the final blow)Hulk strongest one there........aahh!!!.. (slumps over)

Hulk needs his blood pressure medicine.

dmills
What's funny is that although the medium requires a certain willing suspension of disbelief, some things are just beyond ridiculous. Even for comics laughing

psycho gundam
I think the Speed Force is the absolute best way speedsters can be 'reasonably' explained. Otherwise writers would have to come up with excuses for every single speed-related variable that exists, such as why Flash doesn't disintegrate when he strikes an object while running -- but instead they opted to introduce an extra-dimensional energy that not only fuels, but protects speedsters... T'was honestly a great idea on their part, imo.

...But that could all be cleared up if Marvel were to introduce a 'Strength Force' concept. excellent speed force is a pile of steaming shite

-cosmic armour

-the sword of superman

-genis-vell

-rick jones's bullshit character history for that matter

-omega-class mutations, primarily reality warping and massive tk/tp. ghey/lazy

-hotu

-toon characters

King Castle
where is the supergirl scan where she is trying to move earth out of orbit while she is being watched by linda carter supergirl and rolling her eyes at the foolishness..

Q99
Originally posted by marwash22
What is the most ridiculously unfair or overpowered ability or weapon in all of comics? It can be standard to a character or just something that has happened once or twice, it can also be an item that isn't necessarily tethered to a specific character... e.g. the cosmic cube.

-Doom's power stealing.
-Doomsday's adaptation.

So, what do you think is the most ridiculous power/weapon/item in all of comics?

WW's everything? Wonder Woman gets so much more flak than male characters with similar ability sets.

At least chose one thing.

marwash22
Originally posted by Q99
WW's everything? Wonder Woman gets so much more flak than male characters with similar ability sets.

At least chose one thing. nah, I'm picking her... in general.

DC put so much effort in creating a strong female character that can hang with the "big boys" that she has become insanely overpowered. Not saying there aren't male characters who aren't over powered as well, in fact, that's the point of this thread... however, WW is so ridiculous that you can name pretty much any character (who isn't trans), and it wouldn't be completely out of the question that she could beat them in a fight or match (come close to matching) their feats.

WW's lasso is what is broken about her. Her natural powerset itself is pretty ordinary. Dont care much for the character though, should have been dropped with the silver age.

Omega Vision
nah, I'm picking her... in general.

DC put so much effort in creating a strong female character that can hang with the "big boys" that she has become insanely overpowered. Not saying there aren't male characters who aren't over powered as well, in fact, that's the point of this thread... however, WW is so ridiculous that you can name pretty much any character (who isn't trans), and it wouldn't be completely out of the question that she could beat them in a fight or match (come close to matching) their feats.
For some reason I read this and saw "it's unrealistic to have a female character who can defeat male characters"

Now I'm not saying that's the point you're trying to make because I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make here.

Edit: Also we have a winner, PC Superman's powers in general:
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/9543/supersneezeae9og9.jpg
In one panel PC Superman flies to another Universe and sneezes in space, destroying a solar system.

People often use that scan as proof of his strength (even his nostrils pack solar system busting power) but it can also be used as proof of phenomenal speed/the ability to traverse dimensions at will.

Creshosk
For some reason I read this and saw "it's unrealistic to have a female character who can defeat male characters"

Now I'm not saying that's the point you're trying to make because I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make here. Sadly that's what I'm reading as well.

Marwash, why do you consider her feats ridiculous?

marwash22

Now I'm not saying that's the point you're trying to make because I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make here.

In one panel PC Superman flies to another Universe and sneezes in space, destroying a solar system.

People often use that scan as proof of his strength (even his nostrils pack solar system busting power) but it can also be used as proof of phenomenal speed/the ability to traverse dimensions at will. WW is a big fat stupid head... that's my point! estahuh

marwash22
Originally posted by Creshosk
Marwash, why do you consider her feats ridiculous? same reason i consider anything Amazo has ever done to be ridiculous.

It's not sexist btw, there are plenty of female chracters i like, she just bothers me.

Omega Vision
same reason i consider anything Amazo has ever done to be ridiculous.

