Most original powers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

YoBro
Which powers in comics do you consider to be very original and unique? I think Wolverine's mix of healing, adamantium skeleton and claws is very cool and unique.

steverules_2
X-men and spiderman

amnesia
Batmans power to kick you in the face

Thors power to punch you in the face

willRules
Wolverine has such a great powerset for potential storylines. Batman is also a template for badassary in terms of skills. You can just throw those two into any situation and watch the fun ensue.

Longshot has such great powers and that character is criminally underused in the X-universe or in the MU generally.

Bouboumaster
I like Taskmaster's power

The Nuul
Hawksmoor's power is cool.

Bentley
Originally posted by The Nuul
Hawksmoor's power is cool.

Its Hanksmoor mad

Captain Marvel had original powers until Superman stole them shifty

Galan007
Iron Fist.
Lobo.
Daredevil.
Swamp Thing.
Matter Eater Lad.

The Nuul
Originally posted by Bentley
Its Hanksmoor mad

Captain Marvel had original powers until Superman stole them shifty

Sill French peeps.

Omega Vision
Alan Scott, AFAIK he invented the construct-based power-set.

amnesia
Originally posted by Galan007

Lobo.
Matter Eater Lad.

That's... Interesting, explain why.

Galan007
Originally posted by amnesia
That's... Interesting, explain why. Lobo: Superman-level stats, arguably the most uber HF in comics, originally had the ability to clone, etc. It was a pretty original concept when he was first introduced (1983.)

MEL: How many characters out there can literally eat ANY type of matter/energy?

StiltmanFTW
Speedball.

La Bandera.

Silver Samurai.

Omega Vision
Dr Manhattan was fairly original considering he was an Expy of a preexisting character. A deterministic seer is still a brilliant concept 20+ years after his conception.

Galan007
Really? I've never viewed Dr. M as an original character at all. Guys like Firestorm, Captain Atom, Surfer, etc. all predate him. *shrugs*

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Galan007
Really? I've never viewed Dr. M as an original character at all. Guys like Firestorm, Captain Atom, Surfer, etc. all predate him. *shrugs*
His molecular manipulation power was derivative, I'll grant you, but the way his prescience (a power that's usually seen as incredibly useful in fiction) is presented as something of a useless gift in that he is powerless to change his own destiny and is just going through the motions as a puppet who can see the strings.

He's the first deterministic seer character in comics that I can recall and perhaps one of the first in fiction in general.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by amnesia
Thors power to punch you in the face

thumb up

Warlord
Daredevil

dmills
Definately Hanksmoor. I still don't quite get it lol.

Existere
Animal Man

Kazenji
Ghost Rider

roughrider
No character in comics had a healing factor before Wolverine had one. Now it's everywhere, artificial or otherwise, and used as a crutch for how somebody recovers from their injury quickly.

Bentley
Originally posted by roughrider
No character in comics had a healing factor before Wolverine had one. Now it's everywhere, artificial or otherwise, and used as a crutch for how somebody recovers from their injury quickly.

Hulk didn't have one?

roughrider
Originally posted by Bentley
Hulk didn't have one?

Nope. They made his skin impenetrable, before the famous rematch with Wolverine in the 1987 Peter David-Todd McFarlane issue, where Logan did cut him open, but found Hulk had a healing factor that worked faster when he got madder. A retcon after all the previous years, sure...but no one had gone after Hulk with sharpened adamantium all those years in between either.

SamZED
Wolverine.
It's not that they're original, they're a perfect combination. He can heal any wound + he cant get his limbs cut off + he has claws that can cut though pretty much anything. That's like a perfect combination for a killing machine.

jalek moye
when did wolverine even get one? i dont think he had one at first

roughrider
Originally posted by jalek moye

It was revealed slowly, along with many aspects of his character, when he joined the X-Men in (comic year)1975, after his debut the year before.

It was only coming on the debut of the Phoenix force in 1976, that we saw Wolverine's claws were a part of his unbreakable bones (the team didn't know that beforehand.)

It was during the early days of Chris Claremont & John Bryne, that Logan reveled off-hand in Japan that he spoke Japanese. It was during the same time that he reveled his name as Logan to Mariko; the rest of the team wouldn't know that until after the Dark Phoenix Saga ended around 1980. His response to these surprise revelations was often a terse "You never asked." The healing factor was confirmed pretty early.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by jalek moye

Uncanny X-Men #142. When he healed from Pyro's flames.

We've been given a strong hint earlier though, in issue 116. A dinosaur bit Logan in the arm and he said to Storm not to worry 'cause he heals real fast.

Q99
Originally posted by YoBro
Which powers in comics do you consider to be very original and unique? I think Wolverine's mix of healing, adamantium skeleton and claws is very cool and unique.

It's not very original though, it's basically a variant of Timberwolf's power set (healing, claws, and toughness/strength).

Kazenji
Jim Hammond

Bentley
Metamorpho has a pretty swell powerset.

Omega Vision
Black Bolt is pretty original considering there have been lots of sonic-cannon type characters before him. The explanation for his powers though are fairly original.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Q99
It's not very original though, it's basically a variant of Timberwolf's power set (healing, claws, and toughness/strength).

Except Timberwolf didn't have a healing factor or claws when he was created, that only became part of his power set long after Wolverine rose to popularity.

Cartesian Doubt
Ambrose Chase;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrose_Chase

The Engineer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer_%28comics%29

The Drummer;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drummer_%28comics%29

willRules
It was revealed slowly, along with many aspects of his character, when he joined the X-Men in (comic year)1975, after his debut the year before.

It was only coming on the debut of the Phoenix force in 1976, that we saw Wolverine's claws were a part of his unbreakable bones (the team didn't know that beforehand.)

It was during the early days of Chris Claremont & John Bryne, that Logan reveled off-hand in Japan that he spoke Japanese. It was during the same time that he reveled his name as Logan to Mariko; the rest of the team wouldn't know that until after the Dark Phoenix Saga ended around 1980. His response to these surprise revelations was often a terse "You never asked." The healing factor was confirmed pretty early.

Yeah, originally Claremont considered the claws just being housed in his gloves and was going to have Logan be a teenager or a young man of the X-men's age (after all in his first few appearences, we don't get to see him unmasked) when Logan's face was finally settled upon, he was drawn to look much older.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.