Bane vs ROTS Obi-Wan Kenobi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3
Sabers only. battle takes place where Anakin and Kenobi fought in ROTS.

This Bane at his best.

Who wins?

Lord Lucien
Just sabers then, Kenobi's got a helluva chance at winning. Give Bane any Force powers though and Obi's f*cked.

Slash_KMC
Kenobi's defenses can't be defeated!!!!!!1!1!!111

Lord Lucien
Never EVAR.

truejedi
Originally posted by Slash_KMC

qft.. : )

chilled monkey
Originally posted by Slash_KMC

Tell that to Darth Tyrannus. The guy who defeated Kenobi twice.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Tell that to Darth Tyrannus. The guy who defeated Kenobi twice.

Read the OP. Sabers only, and RotS Kenobi.

Pwned
Kenobis saber defenses rely on use of the force, do they not? Bane is just huge and strong going for him XD

Slash_KMC
You haven't listened to ESB Yoda, have you.

Pwned
What did he say? its been forever since i saw that movie

truejedi
size matters not.

Slash_KMC
Kids these days...

Pwned
Well, I think Yoda was talking that size didnt matter to a force user

sure, size isnt always the defining factor, but if Kenobi doesnt have to force to stave off the fatigue of Banes Djem So, then i sont think he would last all that long. Bane is, to put it simply, huge

He is a 2 meter tall miner that was mining stuff that is more than likely heavier than steel. To put in an example, he bit off a mans thumb, albeit possibly unconciously using the force to augment his jaw strength

mattatom
*Subconciously, and that's not impressive in the slightest, I'm thin to the point of being a skeleton and i've almost severed a mates finger before. big grin

Pwned
Meh

I dont exactly know how Soresu works, so im not entirely sure exactly what could be used to get through Kenobis defenses, other than 20 strikes per second

zephiel7
Bane wins through power bomb. Afterwards he flexes double bicep and most muscular poses.

Aede Madavan
lol laughing out loud

I can't help but feel responsible for your return somehow. big grin

(inside joke btw peoples)

zephiel7
Originally posted by Aede Madavan
lol laughing out loud

I can't help but feel responsible for your return somehow. big grin

(inside joke btw peoples)

LOL! I was just checking my hotmail when I remembered that I used to post here every so now and then. wink

Seems like a lot of the older guys have left.

Aede Madavan
A few people have though they still come back for the most part. Though Gideon/Escape 81 was actually recently permanently banned for apparently being a sock. laughing out loud

Darth Truculent
Soresu is a defensive lightsaber form and Obi-Wan is the absolutely undisputed master of Soresu. Bane may look and stocky like Brock Lesnar and utilize Djem So like Anakin, but Obi-Wan has a definite possibilty of winning as Lucien stated. Kenobi defeated a blood lusted Anakin who practiced Djem So and he and Anakin sparred many times so Obi-Wan would be very familiar with the form.

zephiel7
Just so we're clear, I'm not picking a position - just contributing to the argument. I haven't really kept up with the Darth Bane mythos beyond the rule of two - and I'm assuming at his prime Bane was wearing the Orbalisk armour.

From what I understand, Bane with the orbalisk armour is really only vulnerable to lightning, and certain gaps such as his neck, where the armour does not extend to. With those exceptions taken into account, he's pretty much impervious to vibroblades, blaster fire, ligthsabers etc. Added to that, they augment his physical power, speed, stamina, and his force abilities (which in turn augment the aforementioned attributes).

On a similar note, he's described in the novels as a heavily muscled man of around 6'4 - so I'm going to assume he's tipping the scales at 265 to 285, very little of that mass coming from body fat. In short, he's a physical freak. With the force and his armour, he's an absolute powerhouse

Obi Wan is on the opposite side of the spectrum. Not as physically gifted, the argument could be made that he's technically sounder in saber combat. If he can weather Bane's storm - then maybe he can counter attack. But parrying all those explosive and fast attacks from Bane would be absolutely brutal, and being presented with such limited areas of the body to counter attack makes it hard for me to imagine old Ben winning this one.

It'd be like making Mayweather box Tyson - for all of Mayweathers grace and technical skill, Tyson is just too big, fast, and strong.

Lord Lucien
If this is Bane with Orbalisks, then I think that Kenobi will be killed before he hits a chink in the armor. He'll either do what he did against Vader, and manuever Bane in to a corner. But Bane's not the idiot that Vader is, nor does Kenobi have the familiarity bonus. Before Kenobi hits a chink, he'll make a mistake himself, get tired out from Bane's Dark Side-induced strength, or Bane will recognize Kenobi's tactic and pull one on him.