It's not sexist btw, there are plenty of female chracters i like, she just bothers me.
Singling out Wonder Woman when there are tons of other characters who embody the kind of outrageousness you described comes off as sexist even if there's no such intent behind it.

marwash22
Singling out Wonder Woman when there are tons of other characters who embody the kind of outrageousness you described comes off as sexist even if there's no such intent behind it. sure. I have no control over what people infer; i also don't particularly care if you disagree with my opinion.

Creshosk
she just bothers me. Why?

The most amazing thing about that scan is that he finds an uninhabited star system in another universe so he can sneeze in peace without destroying his own solar system instead of just going to middle of nowhere in vacuum to do it. He really was a a dick.

celeyhyga17
speed steel

Omega Vision
Originally posted by 753
The most amazing thing about that scan is that he finds an uninhabited star system in another universe so he can sneeze in peace without destroying his own solar system instead of just going to middle of nowhere in vacuum to do it. He really was a a dick.
I might have an explanation: if those planets weren't there to absorb the shock it might have caused a wave of Multiversal destruction that would make the Anti-Monitor's Antimatter wave look like a stiff breeze. superdur

Allankles

That one bugs me more than most. You see it used as an explanation for why the likes of Xavier don't easily shut down the likes of Hulk.

I think even the non super powered humans (Bats?) have telepathic resistance on similar grounds.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Allankles
That one bugs me more than most. You see it used as an explanation for why the likes of Xavier don't easily shut down the likes of Hulk.

I think even the non super powered humans (Bats?) have telepathic resistance on similar grounds.
Wolverine's is the worst. Fanboys argue that he can somehow resist a telepathy-induced seizure merely by being mad enough. Unfortunately comics back them up.

dmills
So if a guy has a problem with the WW mythos it = sexist? So I guess by that logic, all of the people that hate on the Bendis Luke Cage wank are a bunch of racists.

shokosugi
Superman's adorably cute smile and irresistible good looks.

Harbinger
So if a guy has a problem with the WW mythos it = sexist? So I guess by that logic, all of the people that hate on the Bendis Luke Cage wank are a bunch of racists. I think it has more to do with the whole "she just bothers me" deal; IOW, there isn't--or doesn't seem to be--much of a logical explanation as to why. You can dislike Luke Cage, or any character, really. However, it rings questionable without some sort of reason other than "I just don't like him/her."

dmills
Originally posted by shokosugi
Superman's adorably cute smile and irresistible good looks. Fabulous!

King Castle
you gotta be Seinfeld...

anyways...

lex and most anyone with prep like reed that can pull sh#@ out his @$$

marwash22
Originally posted by Harbinger
I think it has more to do with the whole "she just bothers me" deal; IOW, there isn't--or doesn't seem to be--much of a logical explanation as to why. You can dislike Luke Cage, or any character, really. However, it rings questionable without some sort of reason other than "I just don't like him/her." now you're making me sound like some random redneck who doesn't like Mexicans because, well, they're Mexican. I have reasons (though, I'm not sure why i need to explain why i don't like a character)...

-I'm not a fan of composite types, character's who're basically walking power conglomerates.
-I don't care for her sense of superiority (the same trait bothers me in Superman, so it's not because she's a woman)
-What she represents in our culture. I have no beef with strong women or feminists; however, I'm not fond of a character who's sole purpose is to be "alpha female"... a woman who can do whatever the boys can do, it's obvious and contrived. Again, it has nothing to do with her being a woman because i love Barda and Power girl; it's just when all those things are combined, it rubs me the wrong way.

Q99

Well... yea? Can't you say the same thing about Superman and the other people in that level?

Why single out one of 'em instead of, say, "every high herald"?

Originally posted by 753
WW's lasso is what is broken about her. Her natural powerset itself is pretty ordinary. Dont care much for the character though, should have been dropped with the silver age.

Now that's a reasonable reason. She actually gets what is effectively *truth itself* as a weapon.

Originally posted by Harbinger
I think it has more to do with the whole "she just bothers me" deal; IOW, there isn't--or doesn't seem to be--much of a logical explanation as to why. You can dislike Luke Cage, or any character, really. However, it rings questionable without some sort of reason other than "I just don't like him/her."

Exactly. We're talking what's most outrageous, not who we like/don't like.

