The Authority Film in the Works?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Nuul

The Nuul
For the actress who claims shes been in talks so far, she could pass for Angie. But I much rather have my pick, Jennifer Connelly.

Like the comic book IMO which DC completey messed it up will mess this up also, this title should belong to Ellis.

roughrider
No such thing as Creator's Rights at DC.

The Nuul
Just like with any type of media, the real people who does the real work lose out. The big shots make all if the money and keeps the rights.

Doctor-Alvis
That's going to be one gory superhero movie.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
That's going to be one gory superhero movie.

No it wont, Theres no way DC will use the core material. They will use their own campy watered down Authority and it will suck.

roughrider
So they can't make Justice League work, with all the famous names involved, so they will go with an analogue version?
DC just likes to tell it's fans that a lot of things are in development, without delivering in the end.

The Nuul
JLA can work but the gay hero stuff, ultra violents and swearing will not fly on the big screen with DC and it didnt really work in the comics.

JLA will get to the big screen before this would. But yeah, I agree with you.

roughrider
Originally posted by The Nuul
JLA can work but the gay hero stuff, ultra violents and swearing will not fly on the big screen with DC and it didnt really work in the comics.

Unless this is their alternative idea to making a sequel to Watchmen, because they can't get Alan Moore to cooperate. So do something in the same vein.
Seems to have become a tradition, releasing an R-rated graphic novel adaption near March break every year. Maybe they think The Authority qualifies.

The Nuul
Authority is much worse than the Watchmen. Yeah, some how they think the Authority are just like WM. Which is wrong.

roughrider
Authority is much worse than the Watchmen. Yeah, some how they think the Authority are just like WM. Which is wrong.

Well, Watchmen was first, for this kind of thing.

The Nuul
Authority took it to the next level and is better IMO. Not this DC crap.

roughrider
Authority took it to the next level and is better IMO. Not this DC crap.

That's a stretch, but it's your opinion. Criticizing Watchmen is like slagging Citizen Kane for movie historians. Not my all time favourite film, but wouldn't argue with those people who say it's theirs.
And it's not mainstream DC either.

The Nuul
Authority Revolution is way better than the boring WM IMO. WM is overrated.

srankmissingnin
Doesn't seem like the Authority would be the type of movie to make back its budget, and unlike other lesser known comic film properties (like Kickass, Scott Pilgrim) you'd need to sink a couple hundred million into an Authority movie for it to work. I think think it will ever get made, it be a huge gamble.

BruceSkywalker
depending on the cast i might see this

The Nuul
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Doesn't seem like the Authority would be the type of movie to make back its budget, and unlike other lesser known comic film properties (like Kickass, Scott Pilgrim) you'd need to sink a couple hundred million into an Authority movie for it to work. I think think it will ever get made, it be a huge gamble.

WM worked. The issue is that The Authority are hard core and DC is not.

srankmissingnin
The Watchmen is was a box office disappointment and unlike the the Authority, the Watchmen is a seminal piece of literature. Not comic book literature but literature period, it makes 100 book lists.

Authority had one great run, more than 10 years ago, when Ellis and Hitch were on the book... and even that run was no Planetary.

The Nuul
WM is a good comicbook movie and done properly, so can be The Authority. The Authority's best is the Revolution arc and done by Brubaker.

srankmissingnin
WM is a good comicbook movie and done properly, so can be The Authority. The Authority's best is the Revolution arc and done by Brubaker.

Oh, it can be a good movie for sure... but I just don't think it will be a movie that makes any money, which is sadly the bottom line.

The first two Authority runs by Ellis and Millar's were better than Brubakers, by a pretty significant margin IMO.

willRules
This is ironic as the Authority became renowned as the comic to herald in the cinematic panel layout. The idea that the comic could be treated like a large scale movie. Prior to this, with the possible exception of Morrison's run on JLA, this hadn't really been done. Millar continued this trend with his run on the title and perfected it on his run of the Ultimates, which in turn is rumoured to be the foundation for the Avengers movie.

It's odd how these things sometimes come full circle- movie inspired comics, inspiring movies.

roughrider
Don't think there's a big enough audience for this, with the content that will be part of it. Animated film is more realistic.

The Nuul
They can probably get away with a lot more if it was Animated but its still DC and thats the problem.

Bentley
The Authority works as a gore underground film with every character's name changed and no image on the cover so DC doesn't sue the producer's *ss.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.