If this is Bane without his Orbalisks, then he's very likely going to lose. He'll have to spend a great deal of concentration on simultaneously breaking Kenobi's nigh-impregnable defenses, and defending his own very exposed flesh. And Kenobi has taken 20 strikes per second from the cyborg arms of Grievous---Bane's strength isn't the advantage it looks like.

zephiel7
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
If this is Bane with Orbalisks, then I think that Kenobi will be killed before he hits a chink in the armor. He'll either do what he did against Vader, and manuever Bane in to a corner. But Bane's not the idiot that Vader is, nor does Kenobi have the familiarity bonus. Before Kenobi hits a chink, he'll make a mistake himself, get tired out from Bane's Dark Side-induced strength, or Bane will recognize Kenobi's tactic and pull one on him.

If this is Bane without his Orbalisks, then he's very likely going to lose. He'll have to spend a great deal of concentration on simultaneously breaking Kenobi's nigh-impregnable defenses, and defending his own very exposed flesh. And Kenobi has taken 20 strikes per second from the cyborg arms of Grievous---Bane's strength isn't the advantage it looks like.

Glad we're of like minds. Without the Orbalisks, Bane is akin to an Anakin without the lightsaber savvy and force potential. Obi Wan would win by weathering the initial storm and possibly cutting of a limb or two.

But make no mistake, if this were wrestling Bane Lesnar would beat both of their asses at once. wink

RE: Blaxican
Wow. You just... straight. Popped out of the cuts, lol.

zephiel7
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Wow. You just... straight. Popped out of the cuts, lol.

LOL! Happy to see me Blax? laughing
What's new with you man?

Darth Truculent
Whose fighting Lesnar next? I forgot.

Anyway, Bane, even with the orbalisk armor has a weakness - fatigue. A heavyweight like Bane eventually would tire due to the exertions of strength that Djem So requires. It is not an elegant fencing form like Makashi which does not require power. Obi-Wan, the master of Soresu could deflect and redirect the attacks of Bane.

Pwned
Yeah, that is true. As we all agreed, with even a hint of the force Bane would win, but in sabers alone, Bane could only take this if he doesnt wear down. Im to lazy to check the OP, but can they use the force to fight off fatigue? If so, this is an incedibly LONG duel. Bane, at the beginning of his traing, BEFORE he killed Fohargh, he could run 5 KM at nearly full speed before he started breathing hard. 5 KM is a considerable distance to run with even breathing.

zephiel7
Haha Brock is fighting Cain Velasquez next.

I think Brock is going to run him over. Cain is a tough guy, but Brock might be the most closely related specimen we have to a silver back gorilla stick out tongue

DARTH POWER
Bumping this so NCRotCA can give some opposing arguments smile

NCRotCA
*I will interpret Bane at his best to be RoT Bane*

Under normal circumstances, even without the orbalisk armour, I think Bane would defeat Obi-Wan in a lightsaber battle, and quite easily.

He has the greatest showing of speed in the mythos, moving completely faster than the eyes of powerful Force Users could see, and this while he was still a student with something like a year of training (he now has over ten). He's physically massive, described as a "seven foot mountain of muscle," and wields a form that emphasises strength, despite his incredible speed showings. His general showings with the Force, which would reflect on how effectively he would be able to enhance his physical capabilities with it, have entered the planetary scale in power and the subatomic scale in control, which makes him uniquely equipped with using the Force on a small scale as far as showings are concerned; a small scale such as his body. Physically, or through any Force related element of lightsaber combat, Obi-Wan essentially cannot hope to compete. Bane will be far quicker, far stronger, and will have greater reserves of energy. Obi-Wan has nothing to his name in this regard and by all available evidence is nothing exceptional. It's not close in this department.

Technically speaking, Obi-Wan kept in constant practise with his lightsaber ability and was highly renowned for his ability with Soresu. That being said Bane does demonstrate an incredible learning rate with the lightsaber (the kind we haven't ever seen elsewhere) when he becomes perfectly familiar with the hundreds of thousands of moves that make up Kas'im's knowledge of all seven forms of the lightsaber for the double bladed lightsaber in a matter of months. While he had been placing an emphasis on learning Kas'im's moves it would be unlikely that he wouldn't have placed a similar emphasis on his own, and given that Djem So was deemed the form he had the most talent in I would imagine his improvement rate with the form would have been even greater. And we do know that he kept in practise during RoT and sparred with Zannah in lightsaber combat, and this is over a ten year period, when the same Bane achieves feats on par with the greatest of masters in something like a matter of months. In terms of technical ability, I'd probably give Bane the edge again, though it's certainly closer in this department.