Here's an outrageous power: Ancient Gina from the comic Gold Digger has time magic. Not only is it good for time travel, speeding/slowing time, and so on, but she can actually use it to hit people in different eras. She could be reading a history book, see something she doesn't like, and slap someone upside the head thousands or millions of years ago.

That really... doesn't describe her well. Except when written badly. One of her character traits is she'll take to anyone as an equal and is really down to earth and approachable when you get down to it.

That's really not her purpose either. To boil her down to one phrase, she's the "spirit of truth." And then there's the whole diplomat-warrior thing she has going on... eh, sounds to me like you have a bad image based on her worst stories. Which I freely admit are out there, she's had way too many bad writers.

One gets distinctly different impressions of her if you read her good stuff and her bad stuff.

marwash22
eh, I'm not asking you to agree with my opinion, nor will i scoff at your rationalizations.

Q99
eh, I'm not asking you to agree with my opinion, nor will i scoff at your rationalizations.

Still, it doesn't really fit with the thread.

Creshosk
Wish I knew why I can't get into the character better. She's like a walking amalgam of things I like, plus this incarnation has that golem aspect to it.

That's the thing that bugs me, is I want to like the character more but...

That and the invisible jet.

marwash22
@ Q99

huh? I was asked why i didn't like the character... i answered that question.

the reason i listed her is due to where her power comes from; she's a walking museum of powers... that's what makes her outrageous. I can say the same thing about the Marvel's, Super Skrull and Amazo.

Q99

huh? I was asked why i didn't like the character... i answered that question.

Oh, I meant the first comment, which didn't really cover that bit.

Ah, I see.

Thor's the same way. God-types tend to have that issue.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
the UN being a part of galactus
now everyone always thinks its in his powerset so he wins every battle

Hey, thats just the way it is...

Galactus is a major universal force (the middle force between Death and Eternity to be exact), thus it makes sense (IMHO) that he hold a "trump card" capable of eliminating ANYONE or ANYTHING who stands in his way of fulfilling his role in the universal grand scheme...

And like it or not, a non-BS'ing Galactus that is hellbent on winning (or rather achieving a given goal) one shots any non-supreme being type with the Ultimate Nullifier...

rotiart
I dislike Superman and Silver surfer
They are illegal aliens and should be killed on sight.
Jk. Norrin can stay...

basilisk
Originally posted by 753

Superman I can accept as being the first of his kind and basically he will always be the kind of high-powered "top dog", whether it's golden age, PC, or current. It's just part of his definition to be top of the heap because he came first.

WW wasn't really like that. Unlike Superman, her creator conceived her as powerful, but still able to be defeated by regular crooks and vulnerable to most weapons, and well below Superman in strength and speed even at the time. Since then they have basically just turned her into a female Superman. But yeah the biggest problem is the crazy weapons they keep giving her to try to make her interesting - lasso that can defeat anything, swords and tiara that can cut anything, super-martial arts, gauntlets of strength, bracelets that can block any attack, anti-TP/illusion power, now godly lightning bolts and so on, all on top of adding flight, lightspeed, invulnerability etc over the years. All together those are a hell of a lot of powerups. What they need to do is get rid of half these crap weapons with no limits and get her back to basics - relying on her amazon fighting skills which are what distinguish her from a lot of other characters around that level.

Originally posted by Allankles

Wolverine's is the worst. Fanboys argue that he can somehow resist a telepathy-induced seizure merely by being mad enough. Unfortunately comics back them up.

Storywise I have a problem with TP power in general because any individual telepath, or team with a decent telepath, should be able to take down 98% of earth based villains in a few seconds, in some cases without even leaving the HQ. For that reason the writers have to come up with ever more ridiculous reasons why characters can resist TP.

Wolverine on the other hand has also become too much, even though I like the character quite a lot. He should be tough and a dangerous opponent for street to mid level characters, but I think he's portrayed a bit above what he should be and he shouldn't be easily beating people like Sub-Mariner etc. And his HF is just ridiculous sometimes. They need to tone it down.

AlmightyKfish
Molecule Man powers would technically be incredibly outrageous, if the character wielding them wasn't flawed in the many ways Owen Reece is.

I mean, his power set pretty much allows him to do anything.

