Angel Sanctuary

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
Anyone who has seen the OVAs but not read the manga? I pity you. The OVAS are one of the worst travesties I've ever seen and the dub is definitely the worst I've ever heard.
A shame too. Crispin Freeman, Veronica Taylor, they're nice VAs. I think it must have been astonishingly bad voice-directing and awful script writing.

Seriously,I wouldn't have been able to read passed the first volume if it was full of such jerky melodramatic shit.
"My power is fading!!!" This is a line from the OVA. Setsuna says it when he's still just a student in school.
Next time you're beaten up, make sure to think "my power is fading!!" like some wannabe shounen protagonist.

The manga has its poetic dialogue and moments sure but mostly the conversations flowed pretty naturally IMO.

I must condemn spoilers to Hell though. I couldn't read anything about AS at all on the net without accidentlaly stumbling upon a spoiler.
For instance, I wanted to make sure Sevi had killed herself. I read the wiki article. It confirms it and then goes on to immediately say she appears to Metatron after he's nearly killed.

Thanks a ****ing lot.

The end was really nice and though the whole "God is a computer" was spoiled to me by TVTropes and my girlfriend, it was still pretty cool. Kinda wish there was some sort of epilogue as it looks like Setsuna and Sara are together again as regular humans but what will happen to Heaven without God, Adam, Sevi, Rosiel.... Well maybe Heaven's better off.

But what really sucked me in was how the series started.. It's basically a very classic love story (well in its outline anyway). Two people want to be together but society won't allow it. Nevertheless they still love each other and even have a big dramatic scene where they come together.
..only that's the beginning of Angel Sanctuary and the love is killed off almost as soon as it began. So AS is really more a cosmic journey through the layers of existence with a love theme in the background.

My favorite characters were:

1. Rosiel - Beautiful, evil, tragic.

2. Michael - Toughest little bastard around.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Angel%20Sanctuary/Mike8.jpg?t=1282794452
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Angel%20Sanctuary/Mike9.jpg?t=1282832257

But every character was well developed and as I prefer my antagonists to have some depth, I was very pleased. Everyone was given a decent motivation for why they did what they did in the end.

Really, if I have one complaint about the series that I can think of right now, it's that Michael and Lucifer never got a showdown. It seemed natural what with Lucifer being on the bad guys' side and Michael's whole "I WON IN THE PAST!" thing.
Ah well.....

And that's a quick summary of my thoughts on it. I'll try and think of a bit more later on.

Anyone else here read AS then?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
Anyone who has seen the OVAs but not read the manga? I pity you. The OVAS are one of the worst travesties I've ever seen and the dub is definitely the worst I've ever heard.
A shame too. Crispin Freeman, Veronica Taylor, they're nice VAs. I think it must have been astonishingly bad voice-directing and awful script writing.

Seriously,I wouldn't have been able to read passed the first volume if it was full of such jerky melodramatic shit.
"My power is fading!!!" This is a line from the OVA. Setsuna says it when he's still just a student in school.
Next time you're beaten up, make sure to think "my power is fading!!" like some wannabe shounen protagonist.

The manga has its poetic dialogue and moments sure but mostly the conversations flowed pretty naturally IMO.

I must condemn spoilers to Hell though. I couldn't read anything about AS at all on the net without accidentlaly stumbling upon a spoiler.
For instance, I wanted to make sure Sevi had killed herself. I read the wiki article. It confirms it and then goes on to immediately say she appears to Metatron after he's nearly killed.

Thanks a ****ing lot.

The end was really nice and though the whole "God is a computer" was spoiled to me by TVTropes and my girlfriend, it was still pretty cool. Kinda wish there was some sort of epilogue as it looks like Setsuna and Sara are together again as regular humans but what will happen to Heaven without God, Adam, Sevi, Rosiel.... Well maybe Heaven's better off.

But what really sucked me in was how the series started.. It's basically a very classic love story (well in its outline anyway). Two people want to be together but society won't allow it. Nevertheless they still love each other and even have a big dramatic scene where they come together.
..only that's the beginning of Angel Sanctuary and the love is killed off almost as soon as it began. So AS is really more a cosmic journey through the layers of existence with a love theme in the background.

My favorite characters were:

1. Rosiel - Beautiful, evil, tragic.

2. Michael - Toughest little bastard around.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Angel%20Sanctuary/Mike8.jpg?t=1282794452
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/Angel%20Sanctuary/Mike9.jpg?t=1282832257

But every character was well developed and as I prefer my antagonists to have some depth, I was very pleased. Everyone was given a decent motivation for why they did what they did in the end.

Really, if I have one complaint about the series that I can think of right now, it's that Michael and Lucifer never got a showdown. It seemed natural what with Lucifer being on the bad guys' side and Michael's whole "I WON IN THE PAST!" thing.
Ah well.....

And that's a quick summary of my thoughts on it. I'll try and think of a bit more later on.

Anyone else here read AS then?

I started to read it because someone said lez stories were in it.

Then, I realized it was for 13 year old girls and gays. Not my cup o tea. Edit - also, the illustrations are sh*t: bad art.

Pyron_Knight
And shounen is for 13-year-old boys.

amnesia
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
And shounen is for 13-year-old boys.

no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.