Now when we factor in the orbalisk armour, it becomes overkill. Not only does it provide considerable improvements to Bane's Force power, reserves of Force energy, adrenaline levels and stamina, which alone makes him a vastly better fighter on a physical/Force assisted plain than he already even was, but it also protects 90%~ of his body, meaning that Bane only has to really protect his head (everywhere else that the orbalisks don't fully cover are small enough and don't lead to vital areas that the orbalisk's healing rate will perfectly repair the damage in a matter of moments) and doesn't have to worry about the rest of his body. So essentially what we have here is a set of armour that takes one of the very elite combatants in the mythos, ups his physical and Force related characteristics substantially, and then provides perfect protection to 90%~ of his body. Bane only has to devote a minimal amount of his efforts, attention and stance on protecting himself, is able to devote far more to attacking offensively without exposing his vulnerabilities than any other combatant would be able to, is able to integrate his body into his style, both offensively and defencively, granting him an entirely unique style that Obi-Wan would be completely unprepared against (which as we all know on the offensive front has the effect of overloading an opponent's precognitive abilities), and we can now look back at what I was saying in the physical/Force assisted departments and amplify everthing substantially.

It's not close. To be honest this kind of thread is pretty worthless. Obi-Wan cannot hope to compete with the very elite of his own era (Yoda, Mace Windu, Count Dooku, Darth Sidious). I fail to see how his chances would be any better against the very elite of the entire history of the mythos, which someone like Bane most certainly is.

truejedi
Unfortunately ALL of that, ANYTHING he displays beyond what we see in the movies just became NON-CANON. Chee is not playing around.

Anything else for Bane the Ultimate, besides these exaggerated feats?

Nephthys
He said exaggerated, not non-canon. And anyway, **** Chee.

truejedi
no, he is making this website fun again.... for me anyway.

Nephthys
Well your sarcasm isn't funnah anymore. Cut it out!

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NCRotCA
To be honest this kind of thread is pretty worthless. Obi-Wan cannot hope to compete with the very elite of his own era (Yoda, Mace Windu, Count Dooku, Darth Sidious). I fail to see how his chances would be any better against the very elite of the entire history of the mythos, which someone like Bane most certainly is.

Well I think the consensus is that he can compete with the top PT era duellists in saber duelling alone. So lets leave out the obsalisk and Force TK, Force Lightning, Force Storm e.t.c., but include force enhanced strength and speed.

Im going with you on this, that technical skill would be close, assuming Bane has completely mastered Djem So.

But I do think Bane's raw physical strength would win him the fight. We've seen many times that Obi-wan can be kicked and punched during a Saber duel, which does'nt go well for him against someone as large and strong as Bane, whose probably just as skilled.

truejedi
But at the same time, from what we have seen, we know he can be kicked and punched many times, and he is just fine. Be honest, when did kicking or punching anyone ever hurt anyone while dueling in star wars?

Nephthys
Obi-Wan got hurt punching Grievous.

truejedi
really? so BANE is the one at-risk of getting hurt if he goes punching and kicking then. I see no canonical (film) evidence that Kenobi is susceptible to injury from punching or kicking. He is a BEAST when it comes to absorbing such punishment.

Nephthys
Actually it was a kick: 4.05

3XqKvKUTElA

Yeah, he gets the utter shit kicked out of him in this fight lol.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by truejedi
really? so BANE is the one at-risk of getting hurt if he goes punching and kicking then. I see no canonical (film) evidence that Kenobi is susceptible to injury from punching or kicking. He is a BEAST when it comes to absorbing such punishment.

Obi-wan's the beast here out of Bane and him? Come on.

And did you miss TPM where Maul Kicked Obiwan 3 stories down.

Or Season 3 episode 2 of CW where Greivous puches him to the floor, and he has to resort to using the Force on him.

Also in the ROTS novel and comic Dooku knocks Obiwan unconcious with a kick in the face. And before you say its not canon because it doesnt happen in the movie, im just pointing that out because it was probably in the script as well.

In any case we know Count Dooku kicked Anakin onto his butt, and dnt tell me Obiwan can take more punishment than Anakin.

truejedi
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Obi-wan's the beast here out of Bane and him? Come on.

And did you miss TPM where Maul Kicked Obiwan 3 stories down.

Or Season 3 episode 2 of CW where Greivous puches him to the floor, and he has to resort to using the Force on him.

Also in the ROTS novel and comic Dooku knocks Obiwan unconcious with a kick in the face. And before you say its not canon because it doesnt happen in the movie, im just pointing that out because it was probably in the script as well.

In any case we know Count Dooku kicked Anakin onto his butt, and dnt tell me Obiwan can take more punishment than Anakin.

You are agreeing with me then? because all of these things happened to kenobi and he kept coming back for more.

Kenobi can take infinite physical punishment is what we have learned from watching the movies.