Q99
Originally posted by basilisk
Superman I can accept as being the first of his kind and basically he will always be the kind of high-powered "top dog", whether it's golden age, PC, or current. It's just part of his definition to be top of the heap because he came first.

WW wasn't really like that. Unlike Superman, her creator conceived her as powerful, but still able to be defeated by regular crooks and vulnerable to most weapons, and well below Superman in strength and speed even at the time. Since then they have basically just turned her into a female Superman. But yeah the biggest problem is the crazy weapons they keep giving her to try to make her interesting - lasso that can defeat anything, swords and tiara that can cut anything, super-martial arts, gauntlets of strength, bracelets that can block any attack, anti-TP/illusion power, now godly lightning bolts and so on, all on top of adding flight, lightspeed, invulnerability etc over the years. All together those are a hell of a lot of powerups. What they need to do is get rid of half these crap weapons with no limits and get her back to basics - relying on her amazon fighting skills which are what distinguish her from a lot of other characters around that level.

Point of order- Lasso, tiara, being better at others at martial arts (not in the modern sense, but Amazon Fighting Arts), tp resistance (which is just part of Athena's gift of wisdom and empathy that was there at her birth), and bracelets that can block anything were all part of the origin design.

The basic power set was, from the start, girl of clay, empowered by the gods in various ways (wisdom, strength, speed, beauty, etc.), given an arsenal of Amazon weapons (lasso of truth with fantastic powers, tiara, bracers), sent out to carry a mission of peace to the outside world. Which all tied from the intended character message of strength through self control (hence the tying up with lasso, and the bracers which reigned her in) with a mythological bent, and, yes, her being the strongest woman in the world.

Crooks were not particularly any threat to her (unless her weakness was taken advantage of, of which she had two. Binding her bracers would remove her powers, and removing her bracers would make her go berserk), most of the time she fought supervillains. She was one of DC's top dogs from the Golden Age on.

At the time WW was invented, Superman wasn't particularly powerful either, and they both advanced in power roughly side by side. Why should he get grandfathered in but not her?

Only the lightning, the gauntlet (which she ceased personally using a long time ago), and the sword are really that new-ish, and the sword's not really a big stretch.

Everything else was either always there or was there in lesser form then scaled up (strength, speed, toughness, and even flight) ala what happened to everyone else.

The lasso actually got downgraded in some respects, believe it or not. Nowadays it can bind people and make them tell the truth, but original it could be used to flat-out control someone as well. Or a group of someones.

That assumes a fairly high level of telepathy/that it's not very resistible, which I don't think is a given.

I think telepathy powers often get out of hand- just because you can read/control one mind, or scan a fair number locally, doesn't mean things have to balloon to being able to auto-KO groups, scan worlds, etc. etc.. There's nothing wrong with just having a useful but not auto-win level telepath.

Uriel005
Look WW is nice but my issue is her powers have fluctuated more than superman's which is really saying something. I mean I like both characters and I hate both characters.
WW used to be vulnerable to things like bullets and such but now she can casually shrug off heavy artillery and super bricks. She also had her start as a mid to average high-tier hero doing street sweeps as superman originally did but relied more on her skills rather than inherent abilities. Superman has always more or less relied on just outperforming any opponent in strength, speed and durability.

Additionally it seems to me as soon as WW finds an opponent that she can't beat or out think in comes the helpful gods/location with a weapon of pwn designed to enable her to defeat her unbeatable foe.

I just think a lot of these items are incredibly absurd because if they were made by the gods then how is it possible for the Greek Gods to ever lose at anything. I mean if Ares was equipped with WW gear he would murder the hell out of any living thing.

Hercules with the same gear would kill someone like doomsday with little to no effort.

The problem I have with WW is that her gear just opens up so many plot holes that make someone say if they were made in the first place then why doesn't someone else use it or make a copy. Just like Hippolyta's girdle.

Q99
Originally posted by Uriel005
Look WW is nice but my issue is her powers have fluctuated more than superman's which is really saying something. I mean I like both characters and I hate both characters.

While that's true, I'll point out that in much of her early life she was more on the high-end of the heroes of her era, and it's not until post-crisis do you really get power yo-yos. Which, frankly, I hate too, but I think it's more of a problem with BS writing her at low power in some specific runs.

The majority of the time, she's still remained at the high end. So why's her high power, similar to several other characters, the problem and not the low power?

True, but while the emphasis is different, she's fought high-end bricks since well before the crisis. The overall level is still quite high.

I'm... pretty sure that's a problem that Superman, Thor, etc. suffer more than WW does smile

The only weapon I can think of that specifically fits that role is the Gauntlet of Atlas. She does not get new weapons often, and most of the ones she does have aren't much in the way of upgrades (fairly recently she got an axe. What advantages does it have over the sword? Or the sword over her normal stuff? Not much, really. It's just an alternate setup. The lightning thing on the bracers is the only real new power she's had in a long time).

Because they're incredibly rare one-of-a-kind items that even the gods cannot easily reproduce (Hippy's girdle was, iirc, made as part of a matching set, and it was actually re-forged to make the lasso, Diana's ones really high-end item), and such weapons, of which the gods do have the equal of like Zeus's thunderbolts or Poseidon's trident, require a significant investment of power (or the sword and such, which Ares does have the equal of, and so do most gods. Weapons that can cut anything and kill goes aren't rare for them).

Also, the Greek Gods do kinda walk all over most stuff they fight.

This also brings another thing to mind: She's supposed to be the champion of the Greek Gods in the world. That doesn't really fit with a low-powered hero.

SamZED

thumb up Or even better - Hulk's "Telepathy doesn't work on me because im mad!!! And the madder I get the more telepathy resistant I get!!!!! RAAAGH!!!"

Uriel005
Point is even if the items are a significant investment over the length of time the gods have been around their should be a lot more over the top items for each of the gods. A basic list that should have been inherent to each god items wise would have been unbreakable armor same material as the lasso, strength buffing objects, cut through anything weapons for starters. The idea that the gods wouldn't invest in at the least unbreakable armor is absurd.

Also even as a champion of the gods she shouldn't be at a level higher than the gods themselves. A champion of the gods in my book is that person you send as a representative of yourself and your pantheon not someone stronger than you otherwise that means that she would be a goddess in her own right which just isn't the case. Beating Ares in combat just didn't sit right with me as she is still not supposed to be greater than the gods.

Warlord
Originally posted by SamZED
thumb up Or even better - Hulk's "Telepathy doesn't work on me because im mad!!! And the madder I get the more telepathy resistant I get!!!!! RAAAGH!!!"

cap's resistance is even more ridiculous

Mindship
What comes first to mind...

- Magic: the ultimate plot device. Really, there are a lot of open powerset plot devices out there (eg, power cosmic), but magic seems to be allowed the most freedom to do anything. I believe even Galactus once stated he feared magic or didn't understand it.

- The problem I have with the speedforce is this: while it is a good way to explain how speedsters avoid superspeed pitfalls (eg, inertia, friction, relativistic effects), it also involves apparently arbitrary abilities (eg, speed stealing: I guess someone thought moving fast w/o limits wasn't enough of a power), and it is applied in self-contradictory fashion. Case in point: if the speedforce protects from relativistic effects, how does Flash generate an "infinite mass" punch? And even if he can "selectively" apply relativistic protection, 1) how does that keep his body in one piece; and 2) why doesn't his fist become a black hole? Clearly, the speedforce is being pushed to become another open-powerset plot device.

- Female counterparts to male characters simply for an "equality between the sexes" thing. Stop it. Just make original female characters.

Q99
Originally posted by Mindship

- Magic: the ultimate plot device. Really, there are a lot of open powerset plot devices out there (eg, power cosmic), but magic seems to be allowed the most freedom to do anything. I believe even Galactus once stated he feared magic or didn't understand it.

Seconded, or more specifically, spellcasting that's not giving limits.

A mage with spells that can do X, Y, Z is fine, or where there's a total power limit, but authors use it to make stuff up even more-so than they do other hyper-flexable powers.

amnesia

People often use that scan as proof of his strength (even his nostrils pack solar system busting power) but it can also be used as proof of phenomenal speed/the ability to traverse dimensions at will.

The fact that she killed Ares was stupid. Very stupid.

I'm not a big fan of WW either, does that make me sexist?