(and yes, dropping the railing on kenobi is what took him out of that fight, not the FORCE CHOKE). Undeniably Canon.

DARTH POWER
You are agreeing with me then? because all of these things happened to kenobi and he kept coming back for more.

Kenobi can take infinite physical punishment is what we have learned from watching the movies.

(and yes, dropping the railing on kenobi is what took him out of that fight, not the FORCE CHOKE). Undeniably Canon.

LOL! INfinite punishment?! What are you on about.. Greivous punched him in CW and he was down on the floor.. He had to defend himself with the Force..

Maul sent him flying with a kick.. Flying! And he was disarmed, lucky for Kenobi Qui-Gon was fairing better at that point.

And yes the Force Choke DID put Kenobi out of that fight. He was knocked out before the railing fell on him. Canon mate! Totally Canon! His Infinite Powers of taking punishment didnt help him there. Lol!

truejedi
A railing is not a kick or a punch!

And obviously the kick and punch did not hurt him in the above situations, since in both instances, he got up and continued to fight. With grievous he was physically being held down, not hurt.

He was sent flying with a kick, sure, not hurt by it. He was knocked to the floor by Grievous, not hurt by him.

You need evidence where a kick or a punch hurt him. I'll save you the trouble: None exists.

DARTH POWER
A railing is not a kick or a punch!

He was knocked out by the Force choke.

And obviously the kick and punch did not hurt him in the above situations, since in both instances, he got up and continued to fight.

Not instantly. He was in serious danger when Maul Kicked him so hard his Lightsaber fell out of his hand. It took him a while to get back into the fight. And he shouts when getting hit. Id say that means he was hurt.

With grievous he was physically being held down, not hurt.

Urm no.. Im talking about S.3 EP.2. Obi-wan is duelling Greivous, who punches him to the floor. He doesnt get back up when GG is approaching him, so has to use the Force on him.

He was sent flying with a kick, sure, not hurt by it. He was knocked to the floor by Grievous, not hurt by him.

You need evidence where a kick or a punch hurt him. I'll save you the trouble: None exists.

LOL yeah im sure all the Grunting sounds and Landing on his butt was just Obi-wan was enjoying himself.

I reckon Kenobi wnt fair well against any Skilled Jedi/Sith whose a Physical beast, or a beast in the Force. Bane is both.

truejedi
I miss rex. He would have told me to stop being sarcastic a long time ago. I liked the punishment. I respond well to.... discipline...

DARTH POWER
Yeah I really cant tell when your being sarcastic

Slash_KMC
Yeah I really cant tell when your being sarcastic

General rule is: always.

Jinsoku Takai
He was knocked out by the Force choke.

No DP, he wasn't. He was knocked unconcious by his impact with the railing, NOT by the choke.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
No DP, he wasn't. He was knocked unconcious by his impact with the railing, NOT by the choke.

Just watched it again. Your right. It was on the initial impact, but he was already unconcious before Dooku brought down the railing on him.

Man the Count seriosuly kicked butt in that scene.

ares834
I miss rex. He would have told me to stop being sarcastic a long time ago. I liked the punishment. I respond well to.... discipline...
I miss Rex as well... This place has gone to the shit hole since he left, I mean Nebs back and been around for a week now.

NCRotCA
Unfortunately ALL of that, ANYTHING he displays beyond what we see in the movies just became NON-CANON. Chee is not playing around.

Anything else for Bane the Ultimate, besides these exaggerated feats?

Not necessarily canon, which still leaves room for us to logically discuss what likely is an accurate window into the fictional world of Star Wars. And the fact that we're dealing with a book that doesn't face any of the limitations he stated when saying that, as well as the fact that everything we know about Bane, both behind the scenes, background wise, and as it's presented in the story are all realistically in line with the feats displayed, means that we can safely treat this as an accurate canon installment. It's not something like The Force Unleashed or the original CW cartoons where the makers went out of their way to display exaggerated displays of Force Use and acknowledged that that was what was being featured, feature characters from the movies displaying stuff not in line with what they would be able to do in the movies, and are of mediums (cartoon tv shorts, videogame with CGI cutscenes) that drove such innacuracies (cartoons displaying dazzling imagery and animations and an accompanying story in line with that, videogames featuring overpowered gameplay with small limitations and an accompanying story in line with that gameplay).

Jinsoku Takai
Man the Count seriosuly kicked butt in that scene.

Hell yeah he did!

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Jinsoku Takai
Hell yeah he did!

He tools them both! Watching that scene again has made me seriously reconsider the outcome of a one on one fight between Dooku and Anakin.

RE: Blaxican
Which is strange, considering we all know how Anakin's abilities work.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.