Colossus-Big C
Alot of wonder womans feats

Colossus-Big C

he should fear it, magic can be just as potent and even more than other powers by its very definition

Q99

I'm not a big fan of WW either, does that make me sexist?

No, but that doesn't change that a lot of people seem to give her a bum wrap and list stuff that's effectively "I don't like that she can do powerful stuff that other strong characters also do."

I mean, just look at Colossus-Big C's comment. It's so vague.

Killing Ares? Sure! That's specific! The Outrageous part is clearly visible! In other words, it's the kind of example other characters are getting.

But then you get... "And Wonder Woman.. 'cause she's strong..." type comments. That just comes off as major character bias.

Colossus-Big C
Originally posted by Q99
No, but that doesn't change that a lot of people seem to give her a bum wrap and list stuff that's effectively "I don't like that she can do powerful stuff that other strong characters also do."

I mean, just look at Colossus-Big C's comment. It's so vague.

Killing Ares? Sure! That's specific! The Outrageous part is clearly visible! In other words, it's the kind of example other characters are getting.

But then you get... "And Wonder Woman.. 'cause she's strong..." type comments. That just comes off as major character bias. she has knocked zeus on his ass before and tanked a combined blast of olympus.
and she once fought gods while she lost all her power just because of her skill

Q99
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
she has knocked zeus on his ass before and tanked a combined blast of olympus.
and she once fought gods while she lost all her power just because of her skill

Ah, specific! big grin

BattleMage
I was questioning Hulk's "infinite" anger the other day. For instance, if I was mad enough to kill another human being...how is it possible that I could become any angrier? Anger levels should just plateau after a certain point...lol. It's fiction wink

Originally posted by basilisk
But yeah the biggest problem is the crazy weapons they keep giving her to try to make her interesting Well, they failed at that

OneDumbG0

-Doom's power stealing.
-Doomsday's adaptation.

So, what do you think is the most ridiculous power/weapon/item in all of comics? If Doomsday had ever evolved beyond being punched to death, I'd agree with that one.

The Nuul
Quanchi-powered Thanos.

Well, I will match you and ante up with Shoko's or H1's Superman.

Sr J-Bieb
Wonder Woman's ability to beat men in her books.

marwash22
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Wonder Woman's ability to beat men in her books. see, that's what i was trying to say!!!! welshypeach

amnesia
Luke cage's ability to be black.

marwash22
Luke cage's ability to be black. http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/85335f4bee83bac44c6909290b1d80d4e3c04fc.gif

amnesia

marwash22
- Female counterparts to male characters simply for an "equality between the sexes" thing. Stop it. Just make original female characters. shifty

amnesia
I only hate WW's hardcore fans really.

People who prefer female characters to male characters. Obnoxious feminism...

OneDumbG0
^ People who prefer male characters to female characters. Obnoxious gayism...

awesome

Sr J-Bieb

People who prefer female characters to male characters. Obnoxious feminism... Or homos.

amnesia
^ sowhatifiamno expression

The Nuul

People who prefer female characters to male characters. Obnoxious feminism... Originally posted by OneDumbG0

awesome

So, what member are you applying this too? I have nvr seen a member on here that did that type stuff.

amnesia
Originally posted by OneDumbG0

awesome

Implying gay people aren't awesome.

dmills
laughing Boy this thread is going places!

marwash22
yeah, this degraded quickly, and right when serious responses were starting to get posted...

i blame the Norwegian. sneer

amnesia
Why you little...

The Nuul
Awwww someone is butthurt.

rotiart
Originally posted by The Nuul
Awwww someone is butthurt.

Gayyyyyy

The Nuul
Originally posted by rotiart
Gayyyyyy

Yeah, Norwegian's are.

Lord_Talron
f*cking women

amnesia
Norway and Canada is similar in a lot of ways.

Omega Vision
If Doomsday had ever evolved beyond being punched to death, I'd agree with that one.
Wasn't that one of the major plot points of H/P?

OneDumbG0
^ On three separate occasions, Doomsday has died from being punched to death. Doomsday was KTFO from being punched one other time.

During Hunter/Prey, either Superman wasn't strong enough or this evolution beyond being punched to death didn't keep thereafter.

amnesia
Doomsday keeps loosing because he wears dumb looking boots.

Existere
Editor Girl's power to use an editor's pen to alter character's speech bubbles, and therefore reality.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/SsasabVoQdI/AAAAAAAAKWA/n-to4XcVl3o/s1600/Bomb%2BQueen%2BV6%2B1%2B-%2Beditorgirl.jpg

Win.

Omega Vision

During Hunter/Prey, either Superman wasn't strong enough or this evolution beyond being punched to death didn't keep thereafter. That's probably because that Doomsday was killed by Imperiex in OWAW (with an energy attack). Lex resurrected him with the aid of some of Superman's DNA, so it's quite possible that he lost his adaptations when he was reconstituted and rebuilt from the ground up.

OneDumbG0
^ The only way that would follow is if Doomsday has now lost all his adaptability powers. Because after his restoration, he's been KTFO by punches and then killed by punches twice over.

amnesia
Originally posted by Existere
Editor Girl's power to use an editor's pen to alter character's speech bubbles, and therefore reality.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/SsasabVoQdI/AAAAAAAAKWA/n-to4XcVl3o/s1600/Bomb%2BQueen%2BV6%2B1%2B-%2Beditorgirl.jpg

Win.

That's probably the best goddamn weapon in comic book history.

marwash22
^ The only way that would follow is if Doomsday has now lost all his adaptability powers. Because after his restoration, he's been KTFO by punches and then killed by punches twice over. doesn't it have to be the same force? For instance, if Superman killed him with heat vision and Doomsday came back, wouldn't he only be immune to that specific level of heat vision?

OneDumbG0
doesn't it have to be the same force? For instance, if Superman killed him with heat vision and Doomsday came back, wouldn't he only be immune to that specific level of heat vision? I don't think that's how it works.

It's like Doomsday got hit with 50 Superman punches in Death of Superman and dies. He evolves past that, but as long as you hit him with 50 stronger Superman punches or 51 Superman punches, then he dies because it's a "different level."

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Existere
That's probably the best goddamn weapon in comic book history. thumb up

Lord_Talron
editor girl is my new favorite super-hero

doesn't it have to be the same force? For instance, if Superman killed him with heat vision and Doomsday came back, wouldn't he only be immune to that specific level of heat vision? that's waht I always though of it. there's no way he hadnt be killed by blunt force before.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Existere

Win.
Reminds me of an issue of Suicide Squad where a character bearing an eerie resemblance to Grant Morrison controlled reality by typing a story on his computer. He got killed when he developed writer's block.

Endless Mike
See my signature for the one and only true answer

Colossus-Big C
squirl girl gets beat by howard the duck 10/10

marwash22
squirrel girl... smh.

The Nuul
Lollipops! particularly hard-to-get cinnamon.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by The Nuul
Lollipops! particularly hard-to-get cinnamon.

I get it.

Black bolt z
Thanos.

marwash22
in what regard?

The Nuul
Originally posted by Black bolt z
Thanos.

Its your bed time son. Thanos is not a "power/weapon"

Uriel005
Originally posted by Endless Mike
See my signature for the one and only true answer

Said it before Squirrel Girl's I win You Lose power.

Allankles
So if a guy has a problem with the WW mythos it = sexist? So I guess by that logic, all of the people that hate on the Bendis Luke Cage wank are a bunch of racists.

That's not unique by itself (I'm not fond of her mythos either), but it does look like a significant part of the hate for WW is sexist. I'm not saying that you in particular are, but a lot of the issues people have with her e.g. something as simple as fact that she's as strong as someone like a Thor or Hercules if not stronger, gives the impression that her femininity gets in the way of acceptance in some quarters.

I have no issues with her on the part of her character/powerset, I think the earlier days of her mythos were horrible, but she wasn't the only comic character suffering under weird story arcs at that time, but even the more modern continuity of her mythos leaves room for improvement.

Personally her attitude is understandable - she's a warrior goddess or demi goddess and also a princess of a warrior civilization made up entirely of women. An odd mix of superiority, pride (bodering on insolence) and sometimes overbearing feminism is to be expected, at the start. But current WW for the most part has mellowed out, she's had enough exposure now that most of those extremes are out of her character.

As for her strength, she's like Thor but with no overt magic and better fighting skills (more finesse), nothing wrong with that. Superman and a very select few top tiers have the capacity to overwhelm her in a fight, nothing wrong with that. Her artifacts are a bit overrated, but given the fact that she doesn't have offensive magic, understandable.

Q99

People who prefer female characters to male characters. Obnoxious feminism...

Huh? One can't like female characters more without being obnoxious hardcore fans? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me smile

People can like what characters they like.

Uriel005
Originally posted by Q99
Huh? One can't like female characters more without being obnoxious hardcore fans? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me smile

People can like what characters they like.

I think he just means people who like female characters purely because they are female just to spite males. Also can we drop this whole feminist issue it's just getting annoying because at the rate this is going you may as well open up a is it sexist thread. Everyone needs to stop being so damn sensitive about the comments especially considering most of them started off as I just don't like the character. No explanation just don't like her which suddenly turned into your sexist.

Endless Mike
I like Squirrel Girl not because she's female, but because she's awesome smokin'

Q99
I think he just means people who like female characters purely because they are female just to spite males.

I could see that, but I honestly don't know anyone who does that.

Point.

And that goes for both sides- one can dislike her and not be sexist (I think she gets a bad wrap for other reasons, there's a negative impression/brainbug that floats around that doesn't really seem to fit. Superman has one too, but not as big), and one can be a big fan and not be sexist.

colossulrage
He's my favorite comic character EVER!!!! But i just cant wrap my head around how colossus has powers that allow metal to come from out of his body. i mean he is probably the most intimidating looking character ever but just dont get how the metal works

gogogadgetgo
wonder woman's laso - insta win?! cheeeeezzzzy!!
wonder woman's bracers - ultimate shield? come on!!
superman aura
wolverine aura
batman prep

Uriel005
Originally posted by colossulrage
He's my favorite comic character EVER!!!! But i just cant wrap my head around how colossus has powers that allow metal to come from out of his body. i mean he is probably the most intimidating looking character ever but just dont get how the metal works

And you don't question what exactly is powering all powers and mutations because I can assure you it isn't food. For Cyclop's optic blasts he must be drinking rocket fuel and wolverine must have a subspace stomach immune to harm to regen from a skeleton...

You question only one character??? Question how everyone is breaking laws of conservation of matter and energy.

And you don't question what exactly is powering all powers and mutations because I can assure you it isn't food. For Cyclop's optic blasts he must be drinking rocket fuel and wolverine must have a subspace stomach immune to harm to regen from a skeleton...

You question only one character??? Question how everyone is breaking laws of conservation of matter and energy.

Cyclops actually absorbs energy from the sun. Logan and hulk presumably take matter right out of the air.

Originally posted by colossulrage
He's my favorite comic character EVER!!!! But i just cant wrap my head around how colossus has powers that allow metal to come from out of his body. i mean he is probably the most intimidating looking character ever but just dont get how the metal works It doenst come out of him though, his flesh changes into it.

Lord_Talron
so basically healing factors are bio-alchemy?

Originally posted by Lord_Talron
so basically healing factors are bio-alchemy?

Yes big grin

this was never stated on panel, but it's the only way I can see it preserves conservation of mass. That or tapping into extradimensional mass, like the hulk might do when he hulks out.

The Nuul
Oh, I thought it leaked out of his ass then goes back up it if he doesnt need it anymore.

Q99
Originally posted by 753
Yes big grin

this was never stated on panel, but it's the only way I can see it preserves conservation of mass. That or tapping into extradimensional mass, like the hulk might do when he hulks out.

Galacta: Daughter of Galactus states that mutant powers and Wolverine's healing factor specific warp reality to a limited extent (and yes, that's her contemplating trying to make an Egoverine as a food source).

-Pr-
Originally posted by 753
Cyclops actually absorbs energy from the sun. Logan and hulk presumably take matter right out of the air.

he absorbs ambient energy from all around him, not just the sun. That opens the dimensional gates in his eyes and yadda yadda yadda.

Uriel005
Still my point was he was questioning where Colossus's metal comes from and that bothers him over some of the other more extreme cases of WTF the whole of the marvel universe breaks our laws of reality.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>